Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's partially just overexposure, I liked many of the comics as a kid, more a Disney thing than a constitutional aversion to superpowers. Mentally I think I'm filing it away with Andor as shows that sound better than average and the kind of thing of interest to me -- but for a fair shot, to only watch if I'm in a mood amenable to the IP that it is part of. Plus Lokis of all sorts are usually a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

It's partially just overexposure, I liked many of the comics as a kid, more a Disney thing than a constitutional aversion to superpowers. Mentally I think I'm filing it away with Andor as shows that sound better than average and the kind of thing of interest to me -- but for a fair shot, to only watch if I'm in a mood amenable to the IP that it is part of. Plus Lokis of all sorts are usually a fun time.

Yeah, I figured it was Marvel/Disney rather than superheroes (not that "superhero" is a very specific descriptor of the type of character that most superhero shows focus on).

Andor might be more your pace. It's a fairly conscious decoupling from several contemporary production trends in Lucasfilm/Disney. Not without problems (it does not know how to structure an episode, and I didn't find the characters psychologically compelling outside the villains) but it's nice looking, well made and is a fairly thoughtful approach to the setting without being particularly derivative.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Khanstant posted:

If you enjoy Who and enjoy the character Loki (as an antihero) - it's a great show. You don't need to keep up with any other shows/movies continuity wise except knowing the broad strokes - which it sounds like you've got down easily.

I'll echo Jerusalem - first season of Loki is VERY good. Definitely watch that. The second season has not hit those levels of consistency of quality, or just quality peak in general but it does appear to be improving. I'm a bit behind and Jeru said the last ep pulls some big meta changes/recontextualizes the season so I suspect the quality is on the upswing. Let's hope it finishes proper.

The only thing I'd point out is that Jonathan Majors is involved heavily in Loki's plot, and the filming/etc was done before the shitstorm hit the fan regarding him/marvel potentially recasting or re-directing to Doom as their next big bad. But that'd be a problem for Season 3, anyway.

BF Chat

Anyone listening to the new 8th Doctor Adventures? I thought McGann sounded old in the Doom's Day portions, but it continues here. Thought he just had a cold but perhaps McGann has lost the ability to do that 'younger, bright eyed' 8th Doctor? It seems to be closer to that than his time war era character, anyway, based upon the box art and general demeanor.

It's good, the first story is the only one I have completed. Will likely finish up the 2nd one The Great Cyber War or whatever its called today. Love me some cybermen but bummed they aren't the Tomb model. Just glad to have 8th DA back!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

McGann's 63. It just might be harder for him.

Also, that twist at the end of The Great Cyber-War.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, so it's been confirmed that Doctor Who will NOT have anything earlier than this year's specials on Disney+.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's a big mistake. 20 days of no Who is asking for a riot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You can still watch it on Max :ssh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interesting because Ncuti’s first ep is explicitly a Christmas special.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

You can still watch it on Max :ssh:

haha I misunderstood your post and thought you were just goofing there'd be no new who content until the specials

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://auk.direct/product/children-of-the-circus/

:negative:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Well hell, Whizz Kid is back as the only one reprisingu? But we've got everyone else playing different parts and Sly DOESN'T PLAY THE SPOONS when he's meant to be a part of the circus???

I'm enough of a Who fan and musical fan that I'm interested. But my "oh no this could be bad" flags are all raised in the back of my head.

If BF was doing this, I'd be on board immediately since they've done the odd pseudo musical and always play it with the correct level of seriousness.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

McGann posted:

Well hell, Whizz Kid is back as the only one reprisingu? But we've got everyone else playing different parts and Sly DOESN'T PLAY THE SPOONS when he's meant to be a part of the circus???

I'm enough of a Who fan and musical fan that I'm interested. But my "oh no this could be bad" flags are all raised in the back of my head.

If BF was doing this, I'd be on board immediately since they've done the odd pseudo musical and always play it with the correct level of seriousness.

All the "special guest appearance" people appear to be the originals, as are Ian Reddington and Christopher Guard. I've no interest personally but it doesn't look completely wrong?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm definitely getting it, Stephen Wyatt's a loving weirdo author but he's done right by his recent steps into licencing his properties. The Build High For Happiness book Obverse released was genuinely really really good. They did a Yellow Kang (YELLOW KANGS ARE BEST) story that mashed up Lovecraft and another about n aging cannibal lothario.

But also I have to listen to it for sheer lmdabo value.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 6, 2023

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
"Caitlin Blackwood, who played kid Amelia Pond, is now 23, which is the same age Karen Gillan was when "The Eleventh Hour" aired"

What the hell is time

:corsair:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As the Doctor put it: "You were a little girl! :mad:"

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Is it a spoiler if a Disney Plus press release announces the Christmas Special release date and title before the BBC?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Spoilers: it's going to be broadcast on December 25th

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Actual spoilers, it’s called ’The Church on Ruby Road’

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Very good poster for all 3 specials

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Something tells me hands will play a vital role in these episodes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Me too, but I can't put my finger on what

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
They're just bragging that they didn't use AI to make the poster.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Confusedslight posted:

Something tells me hands will play a vital role in these episodes.

Oh God, if Fourteen loses a hand so he can create another clone of himself before regenerating into 15, so we can Ncuti and a 14b version of Tennant running around somewhere at the same time I am gonna be so livid.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if these posters are from Fifteen's perspective, and that's who Fourteen is reaching out for

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if these posters are from Fifteen's perspective, and that's who Fourteen is reaching out for

They're reaching out for the audience, to try and pull them back in after Chibnall's run drove them away :smuggo:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

Oh God, if Fourteen loses a hand so he can create another clone of himself before regenerating into 15, so we can Ncuti and a 14b version of Tennant running around somewhere at the same time I am gonna be so pumped. Double Who's and Doctor Donna Masterworks All!

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So my brain knows that RTD is all of Eccleston and Tennant, but my heart only replies with "Fart Aliens".

Can someone fix me?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey now, he was also concrete blowjob and elf jesus.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GigaPeon posted:

So my brain knows that RTD is all of Eccleston and Tennant, but my heart only replies with "Fart Aliens".

Can someone fix me?

Yeah, when people ask me if Doctor Who is good, I usually reply with, "Sometimes it's amazing, genre defining science fiction. And sometimes it's literally farting aliens. And you never know which it will be. And sometimes it's both at the same time!"

I can't believe how quick in his run he went with farting aliens.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Every RTD episode was basically guaranteed to give you at least one “holy gently caress that’s so cool/funny/clever” moment and at least one “holy gently caress that’s so dumb/awful/irritating” moment. Sometimes they occurred within seconds of each other and sometimes they were simultaneously the same moment.

I can’t wait, the concept of feeling anything while watching new episodes of Doctor Who feels like a distant dream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A bunch of RTD stories had me go:

What a rollercoaster, I love this episode so much!
several minutes pass
Hang on, a bunch of that made NO sense and was kinda stupid!
half a second passes
Still loving great though!

It was wildly uneven but when it hit highs they were HIGH and the lows were only rarely too much to look past. Though when they were, boy were they!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
At least RTD’s lows were still interesting lows. I’ll take a miss from a big swing over playing it safe and dull any day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ll take a miss from a big swing over playing it safe and dull any day.

If you're Chris Chibnall you can do both like he did with The Timeless Child!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1721544215069593912?s=46

Disney accidentally released the title of the Christmas special.

really hope this doesn’t confirm the leak of the 60th plot too

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
RTD is pure chaotic neutral Doctor Who and dear god I’ve missed it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The decimation of Earth's population to the sounds of Rogue Traders and the subsequent humiliation of the Doctor accompanied by Scissor Sisters were my RTD highlights. So stupid. So mid-00s.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Creature posted:

The decimation of Earth's population to the sounds of Rogue Traders and the subsequent humiliation of the Doctor accompanied by Scissor Sisters were my RTD highlights. So stupid. So mid-00s.

Made ten times better by it being the Master playing the music in universe.

As perfect as the 50th was and I wouldn't trade it away for anything, there is part of me that really wants to see what a RTD 50th would have looked like, imagine it being like the finale scenes of Stolen Earth with them all piloting the TARDIS, but amped up even further.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder how long the BBC have known about the rights thing with An Unearthly Child, because while it IS the Daleks, I can't imagine the big 60th Anniversary colourised re-airing being the SECOND ever story is intentional, surely you'd want the bookend of the first ever story?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gaz-L posted:

I wonder how long the BBC have known about the rights thing with An Unearthly Child, because while it IS the Daleks, I can't imagine the big 60th Anniversary colourised re-airing being the SECOND ever story is intentional, surely you'd want the bookend of the first ever story?

On the other hand that first story is... not as interesting as The Daleks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gaz-L posted:

The first episode of An Unearthly Child is iconic, but the rest of the serial? The Daleks have a lot more to do with making the show what it is today than some cavemen.