Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm thankful for that time Silva clowned on Maia in Abu Dhabi (while making absolutely no attempts to finish the fight and getting Dana all salty-like) because the repeated "What is thiiis?" from Joe Rogan is still something I emulate whenever I'm in my car any any other participants in traffic do something dumb.

Beats getting angry at the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I was at his Leites fight. The crowd was hyped out of their minds after Shogun vs Chuck. Then Leites walked out to Welcome to the Jungle like Franklin before him, and I knew the fight was cursed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Who do you think was better in 03 04? Hell, it's really not until he started losing fights in 2010 that the UFC had a heavyweight champ he wouldn't have been heavily favored against (Cain). Don't get me wrong I agree that he certainly wasn't anywhere as good as some people would have you believe but it's not like there were any other, better heavyweights at the time. He beat Big Nog repeatedly, he beat Cro Cop, he beat Tim Sylvia and Arlovski (lol), he almost certainly would have beaten eg Couture or Lesnar.

Frank Mir. Genuinely. Mir is simultaneously a ridiculous person with many extremely funny losses and also the guy with one of the most insanely impressive resumes in the sport. 03-04 he's pre motorcycle accident and Fedor is getting outboxed by Fujita.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
but on what date did his insane wife threaten to cuck him and thus discover his SSJ trigger

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Boco_T posted:

im at the show, heres my thread of pics on twitter dot com

https://twitter.com/boco_t/status/1728193889256034736

Nice X post!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Mir brutalised Big Nog.

i remember exactly where i was when this happened. at this dead rear end dive bar that was about to be closed down in the beer garden. it was me and the tapout crowd who stopped bothering to go to the toilets to smoke crack because there was one staff member and he was at the bar inside. then that happened and holy poo poo that was a gnarly break. no weidman / andy, sure, but it was pretty loving bad. compounding that was the number of replays. it got so excessive even the literal crack smoking hicks were opining on how the replays were a bit much.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Marching Powder posted:

i remember exactly where i was when this happened. at this dead rear end dive bar that was about to be closed down in the beer garden. it was me and the tapout crowd who stopped bothering to go to the toilets to smoke crack because there was one staff member and he was at the bar inside. then that happened and holy poo poo that was a gnarly break. no weidman / andy, sure, but it was pretty loving bad. compounding that was the number of replays. it got so excessive even the literal crack smoking hicks were opining on how the replays were a bit much.

I remember the night of the fight because I was at Final Battle 2008. After the show we're walking to Grand Central and non chalantly check the results and are just stunned to see Big Nog lost.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DoombatINC posted:

that caught kick into sweep was so loving cool and smooth that my wife ran in from the other room because when i saw it i hollered like i hurt myself

Which fight was this?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Also, I dunno if this was scripted or whatever, but it was weird and gross
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/mma/article-12764965/Tom-Aspinall-nina-drama-fingered-ufc.html

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

kimbo305 posted:

Which fight was this?

It was the main event, first round - time stamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaoEfwnN3V0&t=14064s

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Beautiful

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

I distinctly remember the first one. I was watching it at a friend's house, a mobile home literally in the middle of a desolate frozen field. There was a Brazilian guy there who was going on about how cool Big Nog is and specifically about how Nog always gets hurt and comes back and it's cool every time and he's a hero etc. I think he bet hard on Nog, and his emotional rollercoaster through the series of knockdowns was something to behold. He did nothing but moan with his eyes in his hands and mutter in Portuguese through all of the replays and he didn't seem to recover at all until Rashad smoking Forrest distracted him.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

DoombatINC posted:

im not at all a kickboxing guy - how is that sweep viewed by judges? knockdown? an effective strike? nothing at all but cool points and a "sick sweep, dude"?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Neat, that's a pretty typical kick catch sweep in sanshou. It's all known in MT as well, just not used as often.

Eat This Glob posted:

im not at all a kickboxing guy - how is that sweep viewed by judges? knockdown? an effective strike? nothing at all but cool points and a "sick sweep, dude"?

In MT, which is judged over the whole fight, this would be a cleanly landed technique with significant effect (the fall). If repeated, would also demonstrate the appearance of dominance.

A lot of kickboxing rulesets don't allow throws. Ones that do equate them to strikes and not to knockdowns, which can be vague in non point value systems.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowman_McK posted:

Frank Mir. Genuinely. Mir is simultaneously a ridiculous person with many extremely funny losses and also the guy with one of the most insanely impressive resumes in the sport. 03-04 he's pre motorcycle accident and Fedor is getting outboxed by Fujita.

I guess it’s pretty hard to quantify the effect of the crash, but he had just been knocked out by Ian freeman, a hard hitting but mediocre journeyman, and when he came back got knocked out by Cruz, another journeyman and not even a knockout artist, and Brandon Vera, who was looking like hot poo poo but got beat up by Tim Sylvia and Werdum right after and never had another good win in his entire career. Could he have beaten Emelianenko? Absolutely, he wasn’t an invincible cyborg KGB assassin Bond villain, he was a flawed light heavyweight competing up a weight (honestly in the modern game he might be best off at middleweight) who mainly just hit hard and was better at integrating grappling and striking than his opponents because sambo already did that. Mir was a better pure grappler and bigger and stronger, but he was very vulnerable to being knocked out by any decent hitter (unless they were a kickboxer who couldn’t stop his grappling at all).

Thinking about this has just made me realize exactly how mediocre the heavyweights were at the time (and all times) even though that generation of light and heavyweights was what got me into the sport initially

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

kimbo305 posted:

In MT, which is judged over the whole fight, this would be a cleanly landed technique with significant effect (the fall). If repeated, would also demonstrate the appearance of dominance.

A lot of kickboxing rulesets don't allow throws. Ones that do equate them to strikes and not to knockdowns, which can be vague in non point value systems.

thanks kimbo!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

he wasn’t an invincible cyborg KGB assassin Bond villain, he was a flawed light heavyweight competing up a weight (honestly in the modern game he might be best off at middleweight) who mainly just hit hard and was better at integrating grappling and striking than his opponents because sambo already did that.

I'm not sure he could cut and diet down to 185 like Pereira did. He probably would be in the same spot as DC in terms of lhw size.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

I guess it’s pretty hard to quantify the effect of the crash, but he had just been knocked out by Ian freeman, a hard hitting but mediocre journeyman, and when he came back got knocked out by Cruz, another journeyman and not even a knockout artist, and Brandon Vera, who was looking like hot poo poo but got beat up by Tim Sylvia and Werdum right after and never had another good win in his entire career. Could he have beaten Emelianenko? Absolutely, he wasn’t an invincible cyborg KGB assassin Bond villain, he was a flawed light heavyweight competing up a weight (honestly in the modern game he might be best off at middleweight) who mainly just hit hard and was better at integrating grappling and striking than his opponents because sambo already did that. Mir was a better pure grappler and bigger and stronger, but he was very vulnerable to being knocked out by any decent hitter (unless they were a kickboxer who couldn’t stop his grappling at all).

Thinking about this has just made me realize exactly how mediocre the heavyweights were at the time (and all times) even though that generation of light and heavyweights was what got me into the sport initially

Well yeah, heavyweight is loving terrible all the way down and always has been. And so Fedor was absolutely capable of losing to Mir. Or Barnett. Or Rizzo. Or Rodriguez. Or Couture. Stipe, who is as good a heavyweight as we've had, also managed to get knocked out by loving Struve and spent a round getting knocked around by Del Rosario. Crocop, who's often held up as one of the two best wins Fedor ever got, got flattened by Kevin Randleman. They're all bad and anyone moderately competent at the time had a shot at beating him. loving Fugita nearly finished him. Fujta's other best win is Ken Shamrock beating him so hard he gave himself a heart attack

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Had a shot, but they didn't

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hendo beating Fedor was a feel good moment too

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i was watching the iowa/iowa state wrestling dual this afternoon and an ESPN guy noted that an ISU wrestler (my team) was a big fan of sean strickland because he wasn't ashamed to be american or whatever and i was reminded the ufc has a bona-fide nazi as their middleweight champ and felt really gross, so thanks for that casey swiderski, ESPN, and TKO.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I can't even imagine how badly Fedor would get handled by DC let alone Jones

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
People doing deep dives into everyone Fedor ducked, tried to duck or thought about ducking was always a highlight of these threads.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

People doing deep dives into everyone Fedor ducked, tried to duck or thought about ducking was always a highlight of these threads.

just like the deep dive fedor did into werdum

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speaking of trash human beings, saw a thing earlier that McGregor's whining at Dustin Poirier that he wants a 4th shot at him after getting KO'd twice in a row back in 21.

Poirier's response was great though, basically 'Sure, why not, I'll take the payday to slap around a guy who's allergic to calf kicks again.'

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The only win I can recall Conor actually getting back was Nate, and he spent most of that fight running away.

e: imagine not only having a wikipedia page, but having one with a "controversies" section, and said controversies section needing a sub-section just for "Miami Heat-related incidents"

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Wanna watch 4.5 hours about the ultimate fighter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx-vcLk-sX0

btw thats koscheck with a garden hose pouring it on leben fine art style

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
is “Let Me Bang Bro” considered its shark jump or was that when someone committed sexual assault through sushi

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

STONE COLD 64 posted:

just like the deep dive fedor did into werdum

I was at my dad's house on leave playing poker and watching a stream on a laptop. I was screaming "tap you fat russian gently caress" while they were just wanting me to check or bet. I was a bit tipsy.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

is “Let Me Bang Bro” considered its shark jump or was that when someone committed sexual assault through sushi

you can cum on your own sushi and piss in your own fruit salad. i thought this was america?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
An obscure one I really enjoyed was Marquardt/Maia. Not because I have anything against Maia, but it seemed like many people who should have known better thought Nate would have nothing for his jujutsu. That his striking and wrestling fundamentals were basically Royce Gracie 2.0 wasn't going to be a problem. The results were very predictable! And Maia's head briefly turning into a compass finding true north was just funny.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Halloween Jack posted:

An obscure one I really enjoyed was Marquardt/Maia. Not because I have anything against Maia, but it seemed like many people who should have known better thought Nate would have nothing for his jujutsu. That his striking and wrestling fundamentals were basically Royce Gracie 2.0 wasn't going to be a problem. The results were very predictable! And Maia's head briefly turning into a compass finding true north was just funny.

There was so much schaudenfreude in that result. I laugh my rear end off every time I think about it even though Maia in the longer run is one of my favourites both in-and-out of the cage, and Marquardt is the poster child for "don't read their posts."

The hype around K-1 Maia was amazing and amazingly stupid. All of the buzz was that undefeated Maia had been training with elite strikers and was adding top-level kickboxing to his game and was going to be Anderson Silva combined with Royce Gracie. Even the broadcast booth had been getting into it. And then Marquardt cracked the nut with "punch him in the head so hard he goes airborne."

I laughed for like ten minutes when it happened, partly because I was pro-Marquardt at the time. Really that loss may have actually improved Maia in the longer run.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

This was the fight my friends and I were most hyped about that summer. More than any of the main events, we talked about it so much and laughed about it so much after.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

If you ignore his out-of-cage personality Nate Marquardt actually did a fair amount of extremely tight poo poo. His finish of Wilson Gouveia is burned into my brain forever. The Maia finish, the TWood finish, knocking out Rousimar Palhares as he was complaining about how sweaty Nate's legs were

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

reeg posted:

If you ignore his out-of-cage personality Nate Marquardt actually did a fair amount of extremely tight poo poo. His finish of Wilson Gouveia is burned into my brain forever. The Maia finish, the TWood finish, knocking out Rousimar Palhares as he was complaining about how sweaty Nate's legs were

Yeah I loved him so much for all of that. Even late in his career when he was going on like 1-4 runs his wins would be cool, plus when he'd get outworked by someone like Yushin Okami or Tarrec Saffedine there'd be comedy in his frustration and inability to change the fight.

Too bad for all the steroids and the fact that he's a gigantic dickhead.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/BenTheBaneDavis/status/1728803341797392391?t=

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Marquardt is probably the worst fighter with the best highlight reel alongside James Irvin. Though Marquardt never gave us a loss quite as perfect as "nice leg kick...and he's out'"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Destro posted:

Wanna watch 4.5 hours about the ultimate fighter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx-vcLk-sX0

btw thats koscheck with a garden hose pouring it on leben fine art style
So far this absolutely does not need to be over four hours. Author has pacing issues.

E: and he’s got easily a 15min digression to be overly credulous of Jason Thacker.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 28, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shumagorath posted:

So far this absolutely does not need to be over four hours. Author has pacing issues.

E: and he’s got easily a 15min digression to be overly credulous of Jason Thacker.

it was originally three parts released over like a year. This is the supercut all-in-one version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Marquardt is probably the worst fighter with the best highlight reel alongside James Irvin.

Gotta be Cody McKenzie.