Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Makes you think. Why do we tip based on the percentage of what a restaurants management decided the food should cost instead of a flat dollar amount based on the work the servers actually performed?

Why should a server working at a place that charges $20 a meal earn less of a tip than a server working at a $100 a meal place? Both servers are doing the same job, taking your order, bringing your food, not spitting in your the food, etc.

What if we just tipped $5 to both servers and call it a day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Makes you think. Why do we tip based on the percentage of what a restaurants management decided the food should cost instead of a flat dollar amount based on the work the servers actually performed?

Why should a server working at a place that charges $20 a meal earn less of a tip than a server working at a $100 a meal place? Both servers are doing the same job, taking your order, bringing your food, not spitting in your the food, etc.

What if we just tipped $5 to both servers and call it a day?

I doubt the server who is taken off their tables to handle a 30 person party appreciates getting 1/8th the tip as other servers on the floor turning four tables twice in the same time period.

It seems very clear to me that you have never worked in a restaurant.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Suddenly a new tier system would emerge in restaurants where servers who suck up to the manager enough to get on their preference list would all be working the cafe (which for once, would now be a desirable location), or 2-tops. They're living the life raking in $5 tips in lightning turnovers for no effort while the guy who looked at Steve wrong a couple of times is stuck working 8-tops and 10-tops all night and unable to pay his rent.

Restaurants are happy about it because people are happy to order more without tipping more which further moves the balance to tips being nearly pointless.

This is a fantastic idea. Probably the best restaurant idea I've heard since tipshare.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

pencilhands main revealed

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I think you should suck on a percentage of my tip op

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Jelly posted:

I doubt the server who is taken off their tables to handle a 30 person party appreciates getting 1/8th the tip as other servers on the floor turning four tables twice in the same time period.

The point is to divorce the size of the tip from the specific price of the food, per plate. If there are more people/plates being served, then yeah tip more.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

I think you should suck on a percentage of my tip op

Even 100% here isn't going to be much tip

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I give out the same fake $20 bill that folds out into bible poo poo no matter where I'm eating

As usual I'm ahead of the curve and already implemented your idea

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jelly posted:

Obviously I don't think a server should get a flat tip per table. Although I admit it's not in the OP. Per person is clearly the intention I think.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Makes you think.

Wrong again.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
What if instead of tipping they just paid their waitstaff?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Elukka posted:

But then how would we lord power over those that serve us?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

bradzilla posted:

pencilhands main revealed

I thought you said I wasnt allowed to make topics anymore

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

yes, $0

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

pencilhands posted:

I thought you said I wasnt allowed to make topics anymore

you can post whatever you want at your own peril

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

anyway a lot of places have started adding an automatic tip but they start at like 20% lol

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
When I delivered pizza this was pretty common on large orders. Got many $5 tips on multi hundred dollar orders. gently caress that, it’s a lot of work loading 100 pizzas into a sedan, not to mention the prep work you get put on getting the order ready.

I do personally have certain minimum tip amounts that I give out. I used to eat at Steak ‘n Shake with some coworkers and I always tipped at least $3 for my portion, just because even a 25% tip was pretty pathetic on a sub $5 order

Triikan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 30, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Triikan posted:

When I delivered pizza this was pretty common on large orders. Got many $5 tips on multi hundred dollar orders. gently caress that, it’s a lot of work loading 100 pizzas into a sedan, not to mention the prep work you get put on getting the order ready.

I can relate, I've been in this exact scenario. The worst instance was me delivering 40 pizzas to an ace hardware and they didn't even tip. I wanted to slap the lady that signed that slip she looked so loving smug about it.
Next time, YOU can carry 120lbs of pizza out of my car, rear end in a top hat.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Elukka posted:

yeah if we're trying to revamp the system it's this

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Triikan posted:

When I delivered pizzas I took a huge special order to the air show and was directed to drive down a taxiway as a B-17 took off on the runway directly beside me, AND I got an $80 tip out of it. That was the coolest delivery I ever made. But yeah generally I was happy with $5 as a flat tip.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I had a doordash driver recently tell me that anything under $4 per mile is a bad tip and ever since then I don't want to tip anyone at all

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I had a doordash driver recently tell me that anything under $4 per mile is a bad tip and ever since then I don't want to tip anyone at all
lol gently caress that idiot, doordash has some real ones

"why won't people tip me+doordash 100% of the cost of my meal?"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Another time recently I ordered a pizza for pickup online, and it prompted for a tip so I gave a $5 tip even though it was pickup, and when I went to pick it up I had to sign a receipt that had an "Additional Tip" section asking for even more of a tip.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

delivery is honestly loving ridiculous, Dominos charges the cost of a whole-rear end medium pizza for delivery (not including tip obviously)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i go out to have a good time not to solve math problems

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Jelly posted:

delivery is honestly loving ridiculous, Dominos charges the cost of a whole-rear end medium pizza for delivery (not including tip obviously)

That's the cool part, they charge you a fuckload for delivery, making you not want to tip the driver, then the driver gets paid 4.25/hr.
(how it was when I worked for pizzahut anyways)

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

If you think about it tithe is like giving god a tip for letting you live.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

bossy lady posted:

If you think about it tithe is like giving god a tip for letting you live.

I'm not tipping for the experience he's giving so far.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

And I've seen the lives the people who do tip live. Not interested.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

That's the cool part, they charge you a fuckload for delivery, making you not want to tip the driver, then the driver gets paid 4.25/hr.
(how it was when I worked for pizzahut anyways)
It's very literally stealing tips from the drivers. There is absolutely no reason for them to charge delivery fees as evidenced by the fact they didn't used to for decades. There is no added expense, they don't provide a car to their employees. Ooo, gas, who gives a gently caress. It all piles onto the driver, who makes less % in tips than they ever have in American history.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Even some grocery store self checkout machines these days prompt for a tip and it's disgusting!!

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I don't know about Pizza Hut or Domino's but I worked for a smaller local chain for the last 3 years. Our delivery fee was split down the middle, two dollars went to the driver and two dollars went to the insurance my boss paid into, which was like an extra insurance on case something happened and the driver's insurance decided not to cover it.

Also there's exceptions to the rule but generally the better off the people were the worse they tipped. Presumably because rich people never need to work in the food industry.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Grey Cat posted:

My family went to a church once for a wedding and they passed the tithing plate around. When it got to my dad he replied "no thanks, I gave at the turnpike." Got his rear end, dad.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Servers are taxed on the amount of the bill, the government assumes you make a percentage of your sales in tips in the US

Spinz fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 30, 2023

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
This is how it is in restaurants and lounges for any credit/debit card tabs, lots of ignorance itt

If I wait on you in the lounge and the bill is 300 bucks and you stiff me you actually cost me money

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

bossy lady posted:

My family went to a church once for a wedding and they passed the tithing plate around. When it got to my dad he replied "no thanks, I gave at the turnpike." Got his rear end, dad.

They asked for a tithe at a loving wedding?!

Also well done to your dad.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i don't tip OP

i say, "here's your tip..." and then feign taking money out of my pocket before continuing, "get a better job ha ha ha ha!" then i skateboard away doing cool tricks also

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i don't tip OP

i say, "here's your tip..." and then feign taking money out of my pocket before continuing, "get a better job ha ha ha ha!" then i skateboard away doing cool tricks also

pencilhands, if he could skateboard

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

rear end-penny posted:

I don't know about Pizza Hut or Domino's but I worked for a smaller local chain for the last 3 years. Our delivery fee was split down the middle, two dollars went to the driver and two dollars went to the insurance my boss paid into, which was like an extra insurance on case something happened and the driver's insurance decided not to cover it.

Also there's exceptions to the rule but generally the better off the people were the worse they tipped. Presumably because rich people never need to work in the food industry.

Oh that's cool, "Hey we're charging you more, and pretending it's a fee, but we're actually just splitting a little extra down the middle between us and the driver without telling you lol"

Yeah rich people usually suck at tipping but I noticed politics weirdly plays into that as well. Oddly enough, Republicans don't have any loving compassion to tip.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They should just raise prices by 80% and pay the workers fair wages