Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

The closer you come, the heavier the drone of excitement reverberates through your bones.

It seems the Great Hall has had a complete makeover; a rather drab one at that. From the grey metallic balloons to the neutral garlands, there is nothing remotely festive about the whole affair.

The guests stand around the tables, their dress drawing more attention and awe than the decorations surrounding them could ever hope to. As you walk deeper into the hall, you are greeted by a kaleidoscope of figures. Some of whom you think you recognise from TV or your favorite websites.

(Isn't inviting celebs to the murder party a bit risky?)

> Look at the gifts

The gifts are meticulously stacked according to their sizes; both medium and large. The wrapping paper is just as visually drab as the decor itself. You lose count after the twenty-fifth gift.

Most of the guests barely grant you a look, and many of the ones you know are already deep in conversation with others. However, four people do stand out. Artemis and Roos are each at their own individual table. Lisbeth is observing her staff closely.

(Given the setup it's likely that we can do all these options before the main party starts, so…)

> Meet the unknown lady

She dons a sardonic smile as she sloshes the glass of white wine in her hands like an elaborate ritual. While you haven't met her before, something about her seems very familiar.

> Pleased to meet you, miss…?

Suzan: You're the grandchild of the previous Eve, right?

> I am indeed Eve's grandchild

Suzan: I understood she was a lovely person. My condolences for your loss.

> Thank you

She raises her glass and proceeds to take a careful sip.

> What are you up to this evening?

Suzan: Enjoying the party and staying out of whatever the Families are getting themselves into.

> You're not with the New Bloods?

Suzan: Indeed, I'm just me. My mother married into the New Bloods after my father passed away. The Pactheer family are my step-family. So I'm not a native in this whole spectacle. More of a tourist.

> What do you think of all this?

Suzan: If you told me that every decade or so four prominent Dutch families would get together to duke it out in a castle in Noord-Brabant, I would have called you mad. And yet, here we are.

> Let's talk about something else…

The two share three cheek kisses as is traditional in these circles. She makes space for him to join you.

Richard: And you! Oh, you look lovely.

> I don't think we've met

Richard: Oh, no wonder. That's too far removed for me to remember. What am I, an Old Blood? Hah!

(We're not super friendly with Diana, but on the scale of horrible people she hasn't been that bad and I may as well be polite to this fellow)

> No, she's great

Suzan: You must've given her a strong handshake then.

> How do you feel about Cees' participation?

Richard: THe boy always gets himself in this sort of trouble. I had warned him this would happen. Now he's learned the lesson the hard way.

Suzan says nothing, but her expression freezes in a most particular way.

> It's all… peachy

(Everything else is too aggressive)

Suzan: Peachy? Oh, okay.

Richard: Actually, now you're here anyway…

(While we may rethink this as the day progresses, it feels like so far no one is too keen to join anybody.)

> Still considering it

Richard: Don't take long, or someone makes the choice for you. If you know what I mean.

He raises his glass in your honour.

Richard: But Suzan, tell me, how are you my dear? I haven't seen you in months now.

The conversation soon concentrates on Suzan's business. It becomes apparent that Richard's solutions are very unlike Suzan's. The dialogue becomes terser, despite the friendly appearances. It's probably best to leave the two to themselves.

(Yep, now we can pick another.)

> Speak with Roos

She's leaned over a notepad where she occasionally jots down words and sentences. When you get near her, she jolts up.

> What are you working on?

Roos: … It's poetry. It's not good. Not yet. It's really hard, actually.

> Why write it then?

Roos: Floris thinks I have talent. And, y'know, being an Artist now, I really should start developing my skills as soon as I can. I'm just not good at it.

> Not good at it YET

Roos: Maybe… hmm.

> Where is Isabel?

Roos: Being all smoochy and important with the other Families.

> She does that often?

Roos: … Yeah … At least she's not dragging me everywhere.

> Why does she do that?

Roos: I guess she wants to show off how she's really my mum.

(We know this already but whatever. Also, NO WAY are we phrasing this as 'saved')

> An orphan?

Roos: … No.

> Oh…

Roos: My parents aren't dead. It's just… when I was little, one day some people picked me up from school and put me on an airplane to the Netherlands. And suddenly I had a new mom.

> That's messed up

Roos: I guess… Like… my name's not even Roos.

You are suddenly joined by a flamboyant man. You recall his name is Floris, the head of the Artists.

Floris: You should know better than to speak to a talentless hack like Eve's grandchild. You'll learn nothing from them.

(I guess Isabel isn't the only Artist who's a dick.)

> I have a name, you know

Floris: Oh, do you now? Who'd you rob?

(… no, no one cares what our name is.)

Floris: Anyway, congratulations on KAdmos' birthday.

(How are WE congratulated for that? Is this a Dutch thing?)

Not awaiting your reply, he peers over at Roos' notepad. Without asking for permission he lifts it up and starts paging through it. Occasionally a 'hum' or an 'ah' follows.

Floris: Style forms are a little so-so, lacking the usual flair. You need to love the language a little more. This is workman's prose. And you've got to work on your grammar, dear. Regardless, this is miles better than what Prudentia and Roy were producing at your age. So keep it going.

(Prudentia? Is that P's full name?)

Floris: What are you still doing here?

> Just wondering where you were going

(You sass me, I sass you)

Floris: Every word you say to me chips away at my creativity.

> Nanyamka and I were talking

Floris: Yes. And now you're done. Off you go, then. Stop bothering people who actually have a future ahead of them.

(There was an option to ask about joining the faction but… do you really think that would work?)

His gaze shoves you back to the main floor of the party.

> Greet Lisbeth

> How are you?

Lisbeth: I've honestly had better Convergence experiences. But so far, no deaths among us Servants yet. I don't think that has happened before. Usually, my people are the first to be killed. But not this time…

> I stopped Woden

Lisbeth: She told me. And you have our respect and admiration for it. Not many people risk their lives for us. Especially not someone who would have benefited from her death.

> I'm completely overwhelmed

Lisbeth: … I understand that.

> I wasn't told about this birthday!

Lisbeth: My apologies, it also slipped my mind. But that the others didn't inform you was by design: this is one way to never gain Kadmos' approval.

(Actually they DID inform me, eventually. So, you know, probably not doing too badly.)

> But we're a part of this whole thing

Lisbeth: As a matter of fact, you and your lineage hold a very important place among the Families. But… people forget our ways and corruption lies looming.

> They treat you like poo poo too

> Explain to me the dynamics

Lisbeth: The Servant branch once started as a means for freedom. Understand that many of us had ancestors forced into serfdom, indentured and enslaved. The Patron provided our forebears the means to escape absolutely gruelling conditions.

> But why remain?

Lisbeth: Because we still represent one of the five aspects of Humanity. To leave is to betray the Patron and all the sacrifices those before us made.

Lisbeth: Not to mention that even in this day and age abuse and enslavement are still rampant. And as such all those who serve in desperation should still find elevation among us.

Lisbeth: But I want you to understand that the Families started with mutual respect. With the understanding that we need each other as much as we need ourselves.

Lisbeth: …

Lisbeth: … I will have to tell you the truth about your mother.

> My mother?

Lisbeth: Your mother, yes. If we want to speak of her, we’ll have to leave for somewhere else. The subject matter is… sensitive, to say the least.

(Okay, so, here’s a choice that looks important. Go off with Lisbeth in the hope that she tells us more dark secrets about our past, knowing that it will alienate others and waste the inroads we made with Artemis and P, or stay for the party and risk losing the information? Yesterday, it was trying to chase our memories that led to Ava’s original death…)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

We can redo today if necessary, we'll probably end up seeing both. Let's go see what our mother was about

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Grab all the info we can. this sounds really important and we can walk back time with our info if when people die as a result

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Grab all the info we can. this sounds really important and we can walk back time with our info if when people die as a result

Let's not redo the day if Isabel dies.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah, I feel like we should learn what's up with our dead mom and then try and go back to get those sweet sweet Kadmos inroads if need be.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Marluxia posted:

Let's not redo the day if Isabel dies.
Well, if she's the only death in a day I'm certainly not going to weep too hard over it. I think forcing a completely bloodless Convergence despite there being a pre-Convergence murder would be really funny, though.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
> Tell me about my mother

While the festivities are in full bloom, Lisbeth takes you outside through one of the many doors of the Great Hall. As she leads you further down the corridors, the cacophony of voices slowly fade from earshot - and your mind.

Lisbeth stops at one of the display cases. Inside the case is an old book with a frayed hard leather cover, opened up to display a page filled with neat but entirely illegible handwriting.

> We're the biggest danger

(because we have time powers or something)

Lisbeth: To many, you certainly are. Your lineage… is a special one.

> They can kill us, but not the idea

Lisbeth: That is exactly it. As we speak, there are hundreds of you out there. Unaware of what their ancestors walked away from. And every generation more walk away to forget.

> But no one can truly leave …

Lisbeth: If you want to leave, you can. But only according to our rules. So you can understand that some here believe the mere existence of your lineage is an affront to their position and the Patron.

(Hmm. That's kind of confusing though since it seems like some will show up anyway, and it's unlikely that MANY will show up no matter what. But does that mean that)

> The Twins are now also one of us?

Lisbeth: They are, but I doubt they've realised this yet.

(Does that mean that if we do talk Isabel into bugging out instead of dying, she becomes part of our family?)

> The Families … killed my parents?

Lisbeth: Not exactly. But I'll get to that.

Lisbeth: The page you see before you is a declaration. A promise that all those who betray the Patron can never truly leave.

> What lineage am I really?

Lisbeth: That's irrelevant. All evidence that you've ever been a part of anything has been erased.

> Is this why I can join a Family?

Lisbeth: Exactly. It is honourable for a Family to bring Those Who Left back into the fold.

Lisbeth: Of course, for the Convergence to function there must always be five Families participating. Your true acceptance into the Family of your choice will occur after the Convergence.

> How does my mother fit in here?

Lisbeth: Mostly through your grandmother. By understanding why you are special, you'll understand why your direct lineage is special.

Lisbeth: It has been centuries since your lineage could bring forth multiple generations before being removed from existence. And your grandmother, with her ingenuity and insight, made that happen. She was extraordinary beyond measure.

Lisbeth: Come, follow me. For the following I should never speak of without her knowing.

(We have to stand by Grandma's body?)

She leads you away from the Library without another word. Soon enough you get to corridors very familiar to you, and the place she leads you is a place you'd have preferred never to be in again.

As you stand there, you witness once more Eve staring down at you, her dress still stained with old corpse blood.

Lisbeth observes Eve with a certain reverence.

(Yeah and I'm still not sure if Eve made US do it…)

Lisbeth: I might have twisted the truth a little…

> Say nothing

Lisbeth: I did warn you you couldn't trust me. But let me explain my reasoning: I will tell you the truth. But had I told you the truth before, you could have left before the Convergence. And you might understand now how I could not have risked that.

> Explain yourself

Lisbeth: Before I start, you must understand this: Your mother was always there for you. Don't ever, ever forget that.

(We killed Daddy together?)

Lisbeth: Your father in particular was horrified with what his mother had become in order to win. He… naively wanted to spare you the same fate. He prepared himself during the five days of the Convergence. He arranged new IDs, hotels, and hideouts. He had left nothing up to chance.

Lisbeth: And during Eve's coronation, when everyone had gathered here in praise of the new Favourite, he forced you to go with him. He stole one of the cars from the staff and left. Onto a new life, far far away from us. He had prepared for everything, taken everything into account. Or so he thought.

Lisbeth: Your father died that night in a car crash. That was never a lie.

> Listen

Lisbeth: Your mother told me she was surprised at how agitated your father was. Surprised, because once her mother-in-law would become the Eve, everything would change for them, for the better.

Lisbeth: She saw what the Families could provide and believed you'd always be safe. She'd never wanted her childhood to be yours.

Lisbeth: Your father's agitation became noticeable to other people. People like Diana, Kadmos, and myself. It was Kadmos who then spoke to your mother. He demanded of her to talk some sense into your father. Or else he'd take everything from her, including you.

Lisbeth: But it was your mother who drove after him. She who forced him off the road and caused him to crash into the tree that became his undoing.

> …

Lisbeth: I'm sorry.

> I don't know what to say

Lisbeth: Sometimes no words are enough.

> Continue

Lisbeth: Needless to say, Eve was unhappy with your mother's actions. In punishment, she exiled your mother from our Families, but with two caveats: Whenever Eve wanted to see you, your mother was required to bring you.

Lisbeth: If your mother would not bring you home every now and then, Eve would make sure your mother's life would be a living hell.

> What about my mother's death?

Lisbeth: I thought it was suspicious too, so I did my own investigation. Ironically, by all appearances, it was an accident.

> A genuine accident…

(Then what WAS Eve trying to get us to do?)

Lisbeth: I know you'd prefer to have more closure and more answers, but this is all I can provide to you.

> Thank you for telling me

Lisbeth: I wish it had never been necessary.

> I need time to think

Lisbeth: Of course.

The corpse still stares down at you. Her gaze piercing into your soul like no living being has done before.

Only barely do you remember to lock the door behind you, ready to pass out for another night. But as you lay there waiting for dreams to take you afar, something in the back of your mind feels strange. As if something else should have happened.

(So, here we are again! We have NO IDEA what might have happened at the party, and nothing that we learned with Lisbeth triggered any of those ‘this afffects reality’ popups. Interesting information but not really relevant to affecting the flow of events, only our motives.

Do we take this day again so that we can go to the party? And do we still hang out with Woden, or do we visit the Servants to make alliances? I think our interactions with P and Isabel went fairly well so I don’t see any reason to adjust those…)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Only change remaining at the party.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

gegi posted:

Floris: Anyway, congratulations on KAdmos' birthday.

(How are WE congratulated for that? Is this a Dutch thing?)

Yep.

A traditional Dutch birthday "party" looks something like this.

Everyone sits in a big circle, with a cup of coffee and a piece of cake. Later on there might even be some beer or soda and a bowl of chips or a plank of cheese cubes as snacks.
And people just sit. And talk. And that's it.

And when someone new arrives to the 'party', tradition says they go round the circle, shake everyone's hand and say "congratulations on [your uncle]'s birthday" or whatever.

It is horrifyingly boring and I am regularly forced to sit through this when a family member has their birthday.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Today I Learned, thanks!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

Only change remaining at the party.
I agree with this. Besides, I liked talking to Woden, and if we change too much, it might get confusing keeping track of what we remember that never happened for other people. Best be conservative if we don't want the only person to understand us to be P.

I wonder, if we did talk Isabel into leaving, what would happen to Roos/Nanyamka? I get the impression people that leave aren't necessarily allowed to take their children with them - after all, Nanyamka might be adopted, but she's certainly been accepted as belonging to the lineage of the Artists, and from what Lisbeth was saying, I think a lot of the Families aren't actually descended from the same handful of people. It certainly sounded like Lisbeth was saying that people in unimaginable forms of bondage could somehow make contact with the Patron and make their way to the Families to become Servants, and that the standard of life for someone in the Servant lineage is a lot better than the standard of life people would have been escaping from. So people can be called to join if they fit into one of the archetypes? Or maybe it's mostly people descended from members that Walked Away that decide they fit into one group or another best, like we could.

Anyway, given Isabel's actual parenting, it might be for the best if she lost custody of Nanyamka by leaving. I'm also not sure how old Nanyamka is, if she was old enough to be going to school when Isabel bought or stole her, and she was presumably at the Convergence 10 years ago since Isabel lied about us having said something terrible to her then and P only called her out on lying about us, not about Nanyamka being there. I thought she was like, 13, but now I'm thinking 15 or 16? I figured we were mid-20s ourselves, since we were a teenager last go around.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Huh. I haven't heard of this, which is wild bc it should've been right up my alley. Thanks for giving it a go, OP.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
> I think I'll redo this day

Are you sure you wish to harvest opportunities anew?

> Take me back to the morning

(So, Chris wakes us up. We go to breakfast, we go see Woden, we visit P in the graveyard, we vaguely threaten Isabel in the bath. We arrive at the festivities for Kadmos' party, chat with Susan and Nanyamka, touch base with Lisbeth. At last she offers us the option for information if we leave the party, but this time…)

> You're right, it can wait

Lisbeth: And mind your words. You'll need Kadmos' support if you want to win.

With that she turns back to regulating the festivities.

> Approach Artemis

She stands alone at one of the standing tables.

> Nod at her

Artemis: I hope you brought Kadmos a gift.

(I hope we did too, since we SHOULD have one but the options don't mention it)

> Well, happy birthday

Artemis: We'll see about that. But yes, happy birthday to uncle Kadmos.

> Can we talk about something else?

Artemis: What do you want to talk about?

Artemis: And you have nothing that I could ever be interested in.

('I have a great body' is one of our options. NO. As is pressing her about Ava. Also seems unwise.)

> So you're a winner?

Artemis: Always am, always will be. Don't mistake the likes of the Twins, Patric, or Woden for what my family is capable of.

> And what is that?

Artemis: Surely it would be quite frightening if you'd have to face a group of people who'd use those centuries of knowledge and preparation against you?

Artemis: …

(yeah, you keep telling yourself that)

> So the others don't?

Artemis: They've been given everything in life. And rather than build themselves up to be the best, they moan and squander. And that is why I will win, and they will not.

Artemis: Anyhow, I have some other guests to entertain.

She is soon joined by a delegation of fancy-looking people. From her posture it is obvious she does not want to be associated with you.

> Wait until the festivities commence

(Kadmos's bodyguards? The auditors checking to see if I brought a gift? The feds?)

Without awaiting your approval, they usher you towards the back of the Great Hall. There Kadmos stands, his eyes trained on everyone daring to approach him.

He observes your presence, but everything in his eyes lacks understanding. He knows you're there, but that's all there is to it.

(Unfortunately I have little understanding of the right level of manners to deliver complex messages. I do not wish to cower and I do not wish to be rude.)

> Happy Birthday, sir

Kadmos: Thank you.

> I have this [Present Ring]

He takes it from you and carefully empties the contents of the satchel.

Kadmos: Have you been graverobbing?

(Alas, 'yes' is not an option)

> P gave it to me

Kadmos: Ah! That explains a lot. Perhaps you shouldn't take gifts nor suggestions from other Contestants? But what else did I expect from the likes of you.

Kadmos: You should've been forgotten. Cast into the Abyss of memories. Left to fester in darkness. You're a parasite, a mistake. And for that you and all of your treacherous kin should be punished… for eternity.

(I'm NOT apologising to this prick which leaves me with only…)

> What did I do to deserve this?

Kadmos: Be the result of a long lineage of failure. Now get out of my sight.

His gaze turns away from you, not even acknowledging you anymore.

You gaze back at the queue of Candidates showering one extravagant gift onto him after another. In your mind you feel subdued rage, a flare of injustice that should never burn.

You find yourself being stared at by Doortje, who clearly opted not to join the queue.

> What an rear end in a top hat

Doortje: Born and bred. And as long as no one takes him to task on it, we'll just have to put up with it.

> What do you want?

Doortje: Just a talk. You know, all things considered this is a pretty easy-going Convergence.

> Like the bomb in the Courtyard

Doortje: Thank god it was disarmed. Who knows what would have happened. Anyway, don’t let me keep you angry and occupied.

She pushes herself away from the wall and joins the festivities.

The rest of the evening you spend more or less trying to join various little groups of people. You’re introduced to partners, children, and even grandchildren. You thought you’d be treated with apprehension, but soon you even find yourself having a laugh with Rayan’s wife, Hannah. Nothing about this evening breathes any of the stress you thought you’d experience and you find yourself briefly forgetting just where you are.

If only that feeling would remain…

(And from here we return to the bedroom. Well, it doesn’t seem like we accomplished anything much, unfortunately. But so it goes. This is the day we had; on to the next)

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
You dream of your normal life. Your normal job, home and hobbies. In your dream you interact with people who do not seek to kill you or belittle you based on the circumstances of your birth. You dream of all you've lost and all you could once more gain.

You sink back and forth, from reality to dream, from nightmare to bliss. It takes you a good hour before you truly wake up.

Suddenly a series of knocks on your door wakes you up. A friendly face of a member of staff takes you down to the Great Hall for a communal breakfast.

It appears that despite not much death occurring, everyone's maintaining a respectful distance from one another. But the silence is only short lived.

Floris: We've now gone days without a single occurrence of anything of interest!

(Yup, our helpful avoidance of murder is annoying people.)

You see Floris speeding from one Candidate to another, his agitation reaching its zenith.

Floris: You! What have you done to make this Convergence worth my while!

Floris: At least your fellow New Blood Cees tried to sow some well-deserved Chaos. But here you are, enjoying… toast.

Floris: You!

Floris: And why not? What is that gun if not just an accessory? You're just as much of a bore as anyone else. But what does one even expect from the Old Bloods?

Floris: You, however!

Floris: I would have at least expected something wild and transgressive from you by now!

Floris: Especially now that Isabel has disappeared. At least she knew how to entertain.

(O-ho, did she decide to skedaddle after our little warning talk?)

> Well, screw you

Floris: Ah! At least an insult. Thank god. Imagine you'd be so toothless not to call out my behavior.

Floris: I swear, if nothing changes this instant, I will make my own entertainment.

> Are you going to kill them?

Floris: It wouldn't be fun if I told you what I'm planning. Pick a person.

> I don't want to choose again

Floris: But you're so good at it. Now pick a person.

(So no, we can't avoid choosing this time)

> Look for a person

While there are many people to choose from, your attention goes to the ones previously addressed by Floris. Theodora hasn’t touched her toast since Floris’ comment. Woden leans back in his chair, cross-armed and waiting hawk-eyed for your next move. P is frantically looking through her pockets, as if she’s expecting something to have happened. You also observe a member of staff, Chris, awaiting the moment he and the others can clear the room.

(Who do we pick now?

I don’t know why it calls out Chris when we can’t pick him. Maybe that’s something that has to be unlocked through loops only after finding out what Floris has in mind.

Also, the game is discounted for the steam Autumn Sale if you have the urge to find your own fate.)

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
... what a missed opportunity. When someone asks you, "Pick a person," and you suspect that nothing good is going to come of this, look around, hem and haw a bit, then turn back to the individual giving commands, and then, all-faux hesitation, ask, "You are a person, right?" And before they can reply "pick someone else", quickly indicate that you've picked them and will not go back on your choice.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

myself

It's been a bit since we've gotten ourselves killed. We should fix that. And who knows? There is a tiiiiny chance it could turn out to be a good thing after all.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

myself

It's been a bit since we've gotten ourselves killed. We should fix that. And who knows? There is a tiiiiny chance it could turn out to be a good thing after all.
Yeah, might as well have fun with it if we're not going to perma-die, although I wish we could pick Floris. Or even Kadmos, lmao.

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012

Should be funny. Although I really wish Floris was an option.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
> Myself

He puts his hand onto your face and grabs the edges strongly.

Floris: Oh, Eve's grandchild…

You feel the Elder's fingers digging into your flesh and burrowing through the bones of your skull.

(That's… not how fingers normally work?)

You scream yourself into the void.

(Okay, so he does actually have some kind of mystical power. Interesting.)

> Oh, I'm dead again

It appears so.

You should know, I've never quite figured Floris out. Years he'd spend doing genuine charity, only to turn around and ruin the lives of those depending on him. I suppose that, if anything, he desires change.

> So do I

Yes! But you have the ability to switch through many lives. Floris does not, and I suppose this is how he deals with that.

Shall I send you back?

> Yes, please

Good luck.

(Unfortunately, no new option has been unlocked. Bah. Well, he implied that he’s reluctant to kill anyone other than us, so he MIGHT not do the same thing to whomever we choose? He might just torture them a bit?

Theodora we’ve barely interacted with. If something awful happens, she’s probably the one we’d miss the least.

Woden is somewhat fond of us, but he also has an extremely twitchy temper. He seems most likely to react badly to whatever Floris does.

P is sort of a friend, if a crazy one. Because of her foresight she may be the best prepared to react to whatever Floris does. She seemed to be trying to do something already… or else she knows that she’s screwed.)

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I feel like choosing Woden is going to get multiple people shot.
so
Woden it is

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ugh, this is a hard decision. I'm tempted to go with P because as an Artist Floris might go easiest on her and she might be best prepared, but I'm going to vote Theodora because there's no friendship to risk, sad to say.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

StupidSexyMothman posted:

I feel like choosing Woden is going to get multiple people shot.
so
Woden it is

:f5h::shepface:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Ugh, this is a hard decision. I'm tempted to go with P because as an Artist Floris might go easiest on her and she might be best prepared, but I'm going to vote Theodora because there's no friendship to risk, sad to say.

lol, c'mon, does this guy really strike you as the kind to go easy on his faction? Nope, P is loving dead if we pick her. I kind of want him to stay alive, but Woden might be entertaining to watch play out.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Marluxia posted:

lol, c'mon, does this guy really strike you as the kind to go easy on his faction? Nope, P is loving dead if we pick her. I kind of want him to stay alive, but Woden might be entertaining to watch play out.
No, but if he likes chaos it seems like P would provide that. Still, I don't want to throw her under the bus at all, of all the people we can pick she's the one I like the most and she's the one who understands us the most.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Theodora.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Woden because he seems likeliest to kill Floris in response to whatever Floris does and I don't like Floris.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
> Woden

As Floris walks over to Woden, he seemingly tries to climb out of his chair before the Elder is there. While normally you would have expected Woden to be gone by now, something in him is freezing up.

Floris lays his hand onto Woden's face, and an expression of pure, unadulterated fear follows from the Old Blood. You see Floris tensing up his fingers and…

He lets go of his face and pats Woden on his shoulder.

Floris: As if I would kill a Contestant. Good job, all, I had my fun. That was at least mildly entertaining.

And with those words he leaves you.

(Well, no one died. Woden may be pissed at us now though.)

Everyone around you releases the breath they were holding until now.

With the head of the Artists now gone, the mood in the Hall becomes subdued and quiet again. But despite your best efforts, no one seems to be much interested in inviting you to their plans.

You're considering leaving when you notice one of the members of staff, Chris, is watching you with expectation.

> Approach him

> All going smoothly, eh?

Chris: We are professionals, after all. But honestly, I had expected to break out the hydrogen peroxide a lot more often, if you know what I mean.

Chris: Is there anything else you wish from me?

> Nothing, thanks

He puts on his polite grin again.

(Weird…)

But there is nothing more to do here than linger, and soon you find yourself provoked into leaving. A new day awaits.

(So, find out what the Servants are doing, or check in on Ronaldo who we haven’t seen since this all started?)

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

We're pretty invested in the Servants line, I don't really care about joining them but may as well keep it going.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The servants sound like they've got more going on than Ronaldo right now.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Servants.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I think we should check in with Ronaldo. Maybe he’s been working on something big that might shake the game up

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Not much remains of the past day’s events; almost as if it never really happened. You remember Lisbeth’s words: “The Servants work their miracles silently.” The Great Hall in its current state is definitely proof of that.

The hall itself is empty, devoid of both Contestants as well as any member of the Servants. You linger a little further… the silence is a welcome change of pace for you.

However, it doesn’t last. You’re interrupted by an irritated-looking Servant clearing his throat. When you turn to face him, he motions to the main door, asking you to leve so that they can begin preparing for the Coronation.

(… has anyone mentioned the Coronation before?)

(… Wow, what a dud of an event. Perhaps this would have been different if we’d officially joined them yesterday? Sounds like we’re too late for the inside scoop now.)

(Interestingly…)

(… we get a second shot at seeing what Ronaldo’s doing.)

(Well that’s a worrying event name…)

(All right, then. Take the hint and go check on Ronaldo? Follow the obviously ominous suggestion of the library? Or ignore all this and hang out with our buddy P who is probably building some sort of zombie?)

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Oh gently caress yes, who cares about murders? We've gotta see how P's zombie is doing.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Last gasp weekend nudge for votes as I feel like many people missed it when it went up...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'll put in another vote for P's zombie.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

It's probably important to check on Ronaldo if they give you the option twice.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Without waiting for your reply, she drags you over to a large trestle supported table. On top of it lies a plastic white canvas with another sheet over it - just barely coveringsomething that is suspiciously body-shaped.

> You've been busy

P: When the mania hits, you've got to put it to work, right? Wait, it's still covered. Hold on.

She grabs the sheet and carefully, almost un-P-like, folds it down neatly, as if uncovering an old painting. Before you, the top of a body is unveiled. In true Frankenstein's-monster fashion you can see how different body parts have been glued and stitched together. A canvas of a body if you will.

P: I'm so excited this is nearing completion?

> What is this?

P: So, I told you before about seeing multiple realities unfolding at once?

(So I guess we didn't need to see that event to see this one.)

P: Anyhow. So. You can imagine I'd like that to stop, right?

(Why? It can be useful!)

(I mean, actual-me thinks this sounds like a bad idea, but for the way we've been going, sure why not?)

> Okay, go on?

P: Alright. I started digging into the history of this Castle, the Families, the Convergences before this one. And I thought to myself, what if I build the perfect Candidate? Surely the Patron must want it?

(Surely the perfect Candidate needs to not be dead.)

P: … and this is why I started digging up the bodies of previous Candidates and Favourites and put it all together in this… effigy.

> Interesting…

P: Well, anyhow, it’s almost complete. I just need to add one more thing.

(Someone’s heart. Possibly someone’s still-beating heart. Hopefully not ours.)

She runs off to a makeshift tent that looks to be filled to the brim with body parts. Shortly afterwards she appears again, holding her hands together as if she was carefully keeping hold of a bird.

(Not beating then?)

She opens up her hands, and within them lies a black crystal, the size of a fist. But your eyes have difficulty focusing on it, as if something keeps trying to push your attention away from the crystal.

(Oh right that thing, we spotted it earlier.)

A queasy feeling develops inside of you the longer you try to look at it. And something in the back of your mind starts crying out.

P: Tadaa!

(Aw hell. Usually I pick blue choices when I get the option, because we are a clever clogs after all. But this seems like one where I need to ask you guys about it first. Steal the Dark Crystal or let P continue with her zombie? We’ll probably learn something interesting either way.)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

As a thoughtful and patient person I say SNATCH THAT poo poo

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Ask what it is before engaging in any precipitous actions that involve coming into physical contact with the thing that should not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Whatever is the option that lets P put it in. Which is probably what is it?