Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm not reading a manifesto but what's his position on reinstating Number Munchers

Why would they take it away?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Democracy by call-in radio show is actually a tight as hell idea

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

What's his position on rocking the casbah?
He'll have to let the raga drop.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm not reading a manifesto but what's his position on reinstating Number Munchers

I'm a single issue voter and my issue is making kids play the original Oregon Trail in computer class.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've learned I'm wasting my life not running for sheriff and sending my neighbors insane manifestos.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Chief McHeath posted:

when im sheriff i will make marihuana use compulsory

Hunter S Thompson had something like that on his platform when running for Sherrif.

His only rule was that deputies could not take mescaline right before their shift.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
What is it with with cursive writing and Republicans? Their obsession with it is so loving bizarre.

I recently heard from a Brazilian dude that they don't teach print in Portuguese. They only learn writing in cursive there.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jelly posted:

What is it with with cursive writing and Republicans? Their obsession with it is so loving bizarre.

I recently heard from a Brazilian dude that they don't teach print in Portuguese. They only learn writing in cursive there.

they love that loopy rear end poo poo

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I never read anything in cursive that couldn't be written in print, I'm just sayin

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

cursive is cool imo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Jelly posted:

When I was doing cGDP paperwork it was extremely recommended to not write in cursive as far as notes on critical paperwork go. You need to be able to read the note and determine what was happening when reconciling video, paperwork, SCADAs, etc. as fast and efficiently as possible, without a lot of interpretation being done as far as wording or - you know - having to decipher someone's personal cursive. There is no reg against it but the recommendations I got from Federal agencies, foreign regulators and my bosses were to not, under any circumstances write in cursive, which I don't anyway.
Didn't stop plenty of people from doing it, and causing major headaches for everyone who reviewed paperwork. Sometimes you could call someone into the office and ask them to transcribe their cursive; sometimes the note was a victim of high turnover, which turned into another problem because now someone has to transcribe it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I still remember how to write in cursive, I even still remember "italics". However, I haven't used it for over 30 years and it's 100% completely unnecessary. There is no need for it to exist in my life.

That said, loving things is cool and if you love something then you're still free to pursue it, just like how people still pursue calligraphy which is not a mandatorily taught skill. Or, you know, most skills that aren't boring bullshit.

But I've heard non-Republican arguments that cursive stimulates artistic ability/learning and I found those to be compelling.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

When I was doing cGDP paperwork it was extremely recommended to not write in cursive as far as notes on critical paperwork go. You need to be able to read the note and determine what was happening when reconciling video, paperwork, SCADAs, etc. as fast and efficiently as possible, without a lot of interpretation being done as far as wording or - you know - having to decipher someone's personal cursive. There is no reg against it but the recommendations I got from Federal agencies, foreign regulators and my bosses were to not, under any circumstances write in cursive, which I don't anyway.
Didn't stop plenty of people from doing it, and causing major headaches for everyone who reviewed paperwork. Sometimes you could call someone into the office and ask them to transcribe their cursive; sometimes the note was a victim of high turnover, which turned into another problem because now someone has to transcribe it.

TIL I learned MrQ is a 3-letter agency spook

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Jelly posted:

But I've heard non-Republican arguments that cursive stimulates artistic ability/learning and I found those to be compelling.

My freehand is a combo of print and cursive that I developed in high school and college taking notes, but lol I wouldn't recommend that. I have a whole different demeanor and hand position and everything for any kind of professional handwriting.

Cursive and calligraphy and stuff is super cool, though, and pursuing it and getting good at it for sure stimulates artistic talents.

Smugworth posted:

TIL I learned MrQ is a 3-letter agency spook

poo poo, probably would have been more fun than working with the DEA

also here is a :nws: for quadcopter dildo video of my former sheriff currently under investigation for gun running getting harassed when he ran for mayor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaEnyE_JyYI

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 4, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I learned how to make police style reports while I worked for some ex cops doing blah blah security. It's all in easy to read print with last names in caps, all relevant information is repeated ad infinitum, etc.if a judge can't read your writing, you're kinda hooped.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Weird. All his ideas about fighting crime have to do with harassing teens.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

ElectricSheep posted:

MakaVillian posted:

I'm a single issue voter and my issue is making kids play the original Oregon Trail in computer class.

Screen-based studies are a travesty of education. It says so right in the mailer.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I respect a good Manifesto. I appreciate the effort.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

how many black teens has this guy shot

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Bad news for fans of grass-roots democracy and/or cursive: Incumbent Fairfax Country Sheriff Stacey Kincaid appears poised for victory. HOWEVER, absentee ballots are still being counted, so we may yet get our after-school teen centers!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I voted for him

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Bad news for fans of grass-roots democracy and/or cursive: Incumbent Fairfax Country Sheriff Stacey Kincaid appears poised for victory. HOWEVER, absentee ballots are still being counted, so we may yet get our after-school teen centers!

At least he got a double digit vote percentage!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
drat, couldn't even beat Sheriff Jerry

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

Dude is running because he think the police should de jure be a unaccountable fascist mob but yeah that is a dumb hat lol

It would be pretty hosed up if that were to come about.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Extra Large Marge posted:

drat, couldn't even beat Sheriff Jerry

McMilliowned

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
drat that dude thinks a lot about teenagers

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I used this guy's newsletter but changed his name to mine and got elected sheriff

What should I do now

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Smugworth posted:

I used this guy's newsletter but changed his name to mine and got elected sheriff

What should I do now

Hold a press conference from atop a horse and swear an oath to uphold the constitution. Wear your best vest and hat.

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
oh no now he'll never be able to start that podcast/radio show or whatever

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Smugworth posted:

What should I do now

can i have a gun? its to uphold the constitution i promise sheriff.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Hold a press conference from atop a horse and swear an oath to uphold the constitution. Wear your best vest and hat.

Smugworth isn’t allowed within 100 feet of a horse.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm just gonna roll around town in the sheriff SUV drunk as hell let me know if you need anything

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Smugworth posted:

What should I do now

Well certainly don’t give me the number to your call in show unless you want to get destroyed with facts and logic :cool:

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Prof. Crocodile posted:

drat, look at that margin of victory for clerk of the court! Falcon PUNCH!!!!!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
a REAL innovative sheriff would probably have a panel that opens in his leg where a carbon fiber lasso is stored. Also his star lights up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

OK so the election is over, but the Chris DeCarlo news keeps rolling in.

Apparently he has a history of making country-tinged rap tunes to drum up grass-roots support for his insurgency campaign. Incredibly, some claim that these raps are also tinged with systemic racism. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD7UP3tNWm8