Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

This is the November Current Events thread.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/31/tech/sam-altman-ai-risk-taker/index.html

quote:

Sam Altman thinks the technology underpinning his company’s most famous product could bring about the end of human civilization.

In May, OpenAI CEO Sam Altman filed into a Senate subcommittee hearing room in Washington, DC, with an urgent plea to lawmakers: Create thoughtful regulations that embrace the powerful promise of artificial intelligence – while mitigating the risk that it overpowers humanity. It was a defining moment for him and for the future of AI.

With the launch of OpenAI’s ChatGPT late last year, Altman, 38, emerged overnight as the poster child for a new crop of AI tools that can generate images and texts in response to user prompts, a technology called generative AI. Not long after its release, ChatGPT became a household name almost synonymous with AI itself. CEOs used it to draft emails, people built websites with no prior coding experience, and it passed exams from law and business schools. It has the potential to revolutionize nearly every industry, including education, finance, agriculture and healthcare, from surgeries to medicine vaccine development.

But those same tools have raised concerns about everything from cheating in schools and displacing human workers – even an existential threat to humanity. The rise of AI, for example, has led economists to warn of a labor market. As many as 300 million full-time jobs around the world could eventually be automated in some way by generative AI, according to Goldman Sachs estimates. About 14 million positions could disappear in the next five years alone, according to an April report by the World Economic Forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Altman and the big industry titans are all in favor of new regulations because those regulations will entrench the market advantage that current leaders with money have. Tale as old as time.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm just gonna assume this is Eliezer Yudkowsky's fault somehow.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Quackles posted:

I'm just gonna assume this is Eliezer Yudkowsky's fault somehow.

I hate how so many of the Internet weirdos we used to laugh at a decade ago are all now in the mainstream. Dork enlightenment, AI cults, anti-vax, cryptocurrency bros, and all other kinds of proto-fash bullshit.

Though I guess we owe juggalos and furries an apology because those groups cleaned house much better than anyone else has.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I would simply ban AI

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Milo and POTUS posted:

I would simply ban AI

instructions unclear, now banning anyone who's posted in automotive insanity

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1719721047216329058?t=jwTz3TWRnHh2id9yoV5PkA&s=19

LEAVE BRITNEY JUNIOR ALOOOOOOONE! :qq:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Junior is doing fine and doesn't seem to want to be left alone - he's got his podcast, he's driving late models, I don't know why OH not Junior Junior, the dipshit one

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

maffew buildings posted:

Junior is doing fine and doesn't seem to want to be left alone - he's got his podcast, he's driving late models, I don't know why OH not Junior Junior, the dipshit one

I can never remember which one is Stank and which one is Chode. I also do not care enough to attempt to do so.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I would simply ban AI

How? It's like the internet or social media, there are going to be all sorts of goofy downstream effects but the genie is out of the bottle.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How? It's like the internet or social media, there are going to be all sorts of goofy downstream effects but the genie is out of the bottle.

And if it can produce things, the least beneficial thing you could do for yourself is to give away control of it to rich people aka, das kapital.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Right now the biggest limiting factor in AI is the high end chips you need absolute shitloads of to run your models efficiently. A big part of the CHIPs act and other export restrictions to China is based on keeping them from accessing the hardware needed to operate equally powerful AI models. So one avenue of attack is to regulate the chips and look really close at anyone buying up large numbers of them.

Alternatively we could just start the Butlerian Jihad.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

maffew buildings posted:

That's JunYER.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Right now the biggest limiting factor in AI is the high end chips you need absolute shitloads of to run your models efficiently. A big part of the CHIPs act and other export restrictions to China is based on keeping them from accessing the hardware needed to operate equally powerful AI models. So one avenue of attack is to regulate the chips and look really close at anyone buying up large numbers of them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind just sounds like common sense

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MA-Horus posted:

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind just sounds like common sense

But what it could make me money?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
From the previous month:

quote:

Huh. I'd thought the 'porch light on = we have candy, porch light off = no candy/not home' was more widespread.

There's not a lot you can do when you live in an apartment building and have no control over the light out front.

quote:

Trying to imagine what form of anxiety becomes crippling when children in costume ring the door bell, then really trying to imagine how the thought of putting a "NO TREATS" sign on the door is a good idea considering the desired outcome.

I have a bad startle response to sudden loud noises and it wasn't knocking or ringing the doorbell, they were basically pounding on it. I'm not kidding when I say the last one to "knock" sounded more like someone trying to punt our front door -- a loud enough bang that it made us both jump.

If we had a doorbell, or a way to actually see people approaching the door, it would have been less bad.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Regulate it out of existence. You won't be able to get rid of it all, sure, but with things like "anything AI-generated is uncopyrightable" it'll become less palatable, and especially if any of the lawsuits currently investigating "hey your training data just slurped up a bunch of copyrighted poo poo illegally" pan out against AI it could change pretty quick.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I went over my friend's place last night, and he and his wife have an annual gimmick where they give out full size bars but the kids (or adults) have to "earn" it. This year it was by voting for their favorite Disney movie, using magnets and a big chart taped on to the garage door. It was very fun, especially when kids would try to put their favorite movies all the way to the top of the chart :3:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Really tired of this 'Its going to end civilization'.

No. Its not. Its not AI. This is not something that'll ever be capable of being self-ware. It doesn't even understand what it tells users. At best it will cause major damage because some executive or government moron will take it at its word.

AI as it exists is nothing more than a buzzword and marketing hype. Calling it an LLM or even a Chat Bot is more accurate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CommieGIR posted:

No. Its not. Its not AI. This is not something that'll ever be capable of being self-ware. It doesn't even understand what it tells users. At best it will cause major damage because some executive or government moron will take it at its word.

AI as it exists is nothing more than a buzzword and marketing hype. Calling it an LLM or even a Chat Bot is more accurate.

Good then get rid of now before they get better.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CBJSprague24 posted:

That's JunYER.

right, that's what my brain interprets written "junior" as, because that's how it's said and who it refers to. on topic - I am down for Butlerian Jihad

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Zamujasa posted:

Regulate it out of existence. You won't be able to get rid of it all, sure, but with things like "anything AI-generated is uncopyrightable" it'll become less palatable, and especially if any of the lawsuits currently investigating "hey your training data just slurped up a bunch of copyrighted poo poo illegally" pan out against AI it could change pretty quick.

jurisdictions exist in the world other than the US and EU, so even if you can convince legislators to cripple their domestic industry and hand an advantage to China or whomever, other places are still gonna develop that poo poo

you can't very well stop digital products at the border either (US states are sorta trying with TikTok, but going to fail spectacularly in the courts), as we learned during the 90s export crypto nonsense--you may stop domestic firms from exporting it as part of a complete system, but that just means they lose out on the sales after it's inevitably transferred to someone outside your jurisdiction who can build the code into their own hardware

such restrictions can work to slow down other parts of the world in developing, say, semiconductors, since those require immensely complicated and expensive physical facilities (and there's indeed an argument the US did so to hinder Chinese AI work), but the code/model portion is just copy/paste

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

Good then get rid of now before they get better.

But there's money to be made and venture capitalists to fleece!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CommieGIR posted:

The "going to end civilization" angle itself is just marketing hype

This tech is so powerful, it even scares me! This is professional grade software the pros don't want you to know about! Trust me, this AI stuff is too powerful for novices!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I wish people felt that strongly about taking action to limit environmental damage or far right violent wackjobs intent on spreading their poison.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CBJSprague24 posted:

That's JunYER.

Junker?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Zamujasa posted:

I have a bad startle response to sudden loud noises and it wasn't knocking or ringing the doorbell, they were basically pounding on it. I'm not kidding when I say the last one to "knock" sounded more like someone trying to punt our front door -- a loud enough bang that it made us both jump.

The fact that you even had to elaborate on unexpected noises like banging and explosions in a thread full of vets is the ridiculous part.

I know it varies by region, but when I lived in an apartment building long ago, the unspoken thing with the kids is they'd only knock on the unit doors that were decorated. (in general where I'm from, it's the combination of lights and decorations that signal to the kids that the house is a stopping place) For a while I just put a bowl on an endtable for the kids to help themselves from in order to spare the cats the disturbance of the door banging but that was basically two dozen kids who did the 'home circuit' in the building before they went into the greater neighborhoods to make out like little bandits, and there was always a pile of fullsized bars leftover.

Next year though, you should hit the hardware store and get a few pieces of 2" pvc pipe and some bends and couplers and make a little frame that you can fit up against the door on the inside to hang a heavy blanket on. It'll help dull the noises, and then disassemble and tuck out of the way until the next season.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Soylent Pudding posted:

This was the implication but some people need a big ole butthole worm to get the point I guess

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1719690773673750882?t=_68Eh-Q8H8-SzlLiSE_Y9A&s=19

This corrupt gently caress

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I can't decide if this took too long to come out or if it was a quick turn around.

I kind of assumed the guy was crooked, but wasn't sure how or when that information would come to light. Odds of a shutdown are looking good!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Soylent Pudding posted:

That seems like it would inhibit a variety of different R&D avenues in addition to adding a ton of burdensome regulation and cost to purchasing computer chips.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Eyes Have It posted:

I wish people felt that strongly about taking action to limit environmental damage or far right violent wackjobs intent on spreading their poison.

This. AI is sooooo dangerous but actual work on curbing greenhouse emissions? That sounds like work.

10th hottest summer in a row you say? Unusual you say? Maybe ChatGPT can solve this one, too!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

jurisdictions exist in the world other than the US and EU, so even if you can convince legislators to cripple their domestic industry and hand an advantage to China or whomever, other places are still gonna develop that poo poo

you can't very well stop digital products at the border either (US states are sorta trying with TikTok, but going to fail spectacularly in the courts), as we learned during the 90s export crypto nonsense--you may stop domestic firms from exporting it as part of a complete system, but that just means they lose out on the sales after it's inevitably transferred to someone outside your jurisdiction who can build the code into their own hardware

such restrictions can work to slow down other parts of the world in developing, say, semiconductors, since those require immensely complicated and expensive physical facilities (and there's indeed an argument the US did so to hinder Chinese AI work), but the code/model portion is just copy/paste

That’s a good point, I was thinking about the book The Box about shipping containers & how ports that failed to adapt didn’t mean the world was forced to stick with loading/unloading by hand, the modernized ports just became so much faster and cheaper all were forced to adapt or go out of business & before long the idea of operating a port without container cranes would be absurd.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

*shrug* What's going to happen to him about it? He's a republican. They don't even bother with strongly worded letters to file in the circular bin anymore. This guy could be as bought and paid for as Clarence Thomas is and the only thing that will ever, ever happen is a few seconds thought about how they can attack the democrats with the same talking point.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like the Osprey nearly claimed a press crew, just broke too soon:

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1719794357513961487?t=aWDYdVx39rPGWGplq8mU-Q&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Assets: deez nuts

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

facialimpediment posted:

Looks like the Osprey nearly claimed a press crew, just broke too soon:

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1719794357513961487?t=aWDYdVx39rPGWGplq8mU-Q&s=19

Lmao, we're just gonna put you on a different deathtrap if you don't mind. Oh don't like it? Well, you're free to leave at any time. If you'll just step into this osprey,

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Reposting from another thread

If this touches the military side of the biz, I wonder how many heads will roll.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEcTSj1He0

Aussie war criminal can't help himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
Post-Halloween chat:

Last year the apartment complex did a tick-or-treat event and I got to pass out candy. (I've rarely gotten trick-or-treaters). I had fun and I'm proud that I can buy expensive MARS brands for kids. So this year I bought 70$ worth of overpriced candy and low and behold no trick-or-treat event.

So I left out a bowl of candy last night, hoping some of the local basketball kids would take some. I few kids took some candy, but I've still got bags left that I want to get rid of, so I left out the candy bowl today around when the school busses drop off kids. Low and beyond the entire bowl was empty. So hopefully I can get rid of all this candy soon and not in my gut.