Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, I've played Parlor LARPS, which have not system, just people in a room with motivations, goals and secrets. They're cool, but I can't imagine it working on a large scale, or having a pirate game without at least some sword fighting.

The setting for the game we're running is a yearly gathering of pirate crews to elect the captain of a pirate fort in Port Royal. There will be a lot of pirate politicking, I'm sure a fair amount of skullduggery and I'm probably a little bit of swashbuckling. There's the main plot for the big kids, and then a couple of B plots for the rank and file to participate in.

You can have systemless sword fighting, or very light stuff that's more about creating a dramatic scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

lines posted:

You can have systemless sword fighting, or very light stuff that's more about creating a dramatic scene.

Do you care to elaborate on this?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Bucnasti posted:

Do you care to elaborate on this?

So the example I'm going with in the system I'm writing is: players can't just kick off with each other (cos there are bouncers off-camera and they will obliterate you) but they can agree to duels.

Each player starts with three duelling cards representing a weapon (sword, pistol, or grog) and a skill. When players fight a duel, they select one of their cards that matches the agreed weapon, show it to the other player so they both know who's actually going to win the duel, then roleplay the duel through for the entertainment of everybody watching.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Whybird posted:

So the example I'm going with in the system I'm writing is: players can't just kick off with each other (cos there are bouncers off-camera and they will obliterate you) but they can agree to duels.

Each player starts with three duelling cards representing a weapon (sword, pistol, or grog) and a skill. When players fight a duel, they select one of their cards that matches the agreed weapon, show it to the other player so they both know who's actually going to win the duel, then roleplay the duel through for the entertainment of everybody watching.

That sounds cool, but how is that systemless?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Bucnasti posted:

That sounds cool, but how is that systemless?

Ah, I misread systemless as "not boffer combat".

I guess the way you'd do systemless combat would be just to say something like "you can swordfight all you like but you can only hit the other player if they let you, and they get to decide how serious the wound is, because this isn't a game where any of your problems are the kind swordfighting will solve ".

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Whybird posted:

Ah, I misread systemless as "not boffer combat".

I guess the way you'd do systemless combat would be just to say something like "you can swordfight all you like but you can only hit the other player if they let you, and they get to decide how serious the wound is, because this isn't a game where any of your problems are the kind swordfighting will solve ".

They're pirates, I specifically want them to be able to stab eachother to resolve conflicts, that's what pirates do.

lines is suggesting "systemless sword fighting" and I want to know how that would work?

To me systemless means there are no conflict resolution rules, characters interact exclusively by talking, these are commonly called Parlor Larps. I've played a couple of them and they're fun but I can't imagine that working with more than a handful of people in a very controlled environment.
I need something that will work for 30+ people who are mostly strangers and have a wide range of roleplaying experience. Telling them all to "just go with it" will result in them burning the building down.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Systemless would be "have a conversation and work out who's going to win the duel, then act out the duel in a suitably dramatic fashion"

We did this at Empire quite recently, for a wrestling-style series of 2v2 fights. Didn't bother with the rules, whole thing was rigged and it played out in front of a cheering crowd.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Systemless would be "have a conversation and work out who's going to win the duel, then act out the duel in a suitably dramatic fashion"

We did this at Empire quite recently, for a wrestling-style series of 2v2 fights. Didn't bother with the rules, whole thing was rigged and it played out in front of a cheering crowd.

Yeah, this is what I meant really. Agree beforehand roughly what the outcome is going to be and do that. It's the kind of thing that I think some of the EuroLarp/"Nordic larp" games do? The key thing is imbuing players with the notion that their goal is not to "win the day", but to create the most dramatic scenes and lift up others and provide opportunities for them to look cool.

Or you do it like this: if someone threatens you with a sword, and you don't have a sword, they get what they want. If you both have a sword, and you fight about it, both of you are fatally wounded and die. That really emphasises the "tragic violence" side of things. (If I was doing this and I also wanted people to have knives, I'd do a "knives beats unarmed, swords beats knives, guns beats swords" thing, that's a thing I've seen work well.)

I agree that "systemless" is not an ideal term because really anything short of "gently caress it do whatever" is systemless, but I did mean "no contest resolution rules" I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

(removed: forgot I'd posted that already)

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 17, 2023