Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It really feels like the story was created with the thesis of “make a good Robocop 3,” since several of the early game plot beats are straight out of it.

Anticipating my jet pack upgrade.

EDIT: oh also this game has just the right amount of action and jank that unless the movement speed is a huge barrier I think it has the potential to be torn to shreds by speedrunners in the most entertaining ways

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

weekly font posted:

It really feels like the story was created with the thesis of “make a good Robocop 3,” since several of the early game plot beats are straight out of it.

Anticipating my jet pack upgrade.

EDIT: oh also this game has just the right amount of action and jank that unless the movement speed is a huge barrier I think it has the potential to be torn to shreds by speedrunners in the most entertaining ways

Movement speed is fine. Its actually faster then i expected. but yeah this feels like robocop 3. just like how that ghostbusters game felt like a ghostbusters 3.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Spent another hour in the first hub, haven’t even gotten to the arcade yet and I’ve really fallen in love with the atmosphere and visual fidelity (outside of facial animations which are perfectly fine) and side quests. I increasingly feel Yakuza is a fair analogy for this, especially after the one where the guy who just loves doing laundry agrees to cooperate when RC mentions he can get a job in the prison laundry. The dialogue between him and the drug dealers about market principles before the player shows up also felt very much like something from RCG. I love Robocop and Yakuza so unless something changes drastically I think this game is gonna be a good time

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Anyone tried it in Steam Deck? It’s not verified, but I’ve seen some reports that it works.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I never saw Robocop the movie. Had a pretentious professor and classmate tell me that their "critique on class consciousness and corporatism was lazy and obvious".

Fuuuuck those guys. I'm in my thirties and just saw the movie. Holee loving poo poo that was awesome!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I never saw Robocop the movie. Had a pretentious professor and classmate tell me that their "critique on class consciousness and corporatism was lazy and obvious".

Fuuuuck those guys. I'm in my thirties and just saw the movie. Holee loving poo poo that was awesome!

Yeah Robocop wasn't ever trying to be anything but obvious in its satire. Your professor and classmate missed the point entirely, lmao.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
But does the game make you solve a sliding puzzle?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Frankston posted:

Yeah Robocop wasn't ever trying to be anything but obvious in its satire. Your professor and classmate missed the point entirely, lmao.

Paul Verhoeven's entire directing style can basically be summed up as him turning directly to the camera, and screaming as loud as he can "DID YOU GET THAT? WINK, WINK?"
Oddly enough, most people still don't get it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

yeah. i loving hate critics who think anything deep or beutiful has to be a deep sundance movie or etc. the movie is extreamly obvious about what its about as is starship troopers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Starship Troopers was a great movie, refreshing to have an actual pro-military film instead of your standard "war is hell" shtick. :rolleyes:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Robofellow

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Mordja posted:

Starship Troopers was a great movie, refreshing to have an actual pro-military film instead of your standard "war is hell" shtick. :rolleyes:

These drat navy pilots better not hit on my gal

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

This game loving rules. I don't think a better Robocop game could exist

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Pros:

-Dick shots
-Peter Weller voices Robo
-Gory as gently caress
-Fun as hell
-Hans Grueber is in the game
-You talk to a shrink between missions
-Final boss is dumb as poo poo in a good way

Cons:

-Writing kinda sucks
-Auto 9 sounds like poo poo
-No "I'd buy that for a dollar!" guy
-Rescuing hostages is loving hard
-Barely any music in the game
-It ends

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I finished this last night, really loved it, I will say I think the boss fights are the weakest aspect, I think it sort of comes from how Robocop is very static and slow so it's very hard to make a fun boss experience.

Stomping around the city hub with the side missions and shooting mooks in the dick brought me a lot of joy, I'm glad this sort of licensed game is coming back.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Smile, we won!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished this game. Took a while to get used to the movement and gunplay, but they managed to nail the atmosphere and art of the universe really well. Only thing that stood out oddly was the amount of 'effort' put into Samantha's model vs everyone else but Robocop.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

Pros:

-Dick shots
-Peter Weller voices Robo
-Gory as gently caress
-Fun as hell
-Hans Grueber is in the game
-You talk to a shrink between missions
-Final boss is dumb as poo poo in a good way

Cons:

-Writing kinda sucks
-Auto 9 sounds like poo poo
-No "I'd buy that for a dollar!" guy
-Rescuing hostages is loving hard
-Barely any music in the game
-It ends

i mostly agree with this. I think the writing is mostly solid/good or at least fits with the tone. i think the sidequests are better then the main quests. I will say I liked wendel as a villian, he comes off as some ultra smart super villian but he basicaly just really good at being a fixer and bullshiting people and then burning people he works for. I like that by the end, everyone hates him and the last mercs just walk away and kick the bridge out because his money didnt go through. I also liked that his grand plan was ill be king of some shanty town construction site with strippers and mercs and battle droids.

the only issue i had was the last boss fight, it wasnt out of no where. they set it up earlier in the game, but i kinda didnt like that they went with 1s depiction of the old man with none of depiction of 2. 2 isnt as great of a movie, but i like that 2 shows the old man as a manipulative sociopath and piece of poo poo, he is just smart enough not show it as often. but it was fine.

Stupid question, was wendell actually related to anyone in red formans gang or was that some dumb bullshit he made up. I lean toward the latter but was curious.

edit. Lol i guess he was supposedly the brother of the dude who gets turned into the mutant and gets smashed by the car. like he says it was a fake name so yeah lol. but i love the idea that dude has some pretentious brother who reads the prince and has gradious plans

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 5, 2023

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mostly agree with this. I think the writing is mostly solid/good or at least fits with the tone. i think the sidequests are better then the main quests. I will say I liked wendel as a villian, he comes off as some ultra smart super villian but he basicaly just really good at being a fixer and bullshiting people and then burning people he works for. I like that by the end, everyone hates him and the last mercs just walk away and kick the bridge out because his money didnt go through. I also liked that his grand plan was ill be king of some shanty town construction site with strippers and mercs and battle droids.

the only issue i had was the last boss fight, it wasnt out of no where. they set it up earlier in the game, but i kinda didnt like that they went with 1s depiction of the old man with none of depiction of 2. 2 isnt as great of a movie, but i like that 2 shows the old man as a manipulative sociopath and piece of poo poo, he is just smart enough not show it as often. but it was fine.

Stupid question, was wendell actually related to anyone in red formans gang or was that some dumb bullshit he made up. I lean toward the latter but was curious.

edit. Lol i guess he was supposedly the brother of the dude who gets turned into the mutant and gets smashed by the car. like he says it was a fake name so yeah lol. but i love the idea that dude has some pretentious brother who reads the prince and has gradious plans

Regarding the New Guy in Town.

I was highly disappointed how after subjecting Robo to all that poo poo and building up for a barn burner, the final showdown with Wendel turned out to be a massive wet fart in the form of a cutscene. I was so ready for a Red Dead Redemptionesque moment where the game goes into slow-mo and allows you to dispose of the bad guy as you please. It could've been the dickshot that actually meant something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

I was highly disappointed how after subjecting Robo to all that poo poo and building up for a barn burner, the final showdown with Wendel turned out to be a massive wet fart in the form of a cutscene. I was so ready for a Red Dead Redemptionesque moment where the game goes into slow-mo and allows you to dispose of the bad guy as you please. It could've been the dickshot that actually meant something.

i didnt hate that as much. hell i liked that he was just a weird fixer dork who plays at grand ambitions but at the end of the day is he fed some old man a bunch of bullshit to get money so he could turn a construction site into a strip club and then not pay anyone who worked with him to the point where they all turn on him. i like that at the end all he has is his ability to scream bullshit. wendel gets a wet fart of an end because he is wet fart of a person. i also love the idea that the old man bought all the bullshit and got prepped and the techs just didnt know what to do so they shoved his brain in the old cain bot. like i dont think the game has an amazing story but alot of the subverted moments work for me, like all the build up to some grand conspiracy and its just a lovely money sink project that never took off and most of the money was just taken by wendell

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Castor Poe posted:

I thought it was fine but I did keep expecting it to switch back to my control during the entire cutscene. I also got a little bored with the RoboPT sequences by the end.

Very sad there’s not a NG+ and I’m hoping someone figures out a max skills mod at some point so I can just go off on creeps for a run. I want the game to have replay value but I’m not sure how much is there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

weekly font posted:

I thought it was fine but I did keep expecting it to switch back to my control during the entire cutscene. I also got a little bored with the RoboPT sequences by the end.

Very sad there’s not a NG+ and I’m hoping someone figures out a max skills mod at some point so I can just go off on creeps for a run. I want the game to have replay value but I’m not sure how much is there.

I kinda figure they might add one it some patch, terminator got a ton of patches and a giant add on. i could see robo getting some love too.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I platinum’d this game (the trophies are easy and there’s only 28 of them). I liked it quite a bit!

Just a no nonsense good time shooter with very lite Deus Ex elements and a lot of love for the source material. You can tell they really wanted to make a Robocop game that did right. It succeeds in being fun and authentic.

I liken this a lot to the Ghostbusters game that received a remaster. It “feels” right and while nothing is groundbreaking about it and it’s obviously a budget title, it’s fun and does its job well for anyone who has fond memories of the franchise and wanted to step into a love letter for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

man nurse posted:

I platinum’d this game (the trophies are easy and there’s only 28 of them). I liked it quite a bit!

Just a no nonsense good time shooter with very lite Deus Ex elements and a lot of love for the source material. You can tell they really wanted to make a Robocop game that did right. It succeeds in being fun and authentic.

I liken this a lot to the Ghostbusters game that received a remaster. It “feels” right and while nothing is groundbreaking about it and it’s obviously a budget title, it’s fun and does its job well for anyone who has fond memories of the franchise and wanted to step into a love letter for it.

i feel like this was better then the ghostbusters game to a degree because That game felt really really padded out. this game for better or worse doesn't waste your time for the most part.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

See, now I actually want a Robocop 3 game, but with Teyon doing a rewrite and leaving out the pg13 garbage

It would be interesting to play, if only to wash the taste of how bad the 90’s dos game out of mouth was. You couldn't even shoot while driving for some reason!

Time change, graphics improve, but the essence of "Robocop guns down creeps" remains the same...

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 7, 2023

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm real curious to see what the sales numbers look like. Me and all my Elder Milennial friends are having a loving blast with this, and the game's gotten a ton of coverage on gaming websites and channels.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

Elder Milennial

No way, man! I'm gonna rock and roll forever!

Forever!

Forever.

Forever...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm real curious to see what the sales numbers look like. Me and all my Elder Milennial friends are having a loving blast with this, and the game's gotten a ton of coverage on gaming websites and channels.

I am guessing pretty good. weird different quality poo poo sells now and like sure cod will make more but it also got a loving 4 out of 10 while this is at least an 8. i hope it gets dlc and new game plus.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Legit thrilled to see that people are enjoying this. RoboCop is possibly my favourite film - did you know it's an almost perfectly symmetrical film? It is! - so it's good to hear that this game Gets It.

My one worry from the demo was that the voice acting felt really flat, like they'd gotten randos off the street to do it or like they'd got a professor or art history to play the main character, but drat if this thread hasn't made me want to give it a go!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

Legit thrilled to see that people are enjoying this. RoboCop is possibly my favourite film - did you know it's an almost perfectly symmetrical film? It is! - so it's good to hear that this game Gets It.

My one worry from the demo was that the voice acting felt really flat, like they'd gotten randos off the street to do it or like they'd got a professor or art history to play the main character, but drat if this thread hasn't made me want to give it a go!

lol. I met him at a comic con this year, waited in line for like 10 min(early in the day and much bigger stars there) and i just asked him some art questions since art history was my favorite college class and he seemed happy. still have the signed mini poster at my work desk. it was good poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 8, 2023

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I agree with the guy above. This is Robocop 3 with a wink and a nod.

Actually ties pretty well to both Robocop 1 and 2. Ties up a few plotlines in pretty definitive ways. Getting Weller both back on board, but also having him help with writing for Robo was a big boon.

Considering it's been industry rumor for quite awhile now that Weller backed out on Robocop 3 because he wasn't happy with the script he saw, the fact he came onboard for this and helped support it speaks pretty highly to it being the Robocop 3 frankly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I agree with the guy above. This is Robocop 3 with a wink and a nod.

Actually ties pretty well to both Robocop 1 and 2. Ties up a few plotlines in pretty definitive ways. Getting Weller both back on board, but also having him help with writing for Robo was a big boon.

Considering it's been industry rumor for quite awhile now that Weller backed out on Robocop 3 because he wasn't happy with the script he saw, the fact he came onboard for this and helped support it speaks pretty highly to it being the Robocop 3 frankly.

yeah, it very much feels like they took the stuff that worked in one and merged it with some of the stuff in two. it has more the quiet clever satire of 1 with the wacky poo poo religated to background stuff. i also like how some of the smaller twists are telegraphed in the game. like with wendell when he shoots the punk in his first scene. he basicaly screams "dont gently caress with the money" and plays himself like some uber high up rich big brain psycho in Deus ex suit. but you keep hearing from chatter and in cutscenes that he doesnt pay his men, first with the bikers who did all the corpse collection for him and poo poo and got annilated for it, and then the mercs who bust him out of prison and sorta invade a city for him. he never pays and just talks up various grand ideals that he makes up as he goes along. he doesnt have a plan, the dude was just a fixer to help with some bullshit eternal life scheme the old man wanted and they never got anywhere, so it just never takes off so he just builts a strip club in a construction sight and plans some droid poo poo but lol nope. the end mirrors his first apperence where the mercs tell him his check bounced and he can get hosed and then leave kicking the plank bridge out behind them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rookersh posted:

Weller didn't do RoboCop 3 because Orion Pictures was rapidly going bankrupt and wanted to shoot the movie immediately, and he was already fully booked for Naked Lunch with Cronenberg.

Orion wound up going bankrupt anyway, which is why RoboCop 3 didn't come out until 1993 despite being finished in early 1991.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

I hope we get a RoboCop: Prime Directive skin of that 4'5 tall rear end in a top hat who was too short for the Robo suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbS3u8FbW0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Timby posted:

Weller didn't do RoboCop 3 because Orion Pictures was rapidly going bankrupt and wanted to shoot the movie immediately, and he was already fully booked for Naked Lunch with Cronenberg.

Orion wound up going bankrupt anyway, which is why RoboCop 3 didn't come out until 1993 despite being finished in early 1991.

i also read somewhere he didnt care for the script. also killing lewis off was lovely since she is probably one of my favorite movie sidekicks.

Castor Poe posted:

I hope we get a RoboCop: Prime Directive skin of that 4'5 tall rear end in a top hat who was too short for the Robo suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbS3u8FbW0

i forgot how many live action shows robocop had. where any of them good?

also the cartoon is always fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4Sqn0eX_Q

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
The board that lets you shoot without reloading is very fun.

I also love that the walking sounds are in the game. Really makes the character feel heavy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Alpha Commando is a fever dream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5LM8NrREA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lobus posted:

The board that lets you shoot without reloading is very fun.

I also love that the walking sounds are in the game. Really makes the character feel heavy.

i love how the cartoons kinda miss the point of all of it so much so that it kinda wrap around to being something you would see on the ads in the movies.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Are there any nods to the 2014 film in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://nichegamer.com/nacon-sees-best-launch-ever-thanks-to-robocop-rogue-city/

quote:

Publisher Nacon has announced they’ve had their best launch ever in the form of RoboCop: Rogue City, which launched at the beginning of this month.

According to publisher, they’ve seen a player count of over 435,000 players over the past two weeks and 2.7 million active game sessions during this time frame.