Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I am donating blood tomorrow. I've never donated before. I don't even know what blood type I am. In Canada right now there is a massive demand for blood so I thought I would help out.

Anyone else donating blood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I have, enjoy the free cookies and juice!

I should again next time there's a work drive. a good excuse to get out of a meeting while helping others

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

don't forget to donate a little when assembling a new computer, anointing it

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

one time the blood just stopped coming out of me. just slowed down and came to a stop. the nurse tried to get it started again and then yelled at me and my friends for "playing a stupid joke" on her

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i do blood and plasma quite often op. the blood people gush as though i am saving the world every time

they also give me cheese and crackers and coffee and chocolate. it’s good

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

AlbertFlasher posted:

I am donating blood tomorrow. I've never donated before. I don't even know what blood type I am. In Canada right now there is a massive demand for blood so I thought I would help out.

no. they’ve never accepted my blood because I’m gay, and continue to not accept my blood because I’m polyamorous (even if it’s a fixed set of people, they won’t accept)

I’m also not accepted by them because many years ago I was an IV drug user, and this incurs a lifetime ban, even though I’ve never contracted anything from any of these behaviours

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

I have, enjoy the free cookies and juice!

I should again next time there's a work drive. a good excuse to get out of a meeting while helping others

Thank you <3!

git apologist posted:

i do blood and plasma quite often op. the blood people gush as though i am saving the world every time

they also give me cheese and crackers and coffee and chocolate. it’s good

lol gush

OldAlias posted:

no. they’ve never accepted my blood because I’m gay, and continue to not accept my blood because I’m polyamorous (even if it’s a fixed set of people, they won’t accept)

I’m also not accepted by them because many years ago I was an IV drug user, and this incurs a lifetime ban, even though I’ve never contracted anything from any of these behaviours

:( sorry to hear that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i’ve donated as often as possible basically since high school. feels good man

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AlbertFlasher posted:

every 8 weeks, motherfuckerrrrr!

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I used to not be able to donate blood because I had sex with lots of men men, but even now that I'm engaged to a woman I can't donate because I spent too much time in the UK in the 90s.

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
i recently got my five gallon pin and said to the lady drawing my blood “that’s like a whole home depot bucket full” and she just kinda went “hrrm yeah” and walked away

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Katana_Warrior posted:

I used to not be able to donate blood because I had sex with lots of men men, but even now that I'm engaged to a woman I can't donate because I spent too much time in the UK in the 90s.

Depending on where your are the UK thing might not be a problem anymore

https://www.aruplab.com/news/01-06-...ministration%20(FDA)%20guidelines.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias posted:

they also don’t want my sweet honey like blood

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my blood has the composition of an ice cream float

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i used to donate blood in high school because it was an automatic "get out of class" excuse

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I don't donate blood because you never know if they're actually vampires

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i used to donate blood in high school because it was an automatic "get out of class" excuse

it’s also a get out of work excuse :evilbuddy:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

when i was in college they gave you $20 for donating plasma and that's how i paid for my beer

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i donated blood a couple of times at the office a few years ago. then one of the people taking my blood said "oh your blood type is in demand you should do platelet donations if you can!!" so i thought okay, i'll give it a go

here's the problem: they can't* just take platelets any old place, because the process is they take blood out of one arm, run it through a machine that separates out the platelets, then put most of your blood back in via the other arm. so donating platelets meant driving in to the one place in portland they're set up to take platelets. and it's not a quick process like regular blood donations either, you're stuck in the chair for around two hours. and you're not supposed to move your arms so you have to stay still the whole two hours. plus they aren't always ready to take you and get you hooked up immediately after arriving so really it was basically three hours there.

the important thing is that, either way, i wasn't interested in killing an entire evening doing this, so it had to be a weekend where i didn't have something going on. so i'd donate, and then a few weeks later they'd start calling me asking when i'd come in again and it's like "uhhh maybe in a couple weeks?? jesus get off my rear end"

now fortunately they setup big comfy recliners and TV stands so you can watch a movie while you're hooked up. but it's still not really pleasant. the first time was relatively painless although i found my arms would get sore after the first hour. it still felt like "ooh i'm doing a good thing" but i found that the soreness got worse the second and third times and i was really starting to get annoyed with the phone calls.

finally i go in for the fourth time and it's a disaster. the person working the needle that day hosed up and they weren't getting it right and i could feel the needle moving in my arm as they tried to get my vein. eventually they give up and get their supervisor to come take a look. "ah, i see the problem. you went through the vein." eughhhh

dude asks me "hey so..... we can try again, or we can call it off for the day." at this point i was thoroughly done and said as much. at which point, the guy goes and gets a bag of ice and tells me to hold my arm in to keep the bag on for a few minutes to prevent a massive bruise. here's what really turned me off of ever doing it again; if i'd said "yeah let's try again" they wouldn't have put the bag of ice on so would i have had a massive bruise from that? were they looking out for my best interest? i wasn't sure at that point and between that and the soreness and the calling i had had enough.

i haven't donated since. it's probably irrational of me but i was done with letting the red cross stab me. then the pandemic hit and that gave me another reason to avoid them.

*at least around here, idk if it's different elsewhere

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 4, 2023

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

my blood has the composition of an ice cream float

:yum:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i haven't donated since. it's probably irrational of me but i was done with letting the red cross stab me. then the pandemic hit and that gave me another reason to avoid them.

you can go back to doing normal donations

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i donated blood a couple of times at the office a few years ago. then one of the people taking my blood said "oh your blood type is in demand you should do platelet donations if you can!!" so i thought okay, i'll give it a go

here's the problem: they can't* just take platelets any old place, because the process is they take blood out of one arm, run it through a machine that separates out the platelets, then put most of your blood back in via the other arm. so donating platelets meant driving in to the one place in portland they're set up to take platelets. and it's not a quick process like regular blood donations either, you're stuck in the chair for around two hours. and you're not supposed to move your arms so you have to stay still the whole two hours. plus they aren't always ready to take you and get you hooked up immediately after arriving so really it was basically three hours there.

the important thing is that, either way, i wasn't interested in killing an entire evening doing this, so it had to be a weekend where i didn't have something going on. so i'd donate, and then a few weeks later they'd start calling me asking when i'd come in again and it's like "uhhh maybe in a couple weeks?? jesus get off my rear end"

now fortunately they setup big comfy recliners and TV stands so you can watch a movie while you're hooked up. but it's still not really pleasant. the first time was relatively painless although i found my arms would get sore after the first hour. it still felt like "ooh i'm doing a good thing" but i found that the soreness got worse the second and third times and i was really starting to get annoyed with the phone calls.

finally i go in for the fourth time and it's a disaster. the person working the needle that day hosed up and they weren't getting it right and i could feel the needle moving in my arm as they tried to get my vein. eventually they give up and get their supervisor to come take a look. "ah, i see the problem. you went through the vein." eughhhh

dude asks me "hey so..... we can try again, or we can call it off for the day." at this point i was thoroughly done and said as much. at which point, the guy goes and gets a bag of ice and tells me to hold my arm in to keep the bag on for a few minutes to prevent a massive bruise. here's what really turned me off of ever doing it again; if i'd said "yeah let's try again" they wouldn't have put the bag of ice on so would i have had a massive bruise from that? were they looking out for my best interest? i wasn't sure at that point and between that and the soreness and the calling i had had enough.

this basically happened to me and it sucked but oh well

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I've never done

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my mom does platelets and they can do one arm now, but it's still a long process. luckily the seats are better, there's WiFi, and the place is easy to get to

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
too gay sorry to say

not sorry

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just give them whole blood. i don’t want any of it back

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
havent donated since college. but donating it in college got me laid for a couple weeks. thanks, donating blood

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

havent donated since college. but donating it in college got me laid for a couple weeks. thanks, donating blood

dating a vampire doesn’t count

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

I just give them whole blood. i don’t want any of it back

eh, they can process it to make skim blood if they need to

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

dating a vampire doesn’t count

i remember this specifically because they had top 2 if not best knockers ever, 15/10, perfection no notes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you struck gold

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

you struck gold

bruv

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

I donated blood once. They tested my iron levels at first to make sure I wasn't too anemic to lose that amount, & it was too low. So they stuck me again and tested again. Too low. They said, "ah, these tests can vary quite a bit, not super accurate" and did it one or two more times, until the number finally came out JUST on the line where they'd accept.

But I'm pretty sure that last reading was a significant outlier to the high side, because for the next 4 days I was horrendously fatigued and had to stand up slowly so I didn't faint. I tried again the next year, but when the first reading came in low & they wanted to keep testing again I refused.

Really appreciate people who can do this regularly, as it saves so many lives, but as it appears I already live at the edge of anemia I'm gonna just avoid it personally.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
last i tried donating blood, not enough blood was coming out of my arm so they called it off. they still gave me a free movie ticket though

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Blood donation update:

I went on Friday and it was all good. It was exactly as everyone said. They were so happy I was there donating and they said I could have cookies and juice.

They took 469 ml and it took 12 minutes. Apparently I was a bit dehydrated so the blood wasn't "flowing" well so it took a while. My hemoglobin level is 152 which they said is good and my blood type is O+. So if any goons need any O+ blood hit me up.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i’d love to op because I have a rare blood type but in Poland you can’t donate blood if you are on any medication.

i did donate marrow once.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I only do whole blood because I hate the way the pheresis machine pulses in my vein plus for some reason the machine always fucks up and they end up throwing away whatever I've donated plus the huge plastic manifold and tubes coming out of it. what a waste :( so yeah whole blood I'm in and out in like 45 minutes compared to the suckers doing plasmapheresis for 2+ hours. plus I get to see the phat bag of blood they drain out of me which is metal af

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i'm o neg and go as often as i can, usually for double red. i had to take about a decade off since i kept traveling to malaria zones but that job is behind me so i'm back in the chair again and got the gang tag as part of the deal.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i will donate either once they make it a non billable thing on hospital bills, or they pay me. means of production etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

eh what am I gonna do with it really. might as well give that poo poo away for free