Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PFL champion are you most looking forward to seeing this month?
This poll is closed.
Olivier Aubin-Mercier 1 3.85%
Larissa Pacheco 4 15.38%
Sadibou Sy 1 3.85%
Lance Palmer 0 0%
Nicco Montano 1 3.85%
Alexander Shlemenko 2 7.69%
Bobby Southworth 3 11.54%
Hardcore Holly 14 53.85%
Total: 26 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Digital Jedi posted:

Cool spinning back fist earlier today
https://x.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1720787478804590775?s=20

Rizin doing Rizin things
https://x.com/pelunaton/status/1720856892149305420?s=20

Glory also has a card going on
https://x.com/GLORY_WS/status/1720863806790734100?s=20

Rizin main event! Love a good upkick KO into 30 unanswered punches from the back
https://x.com/Haduucken/status/1720869399551242264?s=20

the first three are all extremely cool but the fourth one is gone now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea looks like Rizin had them all strike down

Found one on tiktok, suggest to mute it since it's play some song
https://www.tiktok.com/@zero.to.0ne/video/7297759495931874568?_r=1&_t=8h87IQGn8uQ

Ref was asleep at the wheel lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think the fact this conversation is happening at all says everything you need to know. The basketball or baseball or soccer threads don’t have periodic group introspection sessions where they all ponder why it’s not the same anymore

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I guess to participate I still love watching mma and kickboxing but I haven’t paid for anything related in years and no longer have any knowledge of the deep bench fighters and stuff that I used to. The UFC as a “league” is so poorly promoted and presented doing anything but watching the fights themselves is misery

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Fedor is only talked about with any sort of reverence in MMA communities because he's become that sort of mythical grandfather figure that is obviously the best because everyone says he's the best. A bit like saying Cobain was one of the greatest guitarists in history.
Saying anything to the contrary is showing that you don't know anything about the topic at hand because EVERYONE says it so it has to be right, right? There's maybe a two year window (05 & 06) where he was the best HW going... maybe.

Also, Fedor's loss to Kohsaka was legit, not an intentional elbow, block/evade better, the format demanded a winner. :shrug:

Who do you think was better in 03 04? Hell, it's really not until he started losing fights in 2010 that the UFC had a heavyweight champ he wouldn't have been heavily favored against (Cain). Don't get me wrong I agree that he certainly wasn't anywhere as good as some people would have you believe but it's not like there were any other, better heavyweights at the time. He beat Big Nog repeatedly, he beat Cro Cop, he beat Tim Sylvia and Arlovski (lol), he almost certainly would have beaten eg Couture or Lesnar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowman_McK posted:

Frank Mir. Genuinely. Mir is simultaneously a ridiculous person with many extremely funny losses and also the guy with one of the most insanely impressive resumes in the sport. 03-04 he's pre motorcycle accident and Fedor is getting outboxed by Fujita.

I guess it’s pretty hard to quantify the effect of the crash, but he had just been knocked out by Ian freeman, a hard hitting but mediocre journeyman, and when he came back got knocked out by Cruz, another journeyman and not even a knockout artist, and Brandon Vera, who was looking like hot poo poo but got beat up by Tim Sylvia and Werdum right after and never had another good win in his entire career. Could he have beaten Emelianenko? Absolutely, he wasn’t an invincible cyborg KGB assassin Bond villain, he was a flawed light heavyweight competing up a weight (honestly in the modern game he might be best off at middleweight) who mainly just hit hard and was better at integrating grappling and striking than his opponents because sambo already did that. Mir was a better pure grappler and bigger and stronger, but he was very vulnerable to being knocked out by any decent hitter (unless they were a kickboxer who couldn’t stop his grappling at all).

Thinking about this has just made me realize exactly how mediocre the heavyweights were at the time (and all times) even though that generation of light and heavyweights was what got me into the sport initially