Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

GTO posted:

Or you could move to Stockton / Pride rules where there is a heavy scoring bias in favour of 'trying to finish the fight'.

It would lead to more contentious decisions but also push fighters away from boring control game plans.

This is what is happening, in my observation. I'm not sure if it's a result of one of those backroom John McCarthy meetings or just the natural drifting priorities of bored judges, but in the last 18 months or so I've seen a lot of fights scored for the fighter on bottom because they threw more strikes. Not damaging strikes, even, just anything. Judges have been punishing fighters for having just-past-neutral positions (full guard, clinch against the cage) and spending their time maintaining that position instead of throwing strikes. I personally think that's dumb because it discredits the effort required to keep those positions. A future without the Fitches of the world winning their fights is no future at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

If you ignore his out-of-cage personality Nate Marquardt actually did a fair amount of extremely tight poo poo. His finish of Wilson Gouveia is burned into my brain forever. The Maia finish, the TWood finish, knocking out Rousimar Palhares as he was complaining about how sweaty Nate's legs were

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

If we're being honest with ourselves the bad fighter with the best highlight reel is Derrick Lewis, followed by a dozen other heavyweights

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

If you really think Black Beast is a worse fighter than Cody, you are not up in this ho.

no. it's a bidirectional spectrum