Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Quackles posted:

I'm just gonna assume this is Eliezer Yudkowsky's fault somehow.

I hate how so many of the Internet weirdos we used to laugh at a decade ago are all now in the mainstream. Dork enlightenment, AI cults, anti-vax, cryptocurrency bros, and all other kinds of proto-fash bullshit.

Though I guess we owe juggalos and furries an apology because those groups cleaned house much better than anyone else has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How? It's like the internet or social media, there are going to be all sorts of goofy downstream effects but the genie is out of the bottle.

Right now the biggest limiting factor in AI is the high end chips you need absolute shitloads of to run your models efficiently. A big part of the CHIPs act and other export restrictions to China is based on keeping them from accessing the hardware needed to operate equally powerful AI models. So one avenue of attack is to regulate the chips and look really close at anyone buying up large numbers of them.

Alternatively we could just start the Butlerian Jihad.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CommieGIR posted:

Sherman burning us out from beyond the grave!

Hail SS-64 Sherman, may his passage cleanse the earth.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Youngkin's entire brand is MAGA wrapped in the sweater vest of decorum. He could go full mask off but then he's just another DeSantis type with no means of distinguishing himself from the other brain wormed nutjobs.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Crab Dad posted:

How difficult is it to be proud of a country or culture you are from instead of the color of your skin?

Well if you're a white South African like Elon, very hard if you want to not be a racist shitheel.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Nephzinho posted:

He and Martha are tight, I bet they could come up with something great.

I just realized I want to live in the timeline where Edible Arrangements is owned by Martha and Snoop.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A.o.D. posted:

Let's not forget that in the Revolutionary and 1812 wars we invaded Canada with an eye to recruit/annex whatever we could.

I know the Canadians haven't forgotten.

When I was in Ottawa I found it amazing how much of 18th and 19th century Canadian history was centered around concerns about American invasions. The canal next to their Parliament building was built after the war of 1812 to provide water lines of communication from Montreal to Toronto in case during the next war the US forces in New England cut off the St Lawrence River.

At their war museum, starting in the French and Indian war exhibit I could faintly hear strains of Yankee Doodle playing somewhere in the distance. It kept getting louder until I finally got to the War of 1812 section where a lovely store quality intercom speaker was blasting low quality Yankee Doodle on repeat. I assume it was part of the exhibit to annoy us into hating America as much as the Canadians of the time did because by the time I left that section I was so irritated by the music I was ready to burn it all down to make it stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

bulletsponge13 posted:

American history according to public education-
-Pilgrims
-Indians get upset, intense debate over who lives where
-Revolution
-British come back for Part 2
-The Alamo