Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I would simply ban AI

How? It's like the internet or social media, there are going to be all sorts of goofy downstream effects but the genie is out of the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

US Berder Patrol posted:

The "going to end civilization" angle itself is just marketing hype

This tech is so powerful, it even scares me! This is professional grade software the pros don't want you to know about! Trust me, this AI stuff is too powerful for novices!

That part of it is hype, sure. The AI is not going to become self aware and wipe out humans or some nonsense, but there are still real effects it can have on society. Companies are probably going to use it as cover for implementing discriminatory practices (“we’re not racist, it’s just the algorithm says don’t rent to minorities”). They will also use AI as an excuse to remove human checks, so when the “AI” makes some goofy decision it will be longer and longer until a human realizes to pull the plug. Fast forward a few years and it’s not crazy that an automated road building project will build into a temporarily dry river bed or a bunch of traffic signals find themselves in a weird loop.

For most of us it probably just means more work. Same way that computers put a lot of secretaries out of work (because now you’re expected to also handle your documents, scheduling, etc) or web search (poorly) replaced a lot of dedicated researchers. ChatGPT type AI is probably going to be a basic office skill in a few years, and if you’re still creating documents or code by hand from scratch you will probably not be as productive as other people. But that again means less human eyes as a check on this work, meaning more edge case wackiness gets further along into processes before getting caught, if it ever gets caught before having a real world impact down the line.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Xakura posted:

Yes, that is crazy.

"We used AI and machine learning to tell us the optimal places to build roads and fired a bunch of expensive geologists and systems researchers" or somesuch is a phrase I am certain we will hear in the near future. Actual software control over road-building machinery is still a pipe dream though, agreed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Madurai posted:

Still paywalled.

https://archive.ph/6XqpR

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Steezo posted:

Well poo poo, that's waay too relatable, as someone who has fired more than 1,000 rounds in a week out of a USMC howitzer.

Being quoted on a paywall workaround link on the last post on a page isn't going to get this enough attention, in case anyone has suggestions here.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lowkey i think republicans are bleeding centrists votes to dems and are loving their own election chances in competitive areas as long as that goes on. conversely republicans ever actually pivoting back towards the center would get a ton of those people back voting r, but also there's pretty much zero meaningful republican push in that direction and the people who would've pushed for that keep announcing that they're not seeking re-election

It doesn't hurt that reliable republican voters are literally killing themselves with their refusal to wear masks or take a covid vaccine.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Platystemon posted:

It’s still in the hundreds per day, but that’s not really enough to move the electoral needle even if they were all of one party, and they are not.

A congressional district has about 710k people, turnout for midterms is like 30%, and there were 10 seats decided by less than 1% in 2022 - Boebert won by less than 600 votes for example. It’s marginal for sure but it’s a non-negligible impact even outside of strict party lines because of the outsize impact on older populations (which are in turn more heavily republican).

The excess deaths of the last few years aren’t going to change a presidential election (directly), but some smaller and local races could have gone in another direction.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arc Light posted:

He still needs to get his rear end beat in the boxing ring first

And unfortunately Zuckerberg tore his ACL.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

I haven't done it because I'm lazy and phone posting but I'd bet dollars to a doughnut his voting record supports the problem he's performatively yelling about for the cameras. He's a Republican, he wouldn't keep his seat if he fixed problems or made things better. He's not wrong about the problem he's talking about, I just have a while heaping spoonful of doubt he's done anything other than make the problem worse and then use it for a sound bite.

It is in fact the usual garbage:
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/browse?sponsor=412826

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MrMojok posted:

He’s also an anti-vaxxer. That plus all the other things in the tweet above, no wonder Musk thinks he’s awesome.

His politics are so inscrutable.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

I know people use AI in their jobs, but I haven't really yet got a good grasp on what exactly they use it for. It seems like the kind of thing you would offload stupid makework bullshit that might exist in a corporate environment but isn't actually key to operating a business. Using AI to do your accounting or provide legal analysis just seems like you're setting yourself up for failure. Same for medical applications or really any kind of work where being right is important.

That sort of clerical and compliance work isn’t trivial though. There’s nothing revolutionary here, how many secretaries did word processors and e-mail put out of work? This enables more complex processes or analysis which can create value, or just plain reduce the costs of documentation heavy services. There are probably a lot of project managers, medical transcribers and other such people that are going to need to learn a different, higher level skillset in the near future.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

The problem is the word processor didn't actually put secretaries out of work. There is still an important role in the office that a dedicated person can perform and improve upon, however as a cost saving measure companies have simply killed that position and just burdened their other staff with those tasks. Secretaries are now reserved as a status symbol in most corporate culture, even though any team of like 20+ people could really use one.

But it just plain wouldn't have been possible to make people do their own secretarial work without word processors (and e-mail, and electronic calendars, etc). Excel means you need fewer accountants per analyst, you get the idea. Large language models are probably going to do the same for meeting notes, data entry, you name it. None of these fundamentally change how a company runs or even necessarily produce better results than dedicated employees, but each turn of the crank means some combination of decreased costs and letting people more people focus on "higher level" work that can't just be automated away because it requires human input. My prediction, for whatever little it's worth, is that in 5-10 years a lot of office workers are going to need to know how to use "AI" tools in the same way they need Outlook and Google today just as a bare minimum to get in the door.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 20, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

here's the complaint

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.txnd.383454/gov.uscourts.txnd.383454.1.0_1.pdf

It's laughably thin and there's no reason whatsoever to be in NDTX.

Between TX district courts and stacked circuit courts this may be going to the supreme court.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

So it takes years to get through popular culture that no, it doesn’t actually work like that, (ICE) cars can’t explode from an impact unless there’s a bunch of aerosolized gasoline. And now with EVs, it does actually work like that. One day we are going to be getting questions from children why old movies were so unrealistic with cars staying unexploded after serious accidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fragrag posted:

Apparently the perpetrator is an Irish citizen who lived in Ireland for 20 years, and not an asylum seeker as claimed which makes this whole affair even more stupid

The nativists in the streets now wouldn't consider a third generation Algerian family as Irish. It's an ethnic distinction.

Sane type of people who see Obama as a foreigner despite being born in the US. The birth certificate was always (poor) cover for complaints about skin color.