Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

GodDamnArtist posted:

I run some serious hardware / software tests and I need to disable the security and update settings on the latest version of Windows. Win 7 was easy and excellent. Win 8 sucked balls. Win 8.1 was better than 8 but worse than 7. Win 10 was cool but slowly started adding ads- sorry, notifications, and now Win 11 is just fully of fluffy poo poo that just slows the systems down and gobbles up more and more system resources. Oh, and it constantly re-enables all the security and update options when I don't loving want it. Thanks, Microsoft! The enshitification continues!

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

GodDamnArtist posted:

Oh, and it constantly re-enables all the security and update options when I don't loving want it. Thanks, Microsoft! The enshitification continues!

Does Windows Sandbox work for you? I think that's their justification for resetting poo poo, "cos you can just use Sandbox"

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Windows 11 does this fun thing where if you have file explorer open, it will just randomly cause the most recent file window to just pop up for no discernible reason.

It appears to be a known issue, and nobody appears to be fixing it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mr.Acula posted:

The computer we use to pump propane is running on Windows Millennium

_________________________/\__________________________________________

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Windows.XP.Pro.Corporate.Final-DEVILS0WN

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I turned on facial recognition login at work and holy poo poo I'm never going back, it's so good

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

sebmojo posted:

I turned on facial recognition login at work and holy poo poo I'm never going back, it's so good

yeah ill have to agree. i finally started using it last year and its good. i like to imagine all the windows employees admiring my beautiful face too.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

Bula Vinaka posted:

Windows.XP.Pro.Corporate.Final-DEVILS0WN

i still have the volume license key for this memorized

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Prediction: no one is going to use windows 11 unless forced to by work or a new laptop.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't beat the first 10 windows yet

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Prettz posted:

Prediction: no one is going to use windows 11 unless forced to by work or a new laptop.

This will be why Win12 comes as a standard Win10 security update.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Prettz posted:

I installed Windows 11 the day it released because the alternative was working.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

sebmojo posted:

Have you tried to see if a selfie on your phone screen will unlock your computer?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

Have you tried to see if a selfie on your phone screen will unlock your computer?

I think it does a check, but I'll try

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

if it does then one of my lazy coworkers really did not deserve that loving promo two years ago

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I'm actually pretty interested to see how it parses that kind of thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does it work if you're in a face/off scenario or have a Mission Impossible mask?

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

sebmojo posted:

or a printout of your face; that worked on apple stuff for a while

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tried on my phone and it didn't work

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Tried on my phone and it didn't work

you need a better phone

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gentoo

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zeniel posted:

Windows 11 does this fun thing where if you have file explorer open, it will just randomly cause the most recent file window to just pop up for no discernible reason.

It appears to be a known issue, and nobody appears to be fixing it.

Holy poo poo this is windows 11 that caused this? I thought it was some old piece of incompatible software I installed. Goddamn that is sad lol

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Konar posted:

Holy poo poo this is windows 11 that caused this? I thought it was some old piece of incompatible software I installed. Goddamn that is sad lol

I think its some kind of combo of windows 11, having an nvidea graphics card and possibly some other program. But yeah, apparently its been known about for a while and well i havent seen anyone fix it.

Also notepad now just saves every single tab you open in it. So when you open notepad itll open the application itll load like five tabs, possibly all of the same .txt file. Its annoying as hell and dont understand whats up with that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I got kicked out of a Carl's jr when windows 11 opened up my last bangbros tab

They slapped the fish delight out of my hand

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

I got the copilot ai appear on my taskbar and asked it what it can do and it explicitly said it will write essays so I said 'isn't that unethical?' It went 'UUHHH I MEANT I CAN HELP WITH IDEAS AND EDITING...' Also windows 11 is fine. It uses the same kernel version as 10 so idgaf. It has hosed up my displays and default main does not seem to matter tho

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Zeniel posted:

Also notepad now just saves every single tab you open in it. So when you open notepad itll open the application itll load like five tabs, possibly all of the same .txt file. Its annoying as hell and dont understand whats up with that.

Notepad++ has been around for how long and they haven't been able to make a decent copy yet?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

R.L. Stine posted:

Also windows 11 is fine. It uses the same kernel version as 10 so idgaf.
that's a good reason to install a new operating system

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

GodDamnArtist posted:

I run some serious hardware / software tests and I need to disable the security and update settings on the latest version of Windows. Win 7 was easy and excellent. Win 8 sucked balls. Win 8.1 was better than 8 but worse than 7. Win 10 was cool but slowly started adding ads- sorry, notifications, and now Win 11 is just fully of fluffy poo poo that just slows the systems down and gobbles up more and more system resources. Oh, and it constantly re-enables all the security and update options when I don't loving want it. Thanks, Microsoft! The enshitification continues!

embrace, extend, enshittify

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Prettz posted:

that's a good reason to install a new operating system

yeah anything you don't want you can disable in regedit and gpedit pretty easy so it's nice to just have the good new stuff while keeping the same core functionality as before

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

it's fun

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

It prompted my annual attempt to switch to Linux, which gave me my annual reminder that holy poo poo Linux is still so loving bad lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Win12?

Or WinSXP?