Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1681430/

There's a Robocop game out - out of nowhere! Apparently a semi-open world Robocop game with a handful of intersecting systems designed to play as a sort of investigation + FPS + branching pseudo-imsim is out (that is my secondhand understanding) for preorders today and everyone tomorrow. It actually looks really good! Reliable sources indicate it is a fun indie game with the level of satire evinced by the Verhoeven movies/90s miniseries, which I am skeptical about, but would be very excited to see happen. Anyway I noticed there isn't a thread for it and decided to make a low effort one as I have preordered this game in support of the general concept of making AA games based on old franchises and trying to do something new with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Yeah, game's pretty good so far, a solid 7/10 (affectionate). Just got to the end of the demo section before taking a break to get back to AC6, but I"m definitely playing more.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The demo was really fun. I love that you can play Robocop as an insanely tedious and annoying pain in the rear end by just issuing citations and tickets during the quests lol.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I assume I should watch Robocop 1 (only saw it once, a decade ago) and Robocop 2 (never saw it) before hopping in right?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

I assume I should watch Robocop 1 (only saw it once, a decade ago) and Robocop 2 (never saw it) before hopping in right?

Yeah, since the devs themselves say the game's set between Robocop 2 and Robocop 3:The Bad One.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Narcissus1916 posted:

You can skip those and just go straight to 3.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

They’re both incredible but if you have the time and enjoy those I would also recommend the bizarre and surprisingly good 1994 TV show, which has some satire that almost equals Verhoeven’s in the first movie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop_(live_action_TV_series)

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Mordja posted:

You can skip those and just go straight to 3.

Monster!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Really no reason to play this game when James Pond Codename Robocod exists

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Really no reason to play this game when James Pond Codename Robocod exists

If you can shoot rapists in the dick then this game is GOTY.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If you can shoot rapists in the dick then this game is GOTY.

There even is a cheevo for shooting a mook in the dick.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Sold.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

The first pcb upgrade for the gun includes “increase the amount of gore from gunshots”, game of the year

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I played the demo and it ran like rear end. Heard the console version doesn't have any problems. You can destroy so much in the demo and you have unlimited ammo.

Narcissus1916 posted:

If you do want to watch Robocop, the first one is amazing and unfair to the sequels. The second one has a different director and doesn't hit like Vorhoeven did. Not Heroes of the Federation bad, but these villains are poo poo compared to Clarence's gang.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Scalding Coffee posted:

I played the demo and it ran like rear end. Heard the console version doesn't have any problems. You can destroy so much in the demo and you have unlimited ammo.

If you do want to watch Robocop, the first one is amazing and unfair to the sequels. The second one has a different director and doesn't hit like Vorhoeven did. Not Heroes of the Federation bad, but these villains are poo poo compared to Clarence's gang.

The second one is a pretty good movie but it's not nearly as acrimonious as the first, Verhoeven really, really hates suits with a passion and revels in depicting them as utter scum and then violently destroying them onscreen, and you can feel that heat like a motherfucker when you watch it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The Robocop 2 film has a few decent sparks of brilliance (such as its commentary on attempting to make a second Robocop anything in the first place) and remains generally entertaining to watch purely as an action movie, but does get increasingly muddled and rushed towards the big spectacle finish without exploring all the loose threads.

The third one was just super lame. They had really run out of ideas for where to take the titular character by then (and also neutered Frank Miller's admittedly crazy script in the process), so everything simply falls flat. Even as a dumb kid, I remembered more from reading Robocop 3-related articles in game magazines than any scenes from the movie itself.

It's part of why I'm glad that the creators of Rogue City seem to have their hearts in the right place for this project.

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 2, 2023

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

So, later in the game there's a fight in A Detroid Arms Expo where not only do they have Cain's Robocop 2 body on display but apparently, Robocop can pick up and throw a goddamned Naval Torpedo and it sets off the biggest loving explosion I've seen in the entire game.

And that is REALLY saying something, given the very high Explosions Per Second rate in some of the later fights, let me tell you!

E: The Cobra Assault Cannon is in the game. It's so loving good you guys, you can't even goddamned imagine.

You fight ED-209s at multiple points in the story which is usually a pretty challenging boss fight, but the Cobra knocks an entire third off their HP in one shot, on Extreme difficulty. They make you wait for it but it does not disappoint and is every bit as overpowered as in the movie.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 2, 2023

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Quicksilver6 posted:

So, later in the game there's a fight in A Detroid Arms Expo where not only do they have Cain's Robocop 2 body on display but apparently, Robocop can pick up and throw a goddamned Naval Torpedo and it sets off the biggest loving explosion I've seen in the entire game.

And that is REALLY saying something, given the very high Explosions Per Second rate in some of the later fights, let me tell you!

E: The Cobra Assault Cannon is in the game. It's so loving good you guys, you can't even goddamned imagine.

You fight ED-209s at multiple points in the story which is usually a pretty challenging boss fight, but the Cobra knocks an entire third off their HP in one shot, on Extreme difficulty. They make you wait for it but it does not disappoint and is every bit as overpowered as in the movie.

Hell yeah

I played for about an hour last night and had a lot of fun. It’s definitely AA but the mechanics are good, the graphics look great outside of cutscenes, shooting feels substantial, and the tone is so incredibly on the nose. I think it clicked for me when I did the very early, like ten minutes in side thing where you have to open a line for complaints and can ticket a man who named his dog Fire and keeps frightening his neighbors, and is happy to take the ticket because he’s just so drat proud of his dog, followed immediately by informing a woman her son is dead . Weirdly the closest thing I’d compare it to vibes wise in my short hour of gameplay is like a Robocop yakuza game

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The choice in the demo was either waiting for a few days by the book or saying you will look for the missing person. Guess that got changed.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
They should have animated ED-209 at a lower frame rate to achieve that stop motion look. Maybe that'll be a mod?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

The choice in the demo was either waiting for a few days by the book or saying you will look for the missing person. Guess that got changed.

Yeah he searches the little police database and gives her the bad news

Also for anyone concerned with performance when I first opened it it was choppy as gently caress and mouse movement was all messed up, but after installing the new nvidia drivers, turning on DLSS, and turning off motion blur it runs really well at 2k on high-ultra settings with my increasingly dated 3070. I suspect it scales pretty well

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
games dope so far. not far into it just go to the arcade I genuinly like how well this game captures the tone of the movies. the game so far reminds me of a much more fun version of The Darkness 1. lots of little world building side quests and poo poo, kinda janky but not bad. lots of dark humor but good character moments.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah tbh I really expected this to suck and thought I’d refund it but it’s been a pleasant surprise and a testament to the value of the mostly moribund genre of licensed AA games made by people who actually give a poo poo about the thing they’re licensing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Yeah tbh I really expected this to suck and thought I’d refund it but it’s been a pleasant surprise and a testament to the value of the mostly moribund genre of licensed AA games made by people who actually give a poo poo about the thing they’re licensing

i think most cheap lovely licensed games just end up on phones or soley digital now. i am genuinly pleased with this so far.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
drat, i loving love robocop. gonna buy this tonight.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Teyon knows their poo poo.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think most cheap lovely licensed games just end up on phones or soley digital now. i am genuinly pleased with this so far.

yeah the whole phenomenon seems to have died from the perspective of someone who plays games on PC, but you're probably right they're all just languishing on mobile game stores. I guess that's why I'm extra happy to see someone put in this much effort with a faithful depiction of an old piece of (extremely good) media instead of making it an idle game about robocop committing civil rights abuses without a whiff of irony or satire

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Frog Act posted:

yeah the whole phenomenon seems to have died from the perspective of someone who plays games on PC, but you're probably right they're all just languishing on mobile game stores. I guess that's why I'm extra happy to see someone put in this much effort with a faithful depiction of an old piece of (extremely good) media instead of making it an idle game about robocop committing civil rights abuses without a whiff of irony or satire

i mean robocop is the only good cop and he isnt even that bad from an 80s perspective in the game. like i only throwing warriors gangergoons through windows and into walls. and blowing them apart.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 2, 2023

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If I can’t run someone over and turn them to soup no buy.

Just kidding I’m gonna shoot everyone in the dick

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I really like how the only two movement speeds are "measured pace" and "slightly urgent measured pace". Makes you feel nice and weighty, but also gives it a pretty unique dynamic where you're encouraged to commit and keep pushing forwards and take people down quickly rather than just darting from cover to cover.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I should be able to use my dash outside of battle. And reload. Why it wasn't allowed in the demo is boggling.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

VolticSurge posted:

Aww poo poo I'm gonna have to buy this aren't I?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
100% "Fatal Farm" Dickshot-only Speedrun (no tool-assist)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

VolticSurge posted:

Got this within ten seconds of the shooting starting. Four hours in review from someone who ranks Robocop 1 pretty highly as both an action film and satire:

It’s definitely not a AAA game. There’s some ragdoll jank and general bugs and the investigation quests that you think might have multiple options or ways through tend to become very hand holdy and can feel like filler especially in the station. BUT the combat has a real weight to it bolstered by the sound design and playing as goddamn Robert Cop and I’m having a great time. It also does a respectable job with the universe and making it feel like you’re the reluctant face of the corpo Veerhoven dystopia of the good movies. There’s even a gun upgrade that solely creates more gore. Chefs kiss.

7/10, purchase when it’s like 30-40 bux unless you love our beefy boy Robert or are hard up for a new shootmans. Would love to see a sequel with a real budget that leaned more into immersive rpg elements in the open world.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Speaking of shooting mooks in the dick, there's the classic "Our Robocop Remake" scene 27 that takes it to absurd limits.

Obviously extremely :nws: due to dozens of prosthetic dicks, and dozens of dudes getting graphically shot in the dick.

https://archive.org/details/our-robocop-remake-scene-27-86014703

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Can I melt dudes in this?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, i love this game. i am surprised how loving well it nails the tone and the characters and alot of the side quests are either cool little character moments fleshing out characters or cool weird flavor missions in the best possible way. the shooting and gore and brutality is dope, the humor is very good and much more inline with the first movie then the second. it feels like the robocop 3 we should have gotten. also throwing dudes is loving fun.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 3, 2023

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Can I melt dudes in this?

No but by god can you cause a lot of blood with the “increase volume of visual gore effects” upgrade for the auto 9

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, i love this game. i am surprised how loving well it nails the tone and the characters and alot of the side quests are either cool little character moments fleshing out characters or cool weird flavor missions in the best possible way. the shooting and gore and brutality is dope, the humor is very good and much more inline with the first movie then the second. it feels like the robocop 3 we should have gotten. also throwing dudes is loving fun.
The little side quests are better than the main story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

The little side quests are better than the main story.

I like the main story so far. i can see where its going partly because of the trailers but i like the characters and poo poo enough that i dont mind and it does good set up for it. I like how realistically bleak the world is, like in world where american policing is actually super dangerous and they lose like 5 cops a week and you catch your partners having mental breakdowns and the current boss just doesnt give a gently caress because he is a corpo psychopath. again the world building style, small moment character moments, dichotomy between the small moments and the holy poo poo horror super poo poo very very very much reminds me of the darkness espically how some of the hub areas are set up. its also very much in a time and place and poo poo. i like how the wacky cyberpunk horror is mostly optional background compared to the more lowkey horror of the world.