Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

can we rename the subforum this or can I get it on a gi patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

quote:

Benoît Saint-Denis understands that you have felt pangs of self-doubt about your appearance over the course of your life, and he wants to make sure you know that, to him, you are beautiful, because to him, every face is an equally perfect canvas to be Jackson Pollocked with blood and plasma.

Amazing write up as always, Carl, but this line is one of the finest composed by man.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

What makes this card really fantastic is that sometimes early finishes feel supremely unsatisfying, like we could have had a great fight that we didn't get to see. All of these fights felt like we got a complete fight and story that climaxed in a brutal finish.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

As awful as Masvidal is, he kind of fell into that push. He executed Till and Askren and then took Usman on like two days’ notice, and got a rematch because he took the fight on like two days’ notice. Then he fights Colby because who else is fighting in that division and a retirement fight with Burns. It wasn’t great but it all kind of made sense in the hosed up circumstances where it happened.

An undeserved last minute title shot does not make one deserve a full notice title shot after losing to make up for the last minute nature of the first one.

Edit:

Chris James 2 posted:

Here you go. 5 days ago

JFC there is no rock bottom, they’re perfectly happy to sink into the gooey magma core.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not even that, Dana has fully hit the point of petty business tyrant where the business just exists as personal entertainment. If they were trying to extract as much cash as possible they would be putting on way better fights

With the ESPN deal the quality of fights doesn’t matter nearly as much for short term profits.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ilmucche posted:

i wanted chael to win that because he talked himself into a title fight by playing a ridiculous heel then nearly went out and did the drat thing. in retrospect was he the catalyst for saying lovely right wing baiting bullshit to get a push?

Yes. He was a boring fighter who racism/xenophobia baited his way into a title shot and it was obvious even then. I was very happy when Anderson submitted him, it was both the funniest and the best outcome.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Chael thrived off the ambiguity of whether the poo poo he was spewing was only part of the character he was playing or not. It's different from Colby in magnitude not kind.

Saying racist stuff to make more money isn't better than saying racist stuff because you really believe it. The persona he was playing, while a heel, was as much American Hero as it was Braggadocios Villain. While I've mostly managed to tune him out in the intervening years, I'm not aware of him ever dropping kayfabe since becoming inactive to say that his statements were wrong, harmful, and intended to make him a villain.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

I feel like it's been a while since Rogan complained excessively about an early stoppage that wasn't early in any way.

The last ppv. When jiri was stopped after falling to his back when getting hammered during his recovery shot, before he said he was out in the interview.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Also quitting on the stool after going 'to the death' was pretty drat funny. Penn had some of the most annoying fans as well who viewed him as a shroedinger figure. He was a massive badass for going up in weight to fight Diaz or Rory, but also those losses didn' count because the other guy is too big.

FWIW I think that's true at least about his fight with Lyoto loving enormous by comparison Machida. Lyoto weighed in at 220, and it was somehow kind of competitive until Bloated BJ gassed.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm thankful for Yoel Romero stool-gating Tim Kennedy out of relevance.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tuned into ONE Friday for the first time live, it's a crazy war. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Somehow I'm a lot happier that Clay Guida is still fighting than I am that Tony Ferguson is, despite him having 14 more losses and fighting 5 more years.