Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/dana-white-vince-mcmahon-nixed-past-ufc-tv-deal-with-nbc

quote:

UFC CEO Dana White revealed that Vince McMahon nixed a past TV deal that would have seen the UFC head to NBC and USA Network.

Speaking on the Triggered podcast, White was asked about his relationship with McMahon -- a topic that has come up frequently with White in recent interviews.

White again spoke about how McMahon and the UFC had their battles in the past as McMahon saw everyone as competition and that "he was one of those guys who would loving stick it to me for whatever reason."

White then went into a specific detail he hadn't delved into before, saying that the UFC was on "the one-yard line" to sign a deal with NBC to air fights on both NBC and USA Network. However, at that point, the WWE head had the final say on whether another combat sports property could come onto USA's airwaves.

White said he and then-UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta flew out to Connecticut to meet with McMahon and get his signoff. After some small talk, they got to the point of their visit and McMahon sat back in his chair and said, "Yeah, I'm not going to do that."

When they asked why, White said that McMahon said, "Eh, I'm not that interested in it. I don't like the idea of you guys on USA Network."

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1720484434846347501

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

i am behind and playing catch up, but we had two fights in a row with a Royal and a Royle???

Yep. Coopar Royal from Australia and Ben Royle from the UK https://www.onefc.com/events/one-friday-fights-40/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but Is tearing your pec off a typical injury for a non enhanced athlete?

Sports in general, usually weightlifting, wrestling, football and gymnastics; roids help increase the risk of it in those, but it's not necessary/it can happen without it. Rare outside of sports https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/pectoralis-major-muscle-tear-overview

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

imagine if dana spent this much money and effort promoting Francis

Now this is too unrealistic

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

i'm one foot out and in. my enjoyment of the sport died with the oversaturation of the cards and a roster size only carl, lobmob, and like 5 other people on earth can wrangle.

i can't say the trump poo poo isn't absolutely abhorrent, but the ufc and it's fans have always been a piece of poo poo and the fighters run the gamut from joe son (gang rapist) to sage northcutt (bathes with his sister as christian adults under the supervision of his lunatic father. i assume.) have always been the worst. if anything the mainstreaming of it means there's more people not wearing tapoout shirts in the crowd.

that said i just had a loving ball watching 295.

the ufc has it's issues, but at the end of the day, i like to watch humans fighting. they do their thing i'll tune in whenever it's convenient.

Basically where I'm at

If I had to sum up current UFC in a sentence it'd be "they finally got big enough they can do whatever they want", and I don't know whether the peak of that is USADA's Gone So Conor Can Finally Fight Again At His Most Blatantly Roided Ever, or Jon Jones Gets His Own Heavyweight Belt Despite Injuries And Arrests While The Heavyweight Division Has Another Champ Who He'll Never Fight When He Returns. But. We're definitely at a peak right now

As long as stuff like 295 keeps happening I'll stay focusing on what's on-screen, but I'd be lying if I said the off-screen stuff isn't currently surreal enough I don't blame anyone for either not wanting to focus on UFC all because of it, or just wanting to focus on that specifically over any fight UFC could air

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 15, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kragger99 posted:

It happened Jan 3rd I think, with Power Slap starting Jan 18th, but I doubt slapping your wife would help much with promotion. He did apologize I guess (100% his PR person wrote it).

https://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/dana-white-slaps-wife-during-physical-altercation-on-new-years-eve-there-is-no-excuse/

e. If there's evidence is was to promote DWPS, please let me know, because that's... um.

Here you go. 5 days ago

Dana 5 days ago posted:

I'm coming off my New Years Eve incident [with the wife], uhhh the irony, and getting into Power Slap. And this thing is a loving juggernaut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All I know about this card is there's a fighter named Joker, and the co-main has a guy named Ferrari

I think I love ONE Friday Fights