Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

That is top tier. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Tim Biakabutuka
Chris Fuamatu-Ma’afala

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Jan Venegoor of Hesselink

Shirt printers who charge by the letter rubbing their hands

Also Ronaldo Vieira and his little brother, Romario

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 6, 2023

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/la-ramsby-1.html The Rams did not give him a shot.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevin-pittsnogle-1.html How could we forget the legend.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/karim-abdul-jabbar-1.html Chinese knockoff version of the original.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeteAd00.htm

They even played at the same time, so several people made mistakes in fantasy.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
My favorite player when I was a kid was Mookie Blaylock because his name was so fun to say.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mark de Man
Jizz Hornkamp

Anthony Philip David Terry Frank Donald Stanley Gerry Gordon Stephen James 'Charlie' Oatway

quote:

The reason behind this rather unusual name is the fact that both his parents were Queens Park Rangers fans, and decided to give their son the names of QPR's entire 1973 first-team squad. When his parents told his aunt the proposed name, she said "he'd look a right Charlie", and the name stuck.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

OH WORD SON posted:

My favorite player when I was a kid was Mookie Blaylock because his name was so fun to say.

Mookie is a great name, but Blaylock over Wilson as the childhood Mookie makes me feel old.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I've been thinking a lot about fish lately so here's my all fish team!

1B - Mike Carp
2B - Johnny Ray
3B - Randy Bass (had to slide him across the infield to accommodate Mike Carp
SS - Mike Trout (he played it in the minors.
C - Carlton Fisk (thanks pseudodragon!)

Bench - Gus Fisher
Bench - Jeff Trout (Mike's dad)
Bench - Newt Fisher
Bench - Jasper Fish (he played cricket, I'm sure we can train him up.)
Bench - Sid Bream (Thanks RC and Moonpie)

OF - Lip Pike
OF - Kevin Bass
OF - Israel Pike
OF - Tim Salmon

SP - Dizzy Trout
SP - Robbie Ray
SP - Anthony Bass
SP - Steve Trout
SP - Catfish Hunter

RP - Cherokee Fisher (look him up, he's a good read)
RP - Ken Ray
RP - Harry Salmon
RP - Chris Ray
RP - Carlos Fisher

GM - Alan Fisher
Coach - Tamer Tuna (Had to get a little bit creative here, he's a football coach. I'm sure he can learn to manage a baseball team.)
1B Coach - Jack Fish
3B Coach - Barrett Rey
Bench Coach - Nate Fish

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 10, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Anderson Koopa posted:

C - Gus Fisher

If you are counting other languages, Fisk is fish in Swedish so you can put Carlton in.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

If you are counting other languages, Fisk is fish in Swedish so you can put Carlton in.

Excellent addition. Thank you.

Gus Fisher to the bench.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Anderson Koopa posted:

1B - Mike Carp
2B - Johnny Ray
3B - Randy Bass (had to slide him across the infield to accommodate Mike Carp
SS - Mike Trout (he played it in the minors.
C - Carlton Fisk (thanks pseudodragon!)

Bench - Gus Fisher
Bench - Jeff Trout (Mike's dad)
Bench - Newt Fisher
Bench - Jasper Fish (he played cricket, I'm sure we can train him up.)

Here you are grabbing cricket people when Sid Bream is available.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Has anyone mentioned Ryan Peniston yet?

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I just randomly remembered that there is a Brazilian kickboxer* named Tiago Beowulf

* I don't think he was actually any good and I only know of his name because he was a coach for someone in the UFC but I can't ever forget the name

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Former Spurs center Tiago Splitter

Tiago is just a cool name tbh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Kwity Paye

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
There was a former minor league baseball player a few years ago named Rock Shoulders.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I would argue that horse racing is tangentially related to sports.

Today I found Bart Cummings.

Here's his biography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Cummings.

Appropriately he has five children.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Quan'tez Stiggers is the canadian football league's most outstanding rookie. I'm just imagining a bunch of kids saying it like he's their teacher: "Hi Mister Stiggers."

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Alton D. Slay was a cycling enthusiast, but also an Air Force general.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Just found out about Defensive Tackle Poop Johnson, who signed with the Toronto Argonauts in 2019.
On a completely different note, has anyone mentioned Hockey Hall Of Famer Nels Stewart, aka "Old Poison"?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brettbot posted:

On a completely different note, has anyone mentioned Hockey Hall Of Famer Nels Stewart, aka "Old Poison"?

He can join baseball hall of fame brothers Paul and Lloyd Waner, nicknamed Big and Little Poison

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

He can join baseball hall of fame brothers Paul and Lloyd Waner, nicknamed Big and Little Poison

Just got to get a poison pill included in their contract!

Also, I'd submit David Poisson, Pascal Poisson, and Gilles Poisson as poison adjacent people.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Anderson Koopa posted:

Just got to get a poison pill included in their contract!

Also, I'd submit David Poisson, Pascal Poisson, and Gilles Poisson as poison adjacent people.

those are french names. poisson is fish in french.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arivia posted:

those are french names. poisson is fish in french.

Sounds fishy

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
i forget if he actually did it, or cowarded out and changed it to #56, but Eric Haula55 (wore #55)

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Mike Commadore def. cowarded out and wouldn't wear 64

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Mike Sweeney was always good for a giggle

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

All Adjective Team!

I've been thinking about players whose names suggest that they have a certain quality about them. Some are accurate, some are not, but without further ado:

Colin Best (rugby player) - I think this is inaccurate, but I don't know enough rugby to definitively make a call

Wilbur Good (baseball) - He had a 13 year career which is respectable, but didn't put together gaudy numbers. I'd say that is acceptable.

Randy Johnson - He has five children, so I'd say his name is accurate.

Lousaka Polite - I can't speak to the man's character. Anyone have any interactions with him? EDIT - Fartknocker vouches for Mr. Polite's character and that's good enough for me.

Excellent Walaza (thanks Alfred Pseudonym -think I got that right)- Inaccurate he only scored 17 goals in seven seasons.

Marvelous Nakamba - EDIT - thanks the sex ghost!. If I am reading that correctly he has 1059 minutes across 12 matches. According to Google Premier League games are 90 minutes long. Per my calculator, he has played in the equivalent of 11.77 matches (1059 / 12). That's a lot of football to play against top tier competition. I get tired just thinking about it. Marvelous is an accurate descriptor in this case.

Ryan Longwell - EDIT - thanks Saucer Crab!

Bunch of Colors coming up:
Draymond Green - Inaccurate, he is not a verdant shade of green.

Derrick White -Somewhat accurate?

Michael Redd - Inaccurate, refer back to Green, D.

Vida Blue - I don't think he was ever blue.

Trent Brown - Don't want to touch this one.

Gracie Gold (figure skater) - Surprisingly accurate, she has won a gold medal.

Cara Black - Definitely inaccurate.

Again please feel free to add any I missed.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 29, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

South African former soccer player Excellent Walaza

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Anderson Koopa posted:

Lousaka Polite - I can't speak to the man's character. Anyone have any interactions with him?

Yes! I worked at the Bed Bath & Beyond that used to be a block away from the old Dolphins team facility. He came in a few times and was nice to the employees. He also looked like he could run through a wall.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Aston Villa and Luton's Marvelous Nakamba

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Ryan Longwell had a 16 year career as an NFL kicker, that's a pretty accurate name.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

A faint memory of an athlete has led me down a rabbit hole, one composed of people named Wonderful Terrific Monds.

I knew about the former baseball player with that name. Turns out, there's loads more.

Wonderful Monds II played a bit of college football. His bio is a family tree I can't quite make sense of.

quote:

Personal: Parents - Wonderful and Lois-Smith Monds...siblings - Wonderful, Devin and Mario...born May 18, 1992...father, Wonderful, Jr., was a First-Team All-American at Nebraska and played for the San Francisco 49ers…oldest brother, also named Wonderful, played baseball in the Atlanta, Colorado, and Cincinatti organizations...brother, Mario, played for the Cincinnati Bengals and Miami Dolphins…full name is Wonderful Terrific Monds II.

Wonderful Monds IV isi listed on a few recruiting sites as a middle school football player.

Somehow Wonderfull II's brother the baseball player is Wonderful III, despite being the older of the two.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 29, 2023

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A faint memory of an athlete has led me down a rabbit hole, one composed of people named Wonderful Terrific Monds.

I knew about the former baseball player with that name. Turns out, there's loads more.

Wonderful Monds II played a bit of college football. His bio is a family tree I can't quite make sense of.

Wonderful Monds IV isi listed on a few recruiting sites as a middle school football player.

Somehow Wonderfull II's brother the baseball player is Wonderful III, despite being the older of the two.

Sounds like a Wonderfull family :v:. From the world of chess I can recommend Awonder Liang.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Saucer Crab posted:

Ryan Longwell had a 16 year career as an NFL kicker, that's a pretty accurate name.

As opposed to Chris Blewitt, who was 2 for 5 on FGs in his career, getting three of his attempts blocked.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Josh Outman was a relief pitcher for a number of teams.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Grant Balfour being a decent journeyman reliever instead of a walk machine that flamed out in a couple of seasons is a real tragedy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Harry Potter (Rugby union) - England-born Australian rugby union player. Having started his representative career in NSW, and after a successful, title-winning stint with the Leicester Tigers, he'll be aiming to bring a bit of the old magic to Perth as he links up with the Western Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

River Cracraft

Puka Nacua

Scott Speed, the most ironically named F1 driver of all time considering his results