Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Zamujasa posted:

I have a bad startle response to sudden loud noises and it wasn't knocking or ringing the doorbell, they were basically pounding on it. I'm not kidding when I say the last one to "knock" sounded more like someone trying to punt our front door -- a loud enough bang that it made us both jump.

The fact that you even had to elaborate on unexpected noises like banging and explosions in a thread full of vets is the ridiculous part.

I know it varies by region, but when I lived in an apartment building long ago, the unspoken thing with the kids is they'd only knock on the unit doors that were decorated. (in general where I'm from, it's the combination of lights and decorations that signal to the kids that the house is a stopping place) For a while I just put a bowl on an endtable for the kids to help themselves from in order to spare the cats the disturbance of the door banging but that was basically two dozen kids who did the 'home circuit' in the building before they went into the greater neighborhoods to make out like little bandits, and there was always a pile of fullsized bars leftover.

Next year though, you should hit the hardware store and get a few pieces of 2" pvc pipe and some bends and couplers and make a little frame that you can fit up against the door on the inside to hang a heavy blanket on. It'll help dull the noises, and then disassemble and tuck out of the way until the next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Tiny Timbs posted:

capable of eliminating all their jobs.

No worries, Uncle Sam always needs someone to clean a latrine.