Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh, hell yes. Grave robbing action just solidifies my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh, hell yes. Grave robbing action just solidifies my vote.

this tbh

Also, we're going to be dying a lot, presumably. May as well check out where we're going afterward.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

The muddy pathway is littered with the remainders of statues. Some shine in pristine modern marble, while others are made of mossy stone as old as time.

The closer you get to P, the louder the digging gets.

(Yeah, she did seem like the obvious candidate for grave-digging)

Before you is revealed a large makeshift hole. Around it lie a variety of tools and ropes. Most of the gear is covered in a thick layer of mud.

A large shovel is thrown your way. A moment later, P sticks her head outside the hole.

She grabs hold of something in the muddy walls of the hole and starts pulling.

> What are you doing?

P: Just help me. You'll see. You'll see.

> [Help P]

The both of you start pulling the handle. It takes a few tries, but soon enough the tip of a casket appears from the mud.

> We're graverobbing?

(As long as we put it back it's fine right?)

> Wait, how does that work?

P: We open up a grave, get the things I need, close the grave. And maybe at some point return them.

(Uh… Are you PLANNING to kill everyone including yourself?)

She grabs a crowbar from the stack of tools and sticks it between the lid and the coffin. It takes only a few tries before she cracks open the case.

> Look closer

(If we weren't stupidly curious we wouldn't be here.)

Inside you see the bones of an ancient human being, pressed against the leathered sheet that was once his skin.

P grabs a large boxcutter from her tools and starts cutting the skin all around the elbow. Once done she pulls the arm firmly and finally dislodges it from the corpse.

(Are we doing the Hand of Glory? Whose hand is this?)

Soon enough she stands there with a 300-year-old arm in her hands.

> Right, and why?

(CAN NO ONE HERE ANSWER A SIMPLE QUESTION)

P: Okay, you can go now.

She shoos you away.

> I'd like some explanation?

P: Whatever happened to 'show, don't tell'?

P: I'll be busy here for a while yet. Nothing to see. Come back later.

> Wait

P pushes you out of the way.

(… so the scene is forcibly ended even if I try to be stubborn. Alas. Well, back to the map screen! New options:)

(Should we visit Floris in the Workshop, meet a Servant in the Garden, or hang out with the new bloods in the Board Room?)

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Fascinating setup. I feel for the servants, and I like Rolando for not being awful to us. As others have said, probably wise to not trust them as far as we can throw them, but absolutely let's arrange for a Servant to be the new leader, if we possibly can. The Servants seem to have gotten the horrible end of the "still living" stick. Might as well upend that for one cycle.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah, let's check out the Garden.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So we didn’t get much out of that other than ensuring P got her hands on a cadaver’s forearm, huh?

Garden

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Garden visit with a servant sounds like it'll come in useful.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Just out of sight you can see a broken dome; the origin of the most peculiar residents and as your eyes lock with one of the many colourful birds, the sound of someone humming slices through the moment. You're not alone. You whirl around to come face to face with the source.

> This belongs to you?

Ava: Does anything really belong to us in this Castle? We are free to move around, yes. But like these birds, we too are trapped.

(I don't know how we feel really but 'yes' seems more like a thing the servants owuld understand)

> Yes

Ava: My name is Ava. I belong to the Servants, but more importantly, I belong to my husband. He comes from money, power, and influence.

> One can't exist without the other

Ava: Oh… Well, I admit you've caught me off guard with that answer. They are interconnected, but can we really achieve all three without giving up our soul in return?

> Soul

(I think our earlier actions - and our being here at all - suggest that keeping our life safe isn't our highest priority.)

Ava: A fool's error. Your soul will drat you.

> What do you desire?

Ava: For things to stay as they are. For me to continue on without looking behind my shoulder.

Ava: But I will not disappear into the ether.

(And that’s all we get. Not even clarification on who her husband is! These scenes are kinda short.)

(Visit Isabel (ugh) in the Chapel, Cees in the Great Hall, or go check out the package in front of the castle?)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Speaking of a lack of basic self preservation....

Let's go check out that suspicious package! Who ever heard of booby trapped mail?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I don't particularly like either one of those two, let's go check out that package.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I want to check out the package.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Everyone is talking in vagueness, now a package may actually tell us something.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
(Again, if we weren't too curious for our own good, why would we even be here?)

(Looks like it's getting towards evening, so the day's events may be over soon)

The Courtyard looks empty. Or rather, it looks cleaner than your last visit. Gone are the piles of crates and the sea of work vans. A great deal of care has gone into this, yet it has done little to lift the aura of darkness that looms over the castle grounds.

As you travel towards the center, you spot a familiar figure hunched over, back towards you.

> Let's get sneaky

Your steps are as silent as death itself. Your target, Doortje, is too engrossed in whatever it is that is buried in the hole in front of her.

Inching closer to Doortje reveals the object that has caught her attention: a trap. Rigged to explode with just a bit of pressure…

(We have the option to attempt to kill Doortje right now. However, this does not seem in keeping with the way we've been playing, so I'm ignoring that.)

> Call out her name

Your voice startles Doortje who almost slips and falls to her doom. An annoyed grunt escapes her lips as she uses her weight and her palms to steady herself.

(No, I'm trying NOT to!)

> I was trying to get your attention

(Man, no good deed goes unpunished here)

> I - What?

(Maybe our confusion makes her think we don't know there was a bomb)

Doortje: I, uh - I found this thingamabob while cleaning the yard.

The reason behind Doortje's careful demeanor is unveiled. The object, though crude in design, has a very clear objective. You see the strands of wires wrapped around a cylinder; the liquid inside is eerily still. As if one small shake would disturb it from its slumber to wreak havoc.

(I guess this is reconnecting with what would have happened if we hadn't been sneaky and didn't know about the bomb. Pity, I would like to be able to tell her we CHOSE not to kill her)

Doortje: This definitely looks like a trap. Do you think it might explode?

(Of course, for all we know it's a dud and trying to kill her that way would just have pissed her off.)

> How did you find it?

Doortje: Hidden right there with the leaves. So that… someone could step on it.

Doortje visibly balks at the deduction she's made.

(If she was specifically sent to clean this place, this was a trap meant to kill her, all right.)

Doortje: Urgh. So, what do we do about it?

> Take a look

Upon closer inspection, you see that the area around the trap has been dug to make room for it. The spot itself was chosen intentionally.

> Is this area important?

Doortje: Not really. It's just your everyday fancy courtyard.

There is genuine fear in Doortje's eyes, probably the most genuine emotion you've seen since your arrival at this place.

> We should disarm this

(No, I was planning to back off to a safe distance and throw rocks. I'm not an expert!)

Doortje: Er. That was a joke. Would be great if you were, though, heh!

(OH COME ON what was wrong with my 'throw rocks at it' plan? Well, screw it, we've died once already, I'm going to pull a wire and see what happens.)

> Let’s try this wire…

You reach in, feeling for the wires and the connections they make. All it takes is a tug on one wire - the correct wire - for success to be within your grasp.

The trap comes undone, buckling under its own weight without the wires holding it in place. The cylinder breaks, the liquid seeping into the ground, returning to whence it came.

(Huh. I guess we’re good at this? Or it was a dud.)

You hear Doortje behind you breathing a sigh of relief.

Doortje: Whoa.

Her relief is mixed with notes of joy. She makes a move to examine the remains of the trap but there is nothing more here.

A victory has been secured for you. The repercussions of this event? They remain to be seen.

(Only one option this time so I guess we have to…)

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

(Dude, I feel 'forboding' everywhere I go in this place.)

The surroundings smell of hay and animals. Somehow, the scent triggers a memory… but just as you're about to grasp hold of it, you're interrupted by a voice.

> Focus on the memory

(As long as Artemis doesn't kill me out of hand, she can wait. This may be our only chance to know… something)

You close your eyes and take in a few deep breaths of the hay-filled surroundings. As the thick air fills your lungs, you feel a flash of heat.

Before you stands your grandmother. She is stroking the old cold-blood horse with care.

(Huh. I am a casual fan of equestian stuff but I had not heard the term cold-blooded for horses. Apparently this refers to large draft animals like Percherons and Clydesdales. Not actually cold-blooded, obviously, but apparently more even-tempered and calm. Not the sort of horse that shows up in the sort of events I watch.)

A smile appears on her face as she notices you.

(What exactly did we do? … We didn't kill our own father did we?)

> Yes. But I don't want to.

Her friendly demeanor freezes.

"The Patron knows best."

> Mom said there are other options.
(This and the following two don't have other options to pick)

Her face contorts and bitterness fills her eyes.

"She's at it again, isn't she?"

Her strokes become harsher. The horse pulls away from her hand.

"Your mother doesn't have the guts. Never has. Never will. Listen, in this world there is only power. Either it is yours or it is someone else's. And anyone believing the contrary never had to fight for survival."

> But I don't want to die…

"And neither did I. But child, look at me now. Struggle brings salvation. Above all the Druhtin knows best."

> The Druhtin knows best

> Run towards the scream

(Oops. Well, so much for saving the Servants. Possibly it was always too late.)

A large wood-splitting axe sticks out of her back. It doesn't take you long to conclude what killed her.

Next to the body stand Artemis and Woden.

Artemis: What the hell did you do, Woden!

Woden: She was about to murder you…

Artemis: We were just having a disagreement and you killed her!

The rage on Woden's face disappears and he looks at the body.

Woden: She was saying she was going to kill you…

He only now takes notice of you, but he says nothing.

> What is this?!

Artemis: … oh, Ava.

> Were you two…?

Artemis: …

Artemis: She was my everything.

(Well. This… sheds a different light on a few people. If a bit late.)

Artemis: I've never been able to get her to understand how much she meant to me. And I suppose… now I never will.

> What happened?

Woden: I…

(Pushing at his motives, since he CLAIMED earlier that he was only fighting for survival. Did he really think Ava was a danger?)

> Ava, of all people?

Woden: I had good reasons to be suspicious!

Artemis: Shut up… Just… just shut up.

Woden's gaze darts around the stables, in search of anything.

You notice the snub-nosed revolver before he does.

(Well, it does sound like Woden's problem was more jumpiness than killing-spree. Maybe.)

> Show the others

You walk over and kick the revolver when the others are looking.

> So are you

> [Say nothing]

Artemis: She’d… No, she’d never! Oh, Ava…

Woden: We should leave before there are more witnesses.

(Wouldn’t revealing the truth publicly now be safer? … Especially for anyone who isn’t Woden.)

For a brief moment he scans you from top to bottom.

Woden: You’re not going to be a problem, are you?

Meanwhile, Artemis begins to get up. She pauses for a brief moment as she notices how much blood is on her.

Woden: But -

Artemis: Don’t. Don’t say a word to me. You killed her, Woden. Live with it.

Artemis briefly leaves the two of you. Soon after, she comes back accompanied by a small number of staff.

(You didn’t think she was going to get her own hands in the dirt, did you?)

Every single one of them is silent the moment they lay their eyes upon the body.

Artemis: Come on. We don’t have all evening.

The staff exchange looks with one another. It is clear to you they are gutted by what has transpired. Logical; Ava was one of their own.

Artemis and Woden don’t say a word save for instructing the staff. Very quickly you start feeling like a third wheel. There is nothing left for you to do here.

(event fades out)

What will come of those you’ve met? What will transpire tomorrow? What will happen to you?

But you are certain of one thing: You mattered. Your actions mattered.

It is tomorrow that will tell you how.

(So, here’s a question! Do we want to stick with our runthrough of the day so far, or do we want to loop back and attempt to change fate?

See how our current actions will play out?

Try to save Ava?

Try to kill Doortje?

Something else?
)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This game is going to take a conspiracy corkboard to unravel isn't it?

I'm for moving forward, the more information we find on this run the more complete the next one will be.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

By popular demand posted:

This game is going to take a conspiracy corkboard to unravel isn't it?

I'm for moving forward, the more information we find on this run the more complete the next one will be.
Yeah, if the idea is to keep looping, we have to know the impact our choices have before going back. I'm a bit sad we missed talking to the twins this go of it, since they owe us they presumably were going to give us something to help, but we can catch that next time.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Since this is an indie game which did not sell well (and is also known for lacking a fast-skip-read-text option which can make replay tiresome), I will not be 100%ing this in this thread. There might be more than one run, depending on what ending we actually get (a real ending; our early death doesn't count) and how irritating I actually find the replay process. But it's not a guarantee, and we definitely won't see everything.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Listen here sonny jim, YOU ARE HERE BY OUR PLEASURWE AND WE CAN DESTROY YOU WHENEVER WE WISh!!!!!1111
So on wioth the silly monkey dance!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

gegi posted:

Since this is an indie game which did not sell well (and is also known for lacking a fast-skip-read-text option which can make replay tiresome), I will not be 100%ing this in this thread. There might be more than one run, depending on what ending we actually get (a real ending; our early death doesn't count) and how irritating I actually find the replay process. But it's not a guarantee, and we definitely won't see everything.
oh, in that case, go back just to see what help the Twins would have given us.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
What I'm going to try for, if the game will let me, is finding out what the twins have to say (since we didn't really accomplish anything with P), then keeping things the same with Ava and Doortje, then trying to respond faster in the stables to see if we can save Ava's life.

> I have to go back… back into time…

And at this point the WHOLE day restarts from the beginning, all the way back to 'Your dreams are occupied with visages of what transpired the day before.' Ugh. Well, luckily, I have a record right here to compare to!

The staff come around to wake us up and

New option but I'm not bothering with that. Stick to the plan. Stick to the plan.

No other new choices pop up during the meeting with all the candidates, and I keep my reactions as they were before.

Finally, we come to the option to meet with the twins.

You spot the Twins. Even though they're sitting at the same table, they seem miles away from everyone else. Perhaps even far enough to be in their own world.

Your eyes meet both of theirs. Cora beckons you to come over with a tilt of her head.

> Shrug

(We know NOTHING about Patric at this point really.)

(Of these three the one we know the least about so far is)

> What about Rayan?

Cora: Crafty, conniving, underhanded… A true man of the Bank. He knows how to get his hands dirty without leaving a trail.

Corvus: It's no wonder the New Bloods decided to scoop him up.

Cora: Their new plaything.

> What else do you know about him?

Corvus: Why?

> Curiosity, I guess

Cora: Curiosity gets you killed.

(Yes, but so does the lack of it, in a place like this.)

Corvus: BUT. You've entertained our thoughts. It's only fair we reward you.

(Interesting. He didn't seem very impressive when we met but looks can be deceiving.)

Corvus: He will slink in the shadows, pull all the strings he can.

Cora: Urgh. Bankers.

Silence falls. You are left staring at the food in front of you. The others around you deep in their own conversations.

The Twins won't give you much else now. That much you know. It seems you've bled all you can from them.

(That wasn't much… but I guess it was something?)

> I should be going.

Cora: We’ll see you around. Hopefully.

(And now we return to the map screen with choices to… what’s this?)

(A little addition on Ava there. True, we know she may have a gun. That scene in the stables might play out badly in multiple ways depending on our meddling…)

Restarting the garden event….

(At this point I have no intention of telling anyone in the castle that we’ve started time-looping. Stick to the plan.)

(Someone set us up the bomb)

Anyway this worked out fine last time so sticking with our choices.

Oddly at one point ‘You’ve regained knowledge to safely affect reality’ flashed by over top. Safely? Are some choices unsafe, then?

Anyway, it proceeds without incident.

On to the stable event.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

> Focus on the voice

You move towards the direction of the sound. Soon another one follows. You can clearly make out the voices of Artemis, from the Old Bloods, and Ava, from the Servants. It is heated; you don't need to sneak in order to take notice of their conversation.

Ava: Every five years I see you. And every five years you give me the same story. And every five years I tell you what I need. And every five years…

Artemis: Things will be different now. I promise.

(How old are these people exactly?)

Ava: No, Artemis. I gave you a chance. I gave you the freedom to choose. But instead you preferred to listen to your uncle.

Artemis is about to retort, but pauses instead.

(We have the option now to come forward or stay hidden. Things haven't yet gotten heated enough for Woden to do a murder by mistake. Maybe if we break in now, it won't happen?)

> Come forward

Both women relax their posture.

> I was just having a walk

Artemis: Ah. Do be careful. Yow never know who, or what, is hiding in this building.

Ava: If everyone would just calm down…

(Again trying to sway the course of events, being a little challenging with her here seems less likely to make the past recur?)

> You first.

But before you can say anything, Ava takes the lead.

(… uh-oh.)

Ava: Oh, we know our place.

Artemis: Ava, I didn't mean it like that.

Ava: You always communicate the clearest between the lines.

Artemis turns to you.

Artemis: Could you please leave us?

Ava: No. Stay. I feel more comfortable having another person here.

(No, you're not, but…)

Ava: And again you're dismissing my feelings. Why… why did you even want me?

(Minimal intervention principle)

> Say nothing

Artemis: Ava, please. I can protect you. I will protect you.

Artemis tries to approach her, but Ava backs away.

Ava: Don't touch me. Don't get near me.

You notice a glint of metal. It doesn't take you long to conclude Ava is holding a weapon of some sort.

(Everyone please stay calm…)

Artemis: I see.

Ava: Don't talk to me. Don't contact me. Forget about me.

Artemis: Please, Ava…

As she speaks, her eyes focus on something behind Ava and grow in panic. Within the shadows, you notice Woden. He's brandishing a splitting axe.

> Woden, don't!

He looks up in surprise, as if woken up from a trance.

In her surprise, Ava drops whatever she was holding.

(crap, no 'pretend you didn't see that' option? Um…)

> Pick it up

You attempt to get to it, but you're too far away to make it in time. Ava picks up the gun instead.

Ava: It was just for self-protection, I swear!

(And we get time-manipulation powers so, you know, fair.)

Ava: I had to find a way to su—

Artemis: — were you planning to kill me?

Ava: Of course not! I swear, it was just for self-protection. Nothing more.

Woden throws the axe back over his shoulder.

Ava: …

Ava: You first.

> Ava…

She takes several moments to assess the situation.

Ava: Very well.

Woden follows. With both putting away their arms, a silence falls between them.

Ava: This is it.

Artemis nods.

Artemis: I'll be waiting for you still.

Ava's attention remains on Artemis for a brief second. She then turns away from them and leaves the stables at a confident pace.

Artemis: How about for once you don't try to play the saviour.

He slings the axe across his shoulders.

> You were the one about to kill her?

Artemis: Ha! Right you are. Just stay out of it, Woden. You're only making things worse.

Woden: … I won't make a mistake like this again.

Having nothing left to do other than listen to the quibbles of two Old Bloods, you decide to leave the stables. Back to the Guest Wing.

(We are returned to our bedroom and once again given the option to meddle. However, I think this day is currently as 'right' as we can make it.)

> I will accept my current Fate

Your bravery is commendable, if perhaps a little foolish. But so it is done.

(fade into the next day)

A happy, bright new day awaits. Though neither of those qualifiers would ever fit the weather outside your window.

You hear the familiar rattling of someone knocking at your door and a member of staff appears in your doorway.

(Uh. Hi?)

> Who are you?

Chris: Oh! I'm of little consequence, I assure you!

(Well if that isn't just the falsest penny you've ever seen)

> I miss Lisbeth already…

Chris: I won't hold it against you!

(I guess we may as well ask about our stupid name)

> Who's Poortwachter?

Chris: … your surname?

> Let me get myself ready

Chris: Of course, after you’re done refreshing yourself, please follow me!

The Servant leads you down to the Great Hall. You’re clearly one of the last to arrive.

A large table stands in the middle of the hall with a variety of breakfast foods available for your choosing. But something about it… just seems off.

A little to the side, you see the other Contestants seated at various tables across the Great Hall, though some have opted to stand a little further away while pecking at their plates. All the tension of the day before seems entirely absent. For now.

(Is everyone here, or did we miss a murder?)

The Old Bloods, Artemis and Woden, are observing you with certain reservation. Artemis occasionally throws a restless look at Ava, but it is not returned.

Rayan regards you briefly, but returns to his conversation with Theodora.

Doortje sits in the corner, observing the other Contestants. Ava, meanwhile, is having a conversation with the staff. When she sees you, she flashes a smile.

Isabel looks on with profound disgust at how P consumes the contents of her plate with a vigor few would ever devote to their food.

(I don’t know if we’re allowed to socialise with everyone or only one choice. Also, no mention so far of Ronaldo or Cees. Are they here? Are they dead? What should we do?)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It wouldn't surprise me if they're dead. The default for the stable with us passively observing was a killing. My guess is that anywhere we can stop a killing, but don't go to, has that killing go off as if we were there and failed to stop it.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

New Bloods. Let’s scope out this Rayan guy a bit more

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Insertnamehere31 posted:

New Bloods. Let’s scope out this Rayan guy a bit more
Agreed with this. We can't get all the information about all the characters without replaying waaaaay too much, but hyperfocusing is only going to hurt us.

Also lmao at Ava and Artemis' whole thing. Can't say I blame Ava for being sick of Artemis being all impassioned devotion except for what would make her family too uncomfortable.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

gegi posted:

> Who's Poortwachter?

I really wish you would stop this kind of gatekeeping.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wonder if we had time powers last time too.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

> How are you all doing?

Rayan: Can we help you?

> About yesterday…

Rayan: Did we talk? I can't recall. Oh, wait, briefly at the introduction. Of course.

Rayan: What about yesterday?

> How did yesterday go?

Rayan: According to expectations.

Both Rayan and Theodora seem to ignore Cees' reaction.

(Well, he's fine, anyway. I'm not inclined to tell the New Bloods that I want to join them, so I guess we can't get anything else here.)

> I've got somewhere else to be.

You turn back to the others.

(Looks like we do get to run down the list, then.)

> Go towards the Artists

P had just shoved a whole plate of cornflakes down her throat when she sees you. Her eyes light up.

More crunching ensues.

Isabel: Well, your manners are… something left to be desired.

Isabel: Roos, that's enough flakes.

(A gothlet who probably WOULD take after P?)

Isabel: We wouldn't want you to become fat, now, dear.

> What the hell?

Isabel: Are you criticising my parental skills?

(And everything else about you, lady.)

Isabel: I will tell you I've won awards for how much of a good parent I am to Roos.

P grins at Roos.

> They're just flakes, Isabel.

Isabel: It starts with flakes and ends in cocaine. I will not have my perfect daughter be ruined by the likes of you.

P: That's not how I remember it. If you're going to gaslight Eve's grandchild, get smarter about it.

Isabel: I know what I saw.

Isabel glares at P with the power of a thousand suns. P responds by shoving more flakes into her mouth.

There's not much space to continue a conversation.

(Still no sign of Ronaldo, but no comments about anything awful happening to him either. I'm going to assume he's all right for now.)

> Approach the Servants

As you approach them, Ava beams a warm smile at you. Doortje, however, eyes you with suspicion.

(Hello, game? We disarmed a bomb with her!)

Ava: I hope you had a pleasant night?

> As pleasant as it could be

Ava: All things considered I'm glad to hear that. Please, join us.

Doortje: You stopped Woden, right? I still don't really understand what's happening, but thanks?

Ava: Well, regardless, please join us.

She frees up a space for you and lays down cutlery and napkins like a professional. She only takes a seat after you do.

Ava: I'm sorry you had to witness what transpired between Artemis and myself.

Ava: It's not that simple. It's never that simple. Please, I don't want to linger on it much longer.

(I'm going to take a risk and hope that this is a question and not an irrevocable act)

> How do I join you?

Doortje: Why would you want to join us? We're prime targets.

Doortje: But if you ask me, it's not a great idea.

> And the others?

Doortje: The Old Bloods might be another good one, but I doubt Kadmos wants anything to do with you.

(By strangling Isabel and replacing her? But… not this run, we're not that murderous.)

Doortje: The New Bloods are easy though, just act tough.

> I'll consider it then

Doortje: I mean, you're absolutely welcome. It's just… I just want to be honest with you.

> How do I stay alive?

Doortje: Honestly, if you've got to ask, you're kind of too late. But I'd look for allies. Maybe the New Bloods are good to deal with. Also, this is a castle with a lot of weird stuff. Maybe you can obtain some of that weird stuff.

> So what's your strategy?

Doortje casts a look at Ava. She returns it.

> Knowledge?

Ava: The type that saves lives, or condemns them. I always advise to listen well, and to listen in.

> Pleasure talking to you!

Ava: Likewise.

Doortje: Good luck!

> Reach out to the Old Bloods

As you approach them, Woden suddenly sits upright. Artemis stops midway through whatever point she was making.

> Good morning.

> Just wanted to get to know you

Artemis: Well, we're having our own conversation here, so why don't you bother other people of your Family.

(Wow, rude.)

Artemis: Ah, I forgot. You have none.

Woden: Jesus, Artemis. Really?

Artemis: I'm just stating facts.

(Hmm. Is that a hint of how to cozy up to this faction, if we wanted to?)

> I'll come up with something

Artemis: Do so. Uncle Kadmos does so love his gifts.

> Take care, I guess

Woden: Good luck.

(And that's the last batch, so breakfast ends…?)

He starts holding his phone up to his face and appears to be giving a monologue. Occasionally, his eyes flick over the rest of the room. Once done, he climbs onto the table and holds his phone set to record all participants.

You're too slow to act and are now also prominently displayed in the recording.

Cees: But did you know I was the first to arrive? I bet you all didn't! And I thought to myself: why not prepare a little surprise.

(… Is it buckets of pig blood?)

Cees: I…

(Nah. There was too much of it.)

For a brief moment everyone's frozen in shock. Then most just start laughing at Cees.

> Looks like no one's buying

> The staff was here, weren't they?

(Also, there are non-contestants eating, you'd be in deep poo poo.)

Theodora: Everyone, are we good?

Woden: …

He gets off his seat and moves towards Cees.

Woden: What the heck, kid.

Cees: C'mon, it was just a joke.

> Bad time for a joke

Theodora: Don't worry, everyone. We'll get him sorted out.

(There are options to press for him to be punished here, but I don't think we're taht aggressive.)

> Say nothing

Theodora: C'mon Cees. Time to teach you some sense. Again.

She pushes Cees in the direction of the exit. With the New Bloods gone, everyone goes back to doing their business.

> What's wrong?

Doortje: Nothing. That's the thing.

> I'm trying to stop all the violence

Doortje: I didn't think you'd be the peaceful kind.

> I’m tired of the bloodshed

Doortje: But… nothing has happened?

(Yes but it was the closest option available. Also, our dad died in a past Convergence, supposedly, so.)

Doortje: I mean, besides Patric.

(And the bomb)

Doortje: I just want to say: thanks.

With everyone slowly leaving, you also feel you’ve got other places to be. Time to head off into a new day.

(Visit Woden in the Garden, see what we can get out of the New Bloods in the Board Room, or try to find out the secrets of the Servants’ Room? That might be how we officially join their faction, I don’t know.)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I want to go bother Woden.

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I want to go bother Woden.

Agreed.

I'm enjoying that so far this has been a wet blanket run; the greatest treachery we can commit is undermining the Convergence itself and turning it from a horrifying blood ritual battle royale into an unpleasant country retreat with one's irritating relations. This is a general vote to keep on quietly and indiscriminately thwarting everyone else's murder attempts.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Sally Forth posted:

Agreed.

I'm enjoying that so far this has been a wet blanket run; the greatest treachery we can commit is undermining the Convergence itself and turning it from a horrifying blood ritual battle royale into an unpleasant country retreat with one's irritating relations. This is a general vote to keep on quietly and indiscriminately thwarting everyone else's murder attempts.
It's genuinely the funniest thing we can do. I don't think we should even necessarily try to win the position of Eve, just keep as many people alive as possible and see what our eldritch patron decides.

I wonder who Ava's husband is, we know she's married.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
(I'm surprised, I thought people woudl go for the Servant option, but okay…)

It takes you a moment to catch up to him, but Woden's attention has been ensnared by the events that took place during breakfast

> Call out his name

(The other option was grab his arm, which sounds like a BAD IDEA)

It takes about three tries before your call catches Woden's attention. As he turns to you, his face wears a mixture of emotions.

It takes Woden a moment to break the silence that's growing between you.

Woden: A continuing pattern, huh?

He's referring, of course, to the incident at the Great Hall. The incident which feels almost akin to another lifetime ago.

(… I feel like we've missed something here. What accusations? No one accused him of anything? Maybe this is a weird loop bug referring to something we didn't see?)

> I wanted to check on you

Woden: I appreciate it. The Convergence has a habit of bleeding any semblance of humanity dry. I can't wait until it's all over.

> Why do you hate it so much?

Woden: I hate what it does to people. What it's already done to people.

Reaching into his pocket, Woden takes out a cigarette before patting his jacket for a light.

> Watch

It takes a few moments of rummaging before he finally finds his lighter. Woden can't do anything except offer you a sheepish smile in return.

Having settled against a tree, Woden takes long drags of his cigarette before nodding towards you.

Woden: Where was I?

> The Convergence

Woden: Yeah, the event that gets us all in one room. And then gets us to kill each other. And for what? For who?

(For Druhtin, I guess.)

Woden drags a hand over his face as the questions continue to hang in the air.

> You're hiding something

(Probably someone he cared about who died in a previous one)

There's a hint of amusement in Woden's voice. Is he enjoying this little back and forth?

Woden: Some of us are more open to sharing than others.

> Are you?

Woden: Depends on what you ask, I guess?

There’s a shuffle in the distance which catches Woden’s attention. He turns to you with a smile oozing with charm.

Woden: I need to go. I’ll see you around?

He’s hopeful, like an adorable little puppy as he leaves you with a small wave goodbye.

(I… guess we made a friend? Maybe?)

(Check out the preparations in the Great Hall, see if P has managed to build Frankentstein yet in the Graveyard, or pursue the attentions of the Old Bloods in the Throne Room? That description might be a hint that it’s where we can find an object for the party, or it might just mean we plead for them to like us.)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Hmmm... I want to see what P is doing. These scenes are so short, but given the lack of a skip option when you replay and the intention to be replayed and looped I guess we're just lucky they're not longer.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Is this even a question? Go see what that weirdo P is up to.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Also, I know you're not going to 100% this, but would it be too much of a burden to replay every day once just so we get to use the knowledge we gather for something, at least if people end up dying?

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I assume there will be another prompt at the end of this day for whether we want to redo it, and if people do die during the day I'm pretty sure we'll want to try something to change that, but we'll need some idea of what we're trying to do.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

gegi posted:

I assume there will be another prompt at the end of this day for whether we want to redo it, and if people do die during the day I'm pretty sure we'll want to try something to change that, but we'll need some idea of what we're trying to do.

There's already a couple of people dying that I don't mind leaving dead.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
(Wanted to get this out now as I may be slowing down for a while after this. Other life things need some attention.)

In the lowlands, the world dies once every year, and that time is November.

Across the scene, a kaleidoscope of holes puncture the graveyard like a sewing machine gone astray. And from one of these holes, you hear a 'Tadaa!', two arms holding up what appears to be the remains of a lower leg.

P: Could you hold this for a moment?

> Accept the leg

P: Thank you! Now, let me get myself out of this hole.

With a little effort, she climbs out of the deep hole, her coat even more stained by mud and the moist of the corpses she was handling.

She takes the limb and carries it to a small white tent of some sort. Only when she unfolds the white canvas do you behold the contents.

> I had wondered…

She pays no heed to you. Instead, she carefully moves some of the other legs around, almost measuring the fresh limb against the others.

For a moment, your eyes are caught by a large black stone object lying in one of the trays. But as soon as P starts speaking again, the object disappears from your mind.

(… mysterious …)

P: I might actually be able to pull this off. Here, which of these do you think is the most suitable?

She holds two arms before you. One young and tattooed with a complex pattern reminiscent of Javanese Batik, and one skin-over-bones, petrified by the ages. Neither of them hold much appeal, but P treats them as tiny treasures.

> What is this for?

P: A fifth day surprise. Now, which one?

> The younger

(I don't know, I'm just picking)

P: It's the patterns, right? Done with the original hand-tapping technique. Give a human ink and two sticks and this is what you'll get.

She lays your choice away from the others. Next up she shows you two heads. Both look almost alike.

> Wait for her to explain herself

P: Which one?

> They look the same to me…

P: Ever since then, they no longer allow both twin siblings to participate. Not that that stops the Servants from winning still.

(Shouldn't that be 'losing'? Anyway, I want to keep bonds with P, so…)

> Right one

P: Okidokie. That's it for the choices now.

> What is this really for?

P: You really shouldn't talk about an art piece before it's finished…

P: Is there anything else you want from me?

> Let's talk about your family

P: We're a sorry bunch of rejects always pushing to the next creative frontier. Anyone particular you want to know about?

> Isabel

P: Isabel is a psychopath.

> She kind of is

P: Her entire act is to suck all the attention out of a room. Once she realised how much praise she gets for being an innocent lady trying to save the natives, she's done nothing but.

P: Who else are you interested in?

> Ronaldo

P: He's just a bit… special. You know. A sensitive boy. He also hasn't produced anything noteworthy in the last decade. At least he stopped using his 'body as a canvas'.

P: Supposedly he's doing something special for this Convergence but I haven't ran into him since the introduction.

(Neither have we… anyway, we're allowed to keep going, so)

> Floris

P: Floris is just being Floris. I don't think he's been sober for years now.

P: But he keeps us together and not fighting all the time. He knows when to act.

> Roos

P: Roos is definitely my favourite acquisition to the family.

(I obviously dislike Isabel but we're trying not to get murderous. I am curious who her father is. Can we ask this without sounding too racist? Or… poo poo, is she adopted from some poorer country as part of Isabel's 'savior' act?)

> Roos doesn't look…

P: … like Isabel? She's from Ghana. Isabel stole her from her parents.

(We're not killing Isabel. But I wouldn't shed a tear.)

> Sucks for her

P: It does.

> So what now?

> We've done this before?

P: Kind of… So, here's the thing:

(You know abotu the time travel?)

P: My whole life they called me crazy. I've seen therapist after therapist.

P: But I see all possibilities existing at once.

> So you know what will happen?

P: Only when it happens. It's not particularly useful, really.

> Why are you telling me this?

P: Because I know this is never the moment you kill me.

> Do you also have that voice?

(I mean if we can't be honest with crazy artist who can we be honest with?)

(… maybe that was too honest)

P: Oh, that's a new one. Hope it's a fun voice.

> It keeps reviving me

(Well technically we only died once but that was the option available so)

P: Wait, don't answer that question.

> Do you know what it is?

She clicks her tongue in thought.

P: Well, I still have lots to dig and collect. So I hope you'll excuse me. Have fun attending Kadmos' birthday.

> No?

(Whatever she offers has got to be better than nothing, right? … right?)

P: Here, have this.

She hands you a satchel. Inside is an off-coloured ring.

P: I’ll see you then. Good luck!

(Well, that was surprisingly informative, especially compared to our first graveyard trip. Do want to confront Cees in the Armoury or find out who’s making bathtime so much fun?)

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

You definitely should have offered to kill Isabel.

I find Cees kind of obnoxious even if he is probably sneaking off to find a weapon, let's do bathtime.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Gotta clean up before a birthday party, especially after you've been mucking about in a graveyard with your new bestie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

It is, however, uncharacteristically empty; your footsteps on the pristine tiles echo across the large room.

You hear her faintly humming on the far side of the room before you spot her in the water: Isbael. Not as empty as you'd originally thought, it seems.

(Oh no. The last person we wanted to see.)

You see her shift in the water; she knows she's not alone.

Have the events of the Convergence finally taken their toll on her? You can only wonder.

> Say nothing

(I may not be willing to strangle her. Inconvenience and annoy her? Sure.)

(I don't take orders from you!)

Isabel: Because I assure you, I've already grown tired of it.

You watch as she inches closer to you, moving carefully through the water. Her expression changes when she recognises you.

Isabel: So, are you here to do something besides grate on my nerves and disturb the peace?

> (blue choice) What's got you on edge?

Isabel narrows her eyes at you; if looks could kill. But then, oddly, she turns her back to you before finally speaking.

Isabel: Am I that easy to read now? I suppose the events as of late have made me so. They've taken a toll on me… Have me… Questioning my role in all this.

Isabel: Or rather, my safety. How much longer before I stray into a trap of someone's making? Or my body is found in a ditch?

The mere thought of it makes Isabel shudder visibly.

(I mean… We've chosen to be here. For now. We may walk away later, but we intend to see this through.)

> I can't

Isabel: You've become one of us then, no matter how much you claim otherwise. Even with your… Unique bloodline.

Isabel: I don't think I could. I can't leave this life behind me, not when I've tried so hard to build it.

Isabel: Do you think I can just walk away? Who from the Artists will carry on our legacy?

(Any option seems better than you, ma'am.)

Isabel: Ronaldo's all but disappeared. I haven't even seen him since the Ceremony.

> I think you should

(Walk out while you can. We'll all be happier.)

Isabel: Is that a threat I hear? Does the alternative spell the end for me?

> Walk away, please

Isabel shares a look with you. She knows now that there are only two ways out of this; on her own or in a body bag.

(Hey, narrator dude, I was NOT in fact threatening her! But reality is weird here.)

Isabel: I suppose… All things come to an end.

She exits the water, wrapping a towel around herself. She continues to speak, but it’s not to you.

Isabel: I deserved your name, Eve.

Regret. It flows through her words as she leaves the Bathhouse, stopping only to share a nod with you.

And on that charming note, she leaves you.

(Unsurprisingly, we can’t avoid this. Which may mean it’s likely someone will die here…)