Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

His Divine Shadow posted:

Every windows since XP, maybe 7, seems worse to me.

When I have to use Windows 10 I do everything I can to turn off all telemetry and "operating system as a service" bullshit, and then make it look as much like Windows XP as I can.

I get real real mad when I see people who install Windows 11 and leave the start menu in the center of the taskbar. Really mad! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Did Balmer do cocaine, or was it just fart huffing that got him that far?

I'm sure it was both

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

eh, it doesn't matter :nallears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress a task bar. Give me task rectangular prism. rotate it to other faces, one for work, one for making stuff, one for fun.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I use business/enterprise licensing for Windows so I don't get any of the weird ads and other bullshit you all are describing.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OGOwzGbnFw

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5Btc_OYdA

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Why does that sound like an AI-generated voice that still pronounces everything wrong? Blotware? Ga-nome?

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Does windows 11 still have the Hotdog Stand theme?

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

Star Frog posted:

No. Ironic, since Win11 is the wurst.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Khanstant posted:

You're the nerd using the cloud. I have a folder on my SSD where I put my stuff

Onedrive is kind of nice if you use multiple machines. It's arguably somewhere on the resilience/backup spectrum too, since you'll survive a drive failing and there's some sort of "previous versions" system if you delete or overwrite something.

Basically, far from perfect but you can get some utility out of it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Star Frog posted:

Is that the one that looks like Hulk Hogan rage-hosed a Sherwin Williams? Or was that another high-contrast red/yellow theme?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
The last good windows was 2000. A device manager on ntfs?? Sweet!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Little life lesson I learned long ago:

I had my little Windows 3.1 Kingdom. Everything organized nice and tight. No chaos, nothing out of place.

And then Windows 95 came along, and I was appalled. A kids OS!

I try and remember my sincere feelings of disgust with this new OS, as a little life lesson, learned long ago.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I always get the newest Windows version and leave updates turned on because I actually love to have all the stuff I use my computer for randomly break forever, so Microsoft can make everything pop up more obtrusive ads about the stuff they would prefer I used my computer for instead. it gives me a little hardon to get findommed by a bonzi buddy.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 3, 2023

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

I use ExplorerPatcher https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

It undoes all of the lovely changes to the taskbar and some other things. Windows 11 is fine after these changes.

ExplorerPatcher is good, even if you just use it to get rid of the new start menu. But old taskbar is good too.

Got a 2-in-1 laptop thing for my partner recently. It came with 11 preinstalled and so we downgraded it to 10, but then the touchpad and touchscreen would not work. Try Linux and everything except sound works (turns out this is caused by a firmware issue and actually impacts Windows too before an update. thanks Asus!). Try Win11 and everything works perfectly, even more so with Patcher.

It's hilarious because it doesn't actually add anything new to the OS. All those UI elements are still there, just disabled. Which does probably mean it'll stop working some day but I use Arch so that won't impact me :smuggo:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Bula Vinaka posted:

and then make it look as much like Windows XP as I can.

This is my desktop right now because lmao

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hot dog stand was the zenith of windows themes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Hot dog stand was the zenith of windows themes

Now this is what I'm talking about!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

We are a tremendously lucky civilisation. To be alive today is a miracle, truly. We are gifted with the cutest of dogs, the laughter of children who will forever live in safety and comfort, the beauty of nature, the hot dog stand theme for Windows... We do not deserve this blessed Earth.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Nobody Interesting posted:

ExplorerPatcher is good, even if you just use it to get rid of the new start menu. But old taskbar is good too.

Got a 2-in-1 laptop thing for my partner recently. It came with 11 preinstalled and so we downgraded it to 10, but then the touchpad and touchscreen would not work. Try Linux and everything except sound works (turns out this is caused by a firmware issue and actually impacts Windows too before an update. thanks Asus!). Try Win11 and everything works perfectly, even more so with Patcher.

It's hilarious because it doesn't actually add anything new to the OS. All those UI elements are still there, just disabled. Which does probably mean it'll stop working some day but I use Arch so that won't impact me :smuggo:

my favorite thing that it does is turn square corners back on

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So what Linux distro do people recommend these days?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It feels legitimately magical to fire up an old program from before the bad days, it's so fast, responsive, they're not demanding a monthly subscription to rotate a document lmao,

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

sebmojo posted:

It feels legitimately magical to fire up an old program from before the bad days, it's so fast, responsive, they're not demanding a monthly subscription to rotate a document lmao,

And they're only a few megabytes instead of bloated monstrosities that take up a significant percentage of storage and RAM space and heat the CPU hotter than an oven.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if it doesnt have 12 transparent irc windows with cpu/memory/temp realtime monitor + a sweet winamp skin = sux

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think my PC starts up faster than discord does. I don't know why mirc-ventrillo thinks they need to build Facebook games into the thing

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

Arch

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I work with one older dude who refuses to use Windows so digs out our teams' MacBook and then spends 2 hours complaining about how he can't get anything done on it before disappearing for two hours. He works two days a week. One time he came in and just slept all day. He's great.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just LMAO if your office rig isn't running 1992 Linux off of a raspberry pi taped to the moonshine still under the server room floor

Management don't know poo poo

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

HorseMorsel posted:

My PC is on Windows 11. My laptop is on Windows 10. I honestly could not tell you a single difference between them.

A laptop has a built in keyboard and screen and can fold closed for portability. Hth

Also run sfc /scannow and if that doesn't help, reinstall windows.

If this answer was useful to you please mark it as solution.

Independent Advisor
Windows MVP
Microsoft Insiders MVP

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Fedora KDE is good.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

well the poo poo i'm product owner for (which in guess registers COM stuff in the registry when it installs?) worked fine in win10 22H2 but my boss tried installing it on win11 for shits and giggles and it turns out that when you try to launch our thing it just sits on some kind of on demand windows component install progress bar forever. :waycool: so that's a slow shitboat sailing my way whenever win10 goes out of support

lol owned

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

This almost always comes down to "Ubuntu based for n00bs, [insert personal favorite distro] for power users."

And who am I to disagree. Personally, I had issues with PoP OS and Manjaro. I have had great success with Endeavour OS, which is Arch based, with the caveat that it may not like legacy NVIDIA cards very much; if you put it on an older desktop with one like I did, you'll want to install LTS version instead. Still, it's been my main work OS for over a year and has been exactly as "stable" as Windows 11 on my work laptop has been, so take that for what you will.
Also, the Budgie desktop is quite nice, I recommend it.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 11, 2023

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The computer we use to pump propane is running on Windows Millennium

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!

Geemer posted:

A laptop has a built in keyboard and screen and can fold closed for portability. Hth

Also run sfc /scannow and if that doesn't help, reinstall windows.

If this answer was useful to you please mark it as solution.

Independent Advisor
Windows MVP
Microsoft Insiders MVP

Oh man, why'd you have to hurt me with that?

Worst part is trying to find a solution to a novel and unique problem, finding a person with the exact problem on their support site, but this is the "resolution."

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

This person gets it

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I run Debian on a VM because it has old school credentials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodDamnArtist
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.
I run some serious hardware / software tests and I need to disable the security and update settings on the latest version of Windows. Win 7 was easy and excellent. Win 8 sucked balls. Win 8.1 was better than 8 but worse than 7. Win 10 was cool but slowly started adding ads- sorry, notifications, and now Win 11 is just fully of fluffy poo poo that just slows the systems down and gobbles up more and more system resources. Oh, and it constantly re-enables all the security and update options when I don't loving want it. Thanks, Microsoft! The enshitification continues!