Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nullifying your opponent with your ground game is effective offence even if it's not going to stop the fight and if a judge isn't scoring it as that, they're doing it wrong. The onus is on the fighter on the negative side of the situation to get back to a position where they can start being the aggressor. Same goes for making your opponent miss their punches. Holding someone in full mount is as close to making them fully useless as possible in MMA outside of finishing the fight, even if tissue paper would make it through unscathed.

It's boring as gently caress, don't get me wrong, but it's a valid approach to the match.

Which really goes back to a misunderstanding about the rules, scoring and general shitness of them. It's not a fight, it's a contest where you play to the rules to win and the rules are old, outdated, some of it devised for boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GTO posted:

Or you could move to Stockton / Pride rules where there is a heavy scoring bias in favour of 'trying to finish the fight'.

It would lead to more contentious decisions but also push fighters away from boring control game plans.

As long as the refs don't end up letting people take more punishment than necessary because of let em bang bro, (I know that wasn't really the case in Pride, but Pride isn't 2023 era combat sports) I wouldn't be against it at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the pretence of the UFC being part of a sport was much stronger in the pre-Conor days

he heralded the end

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

I think the fact this conversation is happening at all says everything you need to know. The basketball or baseball or soccer threads don’t have periodic group introspection sessions where they all ponder why it’s not the same anymore

Soccer/Football is definitely a different sport in 2023 than it was in 2000, in a similar way to the UFC, to be fair. It's increasingly money driven, Cristiano's transfer broke the seal on MONEY big time like Conor did in the UFC, the financial fair play rules don't work, small teams can't compete with even low medium sized teams, VAR is somehow incredibly broken and it's completely and utterly in the thrall of Saudi sports washing like most things nowadays. The same handful of teams win everything over and over and the ones that make any headway are bought out by Saudis.

It used to be a sport for poor people to go to, have camaraderie and build community. It's just about rinsing people now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

I don’t know why, but I have some irrational dislike of Aspinal. I don’t care for Pavlovian, or really any heavyweights that are at the top right now. It sucks for me. I want Francis to be blasting people into orbit again.

I say this as an english man, we're just inherently unlikeable.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fedor is only talked about with any sort of reverence in MMA communities because he's become that sort of mythical grandfather figure that is obviously the best because everyone says he's the best. A bit like saying Cobain was one of the greatest guitarists in history.
Saying anything to the contrary is showing that you don't know anything about the topic at hand because EVERYONE says it so it has to be right, right? There's maybe a two year window (05 & 06) where he was the best HW going... maybe.

Also, Fedor's loss to Kohsaka was legit, not an intentional elbow, block/evade better, the format demanded a winner. :shrug:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Additionally, it should be illegal to allow Arlovski to fight in 2024 (he's fighting in Jan)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Hendo beating Fedor was a feel good moment too

i'll never forget reading pages of sherdoggers ferociously arguing that it was an early stoppage and fedor was doing the patented "unconsciously slide his face against the canvas" defence and that he was about to reverse hendo into an armbar.

a buffet for someone who enjoys posts of people being incredibly wrong about things on the internet like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Somehow I'm a lot happier that Clay Guida is still fighting than I am that Tony Ferguson is, despite him having 14 more losses and fighting 5 more years.

Being Clay Guida, while dumb, is not inherently self destructive.

Being Tony Ferguson is to annihilate yourself in as many dumb ways as you can