Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

If you tip me a flat $5 a post I'll back up your tipping argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Elukka posted:

What if instead of tipping they just paid their waitstaff?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tip the yeti at a flat rate and it will spill

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Khanstant posted:

They should just raise prices by 80% and pay the workers fair wages

This. Let me tip to say "You did a fantastic job, thanks so much!" instead of "Here, so you can have enough gas to get back here tomorrow."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why am I Mr. Pink?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I'd just like a clearly defined minimum tipping threshold where I won't end up with spit in my food.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Who was that guy who hated tipping so much he got perma'd for it

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

redshirt posted:

Why am I Mr. Pink?

This question has already been answered.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Smugworth posted:

Methanar

He's Canadian, to boot

lmao

tbf it was more of a lifetime achievement in being a lovely person award than anything else

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Who was that other goon who made a thread about tipping 100%?

That was pretty bonkers.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Tip at a flat rate per customer. $10 for a 2-top, $40 for a 8-top

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

better to stop supporting restaurants entirely actually

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Jelly posted:

Suddenly a new tier system would emerge in restaurants where servers who suck up to the manager enough to get on their preference list would all be working the cafe (which for once, would now be a desirable location), or 2-tops. They're living the life raking in $5 tips in lightning turnovers for no effort while the guy who looked at Steve wrong a couple of times is stuck working 8-tops and 10-tops all night and unable to pay his rent.

Restaurants are happy about it because people are happy to order more without tipping more which further moves the balance to tips being nearly pointless.

This is a fantastic idea. Probably the best restaurant idea I've heard since tipshare.

For real, anyone who doesn't know that the bill (vaugely) equates to the amount of effort serving the party has never worked in a restaurant.

bossy lady posted:

My family went to a church once for a wedding and they passed the tithing plate around. When it got to my dad he replied "no thanks, I gave at the turnpike." Got his rear end, dad.

Holy poo poo that is some cheek lmao

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Methanar

He's Canadian, to boot

lmao

tbf it was more of a lifetime achievement in being a lovely person award than anything else

Yeah I think he got permd for doxing a girl who was way younger then him he was attempting to have a relationship with that included a massive power imbalance.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Saalkin posted:

Yeah I think he got permd for doxing a girl who was way younger then him he was attempting to have a relationship with that included a massive power imbalance.

That’s gratuity for ya

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Saalkin posted:

Yeah iirc It was some 18 year old and he's like 35, and he was like "yeah she's fat and has bad acne or whatever and just wants me to buy her stuff and doesn't wanna have sex" or something weird as gently caress

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

redshirt posted:

Why am I Mr. Pink?

you're not mr purple. some other guy in some other thread is mr purple! you're mr pink!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

yes it should be $1 an item ordered.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah iirc It was some 18 year old and he's like 35, and he was like "yeah she's fat and has bad acne or whatever and just wants me to buy her stuff and doesn't wanna have sex" or something weird as gently caress

Ugh I'm sorry I asked

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Why would methanar need that? Goon lore was that he had a mail-order bride. Maybe she didn't make the move when he moved to the USA from Canada to get away from gay weed smoking commies. Also, this is all before he became homeless after working remotely from Vancouver, WA because he thought he'd become rich from not paying income taxes. Lol...what an idiot.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Makes you think.

you're very presumptuous

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I just tip the ceo/owner directly. their the true heros who make the meal taste so good.

:smug:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

deep dish peat moss posted:

Even some grocery store self checkout machines these days prompt for a tip and it's disgusting!!

The places that ask me to donate to charity so they can scam their tax bill or some poo poo are loving infuriating

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Tipping should be a flat rate of $0

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a place like denny's should tip me to eat their food

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

i've worked in all kinds of jobs where tipping was an occasional thing

i'm in the uk. i think it's stupid that tipping exists at all here outside of a special thanks because it comes from the USA's awful workers rights, except in the UK waiters etc get paid the same as people who work in every other menial job + you probably are getting free or cheap food regularly, so you're just putting the bill onto other working class people when they want to eat food not from a supermarket.

i still do it but i just put a pound or two on and i've never expected anything when i've gotten tips. a lot of the event bar work i've done, it's just the hottest 20 year old women who get excessive tips from drunk middle aged men, too. and eating out is more expensive here than it is in america, too. it's just a stupid thing to exist, due to cultural osmosis and a desire to emulate americans.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 31, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Saalkin posted:

The girl whose uncensored Hinge account he posted went on a date with him and then politely told him she didn't want to go out again, and alluded to it being because he was a stingy bitch who didn't tip their server. This was posted in the Friday thread.
He came back from that probe and posted a bunch of gross poo poo about the age gap power imbalance poo poo he was carrying on with in e/n, a bunch of people called him out on it, and he got his lifetime achievement award.

Tipping threads just aren't the same without him kramering in to share the literal worst opinions in the world.

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Why would methanar need that? Goon lore was that he had a mail-order bride.
That goon lore is :wrong: but he did talk a lot about mail-ordering a Catholic tradwife as his last-ditch plan

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 31, 2023

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
joel was the better mst3k host than mike

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I keep reading that 20% as a tip is the standard and that seems fine for a country that lives on tipping because it's all a mess.

We don't do tipping here, really, but we do have things like this:
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/employment-conditions/awards/awards-summary/ma000009-summary

Minimum hourly wage for part time hospitality is $22.61/hr, maybe try something like that. It's the award rate, so employers cannot legally pay you less, that is the bare minimum, so of course what most places will offer.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

Minimum hourly wage for part time hospitality is $22.61/hr, maybe try something like that. It's the award rate, so employers cannot legally pay you less, that is the bare minimum, so of course what most places will offer.

my girlfriend is a bartender and she just took on manager for two shifts a week (sunday and monday, her slowest days) and gets paid $23/hr for it right now, and it's pretty much averaging out with tips.
If she got paid $23/hr for her thursday, friday and saturday shifts she'd be taking a $20-40/hr paycut

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

my girlfriend is a bartender and she just took on manager for two shifts a week (sunday and monday, her slowest days) and gets paid $23/hr for it right now, and it's pretty much averaging out with tips.
If she got paid $23/hr for her thursday, friday and saturday shifts she'd be taking a $20-40/hr paycut

I mean that's nice, the award rate also covers penalty days, minimum required time off, mandatory entitled breaks, etc. Also the like, not paying for healthcare thing.

But I guess okay, screw minimum rates for everyone, your girlfriend is doing pretty well lmao

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

I mean that's nice, the award rate also covers penalty days, minimum required time off, mandatory entitled breaks, etc. Also the like, not paying for healthcare thing.

But I guess okay, screw minimum rates for everyone, your girlfriend is doing pretty well lmao

most bartenders I know in town are extremely against getting paid a flat rate because of this, the whole appeal of that specific job is how much money you can rake if you're half-decent

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You realise that's just one award right? Award rates are a reasonable minimum payment requirement for any and all industries here. Mandating minimum pay, time off, holiday and penalty rates, etc.

That your response is "okay but we like it cause we make more this way" is probably the most American FYGM response that could have been provided, and no wonder the idea of taking care of others falls on deaf ears.

Edit: God forbid anyone isn't a bartender, those people working multiple jobs can go get hosed, retail workers should beg for tips because this poster's girlfriend is getting loads lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Haha loads

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

syntaxfunction posted:

God forbid anyone isn't a bartender, those people working multiple jobs can go get hosed, retail workers should beg for tips

hey, you said it, not me

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Is it normal for people to spend this much time thinking about tipping?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

there are a few (more and more) restaurants around me that say up-front something like "we pay our staff a living wage and the cost is reflected in the prices -- you don't have to tip!" so that's cool

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i think the right thing to do would be to transition from tipping to more of a loads-based economy such as you see among the bonobos, but good luck getting americans to do that

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Dick Fontaine posted:

i think the right thing to do would be to transition from tipping to more of a loads-based economy such as you see among the bonobos, but good luck getting americans to do that

I would like to pay with my loads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
The waitstaff probably deserve at least a 15-20% tip if they’re making $2/hr or whatever, unless they’re so terrible that they openly spit in your food while you watch.

On the other hand, what’s up with small food chains putting a tip option on the checkout? If I bought a soda for $2.50, a 20% tip works out to $0.50 which feels simultaneously insulting to the worker and unnecessary in a situation where all they did was lift a cup off the counter. Are companies using this as an opportunity to pay their workers even less?