Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Anderson Koopa posted:

:perfect:

Excellent post. I was able to find one Faye Dancer -CF / P.

Ebenezer Beatin might be my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

If you ordered your list slightly differently you might have gotten:

Ebenzer Beatin
Dick Pole.

Dick Pole was my favorite. Short and simple.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I thought there was only one sportsperson named Cam Newton, I was wrong, there are three.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Newton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Newton_(safety)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Newton_(ice_hockey)

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
American racecar driver

Scott Speed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Speed

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Back when Speed Channel had the F1 broadcast rights, they'd have a segment or two during the race called, "Speed on Speed" where they'd cut to his car at the back of the pack and give updates on his non-race.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Full Collapse posted:

Back when Speed Channel had the F1 broadcast rights, they'd have a segment or two during the race called, "Speed on Speed" where they'd cut to his car at the back of the pack and give updates on his non-race.

Speed on Speed had me picturing Scott Speed tweaking out of his mind as he attempted analysis of the action.

I present to you Dick Quax.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I present to you Ernst Fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Fast

He got a Bronze medal so he was fairly fast. The appropriately named Emile Champion beat him though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A little theme of "body parts" in sports that are major in the part of the world where I live, but are niche or obscure in the US. Also figured I might include a brief history of each player.

Travis Head - Australian cricketer, represents Australia as a middle order batsman and occasional spin bowler. At the domestic level, he plays for the Adelaide Strikers in the Australian Big Bash League and the Sunrisers Hyderabad in the Indian Premier League. 2022 recipient of the Allan Border medal, and the 2022 recipient of the Compton-Miller medal for his performance in the 2021-22 Ashes series. He was a member of the 2023 ICC World Test Championship and 2023 World Cup winning Australian squads, where he scored in centuries both finals.

Errol Brain - New Zealand rugby union player, played for Counties Manukau Steelers, the Blues, the Chiefs and represented New Zealand as a member of the Māori All Blacks squad, a team that he would eventually captain. He was part of the 1996 Auckland Blues team that won the inaugural Super Rugby competition, and was the 1996 recipient fo the Tom French Cup which is awarded to the consensus best Māori rugby player of that calendar year.

Nevyl Hand - Australian rugby league player who played as a prop. He played for the North Sydney Bears from 1946 to 1948 in the NSWRL competition - one of the state and territory-based competitions that existed prior to the formation of the NRL. He was selected to play for the NSW Blues in the days prior to the formation of the State of Origin. At the representative level, he also played for NSW City during the entirety of his formal professional years. He appeared for the Australian international men's rugby league team, or Kangaroos where he featured in matches against a touring New Zealand team, and was part of the squad that toured the UK to play the Great Britain team. in 1948. He then made one final appearance for NSW Country to play the NSW City team before retiring.

Neil Back - English rugby union player, who played as a loose forward, primarily as an openside flanker. He started off his domestic career with Nottingham, before joining the domestic team he would most be associated with, Leicester Tigers. He would earn his first test cap for England in 1994, in a Calcutta Cup fixture against Scotland in that year's 5 Nations, which would eventually include Italy and be renamed the 6 Nations. His career would be defined by success, domestically and internationally. For the Leicester Tigers, he would be a key part of five successful premiereship campaigns, and would win the European Cup back-to-back in 2001 and 2002. At the international level, he would also enjoy significant success. He won the 5/6 Nations on five occasions, which includes winning the Triple Crown on six occasions, nine successful Calcatta Cup wins, eight Millennum Trophy wins, an elusive Grand Slam in 2003, and a historic winning streak against the SANZAAR, which makes up South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina that ran from 2000 to 2003, which culminated in England winning the 2003 Rugby World Cup. In addition to his England honours, he would gain a full set of British and Irish Lions tours, in 1997, 2001 and 2005, where he would gain test caps in all three tours and be part of a series winning squad in South Africa.

Tony Woodcock - New Zealand rugby union player, who played as a loosehead prop. At the domestic level, he played his provincial rugby for North Harbour, where he was part of a historic Ranfurly Shield win in 2006. At the Super Rugby level, he spent most of his career with the Blues, making 137 appearances and one championship in 2003, other than one season with the Highlanders in 2013 where he would appear 12 times. Most of his success was at the international level, where he would make 118 test appearances for the All Blacks and score 10 tries - 5 of which were against Australia. As an All Black, he would win test matches and test series where the Hillary Shield was contested six times, the Dave Gallaher Trophy was contested six times, the Freedom Cup was contest nine times, successfully defended the Bledisloe Cup twelve times, and won the Tri-Nations./Rugby Championship eight times. Finally, he was part of the 2011 and 2015 Rugby World Cup winning teams, scoring a try in the 2011 final, which also maintained the streak of props named Tony scoring tries in Rugby World Cup finals for the winning team.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Anderson Koopa posted:

Speed on Speed had me picturing Scott Speed tweaking out of his mind as he attempted analysis of the action.

I present to you Dick Quax.

Oh christ, this prick. Held the world record for 5000 metres once upon a time. In his later years, turned out to be a weird far right crank and local body politician with a particular hatred of public transport and cycling. Pretty much spent the last few years of his life as a laughing stock. I'd hate to think how awful he'd have been had he been around for COVID and subsequent world events.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

A little theme of "body parts" in sports that are major in the part of the world where I live, but are niche or obscure in the US. Also figured I might include a brief history of each player.

Travis Head - Australian cricketer, represents Australia as a middle order batsman and occasional spin bowler. At the domestic level, he plays for the Adelaide Strikers in the Australian Big Bash League and the Sunrisers Hyderabad in the Indian Premier League. 2022 recipient of the Allan Border medal, and the 2022 recipient of the Compton-Miller medal for his performance in the 2021-22 Ashes series. He was a member of the 2023 ICC World Test Championship and 2023 World Cup winning Australian squads, where he scored in centuries both finals.

Errol Brain - New Zealand rugby union player, played for Counties Manukau Steelers, the Blues, the Chiefs and represented New Zealand as a member of the Māori All Blacks squad, a team that he would eventually captain. He was part of the 1996 Auckland Blues team that won the inaugural Super Rugby competition, and was the 1996 recipient fo the Tom French Cup which is awarded to the consensus best Māori rugby player of that calendar year.

Nevyl Hand - Australian rugby league player who played as a prop. He played for the North Sydney Bears from 1946 to 1948 in the NSWRL competition - one of the state and territory-based competitions that existed prior to the formation of the NRL. He was selected to play for the NSW Blues in the days prior to the formation of the State of Origin. At the representative level, he also played for NSW City during the entirety of his formal professional years. He appeared for the Australian international men's rugby league team, or Kangaroos where he featured in matches against a touring New Zealand team, and was part of the squad that toured the UK to play the Great Britain team. in 1948. He then made one final appearance for NSW Country to play the NSW City team before retiring.

Neil Back - English rugby union player, who played as a loose forward, primarily as an openside flanker. He started off his domestic career with Nottingham, before joining the domestic team he would most be associated with, Leicester Tigers. He would earn his first test cap for England in 1994, in a Calcutta Cup fixture against Scotland in that year's 5 Nations, which would eventually include Italy and be renamed the 6 Nations. His career would be defined by success, domestically and internationally. For the Leicester Tigers, he would be a key part of five successful premiereship campaigns, and would win the European Cup back-to-back in 2001 and 2002. At the international level, he would also enjoy significant success. He won the 5/6 Nations on five occasions, which includes winning the Triple Crown on six occasions, nine successful Calcatta Cup wins, eight Millennum Trophy wins, an elusive Grand Slam in 2003, and a historic winning streak against the SANZAAR, which makes up South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina that ran from 2000 to 2003, which culminated in England winning the 2003 Rugby World Cup. In addition to his England honours, he would gain a full set of British and Irish Lions tours, in 1997, 2001 and 2005, where he would gain test caps in all three tours and be part of a series winning squad in South Africa.

Tony Woodcock - New Zealand rugby union player, who played as a loosehead prop. At the domestic level, he played his provincial rugby for North Harbour, where he was part of a historic Ranfurly Shield win in 2006. At the Super Rugby level, he spent most of his career with the Blues, making 137 appearances and one championship in 2003, other than one season with the Highlanders in 2013 where he would appear 12 times. Most of his success was at the international level, where he would make 118 test appearances for the All Blacks and score 10 tries - 5 of which were against Australia. As an All Black, he would win test matches and test series where the Hillary Shield was contested six times, the Dave Gallaher Trophy was contested six times, the Freedom Cup was contest nine times, successfully defended the Bledisloe Cup twelve times, and won the Tri-Nations./Rugby Championship eight times. Finally, he was part of the 2011 and 2015 Rugby World Cup winning teams, scoring a try in the 2011 final, which also maintained the streak of props named Tony scoring tries in Rugby World Cup finals for the winning team.

I appreciate the detailed write up!

I tried to expound on your list with some athletes from this side of the pond.

First up I have 3 pitchers for you. Two are appropriately named, one is not.
Brad Hand
Rollie Fingers
Bartolo Colon

Apparently Jamie Nails is a person.

Barry Foote is a catcher, not a football player, which seems wrong.

I found the following Beards
Alana plays basketball and Amanda is a swimmer. Neither of them are bearded.
Anson played old timey gridiron football. I couldn't find a picture of him.
Santonio actually had a beard! Unfortunately he also had a tragic life.

There are a whole lot of players named after Balls. Some of them have balls, some don't, go figure.
Neiron, Phil,Robert, Rudi, Sam, Keven, LaVar, Lonzo, LiAngelo, LaMelo, Catie, and Rachel.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 23, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hockey bodypart guys:

Jeff Finger was technically an NHL player. He was hilariously signed to a big money deal after a handful of games as a "late bloomer" but was really just a fluke year. "Jeff Finger money" became a joke for years. He was so bad the rumour was that the Leafs thought they were signing his teammate and signed the wrong guy.

Adam Foote was a defenceman who was pretty good, but he was the boring dependable type so there's not much to say other than he was good at his job. Won an Olympic Gold and a couple Stanley Cups. His 2 sons Nolan and Callen are in the league now but aren't that good.

Toe Blake was a legendary NHLer from the 1930s/40s. He was named as one of the Top 100 players ever when the league made one for its 100 year anniversary in 2017 and he went on to become one of the most successful coaches ever. Between his playing and coaching career, won about a billion Stanley Cups and would probably have made the Hall of Fame separately as a player and coach if they split his career up.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 22, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Has Creedence Clearwater Cuoto come up yet?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Anderson Koopa posted:

No, that's for the segment of him reviewing those old segments.

Speed on Speed on Speed on Speed on Speed.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Raper

I would consider changing my name to be honest.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Australian Football Women's captain of the Essendon Bombers:

Bonnie Toogood

Also former Fremantle player: Roxy Roux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Horny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciro_Immobile