Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
From the previous month:

quote:

Huh. I'd thought the 'porch light on = we have candy, porch light off = no candy/not home' was more widespread.

There's not a lot you can do when you live in an apartment building and have no control over the light out front.

quote:

Trying to imagine what form of anxiety becomes crippling when children in costume ring the door bell, then really trying to imagine how the thought of putting a "NO TREATS" sign on the door is a good idea considering the desired outcome.

I have a bad startle response to sudden loud noises and it wasn't knocking or ringing the doorbell, they were basically pounding on it. I'm not kidding when I say the last one to "knock" sounded more like someone trying to punt our front door -- a loud enough bang that it made us both jump.

If we had a doorbell, or a way to actually see people approaching the door, it would have been less bad.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How? It's like the internet or social media, there are going to be all sorts of goofy downstream effects but the genie is out of the bottle.

Regulate it out of existence. You won't be able to get rid of it all, sure, but with things like "anything AI-generated is uncopyrightable" it'll become less palatable, and especially if any of the lawsuits currently investigating "hey your training data just slurped up a bunch of copyrighted poo poo illegally" pan out against AI it could change pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU