Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

jurisdictions exist in the world other than the US and EU, so even if you can convince legislators to cripple their domestic industry and hand an advantage to China or whomever, other places are still gonna develop that poo poo

you can't very well stop digital products at the border either (US states are sorta trying with TikTok, but going to fail spectacularly in the courts), as we learned during the 90s export crypto nonsense--you may stop domestic firms from exporting it as part of a complete system, but that just means they lose out on the sales after it's inevitably transferred to someone outside your jurisdiction who can build the code into their own hardware

such restrictions can work to slow down other parts of the world in developing, say, semiconductors, since those require immensely complicated and expensive physical facilities (and there's indeed an argument the US did so to hinder Chinese AI work), but the code/model portion is just copy/paste

That’s a good point, I was thinking about the book The Box about shipping containers & how ports that failed to adapt didn’t mean the world was forced to stick with loading/unloading by hand, the modernized ports just became so much faster and cheaper all were forced to adapt or go out of business & before long the idea of operating a port without container cranes would be absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mustang posted:

I can't imagine what the PNW must have been like 100 years ago. Was reading about how orcas used to be considered pests and shooting them was encouraged, with about 1/4 of the orcas captured through to the 1970s having bullet scars. Now they're people's favorite animal.

I was asking my grandparents about that era and it was interesting how no one cared about Redmond, Bellevue, or Kirkland as at the time they were sleepy lumber hamlets.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry has an excellent exhibit on orcas. As other posters have noted they are excellent at offing adorable animals.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BaconAndBullets posted:

Paywalled

When I hit Syria in fall of 2017, one of my Marine counterparts supporting the arty unit said that an entire battalion had shot themselves stupid doing charge 5 shots over multiple nights.

Non paywall link: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/05/...&smid=url-share

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Looks good, guessing jet fighters show up in second to last episode.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ded posted:

yeh. yeager got some 262 action doing that.

That owned when he was asked what happened when he first saw a jet plane & he responded that he shot it down.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Fox NFL post game show had the announcers in front of an Osprey, c’mon.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Whoa Biden’s granddaughter’s secret service opened fire on someone who was breaking into their SUV. Sounds more like a DC crime issue than a Clancy plot. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/13/secret-service-agents-naomi-biden-gunshots

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Wait so SS agents saw some people breaking into an unoccupied vehicle and they just opened fire on them???? WTF?

Would agree it would be too much if the SUV had been rear ended but if the agents see a group attacking the president’s granddaughter’s car fair assumption that it’s an assassination or kidnapping attempt and the guys are well armed so escalating is defensible. Like if someone sails too close to a nuclear sub in transit in puget sound & is ignoring warning shots, maybe their engine is jammed but sorry it’s a national security issue now.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

fknlo posted:

https://twitter.com/VivekGRamaswamy/status/1723743653816836377?s=20

Yeah my guy, absolutely nothing would break. How the gently caress do people take someone like this seriously?

I know it would be a less than ideal timeline but wondering how midterms would go for GOP after two years of every other social security payment being missed with no one answering the phone, multiple air crashes as controllers try to work 120 hour weeks, and bare store shelves along with export crops rotting in ports as customs tries to cope.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Why would they be mad, thats the goal and their base loves it.

I know many of them are unfixable but a substantial portion of their elderly base would look past ideology when power is shut off & debit cards don’t work at the grocery store.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Not like I live in a place where my vote actually matters on the national level, but goddamn I would have a really hard time voting for this rear end in a top hat.

I’m in WA so if my presidential vote mattered they’d be losing on a 1984 Mondale level.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That Works posted:

Upside is you get the have the legit joy of reading Calvin and Hobbes

It’s was interesting growing up ordering the new C&H books from the book fair each year, and one collection had author notes explaining his licensing fight with his syndicate & how much he refused to have crappy merchandise just for money, and decades later he’s stuck with it even though any minute he could pick up the phone with Disney & probably pocket nine figures.

In one of the great NHL Sega Genesis games you could make players so my five guys on the Ducks were named after the cartoon, except I couldn’t figure out how to make a goalie so I’d trade for the Chicago Blackhawks elite guy. So my powerhouse team consisted of Wildwing Flashblade, Mallory McMallard, and Ed Belfour.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hah, I had this same collection. Watterson really is too good for us.

Oh yeah was bummed when he retired but in retrospect gotta respect him for going out on top rather than accepting inferior output, amazing respect for his audience. Also glad he quietly lives his life popping up here and there but feels no need to embarrass himself by getting addicted to social media & trying to have hot takes on everything like Stephen King.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Legit wonder how good AI is getting at skunkworks and tech company research labs. Not trying to be :tinfoil: but feels like they are slow walking how powerful video/image/audio tools are publicly available, because of the obvious malicious potential, but it’s still wild what’s free. In FB chat they added AI generated stickers & as of this morning it still happily creates images of Zuckerberg & Mickey Mouse kissing.

As this stuff doesn’t have borders wonder how society will deal with anyone being able to use audio AI to make thousands of calls a minute pretending to be Amazon or your bank with enough personalized details to have a high success rate. Wonder if phone calls will just be unusable for any transactions.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I dunno I’m not an expert but feels like it would be trivially easy for someone to set up a program to scour high school and college alumni records, combine those with LinkedIn, then use AI audio to mimic old classmates who are now in a jam or have become financial advisors with great opportunities. Could easily have the voice have the appropriate age & accent, and make it more believable by playing the long game and contacting the person over a period of weeks rather than immediately demanding Best Buy gift cards. The AI could instantly generate whatever websites are needed as “proof,” and while smart goons would be immune the scale of the operation would be printing money.

Feels inevitable as that could be run out of a garage anywhere without needing an office park in India with highly visible call centers. Considering the ridiculously high quality romance scams that already exist that construct entire websites with fake crypto balances seems like this would be simple.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s been really amusing seeing all of the goons try to trash talk the AI/ML advances as simultaneously completely worthless and capable of eliminating all their jobs.

Deep fakes are a terrifying concept that we will see more and more of soon.

GPT can give you imprecise and incorrect information but it can also save you massive amounts of time on a wide variety of tasks

AI art is extremely impressive and nobody outside of forums posters actually cares when half a pinkie is missing, nor expects that to be a problem forever. The ability to imagine some ridiculous concept and see a computer spit out an image of it in a few seconds is incredible.

There’s an element of buzzwordiness and grift going on but the impacts of AI/ML applications hitting the mainstream are very real

100%, I’ve been having fun dinking around with an OpenAI account mostly for silly scenarios and whenever they upgrade the version the quality improvement is massive & it’s usually faster & cheaper. When having it write funny sitcom scenarios it gets better at recognizing shows & character relationships when Ross brings a gelatinous cube to Thanksgiving.

It’s frustrating seeing news articles where a foolish lawyer sent in an AI generated brief he didn’t proofread with made up cases & having it declared well clearly AI can’t replace this profession. That’s like saying missile command on the Atari screenshots won’t fool anyone, which is true but Battlefield exists.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

hypnophant posted:

This part was only true in Britain, and to a lesser extent the british empire. France and (West) Germany were both off food rationing by 1950, in large part thanks to the Marshall Plan. The 50s were the beginning of a long growth period for both Germany (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirtschaftswunder) and France (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trente_Glorieuses)

Wasn’t the situation in Britain that they were rationing but had enough, it was just boring drab food? I’m trying to recall if they also had the issue of using their Marshall Plan aid to pay down debt instead of retooling factories for the new era, putting them seriously behind continental manufacturing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lol was wondering why was still invited to that event but that’s excellent. Hope whoever has influence is leaning hard on sports to abandon Twitter, if the NFL left so much casual traffic would fade away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1730216602283454605?t=b_JDFw8vC4mfSOmy8R1ntQ&s=19

If he ever had it to begin with, he's completely lost the plot at this point.

I think with the GOP’s narrow majority he’s figured out he’s Supreme Court Justice Jr. that the GOP will not remove especially as his replacement would likely be a Democrat.