Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ApplesandOranges posted:

As far as spoilers go, Persona 3 and Persona 4 are... pretty old games. Heck, the game itself probably expects you to know the story of those two games.

The Velvet Room attendants straight up discuss (in indirect terms) the future fate of two of the party members during one of the skits.

Both this game and Q2 fully expects you to know everything about Persona 3, 4 and 5 (Q2 only) and will unrepentantly refer to major events that happened or will happen with the barest of fig leaves to avoid spoilers.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So yeah, Narukami is off the table.

You sure about that?
P4 name: Yu Na rukami Yes, those are two blank spaces between Yu and Na.

Voting to start with Persona 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

loving Overpowered Enemies.
That's what it stands for since the original JP Etrian Odyssey and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Here we see the first of the skits and they would be cute, don't tell me Elizabeth being an unapologetic troll isn't funny the first few times, but they can't support a whole game where nobody is allowed any kind of depth or character arc in this weird limbo we've ended up in.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

For those that never played Persona 3, 4 or 5, the MC there is the only one who can use the power of the wild card. It allows them insane versatility and power; I never played 3 but in 4 and 5 it's intended for the endgame to be the Yu Narukami/Joker shows, guest starring the other party members.
gently caress, in 5 Royal one of the last bosses has a phase where said boss kicks the rest of the party out of battle for a 1v1 fite me bro.

In exchange however, the protagonists are load bearing. They get knocked unconscious it's game over, no ifs no buts no "I had 99 revival items in my backpack and enough SP for twenty Samarecarms on my healers".

In this game, everyone (but Zen&Rei who play more like a standard Etrian Odyssey character) get the Wild Card and the protagonists are nothing special. However on the maximum difficulty, your chosen protagonist (so Makoto right now) is still load bearing.
Don't play Risky in Q or Q2 is what I'm saying, Etrian mechanics do not gel at all with a load bearing character.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I will never understand why games will have physical and magical as options, and then absolutely kneecap one of them in favor of the other.

In this game's case, I think they overestimated how good the regenerating SP pool on the sub Personas would be and nerfed SP consuming skills a bit to compensate. This wouldn't influence the phys/mag balance in an Etrian game, but here physical skills cost HP.

Additionally, Etrian magical skills already had scaling problems in their own series because they didn't care about your weapon* until EO5; the tradeoff is that they were really good early and mid before weapon stats exploded. Reduce their base power however, and this goes away leaving them weak all game long.

*generally speaking, exceptions may apply

TL,DR: I think the devs overvalued the regenerating sub-persona SP, ignoring the other changes to the Etrian battle system, and nerfed SP skills too much to compensate for it.