Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Hello, and welcome to At Eve's Wake, a game which bills itself as "An interactive Lovecraftian horror story about surviving a family you never knew and their servitude to a dark patron." The Steam content warnings are:

Major elements:
Vivid descriptions of violence, murder and death.

Minor elements:
Real life bigotry and belittlement,
Implied abuse in relationships and family, description of suicide.

There is apparently some degree of New Game Plus at work; you are not expected to do well at this on your first playthrough, but to slowly pick up more information as you go. While I poked at the demo for this game a long time ago, I am otherwise playing blind. I'm going to do a run and see what happens. (We probably die.)

Apologies for poor image quality in the first post, I'm still adjusting settings.

The same letter that brought you all the way to the south of the Netherlands, before the gates of a castle that should have been forgotten.

As you stand before these gates, a sense of intense familiarity creeps up on you like an unwelcome guest. As to why it feels familiar, you do not know. For whenever you appeal to your memory, you find nothing but a festering void...

What you do remember is that your mother was always there for you. She was the only one left in your life after the car accident. The event that robbed you of your memories and your father of his life.

And now, there is only you.

You found her lying dead in the kitchen. The medics informed you it was an accident witht he stove that led her to choke on the fumes. It was a peaceful death, they assured you. But to you, a death nonetheless.

And now, with no memory, no family, no purpose - you may as well have died yourself.

(Because I'm doing this for Halloween I'm going to make some choices on my own and see what happens rather than wait around for every decision. But this one's a giveaway anyway, right?)

As you draw closer to your destination, you begin your walk down the long stone path. The dampened thuds of your footsteps the only sound you can hear.

Now closer to the building, you finally encounter life. People in fresh, crisp uniforms - restrained by new fabric. They look up, somewhat surprised. Perhaps you have arrived a little too early?

Some, however, some look at you with a glint of recognition in their eyes.

(Stat-building choices! Again, I'm just going to do a run and see what happens, so I'm going blue here.)

To the frequent frustrations of your mother, there was never a question you didn't ask. You spot every important detail, repeatedly draw the right conclusions and invariably have the right piece of information. And most importantly, you now know when it's best to shut up and hide. Wits are a dangerous weapon, and you know how to use them discreetly. DO you agree?

(The game asks us to confirm our choice, I do.)

The staff continue to observe you with a mix of curiosity and restraint. You return the same knowing look at the members of the staff, thereby acknowledging their existence.

The members of the staff react with shock as you attempt to show your good nature; they had not anticipated being noticed. You feel good about your choice.

... Though it feels like something in the back of your mind is screaming.

Perhaps it is due to the mismatch of eons in its architecture, the uneveness of its stone paths, the fading lacquer. Or perhaps it is the rusted ironwork that betrays a glory that once was but never again, and its garden overgrown with hawthorn and thistle. Everything about this place tells you that you're entering - no, trespassing into a world that is not yours.

Regardless, here you now stand.

In front of the large doors that guard the entrance of the castle stands a woman patiently waiting for you to approach her. Or rather, she tries to wait, but impatience strikes at her. She speeds up to you and presses her hand into yours.

> From the letter?

> You promised me answers

Lisbeth: There is a lot to talk about. But I promise you all will become clear in time.

(Let's cut closer to the heart of this, shall we? I want to see this grandmother of mine.)

(Stick with the devil we know. "Where are you taking me?")

There she lies, right at the end of the hall. In a casket more ornate than functional. Her eyes are slightly open, on her lips remain her last word, and her hands cradle what was once her last ounce of life.

Something jabs a thin needle into your memories. Slowly and painfully you come to a realisation. You know her. And seeing her lie dead before you, this long held and deep-seated anxiety in the pit of your stomach begins to subside, laid to rest.

(Because we have a hint of past, or because she good and dead?)

(We want answers, but the first one sounds a bit clueless. Let's just reflect a bit.)

(Hunt for clues, I guess?)

Try as you might, you can't see anything strange about her. Which is strange in itself; dead bodies are strange things, something akin to a realistic doll but with something essential missing. But not her. She looks like she'd jump and give you a real scare.

(I'm not sure we're religious and poking her to check if she's dead isn't an option, so let's go back to our guide.)

You glance at Lisbeth, and she joins you once again. Without asking, she proceeds.

(oh, I guess we loop into the 'who was she' anyway)

Lisbeth: You were close. Here, look at this.

Lisbeth shows you an old photo. The photo shows Eve with a collection of teens. You recognise yourself and some of the others you've met so far.

(We haven't really met anyone but the game did say we were kinda jumping the gun by coming here. Whatever, it let us do it!)

Eve looks sternly across time and space, right into your soul. In that moment, there are only her eyes, forcing Eve's presence into you.

(Just what is this family up to?)

(I wouldn't call that a twinkle but okay. Close?)

(That's odd. So she's staff? But there's more to it.)

('Became' Eve?)

(o-kay, we're getting weird here. Where are we going with this?)

Lisbeth: I suppose this is as good a moment as any to tell you who you are and what your fate is. You're here for the Convergence. It's when all our lineages come together and elect a new head of our Families.

(Oh great, there's a TREACHERY house. Also, which one are we?)

Lisbeth: Those who lead, those who accrue, those who create, those who serve, and those who leave. It is a perfect system.

(There's several choices here, I'm starting with 'How do I fit into all this?')

(Say what?)

Lisbeth: It means that every convergence people of your family are invited to join in. You bring a much needed perspective from outside: you are naive. Open and curious. Flexible.

(First in line to be burned in the wicker man?)

Lisbeth: And you're the only one allowed to join a different family and thus balance things in their favor. If that is your wish, of course.

> Where do you fit in?

(... okay... guess not 'she' then. Didn't expect that. But, uh, how do you know that rules you out of things? Also, this implies there are CONSEQUENCES if I'd picked to be non-binary. (I am set female))

Lisbeth: I was told. And to be fair, it feels right.

>asking about grandma

Lisbeth: That's how it's been since the start and that's how it will be forever.

(I'm the last of my line, I can't both leave and stay!)

> I'm confused

Lisbeth: Some things I can't explain. But you'll find out soon enough.

> That sounds menacing

Lisbeth: Some things can only be expressed menacingly.

(Great! Lovely. Guess I'll ask about grandma's leadership thing too.)

(So something went differently?)

Lisbeth: Sadly, no matter how smart and cunning one is, death will come for us all eventually.

(Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki.)

For a moment you think Lisbeth won't answer you.

Lisbeth: I promised to tell you the truth, did I not?

(Great! Our family is weird and also homicidal. Figures.)

Lisbeth: Unfortunately, I can't tell you who. I'm sorry.

As Lisbeth leads you to the exit of the Chapel, you pass the man from earlier. He looks up at you.

(One of these options is blue. Unlocked by our skill choice I guess. Let's go for it.)

Ronaldo: I had to see it with my own eyes.

> You didn't like Eve much?

Ronaldo: Eve. Well, you know Eve.

> Not really. I have amnesia.

(Maybe a mistake to reveal weakness but how can I pass up that line?)

(Is the amnesia standard, then?)

Ronaldo: My name is Ronaldo. I understand you've been fully informed of your lineage already?

> Yes, but I'm not convinced yet.

Ronaldo: I understand. I've been raised in this environment and I still have a hard time dealing with this.

> And you were...?

Lisbeth: Those who Serve. But your family is unlike ours. Your family's purpose, as I told you, is to be a wildcard. You can join a family and lead them to victory. You can also stay on the sidelines and aid whomever you think should be our leader. Or, like Eve, you can grab power by yourself.

> What happens if I do?

(Honestly at this point forgetting this weird stuff might not be a loss. We'd be alone, but we already were. Still, I'm leaning towards picking blue choices, so)

> But I'll forget everything...

Ronaldo: I see you've figured it out, yeah.

Lisbeth cuts in before you can respond to Ronaldo's statement.

> You're keeping things from me - again

Ronaldo: All of this must be really confusing to you.

> I'm taking baby steps

Ronaldo: It must be frustrating relearning all of this every decade or so. Fortunately, you've got Lisbeth to teach you the ropes. If anyone knows how all this works, it's her.

(Oh, so we are okay with 'her', then? Also, she's not exactly giving us the straightforward 101.)

Lisbeth: Thank you for the compliment.

An uncomfortable silence lays itself down between them.

Ronaldo: If you don't mind, I'd like to be alone with my thoughts again.

Lisbeth: Of course. We'll see you at the funeral.

Ronaldo: Thank you.

(So this looks like the end of scene and a choice of directions. Do we want to go get something to eat? Or do we want to go find out where we're staying?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It makes sense that this takes place in the Netherlands since it was apparently made by a Dutch studio.

I wonder if that castle is based on a real one. Nothing immediately springs to mind.

Let's go to the kitchen, you can't face lovecraftian horrors on an empty stomach.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
(by the by, this game is on sale until tomorrow as part of the Steam Halloween event)

As you enter the kitchen, you're met with the whiff of fresh bread, roasted meats, and an undercurrent of caramelised sugar and alcohol.

Between the hustle of members of staff hurrying along their prescribed routes, two young people sit laughing behind a plate of eggs and bacon. They look exactly alike. One of them notices you and nudges the other enthusiastically.

> Victim 11?

Before you can finish your first word, the twins interrupt you, clearly focused on the conversation they're having.

Cora: Tsss, Corvus. That's against the rules.

Lisbeth clears her throat loudly and positions herself between the twins.

Cora: Who gave you permission to speak?

(I suppose I could put in a name but then I'd have to think of one.)

> I see you're also here to make friends

Cora: We're here because we have to be. Let us have our fun.

Corvus: If it makes you feel any better, whatever happens, we're all doomed.

> Right, but who are you?

Cora: As Lisbeth just told you, hidden in a vague insult, the Van Roekeloo twins. You may have heard of our family before.

> ... Who?

Cora: Oh! Never mind, then. We're good people. Sometimes.

Corvus: Hope to stay friends.

Lisbeth: I think we've exchanged enough pleasantries.

Lisbeth guides you with her hand towards the other end of the kitchen, outside of the hearing range of the Twins. She puts a platter before you with various lunch foods. It looks fancy, but there is something mildly off-putting about it. As if the sight and the smell don't quite match up.

You take a bite and your teeth hit something unexpectedly solid. Without making too much fuss, you remove it from your mouth and inspect it.

(Who hasn't hit a bone occasionally?)

> Continue eating

You continue eating in peace, filling your stomach. However, the phantom feeling of the ivory chunk between your teeth lingers, as if your molars have a memory of their own.

You see Lisbeth stare at the Twins from the corner of her eyes. But as soon as she sees you've finished, she switches her attention back to you.

(Guess this was a short one)

Lisbeth leads you up a large flight of stairs and down a row of corridors. It occurs to you the castle is considerable in size, perhaps almost hiding its enormity beneath the veneer of forlorn glory.

Lisbeth stops before your designated room. A surprised frown appears on her face.

A loud call comes from within the room. "Oh, Lisbeth!" you hear in a sing-songy voice.

An older woman waddles out and pulls Lisbeth inside.

You choose to follow. That was a mistake.

(... that's one way to greet new visitors I suppose. also the image is obviously NOT naked but I guess this is just a bit of Code handwaving for not wanting to bump the game rating)

A large chef's knife stands proud as its blade is pierced right through the man's sternum, all the way down to the fabric of the mattress.

> Stay silent

(There was a brief popup of text telling us that we've gained information powerful enough to affect reality, but it vanished before I hit the screencap button)

(hello new person)

Lisbeth: ... No. Not at all, Diana.

Diana: That makes two of us... wait, is that the 11th Child?

(Are we the eleventh generation of the leaving family or something?)

> ... You don't seem terribly bothered about the whole corpse thing, ma'am

Diana: Trust me, you'd murder Patric too if you had remembered him. A sleazebag, a con-man, a serial abuser. And those are just the ways people would compliment him.

(Usually we save the murders for the slumber-parties in the middle!)

Lisbeth: This could potentially become an issue.

> Aren't you concerned about who did this?

Lisbeth: We should be. Someone broke the rules.

(Clearly these people do not freak out about a spot of murder so I'm trying to go for the calmest options.)

> Are rules that important?

Diana: Rules are what separate us from the rest of mankind. So yes, rules are important. But it does make me wonder, who would stand to gain most from this?

(I mean, going by the picture, I'd ask question about who he would allow to tie him to the bed.)

Diana: I mean, is that a chef's knife?

Lisbeth: If you believe it was any of us, I can assure you we have little to gain.

(I assume by 'us' she means Those Who Serve.)

Diana: Oh, Bethy. Don't bother. Your lineage is as obsessed with this as we are. You're always so good at pretending you're not.

> You called me the 11th Child

Lisbeth: We're getting to that soon. Please be patient.

(I think I'm being EXTREMELY patient for someone with A CORPSE in my bed.)

Diana: Oh, Bethy, you're so terrible at this. You're the 11th Child because 12 children of the families were selected and thus 12 Candidates for Convergence.

(As the weird outsider, why am I 11th and not 12th?)

Diana: Of course, there are candidates of quality and then there are those like... you. But I've taken a liking to you. So do try to stay alive.

She gives you a warm, friendly, and utterly affected smile. Her eyes betray no sense of comradery.

> Who are you?

> I was dating someone?

Diana: Of course, you don't remember. You left. All those who leave us forget. Actions have consequences, child.

(Then why did you ask???)

> ... is no one going to take care of him?

(Can you at least get him out of my bed?)

Diana: Yes, Lisbeth, take care of that.

Lisbeth: Diana. It's the Convergence.

Diana's eyes grow as if she just realised she did something foolish.

Diana: Of course. We'll get someone else to clean up.

(How unhelpful. Well, 'Who are you' is still an option so in case that's not a bug I'll try again.)

Diana: I already told you and I'm not interested in repeating myself.

(Well, fine)

> I think I'd like to leave now.)

Diana leaves the two of you with the corpse. Upon hearing the last remark, Lisbeth looks up in surprise.

> So 13 is unusual?

Lisbeth: Regardless of what will happen now, the game has changed. I will inform the staff of this and I'm sure they'll get you a ... cleaner room.

Lisbeth: We should leave before anyone starts drawing inconvenient conclusions. And... some fresh air will be nice too.

She puts your luggage outside the room and leads you back to the courtyard.

(If you leave my luggage there I'm pretty sure any conclusions will still be drawn. Also, I hope I didn't have anything important in my luggage because these people definitely can't be trusted.)

She holds the pack of cigarettes in front of you.

Lisbeth: You?

> That stuff kills

Lisbeth: It might surprise you, but right now that's the least of my concerns.

She puts the package away.

> Why is everyone acting like this?

Lisbeth: Needless to explain, Patric wasn't much... liked. But he was a Candidate. See, for centuries we have elected leaders of our five families. And for centuries there have always been 12 Candidates.

(How do you divide that up, then?)

(That's life, babes.)

Lisbeth: Regardless, he is dead now. Hopefully we can continue the Convergence still.

> Why does this need to happen?

Lisbeth takes another hit from the cigarette before she speaks.

Lisbeth: There are forces... No. You'll see at the funeral. Just a few more hours.

> And I need answers to continue

Lisbeth: That's fair. Until then, please bear with me.

This time, she makes sure the room is clear of anything unexpected before you go in.

> No dead corpses this time?

Lisbeth: I will leave you for now. If there is anything, you can find me in the courtyard. But for now I recommend you get some rest.

(So is this really the same room just with the corpse moved? Surely the castle has other options...)

Lisbeth: I'll come and pick you up in the evening before the funeral.

Without awaiting your reply, she leaves you to your room.

The room is pristine and clean. Only the memory of Patric's corpse lingers.

(.... I don't think I could sleep in a bed where A CORPSE was just tied up kinkily THANK you.)

You dream of falling into a void. You hear voices of people you feel you should know by name. You want to look up into the sky so desperately, but something in you is stopping you. Telling you you're not worthy of witnessing what is right above you.

Suddenly a series of loud thuds wakes you from this dream.

And soon enough Lisbeth appears.

Your eyes are drawn towards the stage. It no longer breathes the calming atmosphere of the farewell of a loved one.

Lisbeth places her hand on your back and gently pushes you, guiding you ever forward. You keep passing sets of seats and guests, their faces unknown, barely lit. Their gazes piercing against your back.

She leads you to the first row of seats - they're just a small distance from the crowd. A few are already occupied. You can just about discern Diana's silhouette.

Lisbeth gestures at one of the chairs and sits herself down on another. With little else to do, you take a seat. You could almost touch the stage if you tried.

You sense the room is slowly being filled up with more and more people. One of them even takes a seat next to you. But all you can do is stare at the body in front of you.

A deep, clear voice booms from the direction of the podium, soon followed by its owner. An older man takes a stand behind the microphones.

(WELL DOESN'T THAT LOOK LOVELY)

His small eyes run over the crowd, seeking and searching for those to latch his steely gaze onto.

(does this choice matter? No idea. But a good point to at least think about how we're feeling about this whole insane setup so far. Are we scared? Intrigued? Defiant? Do we want to get out of here if given the option? My inclination is to Stare back at him but we could also show submission and Look away.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, staring back seems the better option here.

By the way, don't forget to announce your LP in the new LPs thread.

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012
Don't show weakness, stare back.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
(announced! thanks)

> Stare back at him

You try, but soon his gaze forces you to look away.

Priest: Born from the lowliest of our Families, Eve was nothing short of an example to every single one of us. A truest servant of our magnificent Patron.

Priest: Who amongst you remembers how she effortlessly defanged her competition only a decade ago? Who amongst you still feels the scars she has inflicted on severy single one of us? Who amongst you still dreams of the night of her ascension?

Priest: And who amongst you thinks they can replace her majesty?

A soft murmur runs through the crowd.

To your surprise, you see several hands from the crowd in the air. Ronaldo is among them.

(We have the option to raise our hand or not. Well, we've generally been trying not to be intimidated by these people, so...)

> Raise your hand

One by one, voices sound from the crowd, speaking a strange language and carrying a strange tune. You don't understand any of the words chanted, but you still feel them resonating deep inside of you.

For the first time in years, you feel at home.

> Praise Druhtin! I guess?

The crowd repeats their shouts. The flames flicker in the rhythm of their mantra. And when the voices reach crescendo, the High Priest shushes them.

Priest: Listen! Centuries ago, our Families were lost. But then the stars whispered to us. They recognised how we represent the five tenets of Humanity: Tradition, Ambition, Creativity, Submission, and Treachery. They recognised that we were destined to serve the Patron. And in turn, the Patron provides.

"Our Druhtin provides!" chants the crowd.

(Of course, her name wasn't Eve before. Which may also be why our name doesn't matter much. Either we'll be Eve, or we'll be out of here, probably.)

Priest: Her wit and persistence brought pitiful bankers to beg us for mercy. The laws now favour us and our creations are exhibited in every prominent gallery across the globe.

Priest: With her sad passing, one of us will now gain the Patron's eternal power. As tradition prescribes, twelve of you have already been chosen. One of you shall be the Patron's new Favourite and lead us.

Priest: Come, Candidates. Come and present yourself to me and to Eve!

(I guess we now find out how that whole twin mess got resolved?)

Soon enough eleven of you stand before the podium. Aside from Ronaldo, you don't recognise any of the others. They are mixed in age, gender, origin, wealth, and level of excitement.

The High Priest looks over the lot of you. Then his dominating gaze makes way for confusion.

(Ah, he can count.)

(On the one hand, speaking up here might make us seem dominant. On the other hand, it might draw a little too much attention to us, especially on a subject where we don't have any real answers. This time, I think I'm going to)

> Say nothing

The High Priest visibly dry swallows.

Priest: And who will replace him?

Lisbeth: One of the Van Roekeloo Twins, your Excellency.

He turns to them like the devil put fire beneath his shins.

Priest: What are you waiting for! For the Patron to come down and drag you forward?

Priest: Get down here, boy! And you too.

(Are we going to get to choose a twin?)

Priest: Who of you is taking Patric's place?

The Twins exchange looks. Then Corvus steps forward, his shoulders tensed up.

For a brief moment, the old priest speaks no words. Instead his shoulders heave up and down.

Priest: How dare you throw away this opportunity. You should be fighting each other for the honour, not acting in shame.

Priest: Don't you talk about him like that! And he's not here to beg for forgiveness now, is he? So, which one of you is going to take his place?

Cora: We will play no part in this.

The High Priest inhales firmly as if he was about to burst. But instead, his eyes grow in enlightenment, and he throws back his head.

Priest: Very well.

(... uh. poo poo. are we going to decide via russian roulette?)

As he puts the bullets in one by one, he addresses you directly.

(Oh crap)

He paces over to you and procures a coin from his pocket. His hand is noticeably shaking in stress.

> Wait, what?

(So.... This is bad. Do we go for Heads, Tails, or frantically picking any other options that come up in the hopes that we can find some way to avoid this? (I don't know if we can!))

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

We represent treachery right?

Well, let's show them what that means.

Pick another option and try to shoot the priest.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Problem with that is that the priest is holding the gun, not us. He seems to be intending to do the shooting himself. So if there even is an option (which I have no idea), it would require wrestling it off him first.

Not saying no, just pointing out the potential pitfalls.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Here's another aspect of treachery: killing everyone, starting with one of the twins. Head.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Marluxia posted:

Here's another aspect of treachery: killing everyone, starting with one of the twins. Head.

But is it really treachery if they want us to kill all these losers?

Let's refuse to give him the satisfaction by playing dumb.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Choosing will make us complicit, refuse.

Also are we picking a name for the protagonist?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Our thing is asking questions and gathering information, right? Let's keep doing that.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Honestly the twins came off as huge dicks in their first conversation but they're also the most relatable characters to me so far, in that they know this entire thing is poo poo and they want nothing to do with it. Shame the patron doesn't give a poo poo about their opinions or desires! But maybe we do? Yell at the priest.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I don't know if the game will bother asking us a name since everyone seems happy to call us the 11th Child, but if people want to throw out ideas for PC names, go ahead.

If Grandma's name pre-Eve was Mathilde, and the game is generally Dutch, something Dutch/German/French in origin might be suitable. This playthrough is going blue/intelligent, so a name meaning wisdom could do. Or a snake name, for both wisdom and treachery.

I'll throw in Ethelind as a possibility. Babyname sites claim it means a noble or intelligent serpent.

(post coming when I finish formatting it)

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
> Lisbeth, what's happening here?

Priest: Silence. You've had the chance to choose. Now suffer the consequences of your ineptitude.

> I don't want to choose!

(I have a VERY bad feeling that if I pick 'I don't want them to die' he's going to shoot us instead. Can I stall any further?)

> I've got to think about this

Priest: What's there to think about? Heads or tails.

> I won't choose!

He levels the revolver to your heart.

[There's the sound of a gunshot and the screen goes black]

Though… is a sacrifice really noble if you didn't know you were going to be sacrificed?

(Well, I mean, *I* knew, but…)

> Why are you doing this?

That’s a difficult question to answer, right now.

I can return you to the moment before you got shot, or you can reload yourself. Now that you know what’s coming, perhaps you can convince them there is another way.

(I know this game has unlockable/NG+ elements. I assume that if I let the mystical forces place me then I’ll keep the unlocked information, so that’s probably the way to go.)

> Please put me back earlier

Very well. Now return and try not to get yourself killed. I'd rather prefer to see you as little as possible.

You briefly feel weird. As if someone else took up residence in your mind… for you know I did. Anyway.

> Wait! Killing any of us is unnecessary!

> Patric's death already broke tradition

Priest: …

(We now have the option of calling on Lisbeth, Diana, or the Twins to back us up. The twins have already protested and I don't trust Diana, so…)

> Lisbeth?

Priest: Don't look away from me, child!

> I didn't mean any disrespect.

Priest: You are heading down a dangerous path.

> He was murdered on Convergence Eve

Lisbeth: It matters a lot, in fact.

Lisbeth turns to the audience.

Lisbeth: I think we would all safely agree I am the expert on these matters, no?

(That was why I called on you, though I don't know if that matters)

When no one objects, she proceeds.

Lisbeth: We annoint twelve Contestants as twelve is a holy number. Twelve months, twelve hours, twelve seconds before the soul leaves the body.

Lisbeth: We have a tradition that twelve attend Convergence and that one of them shall become the Patron's favourite. But it has never been a rule.

Lisbeth: No rule is broken when the Twins don't participate. No rule is broken either if both Twins participate under the same team.

Lisbeth: I'm just pointing out the possibilities.

The High Priest listens to Lisbeth's words with care. He turns back to Corvus and Cora, still with the revolver in his hand.

Priest: You have made such a travesty of this holiest event. You are now both disowned and forever disqualified from receiving the Grace of the Patron.

("Great, thanks, bye!")

A loud murmur erupts from the crowd. When you look around, you see faces struck by horror and confusion. And on the High Priest's face there is no trace of a smile.

Priest: Once Convergence has been completed, you will be cut off from our family. Now get out of my sight, you don't even deserve to be in the Favourite's presence!

The two walk away. But when Cora passes you, she whispers: "Thank you. We'll repay our debts."

Priest: Now!

While the two scuttle away, you turn back and notice Lisbeth standing next to you.

> (whisper) Thank you

Lisbeth takes a long time to reply. Then, in a soft whisper, she says:

(Well, that's interesting. So we are introducing a bit of treachery!)

> What do you mean?

Lisbeth: This has never happened before. All certainty is gone. Anything could happen now. I just hope no one else will notice.

(Don’t worry, I’m sure the horrible otherworldly entity we worship will not notice someone messing about)

The High Priest turns back to the crowd.

A loud ‘Druhtin’ from the public follows.

Priest: Oh Patreon, forgive us our inactions. Forgive us our temperance. Forgive us our compassion.

“Patron forgive us!” shouts the crowd.

Priest; Oh Patron, while we are weak, pathetic, and scared before you stand the strongest of us, the bravest, the most vicious. And through their cleverness, their ruthlessness, and their charisma one of them shall prove worthy of your respect.

Priest; People, only one thing rests to do before Convergence.

He points at Eve’s corpse, cocks the safety, and soon a gunshot echoes through the Chapel.

(Make good and sure she’s dead I guess?)

A lurid liquid bespeckled with dark red flakes flows softly from the wound and stains Eve’s clothes.

(We’re not going to have to drink that, are we?)

The crowd starts counting: 1, 2, 3… 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10…

When it reaches eleven, you feel like your body is engulfed in ice cold water. And then something warm spreads across your spine and ribs, as if grabbing hold of you. You gasp.

When the High Priest notices your reaction, he smiles.

—-

This ends Day 1, so it seemed like a decent post breakpoint.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:v: Well all right, first day and we already managed to show everyone some sane and merciful decision making!
:confused: But we had to die for that to become possible.
:v: *pulls out gun* No we didn't.
:confused: I retract my previous statement.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Our gimmick is that we forget everything the second we leave. Our identity is constantly washed away, and we are left with only Nemo.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

You know, if both our grandmother and father are dead and we have no siblings and all our extended paternal family belong to the other 4 families, wouldn't killing us render the Treachery line extinct? How would that not cause more problems in this eldritch cult of tradition? Would it just pass to an even more distant branch of the family that has no idea any of this is going on?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Are you doubting The Patron?!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I wonder if that's a justification for why we keep getting the chance to try again with the game, though. Like the Patron keeps saving us because it'd be a bummer if one branch got entirely wiped out.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Entirely possible the Patron has absolutely no actual use for the group of inbred mortals who worships it and it just wants to watch their pathetic scheming in response to the protagonist's continued existence.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you want a name that is common enough among the Dutch and means wisdom, you're looking for Sofie with an f.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FoolyCharged posted:

Our gimmick is that we forget everything the second we leave. Our identity is constantly washed away, and we are left with only Nemo.

Wouldn't that be Dory instead?

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Your dreams are occupied with visages of what transpired the day before. An uneasy motif of gun and blade guide your dreams. The calls of 'Druhtin' fill the dark landscapes of your mind.

Here you are now. Trapped in a game of which you knew nothing. Playing with people out for your life. You might as well make the best of it.

You hear a series of knocks coming your way. It takes you only a moment to realise the staff is going door to door, waking everyone up.

When they get to your room, you…

> Receive the staff politely

Without exchanging a word, they gesture for you to follow them.

You're joined by a small group of other tired and groggy faces. Only Ronaldo is familiar to you.

As you pass them, you notice Lisbeth, Diana, and two unfamiliar men waiting patiently for the hall to fill up.

A woman joins you and Ronaldo. She sighs dramatically and folds her arms before she laments.

Isabel: I say we disqualify all of them for wasting our time.

> What's happening?

Isabel: What do you mean, what's happening?

(What I mean is that Lisbeth never gave me the rundown she kept promising so I still have no idea how this works!)

Isabel: Oh!

Her sudden epiphany makes her look at you with dramatic sympathy.

Isabel: I forgot you don't remember.

> How does one do that?

Isabel: Ultimately, you need to convince everyone you're the greatest amongst us. In practice, you'll have to convince the Family heads to support your claim.

(If we're the last Traitor standing, are we that family's head?)

> I'm patient

Isabel: Good for you. However, I have so many more important things to do!

(… I find it hard to believe one of THESE families seriously cares about starving children in Africa.)

Isabel: Speaking of poor and helpless children… where is Paye?

Ronaldo: I'm her half-brother, not her secretary.

Isabel: Well, I would just assume you'd be the one making sure she's not already breaking anything… or anyone.

A woman jumps from the crowd at Isabel. She grabs Isabel's shoulders firmly, and a loud scream echoes from her mouth.

(Blood-spattered psychotic artist, anyone?)

Isabel: Get your filthy hands off me!

P. lets go of Isabel.

> Smile back

For the next moment or two, the two of you exchange smiles. Then she lifts two fingers to her eyes, points them at yours, and back to hers again.

> Right…

Your attention is soon grasped by a new duo entering the scene. When they enter, you see Diana raise her head, peering with intent at them.

Rayan: And as we've seen yesterday, they're black swan events personified.

The man approaches you and holds out his hand.

Rayan: I'm Rayan, this is Theodora.

(We can decline the handshake for reasons of distrust or 'enemy' status, but I don't think that's our vibe.)

> Shake his hand

You receive a meek handshake.

Rayan: Of course.

But before anything else can transpire, you're all interrupted.

Diana: Where is Cees?

Rayan: He's not with you?

Diana's piercing gaze causes a slight cringe in Rayan. Before Diana can chew him out, a young man appears. He holds a mobile phone up in the air and stares at it as if he's giving a small performance.

Cees: Oooh, looks like the other losers are already waiting for us.

(Dude, are you live-streaming your evil family rituals?)

Cees: Judging by their sense of fashion, they're just as old as this whole stupid castle.

> Do nothing

Diana rushes over to him and sweeps the phone right out of his hands. After a few well-placed interactions, she returns the phone to him.

Cees: But-!

She grabs him by the back of his neck. Like a meek little sheep, he allows her to push him towards your group.

As the three arrive at the larger group, she pauses for a moment, looking at the lot of you with uncertain intent.

Isabel: You take care of this, Ronaldo. I already had to deal with Eve's grandchild.

> Well, you're awful too.

Isabel: Ah, see, even this little good deed of mine goes underappreciated.

Before more squabbling can continue, another woman walks gently into the scene. She bows at Lisbeth and the others.

Only Lisbeth acknowledges her.

As if expecting something horrible to happen, she rushes past the group of New Bloods and joins you. Or at least, so you thought until she walks right past you, towards someone you hadn't noticed at all until now.

The two share a firm and friendly embrace.

("Oh, I'm sooo, sooo sooooorry." I don't know if this comment was meant to be sarcastic but with that image, it felt it.)

Isabel throws a clear look of pity in their direction.

Isabel: If only someone could save them.

> You could not kill them

Isabel: I wish I could. But they're always in the way.

> Wait, why?

Ronaldo: It's tradition. And tradition is sacred.

(Yeah, but… not so sacred this time around?)

Ronaldo: Or at least it was until your stunt yesterday, so who knows what'll happen now.

Isabel: Well, I'll be sure to organise a memorial service for them. And in case you're wondering, you're not invited, Paye.

Kadmos: When I see you, I see the pride of our blood. I expect great things from you this Convergence.

Artemis: And I'll be sure to fulfill all of those expectations.

Artemis places her hand on her chest before nodding at you.

> Pleased to meet you

Artemis: Just so you know, I’m going to win.

Theodora scoffs.

Diana: Admit it, you were thinking the same thing.

(counting on my fingers. I think that’s 9 candidates other than us so there should be one more?)

As Lisbeth is about to reply to her, a disheveled man appears in the doorway. But you care little about his appearance as your eyes are drawn towards the rifle in his hands.

Woden: I came prepared.

Without saying another word he edges towards you and the others.

The other Candidates make room for Woden, though they keep a healthy distance away from him.

(Okay, now we’ve met all ten Candidates who are vying for leadership of this crazy situation. Initial impressions? Who’s definitely a threat, and who’s definitely not? Is there anyone that we might consider backing? Anyone we would never willingly ally with? Which family does everyone belong to?)

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
The art is weird for a game billing itself as lovecraftian, it's almost too clean. But that might be my own preconceptions.

Same conceptions makes me think of the characters as expies from other lovecraftian stories instead of the characters they are for this story alone.

With this in mind, I would side with the high priest whenever possible because he's got the greatest tiara in history.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I think the most tolerable people of the Candidates first impressions-wise are Ava, Ronaldo, and P. (yeah yeah, I'm grading on a curve here) Everybody else is either a snooty prick or overtly ready to be deadly to anybody who won't just get out of their way without question.

e: to be clear, those three in that order are my votes for people to work with/befriend/etc.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 6, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I definitely get the feeling that this competition of charisma and murder leans heavily towards the latter.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I think Woden is who we need to stick with. He’s armed, he’s at least claiming to only be hostile to those that are hostile to him, and I’d guess he’s probably already got plans for how to deal with everyone else if need be. By siding with him we can join up with someone who will likely be strong enough to protect us. We’re the wild cards here too, so if he is prepped for everyone else I’m sure he’d rather have us at his side than against him.

I’m guessing the more initially likable candidates like Ronaldo and the servants are either going to backstab us or will just be dead weight

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is burning the mansion down an option?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Woden would probably shoot us without hesitation regardless of our help if we had another situation like the twins come up and the elder told him that tradition demands either we die or he does. I don't think he'd be here if he was the type who'd shoot the elder or refuse completely if that kind of choice landed in his lap.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Pretty sure all these people are threats in their own way and we don't really want any of them to win, so let's try to balance in the middle and stay alive as long as possible.

And try to get the Servants on our side.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

If we're backing a faction in general, I'd go Servants, not because I'm naive enough to expect them to be less bugfuck crazy than anyone else, but because they seem to get dumped on by everyone else both outside the Convergence when, well, and during when their candidates are always killed off first, presumably because nobody wants a Servant in charge of the family. I certainly don't want to end up in charge of this loving trainwreck, so I think it'd be most amusing to get the designated hired help by birth faction power and control.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Kadmos waits for everyone to calm down again before speaking.

Kadmos: For those who don’t know, don’t remember, or don’t care to remember, I am Kadmos van Roekeloo, head of the oldest of the Families. Next to me, the lovely lady Diana Pactheer-Tan, head of the newest of our Families.

(Older and newer families? Do families get wiped out and replaced?)

Kadmos: Followed by the incomparable, indomitable Floris de Mooiste. Responsible for the Artists among us.

Kadmos: And finally, the one who keeps us on the path to greatness, who maintains our traditions and assures our outgoing glory: Lisbeth Staal leads our Servants. Lisbeth, please?

Lisbeth: It is about who is best fit to lead us and to receive the Patron’s blessing, whether you prove this through your charm, your wits, or your might.

Lisbeth: That all being what it is, there is only one rule: the murder of non-Candidates is out of the question. We will not have a repetition of 1765. If we suspect you of attempting grievous harm to those not Selected, we will end you.

(This may mean that if we can figure out who offed Patric and it was one of the Candidates, we can disqualify them.)

As her words reach the furthest corners of the room, no one dares to say anything in dissent.

A resounding ‘yes’ follows.

Kadmos: You have four days to prove yourselves superior. Praise the Patron and good luck.

(the screen fades to black, and then to…)

(Oh hey, a map! Looks like we can pick where we’re going. The graveyard might have information on our father, if he died during a previous Convergence. The Throne Room sounds like a possible place to catch up with some of the snootier Candidates (or maybe the kid with his camera). The Kitchen sounds like we might be able to find the Servants. But these are just my guesses.)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Graveyard to possibly learn more about our father and the history of this perfectly normal family tradition.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

gegi posted:

Lisbeth: That all being what it is, there is only one rule: the murder of non-Candidates is out of the question. We will not have a repetition of 1765. If we suspect you of attempting grievous harm to those not Selected, we will end you.
[/b]
(This may mean that if we can figure out who offed Patric and it was one of the Candidates, we can disqualify them.)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding things, but wasn't Patric one of the candidates? I was guessing at that because the idea was that one of the twins was going to take his place. So wouldn't his murder be A-ok by the rules? Or was he one of the proctors instead?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding things, but wasn't Patric one of the candidates? I was guessing at that because the idea was that one of the twins was going to take his place. So wouldn't his murder be A-ok by the rules? Or was he one of the proctors instead?

He was murdered before he could enter the competition as a candidate. Nobody cares that he died. They care that he died early.

Which leads me to my thought that I don't expect we'll find out much about candidates that failed in the graveyard.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 7, 2023

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I vote kitchen

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

For a servant Lisbeth is surely not serving up much in the way of explanations. :colbert:

Let's check out the throne room; it'll be ours eventually, may as well check out the digs.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I want to check out the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
So I was going to rule executively that we just go to the graveyard since the votes were unclear, but when I went to click on it I discovered that there was actually slightly more information present. (Sorry, like I said, this is blind to me, I don't know!)

In case it helps, here's the details:

Graveyard:

Throne Room:

Kitchen:

Unless there's a big change in responses I'll still go to the graveyard later tonight but now that I know there was more context to the choices I felt I had to share that.