Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

US Berder Patrol posted:

The "going to end civilization" angle itself is just marketing hype

This tech is so powerful, it even scares me! This is professional grade software the pros don't want you to know about! Trust me, this AI stuff is too powerful for novices!

That part of it is hype, sure. The AI is not going to become self aware and wipe out humans or some nonsense, but there are still real effects it can have on society. Companies are probably going to use it as cover for implementing discriminatory practices (“we’re not racist, it’s just the algorithm says don’t rent to minorities”). They will also use AI as an excuse to remove human checks, so when the “AI” makes some goofy decision it will be longer and longer until a human realizes to pull the plug. Fast forward a few years and it’s not crazy that an automated road building project will build into a temporarily dry river bed or a bunch of traffic signals find themselves in a weird loop.

For most of us it probably just means more work. Same way that computers put a lot of secretaries out of work (because now you’re expected to also handle your documents, scheduling, etc) or web search (poorly) replaced a lot of dedicated researchers. ChatGPT type AI is probably going to be a basic office skill in a few years, and if you’re still creating documents or code by hand from scratch you will probably not be as productive as other people. But that again means less human eyes as a check on this work, meaning more edge case wackiness gets further along into processes before getting caught, if it ever gets caught before having a real world impact down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why is Ron DeSantis feuding with Disney?

Charlamagne the radio guy posted:

It’s not because of wokeness. It’s because you gotta be this tall to ride the magic teacups.

Politico: 3 Expert Shoemakers Say Ron DeSantis Is Probably Wearing Height Boosters

quote:

“I’ve dealt with these politicians many times,” says Zephan Parker, the bespoke bootmaker behind Houston’s popular Parker Boot Company, which, he says, has made height-increasing cowboy boots for a number of Texan politicians. (No, he won’t reveal any names.) “I’ve helped them with their lifts. [DeSantis] is wearing lifts; there’s no doubt.”

quote:

DeSantis’ campaign denies the allegation that he’s wearing lifts. On Monday, DeSantis told podcast host Patrick Bet-David that his boots are “just standard, off-the-rack Lucchese boots.” In an email to POLITICO Magazine, DeSantis’ press secretary, Bryan Griffin, writes, “Considering the fact that Politico Magazine admittedly spent money to consult ‘boot experts’ to run this hit piece on DeSantis tells you all you need to know about their ‘journalism.’ The governor doesn’t pad his boots, but if he ever needed anything to line a pet cage or fold up and wedge under a table leg, that would be the highest and best use for Politico Magazine.” (To be clear, POLITICO Magazine did not compensate any of the boot makers quoted in this story. Also, POLITICO Magazine does not appear in print. —Ed.)

quote:

Graham Ebner, an Austin-based cowboy bootmaker who trained at Texas Traditions — widely considered one of the country’s best bespoke cowboy bootmakers — also suspects the governor is wearing lifts. “Three things stick out to me,” he says, “the instep, the toe spring and where the ball of his foot is sitting in the boots.”

In shoemaking, the term “instep” refers to the area of your foot where shoelaces usually sit. Ebner notes that almost every photo of DeSantis shows an unusually high instep that angles nearly 60 degrees, pushing the leather outward and making it unusually taut. This high instep showed up when DeSantis campaigned at the Iowa State Fair, meeting voters mid-stride while wearing jeans and his campaign’s fishing shirt, as well as when he spoke to guests at the Family Leadership Summit over the summer. “Instead of the leather hugging the inside arch of his foot, as it should, it looks like his foot is being lifted up and stretching out the leather,” Ebner says.

The toe spring — a technical shoemaking term for how the toes curl up — is also much more pronounced than normal, says Ebner, suggesting to the bootmaker that DeSantis’ toes are too far back in the boot and there’s nothing inside to hold them down. The ball of the foot similarly appears oddly placed, he says. “In the photo of him sitting on the wooden stool, you can see where the ball of his foot is protruding on the right boot,” Ebner says. “It’s a good inch behind where it should be. It should not be in that position unless the heels were being lifted dramatically.”

quote:

Nicholas Templeman is a London-based shoemaker who worked for seven years as a lastmaker — someone who creates the wooden form that determines the shape of bespoke shoes — at John Lobb of St. James Street, the oldest continually operating bespoke shoe-making company in the world. Today, he has his own firm and serves as a judge for the World Championships of Shoemaking, an annual competition held in Europe. He notes that DeSantis’ boots have a very unusual wrinkle high up on the decorative tops (a shoemaker’s term for the boot’s shaft). “In London, a four-piece boot like this is called a half-Wellington,” Templeman explains. “On a half-Wellington, the vamp seam — the horizontal seam that sits near your ankle — curves up at the front because this is where your ankle bends. You wouldn’t make a boot so that the ankle bends at the tops, especially on a cowboy boot, because the decorative stitching makes this area weaker.” For Templeman, the bending in this area on DeSantis’ boots suggests that an interior wedge is lifting DeSantis’ heel up, causing his ankle to crease an area higher than designed. “If you put your foot into a regular pair of Western cowboy boots, that area is just going to be your shin, which doesn’t bend,” he says.

https://twitter.com/L3opardSpott3r/status/1718287155519168651

quote:

The million-dollar question: How high do these shoemakers suspect DeSantis’ lifts are? Each estimated them to be about 1.5” — high enough to make a difference in his appearance, so long as you don’t look too closely at his feet.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

it’s not crazy that an automated road building project

Yes, that is crazy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lmao, we're just gonna put you on a different deathtrap if you don't mind. Oh don't like it? Well, you're free to leave at any time. If you'll just step into this osprey,

I interviewed years ago for a data analyst position at Bell. When we got to the Osprey in the lobby, I made a joke about it not killing me when I rode it from ship to Djibouti. Needless to say I didn't get the position

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/new-hampshire-town-art-debate-1.7014430

"This story begins with a mural alluding to LGBTQ themes.

"That's when the uproar started," said Kerri Harrington, an acupuncturist and volunteer who helped organize the mural project.

The town's three-member council leans conservative. And one member is especially upset by what she's seeing.

Carrie Gendreau is a conservative Christian and Republican who also sits in the state legislature. She has said her policies are guided by biblical scripture, and recently told the Boston Globe: "Homosexuality is an abomination."

She complained about some of the art appearing in town, during a council meeting in August. She urged residents to do their own research into its symbols, such as the rainbow outside the Chinese restaurant and, in another local work, the sun depicted as an eye."

Such wonderful people

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Wow that's a small mural

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nick Soapdish posted:

I interviewed years ago for a data analyst position at Bell. When we got to the Osprey in the lobby, I made a joke about it not killing me when I rode it from ship to Djibouti. Needless to say I didn't get the position

lmao. And hell yeah, if they can't take a joke, fuckem

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Good news: Bobby Knight is dead

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Good news: Bobby Knight is dead

Today or Yesterday? That's rather important...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Xakura posted:

Yes, that is crazy.

"We used AI and machine learning to tell us the optimal places to build roads and fired a bunch of expensive geologists and systems researchers" or somesuch is a phrase I am certain we will hear in the near future. Actual software control over road-building machinery is still a pipe dream though, agreed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I use ChatGPT to help me kickstart scripts for stuff I don’t feel like learning in depth but are easy to verify so if Joseph Robinette bans it I’ll probably just use a VPN

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Soul Dentist posted:

Wow that's a small mural

You weren't kidding. Lady's got her panties in a twist over a painted window pane.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

pseudosavior posted:

You weren't kidding. Lady's got her panties in a twist over a painted window pane.

Also, this painting displayed in the park.

Apparently, according to her and some Christian author, the eye in the sun and the rainbow represents Ishtar who was released onto this earth after the Stone Wall riots and now plots to destroy Christianity.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mappo posted:

Also, this painting displayed in the park.

Apparently, according to her and some Christian author, the eye in the sun and the rainbow represents Ishtar who was released onto this earth after the Stone Wall riots and now plots to destroy Christianity.

....isn't Christianity entirely the wrong religion to have Ishtar involved?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
how tf do you even end up that terrified of like the mildest imaginable stuff

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
I don't know, I'm just quoting from the news article.

quote:

Gendreau elaborated to the Boston Globe that she follows the work of Jonathan Cahn — a doomsday prophet who says Donald Trump is the fulfilment of biblical prophecy.

While Gendreau did not respond to multiple interview requests, different people in Littleton told CBC News she has spoken to them enthusiastically about Cahn's work, which calls rainbows and eyeballs demonic symbols.

Cahn's writing is hardly standard Sunday school fare: to him, the Stonewall riots of 1969, which launched the modern gay-rights movement, opened the floodgates to another realm, allowing ancient pagan deities to spill back onto Earth, including the Mesopotamian goddess Ishtar, who is resentful at being marginalized for thousands of years and is now seeking vengeance against Christianity.

He pieces together odds and ends from ancient writings that refer to jewels and colours and concludes that the pride emblem, the rainbow, empowers Ishtar.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That part of it is hype, sure. The AI is not going to become self aware and wipe out humans or some nonsense, but there are still real effects it can have on society. Companies are probably going to use it as cover for implementing discriminatory practices (“we’re not racist, it’s just the algorithm says don’t rent to minorities”). They will also use AI as an excuse to remove human checks, so when the “AI” makes some goofy decision it will be longer and longer until a human realizes to pull the plug. Fast forward a few years and it’s not crazy that an automated road building project will build into a temporarily dry river bed or a bunch of traffic signals find themselves in a weird loop.

For most of us it probably just means more work. Same way that computers put a lot of secretaries out of work (because now you’re expected to also handle your documents, scheduling, etc) or web search (poorly) replaced a lot of dedicated researchers. ChatGPT type AI is probably going to be a basic office skill in a few years, and if you’re still creating documents or code by hand from scratch you will probably not be as productive as other people. But that again means less human eyes as a check on this work, meaning more edge case wackiness gets further along into processes before getting caught, if it ever gets caught before having a real world impact down the line.

Can’t wait for SHODAN to call me the n word.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Severe conspiracy brain meets persecution complex is my guess. Reminds me of this lady.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That's me sitting here in disbelief that "trunk or treating" is a thing??? I thought the moral panic of razor blades in candy and child snatchers on the streets was a late 80s early 90s thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ishtar owned and I wish her well and there's no way any deity could do a worse job than yahweh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ishtar owned and I wish her well and there's no way any deity could do a worse job than yahweh

I mean, think of all the gods that lost to Him.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://x.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1719871430165156128?s=20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arrath posted:

That's me sitting here in disbelief that "trunk or treating" is a thing??? I thought the moral panic of razor blades in candy and child snatchers on the streets was a late 80s early 90s thing.

nah the modern incarnation is mostly driven by homeowner paranoia about those kids from outside neighborhoods scoping them out for burglaries

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Arrath posted:

Well the best way to show up to a trunk or treat is in a windowless van with free candy spray painted on the side

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

TheWeedNumber posted:

Can’t wait for SHODAN to call me the n word.

Microsoft Tay but it has mining lasers and research facilities defacing the kupier belt with slurs, creating mutants that can only use hate speach.

Edward Diego is still an idiot techbro.

Edit: oh God I just realized where the ai would do it too, the " L-L-l-look at you hacker" speech.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 2, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1719863652491440480?t=5BiyxMXs8i8rHMBwUmu8sw&s=19

Thread here, but apparently Schumer decided to try and put the officers up for promotion that Tuberville was blocking up for individual votes, which Tuberville had said he wouldn't block... and he's still blocking them.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

shame on an IGA posted:

nah the modern incarnation is mostly driven by homeowner paranoia about those kids from outside neighborhoods scoping them out for burglaries

Them ANTIFA outside agitator kids

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

They canceled the Marine Corp Ball.
They are citing other reasons, but I'm of the theory it's to add pressure to Tuberville

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
how the gently caress can 1 person have the ability to block every promotion and not be the COB

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

COB?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

how the gently caress can 1 person have the ability to block every promotion and not be the COB

Don't know about "COB" - but that's the Senate. One Senator can hold a nominee just because that's the Senate rule. And removing the hold mechanism would remove a major lever of power for a Senator to get something out of the administration. Lots and lots of holds get pulled after an administration promises something to the holding senator.

The hold can get bypassed by a cloture vote, but it's a pain in the dick as that eats up floor time. These are almost always voice voted or bloc voted because cloture voting each nominee would basically eat up the whole year. Schumer obviously doesn't want that. And military holds were never a thing before Touchdown Tommy.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What does Tuberville want?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Quackles posted:

Abortion bullshit.

Because soldiers don't get to pick where they get deployed to, DoD policy is to give them paid leave and expenses to go out-of-state for abortions if they're stationed in a abortion-banning state. Touchdown Tommy thinks abortion is against the baby jesus and this policy is illegal, versus a DoD policy put in place because of the Dobbs decision. So he's holding every military nominee until DoD rescinds the policy, which they won't.

https://apnews.com/article/tuberville-military-holds-senate-officers-45c4230a8aee5222bf32b43823e29acc

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

someone who thinks they are king poo poo and can control everything but is really just a petty shitbird

the senior enlisted guy on a sub

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Quackles posted:

DoD to stop covering transportation expenses for procedures that are illegal in whatever dogshit state a servicemember is posted in.

Not like there's a recruiting crisis or anything

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mappo posted:

the rainbow represents Ishtar who was released onto this earth after the Stone Wall riots and now plots to destroy Christianity.

Yeah we’ve got Curomo, Olórin, Aiwendil, Alatar, and Pallando.

Or as most know them, Saruman the white, Gandalf the grey, Radagast the brown, and the blue wizards.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not wanting to force my wife to live in some shithole state that hates women was at least part of my decision to leave

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Abortion bullshit.

Because soldiers don't get to pick where they get deployed to, DoD policy is to give them paid leave and expenses to go out-of-state for abortions if they're stationed in a abortion-banning state. Touchdown Tommy thinks abortion is against the baby jesus and this policy is illegal, versus a DoD policy put in place because of the Dobbs decision. So he's holding every military nominee until DoD rescinds the policy, which they won't.

https://apnews.com/article/tuberville-military-holds-senate-officers-45c4230a8aee5222bf32b43823e29acc

I think that most of the people in this forum understand this, but rescinding the policy would be insanely bad for recruiting and retention in a military that already struggles with recruiting and retention.

Hundreds of people not getting promotions is bad, but it’s not a difficult decision for the Pentagon. Tuberville doesn’t have leverage. He’s just being a dick for personal political ambitions.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Tuberville's in the same camp as those who think recruitment shortfalls are because of the military being too 'woke'. Like there's some untapped mass of patriotic youth who would sign up to die for their country if only they would only stop holding poetry night at the MWR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

if only they would only stop holding poetry night at the MWR.

Look, if I wanted to listen to a veteran be sad I'd be alone with my thoughts. Bring back 50 cent pitcher night.