Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Office has been rolling out Windows 11. Most people seem unhappy but are also complaining about superficial items, commonly about the taskbar defaults.

Is Win11 good, bad, neutral? It seems fine to me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't do any computer stuff for work but I haven't had any problems with Windows 11, it boots up Steam and allows me to organize my 5tb folder of Christian music and videos

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Winblow$

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's fine just different. There's some bloat but that shouldn't be an issue with office computers.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

It's fine, op.
All their problems are superficial they are just mad outlook isn't pinned.

I reverted to windows 10 because as usual it takes forever for people to start supporting new windows for drivers and was causing issues on that front.

Also like windows 10 a bunch of basic rear end settings are super annoying to actually navigate to because they are afraid grandma might find them. (She will anyways)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's fine but the default poo poo makes it feel like they think you're a stupid baby who's never touched a computer before

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I can't find a simple way to make icons in taskbar small. Google search tells me maybe via RegEdit but I'm lazy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Reported

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

No. 6 posted:

I can't find a simple way to make icons in taskbar small. Google search tells me maybe via RegEdit but I'm lazy.

You can change interface/dpi scaling.
Otherwise you can do registry stuff.

E: or see if there's windows tweaker for win11 yet

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Shinjobi posted:

It's fine but the default poo poo makes it feel like they think you're a stupid baby who's never touched a computer before
I really hate this about every version of Windows since, XP? 2000? Whichever came last, I'm old, I don't remember things anymore. The simpler it gets, the harder it gets to actually fix poo poo, and it drives me insane.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

micro$haft

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The mods are going to be busy tonight.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Most Windows changes don't bother me. I didn't like Win 8 though.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Micro$oft

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got Windows ME on day 1, after waiting outside the store for it to open.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

A device I'm testing for work is using an ancient version of windows 10 and it feels like a trip down memory lane.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

11 is mostly fine. You want to take a look at the task bar settings to move the start button back to the left, and disable most of the things they added to it. Beyond that I doubt you'll notice if you just do office things; all the keyboard shortcuts are the same.

I've come to like the win+tab exposé-clone for switching windows, which is probably why I have no opinion on the most substantial complaint - you can no longer choose to have multiple windows from the same application show up as multiple task bar buttons.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LuckyCat posted:

I got Windows ME on day 1, after waiting outside the store for it to open.

Holy gently caress, lol

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

No. 6 posted:

Office has been rolling out Windows 11. Most people seem unhappy but are also complaining about superficial items, commonly about the taskbar defaults.

Is Win11 good, bad, neutral? It seems fine to me so far.
Mostly fine but they insist on making sure all the taskbar icons are icons ONLY (as opposed to the sophisticated computer toucher's preference of icons + titles) and I fuckin' hate that. You can't change it, the option doesn't exist. Supposedly they're adding that "feature" back in a future update because so many people whined but it's not here yet!!! :argh:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bossy lady posted:

A device I'm testing for work is using an ancient version of windows 10 and it feels like a trip down memory lane.

I still use a windows 7 machine daily - it does feel a bit old, but at the same time it's weird how little difference it makes. The Vista machine that runs the immunofluorescence microscope feels much clunkier, even if Vista and 7 were close relatives.

On the other hand it's familiar; I expect the release version of 10 would indeed feel strange now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Getting Windows 11 meant I had to give up ProTools Express and instead RENT the software from Avid. So that sucks.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Smugworth posted:

Winblow$69

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Mostly fine but they insist on making sure all the taskbar icons are icons ONLY (as opposed to the sophisticated computer toucher's preference of icons + titles) and I fuckin' hate that. You can't change it, the option doesn't exist. Supposedly they're adding that "feature" back in a future update because so many people whined but it's not here yet!!! :argh:

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
I use ExplorerPatcher https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

It undoes all of the lovely changes to the taskbar and some other things. Windows 11 is fine after these changes.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I have it on good word that Apple's accounting department uses Microsoft Excel.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Look man, I tried to download Linux, but it said I'd had sex too many times :agesilaus:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

it seems fine to me

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Sucks

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My laptop is apparently so ancient (5 years old) that it's not powerful enough to run windows 11.
I get windows update notifications, and it's like "oh man this piece of poo poo can't handle what W11's cooking."

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I upgraded my personal PC now too. I like the rounded windows.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just fork a kernel of Ubuntu on your custom built machine, sheesh.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah work just rolled out W11 this week. The IT team had some office hours this week to help people get it installed too. My Lenovo updated last night and I didn’t realize the update included W11. I was really peeved about it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Windows 11 convinced me to install Linux on my next computer.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

buglord posted:

Yeah work just rolled out W11 this week. The IT team had some office hours this week to help people get it installed too. My Lenovo updated last night and I didn’t realize the update included W11. I was really peeved about it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
'What if my general purpose OS was more like a phone?" -- Windows UX designers

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah I've been using Windows 11 computer since launch and it's fine if you change everything to the non-poo poo settings, especially now that the last big update added back some of the last missing taskbar features that were in every previous edition of windows since like Vista.

I used a computer with W11 that hadn't been changed from defaults and it was infuriating.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

pretty brave of them to name an operating system after 9/11, a national tragedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
everything new is terrible

I have under admin control 3 windows PCs and 2 Macs.

One mac and one PC are vanilla spec for general use and I keep them updated to always newest, current version everything and these machines I mostly torment guest users with and I hate the poo poo out of both of them.

The other two PCs are for my engineering work and are running win10. One PC is connected to my CNC mill and has to be stable. The other is my CAD workstation and it also has to be stable. I keep those two machines updated in terms of security patches but I've also laboriously configured a bunch of registry hacks to and set policies to delete and destroy unwanted invasive UI poo poo like popup ads and announcements and microsoft promotions and animated stuff crawling around the taskbar and start menu and random reboots I don't first approve. Also going by wireshark, I have managed to prevent telemetry data from leaking out of those machines. They're as silent on the network as they should be.

I can tolerate those two PCs. I absolutely never want them to be come infested with Win11 and all the new stuff.

My final machine is a Mac that runs the oldest compatible version of MacOS I can get away with, currently Catalina. I wept when I had to migrate to that because it meant losing access to my entire hoard of 32-bit plugins and mostly unique, irreplaceable old software. gently caress whoever made that decision.