Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
how tf do you even end up that terrified of like the mildest imaginable stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

That's a bowl of grandma candy away from being an attempted murder.

particularly evil of them as hard candy fragments don't show up on x-rays

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah it's typically proximity to nest sites that makes them get hyper aggressive

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

You really know how to hurt a dude.

unit, masters, absolute

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Good investigative piece from NYT about cumulative effects of firing 10,000 or more artillery rounds on several units sent to Syria to combat ISIS and how most of them got completely hosed by the system because they had huge issues afterwards but had zero medical or service record that their issues could be formally connected to so they were instead viewed as lazy or troubled or unreliable. tldr is that cumulative exposure to blasts really fucks people up and unsurprisingly in retrospect exposure to many, many thousands does a horrifying amount of damage.

warning that it discusses multiple suicides and some genuinely horrific mental health struggles

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/05/us/us-army-marines-artillery-isis-pentagon.html

It's also kind of interesting just as a window into another part of the war against ISIS which was generally incredibly opaque in how it was conducted. In particular the latter part of it that was focused on mopping up ISIS and especially the efforts wrt removing ISIS from Raqqa was rapidly memory holed because it's basically in no one's interest to go around remembering that or digging into the details of precisely how it was accomplished.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 6, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
youngkin eating poo poo is a particular delight and additionally kinda funny because he'd been pointed at as a model for republicans to imitate after his success with the culture war poo poo he ran on

lowkey i think republicans are bleeding centrists votes to dems and are loving their own election chances in competitive areas as long as that goes on. conversely republicans ever actually pivoting back towards the center would get a ton of those people back voting r, but also there's pretty much zero meaningful republican push in that direction and the people who would've pushed for that keep announcing that they're not seeking re-election

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 8, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i'd be surprised if it is possible to run a brothel in nova without ending up with that as your clientele

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

On the other hand, deregulation of the airline industry has improved consumer choice and truly made air travel accessible to everyone with minimal impact to safety

we’re all gonna die

used to be you didn't even have the option of opening the windows

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

my read is that white pride is more clinging to some innate, if essentially meaningless quality in opposition to an other. one can claim membership in a nebulous community via visible characteristics that bind oneself to a larger whole that has no broader cohesion (in the sense that a nation does) but does share those arbitrary characteristics. those characteristics are not shared by those with generally worse social status, so you can attribute that status to their lack of that characteristic rather than, idk, more complicated socioeconomic forces in effect over the past hundred or so years, or the entirety of history, as far as your peanut brain is concerned

this is particularly meaningful if your life is otherwise poo poo: you can find "pride" in the fact that, if nothing else, you're part of the inherently better group. in less flowery language, losers desperately try to find something that demonstrates they're actually secretly a winner. for some people this is the superiority of their race, for others it's knowing "the truth" (conspiracy theories), others belief in the true faith (religious bigotry), etc.. humans are exceptional egotists, and exist in a very inequal world

I agree with this in spirit but I think this perspective particularly misses the point wrt actually understanding neo-nazi and white nationalist individuals and groups and its integration within the business/local/state/national power structure. Yeah they're losers but they're very often in powerful positions in the establishment power structure and if they were merely powerless assholes who just wanted to feel important it would be a huge improvement. It almost definitionally is not something that people are into because they have nothing and their lives are poo poo. Much of what is so damaging about it is that it specifically is people who are integrated into their communities, who have seemingly good lives*, who are in powerful positions and are able to use those to make things easier for their side and harder for everyone else. It's often people who are socially and/or economically on top who come from families that have been doing well for a long time. If anything a lot of it seems to come out of a worldview that recognizes someone will always be on the bottom and you really, really do not want that to be you. 'white pride' is functionally more of a shibboleth for the above than necessarily a literal statement, though sometimes it also is said literally, too.

how the actual groups recruit is another story, those definitely are going after people without much going for them and will take basically anyone that they think might be useful to them, which is basically just gangs 101, but those groups are really the tip of the iceberg wrt the greater problem of neonazis and white nationalists

* I deeply share the sentiment that no one going through life bigoted as gently caress is living a truly good life, but that is unfortunately an external perspective. There's a lot of really horrible people living entirely comfortable, seemingly happy lives. that said it's 20:1 no-chin dudes for every bigot district attorney or w/e

My Spirit Otter posted:

sorry i get defensive when i think people are calling me a racist because i tick all the boxes

• white
  • bald
  • beard
  • tattoos
  • angry

When I had to spend a bunch of time in north-eastern washington that was me until I had to grow my hair out until it got all curly and silly looking because it was literally soul crushing the amount of dudes who'd try to strike up conversations about weird racist grandpa poo poo

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 18, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the second stage also blew up

'second stage experienced rapid unscheduled disassembly' was the exact wording that they used lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The guy that created Calvin & Hobbes.

wasn't that martin luther?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
In addition to the cop stuff, she's got a real lack of charisma and to top it off, one of the most unfortunate nervous laughs I've ever seen. It's a rough combination for someone in the national political spotlight.

That said she works alright on Biden's ticket from the perspective of wanting to actually win elections because Biden's strength is pulling support from the center-right/right-leaning independents and her appeal is a lot more in that direction than to the left flank of the dems.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This is one of my biggest criticisms of Biden: during the 2020 election, there were all these quotes and stories from campaign staffers about how Biden would be a stable, technocratic, "don't rock the boat" president who would restore some sense of calm and stability to the White House while also raising up the next generation of Democratic candidates ahead of 2024. While he may have been the former, he sure as poo poo hasn't done the latter. Harris hardly conveys that she likes being vice president and doesn't have a public policy agenda or win that she can point to; Buttigieg seems like he's doing a decent job at his own secretariat role but he seems to be effectively marginalized in terms of being a potential national-level candidate. I've increasingly seen Biden as a self-centered egoist for seeking reelection to the highest office at 82 years old- an age when most people are talking about taking the car keys away from Dad- and he's done a drat good job of countering any opposition to him from would-be challengers. I know it's not 2016 anymore, but it still seems to me like Democratic strategists haven't learned to stop underestimating Trump when their own candidate is increasingly unpopular within his own party and has been battling low approval ratings for his entire presidency.

Buttigieg probably could stand to get a bit more spotlight wrt his long term prospects but doing a functional job and staying scandal free for an entire administration is a pretty big deal for someone who is clearly going for 'boring stable competent' as his political profile.

Kamala's camp has mostly been done in internally, though I'll note that the deluge of leaks about infighting largely stopped after 2021, though she still barely got a year out of the comms director she hired in the aftermath of that first 6 month period where her staff was spending half the day on the phone venting to reporters. idk if it is actually more functional now or if it just isn't leaking any more.

Newsom is currently trying his hand at being a rising dem star and lol man I can not shake the impression that he's a california dem desantis, though he at least has some charisma and is pretty good on camera in a way that desantis can only dream of. strikes me as someone more likely to be a VP, but his ambitions seem to be solidly above that.

I do wonder sometime how much dems are really hesitant about trying to anoint successors given how much of a complete failure that was with Hillary. After carpet bagging to NY and launching probably the most transparent effort ever to establish a base to springboard a presidential campaign off of (albeit the holiday parties the Clinton's held each year in NY were admittedly legendary), she spent about a decade jumping to the front of the line for various appointments. When you have a clear person lined up it discourages other good candidates from even bothering to try and the dems spent more than a decade setting up her eventual run and it not only didn't pay off it put trump in office.

Bored As gently caress posted:

We're so utterly hosed. We've got an octogenarian fascist and an octogenarian putz who no one is excited about who barely does anything to help anyone and whose accomplishments amount to "is doing ok supporting Ukraine" and "is trying to balance countering China while not alienating our greatest trading partner."

We're so hosed.

bold new US strategy: convince china's octogenarian's of the virtues of rule by octogenarians

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

wow the terrorists are camouflaging their missiles as teslas now