Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm still on Windows 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I can tolerate those two PCs. I absolutely never want them to be come infested with Win11 and all the new stuff.

Yeah windows 11 scared me into Linux. I have a very low baseline expectation on how mobile apps on my phone behave. They all go through various rates of enshittification and make UI changes every quarter so someone can justify their job or try forcing me into x feature I purposely avoid.

When my desktop PC became another place for that to start happening, I bailed very quickly. Maybe saying “start” isn’t accurate, but god there’s just a parade of unsavory stuff now, like the search menu telling me something a chud senator is doing when I’m just trying to find the zip file I downloaded earlier.

The only, only thing I have to hand it to Microsoft since W10 is the dynamic Lock Screen backgrounds. I sometimes like seeing chipmunks or sea otters as a surprise :kiddo:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hey, did you know that they’re working on windows 12 and the goal seems to be replace the start menu with ai?
https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/microsoft-teased-windows-12-features-during-qualcomms-snapdragon-x-elite-event

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Dick Fontaine posted:

hey, did you know that they’re working on windows 12 and the goal seems to be replace the start menu with ai?
https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/microsoft-teased-windows-12-features-during-qualcomms-snapdragon-x-elite-event

no i didnt know that

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
microsoft has been extremely good and "generous" to small and non-profit developers by giving away all this poo poo for free but now every Microsoft product is slowly getting ads, Windows, VSCode, github, looks like they're trying to cash in

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pencilhands posted:

no i didnt know that

how does it make you feel, now that you know that?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
We are apparently just gonna wait until windows 12 comes out and then go to that lol

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Dick Fontaine posted:

how does it make you feel, now that you know that?

i dont care

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Dick Fontaine posted:

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Windows 11 is 90% rebadged Windows 10. Why are Windows users so deathly afraid of change?

Anyway, I daily drive Endeavour OS for work, so I don't deal with Windows shenanigans.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wish a computer could suck me off, now THAT would be a "Win"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Windows 11 is 90% rebadged Windows 10. Why are Windows users so deathly afraid of change?

Almost like computers are a tool that lets you do things quickly and when the basic functionality of the computer changes it has the potential to impede that, especially for users who do non-standard things who have options taken away from them by updates because the feature is no longer considered worth supporting. Just kidding, I framed this as a hypothetical scenario, but it's actually a reality that so many people have been burned by that they assume any time a software program updates it is not to make it better for them; and they are right most of the time.

I will flip the question: if 11 is 90% 10, then why should we upgrade? And of course the answer is that there's no practical reason to do so, which means that MS, Apple, etc. do this by gating functionality like directx on the new version to make the upgrade mandatory.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

everything new is terrible

I have under admin control 3 windows PCs and 2 Macs.

One mac and one PC are vanilla spec for general use and I keep them updated to always newest, current version everything and these machines I mostly torment guest users with and I hate the poo poo out of both of them.

The other two PCs are for my engineering work and are running win10. One PC is connected to my CNC mill and has to be stable. The other is my CAD workstation and it also has to be stable. I keep those two machines updated in terms of security patches but I've also laboriously configured a bunch of registry hacks to and set policies to delete and destroy unwanted invasive UI poo poo like popup ads and announcements and microsoft promotions and animated stuff crawling around the taskbar and start menu and random reboots I don't first approve. Also going by wireshark, I have managed to prevent telemetry data from leaking out of those machines. They're as silent on the network as they should be.

I can tolerate those two PCs. I absolutely never want them to be come infested with Win11 and all the new stuff.

My final machine is a Mac that runs the oldest compatible version of MacOS I can get away with, currently Catalina. I wept when I had to migrate to that because it meant losing access to my entire hoard of 32-bit plugins and mostly unique, irreplaceable old software. gently caress whoever made that decision.

I recommend to you Windows 10 LTSC: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/ltsc-what-is-it-and-when-should-it-be-used/ba-p/293181. Long term service client machines get security updates and basically nothing else, and don't come pre-bundled with all the poo poo that you would normally have to spend a lot of time and effort stripping out of your computer. I use it on my laptop and it's been great.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

I use ExplorerPatcher https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

It undoes all of the lovely changes to the taskbar and some other things. Windows 11 is fine after these changes.

Nice one, thanks.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

While windows 11 stinks in a lot of ways preferring windows 10 is something exclusive to those who have suffered blunt trauma imo

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You may be Microsoft but I'm micro hard :grin:

peachy...
Jan 15, 2020

~hey~
I'm glad I don't mainly use Windows any more

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Please don't switch to Chrome, I can browse the internet too! Look, here's the MSN site and some Trump news!"

- The Edge

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
All computer things = poo poo. If you use computers youre an rear end in a top hat

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
They're teaching kids to use computers in schools now and that's hosed up

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Icochet posted:

They're teaching kids to use computers in schools now and that's hosed up

Are they? That's a dumb waste of time.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The thing that annoyed me most about Win 11 was the right-click menu where you have to click twice to see all the options. Once I found a regfix to show the Win 10 style context menu it was much better.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Anyway, I daily drive Endeavour OS for work, so I don't deal with Windows shenanigans.

A lot of people remember the Windows 7 to Windows 8 auto upgrade which turned your PC interface from Windows to some godawful mobile interface

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I tried to install Win 11 on my like two year old laptop and it ran like absolute poo poo so I reverted to Win 10. Welp, that's my story.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My uncle works at Microsoft and he gave me the Cortana nude code

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Whooping Crabs posted:

A lot of people remember the Windows 7 to Windows 8 auto upgrade which turned your PC interface from Windows to some godawful mobile interface

windows 8 almost feels like an elaborate prank

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

No. 6 posted:

Office has been rolling out Windows 11. Most people seem unhappy but are also complaining about superficial items, commonly about the taskbar defaults.

Is Win11 good, bad, neutral? It seems fine to me so far.

Every windows since XP, maybe 7, seems worse to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
One thing windows seem to have been doing since windows 7 times is when you open file dialog, to save or open a file. You open the dialog window and start navigating to the folder you are looking for, then suddenly you jump back to the folder that was selected when the dialog window opened and have to start over. loving annoying.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ever since installing windows 11, opening file explorer freezes all windows UI stuff (start menu, right clicking desktop, etc) for about 5 seconds while it loads the sidebar on the left with the folder shortcuts to the downloads dir, etc.

very good OS, love that it freezes at some core level to load a list of 5 folders

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

ever since installing windows 11, opening file explorer freezes all windows UI stuff (start menu, right clicking desktop, etc) for about 5 seconds while it loads the sidebar on the left with the folder shortcuts to the downloads dir, etc.

very good OS, love that it freezes at some core level to load a list of 5 folders

i bet you this is because you have onenote or some cloud sync on

edit: or you have network drives mapped. for some reason both things cause the menu to load more slowly.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

GolfHole posted:

i bet you this is because you have onenote or some cloud sync on

edit: or you have network drives mapped. for some reason both things cause the menu to load more slowly.

no one drive, no network shares

i only use windows for gaming and discord/shitposting. barely have anything installed. not even the office apps.

e: also, it was an upgrade install from win10 which never had this problem

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm saving myself for Windows 12

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

The only, only thing I have to hand it to Microsoft since W10 is the dynamic Lock Screen backgrounds. I sometimes like seeing chipmunks or sea otters as a surprise :kiddo:

I like this too, they really need a “Make this your wallpaper” button on that screen

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My coworker had it upgraded and he had to do like triple the clicks to do basic file operations we do constantly. It's annoying the first time and then every time after that just feels like another wasted moment for no reason. I saw there's a fix though so I'll let him know if he hasn't already done it by now.

Slip
Jan 20, 2001
Install linux problem solved

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My computers have been vertical taskbar, small icons, always separated for over a decade so gently caress you windows 11.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Cyber terrorists used conputers to commit cyber 9/11... think about THAT every time you 'update' your 'operation system'!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

they should use the same naming convention they used for the xbox for their windows product

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

linux is really what you want, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
well the poo poo i'm product owner for (which in guess registers COM stuff in the registry when it installs?) worked fine in win10 22H2 but my boss tried installing it on win11 for shits and giggles and it turns out that when you try to launch our thing it just sits on some kind of on demand windows component install progress bar forever. :waycool: so that's a slow shitboat sailing my way whenever win10 goes out of support