Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, the first episode is really good, and obviously has the most historic importance, but the rest of that serial is kind of a slog and probably isn’t worth highlighting in the same way.

What could be interesting if they could manage it, since they’re editing it way down anyway, would’ve been to edit it in such a way that it goes from the first episode of Unearthly Child straight into The Daleks. But obviously the rights issues wouldn’t allow that even if they wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm not sure it's even clear there IS a rights issue, or if the beeb are just being cautious.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The novelisation literally does go from Unearthly Child episode 1 to the Daleks. I had no idea about the cavemen for years.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I need to watch it because I'm very interested in these cavemen but I am really so so tired of the Daleks. All they do is yell, kill, lie, and lose

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I'm not sure it's even clear there IS a rights issue, or if the beeb are just being cautious.

I don’t know anything about British copyright law, but I’m guessing the guy at least has enough of a case to make it a headache for the BBC to fight, even if they would end up winning in the end.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Honestly a good way to watch a lot of the black and white episodes is to just keep watching until you get bored and then skip to the next serial. There's some good stuff in the caveman parts of Unearthly Child, but you're not getting much in Episode 4 that you couldn't have gotten in Episode 2. The Daleks, likewise, has some truly iconic moments but is also interminably long and boring.

It's not like the color episodes don't have downtime and dull stretches, but they weren't making like 50 episodes a year at that point so the stories become quite a bit more focused.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was looking for the episode and clicked top result and found it strangely lacking in Daleks and cavemen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaUjZnP9nTI

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I don’t know anything about British copyright law, but I’m guessing the guy at least has enough of a case to make it a headache for the BBC to fight, even if they would end up winning in the end.

It's this. They're being cautious by not uploading the first serial to iPlayer because it's gonna take longer to litigate than the next fortnight, but even with the Tories breathing down their neck, the BBC has solicitors better than one random son of a writer is gonna be able to afford.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if with Disney money the Whoniverse could fully buy the rights to the Rani and start using her more

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
*clutches his copy of Tomb of the Cybermen*

They'll never take this black-and-white serial away from me!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if with Disney money the Whoniverse could fully buy the rights to the Rani and start using her more

Someone with better graphics skills than I needs to edit a screenshot of the mark of the Rani to add two mouse ears to it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Narsham posted:

Someone with better graphics skills than I needs to edit a screenshot of the mark of the Rani to add two mouse ears to it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

"I am the Master, and you WILL FastPass me."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lovely interview with Ncuti via GQ.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
That's a nice interview (though what is with the overwhelming popularity of astrology nowadays! Just do not get the appeal). Really excited to see his Doctor in action.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

quote:

Gatwa texted his mother, and then spent the next three months telling strangers in members’ club Soho House, while drunk, that he would be the next Doctor.

I love this. :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do not think I have ever seen a picture of Ncuti Gatwa that doesn't make him look like the coolest person who has ever lived.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He wasn’t lucky to get cast as the Doctor, Doctor Who the show was lucky to get him.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

He wasn’t lucky to get cast as the Doctor, Doctor Who the show was lucky to get him.

Honestly I think I might think this about pretty much every Doctor we've ever had, now you've said it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

The guys' Twitter implies he's being disruptive dick solely to a dick out of revenge because the writer of the first episode clearly had to have invented the characters and the Tardis and should be paid for everything that ever followed etc etc.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Szmitten posted:

The guys' Twitter implies he's being disruptive dick solely to a dick out of revenge because the writer of the first episode clearly had to have invented the characters and the Tardis and should be paid for everything that ever followed etc etc.

The worst thing about this whole saga is it's the first time someone's managed to make Ian Levine look like the person on the right side of a Who related argument.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

I was thinking the actual mark, but I’ll accept this.

Clearly we’ll also need the blingy/sparkly mouse ears on the Cyber Lords. I guess if you were to swap them in to the Time Lords formal robes you’d need to match the chapter colors.

Or just go whole hog and replace Time Lords with Disney characters. Gold Usher = Winnie the Pooh! Five Doctors Rassilon = the Genie! Hell Bent Rassilon = Bob Iger!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Narsham posted:

Or just go whole hog and replace Time Lords with Disney characters. Gold Usher = Winnie the Pooh! Five Doctors Rassilon = the Genie! Hell Bent Rassilon = Bob Iger!

Abu, the Meddling Monkey

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Abu, the Meddling Monkey

You may be on to something here...

Did the Doctor nick Abu's fez (or more likely the monkey took a liking to him over the Monk and gave it to him before leaving) and that's why he has a fondness for them?

Narsham posted:

I was thinking the actual mark, but I’ll accept this.

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 8, 2023

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Finally watched The Caves of Androzani. Thought it was really quite good (the other half called it 'solidly not bad, though I would have liked it to hate women less'. I'm not going to show them any Colin Baker).

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The Mirror’s reporting that an Eighth Doctor spinoff with Paul McGann is in the works.

It’s The Mirror, so… yeah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope it's a movie, that can be his thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

lines posted:

Finally watched The Caves of Androzani. Thought it was really quite good (the other half called it 'solidly not bad, though I would have liked it to hate women less'. I'm not going to show them any Colin Baker).

Caves into Twin Dilemma MUST be the biggest drop in quality between two episodes in the entirety of Who canon.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Part one and part two of an unearthly child is the first noticeable drop in doctor who cannon.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Confusedslight posted:

Part one and part two of an unearthly child is the first noticeable drop in doctor who cannon.

There's loads of quality shifts, absolutely, I just can't think of a bigger one. Androzani is generally regarded as one of the best serials and I'm struggling to think of a story I like less than Twin Dilemma.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On the flipside there's the massive uptick in quality from The Dominators to The Mind Robber.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Maxwell Lord posted:

On the flipside there's the massive uptick in quality from The Dominators to The Mind Robber.

There's a lot of examples from Troughton tbf

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

For sharp drop-offs, the Capaldi era had both Flatline to In the Forest of the Night and Extremis to The Pyramid at the End of the World.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Whilst The Dominators is by some way Troughton's worst story, I don't think it harms his character the way Twin Dilemma harms the Sixth Doctor. If The Dominators had been his first story post-The Tenth Planet that would have been bad, but I think the show would have recovered by the end of season 4 still, but The Twin Dilemma sabotaged Colin Baker right out of the gate.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Warthur posted:

Whilst The Dominators is by some way Troughton's worst story, I don't think it harms his character the way Twin Dilemma harms the Sixth Doctor. If The Dominators had been his first story post-The Tenth Planet that would have been bad, but I think the show would have recovered by the end of season 4 still, but The Twin Dilemma sabotaged Colin Baker right out of the gate.

Exactly. You go from a great story of betrayal, revenge and Five sacrificing himself for someone he barely knows, to a story that largely slides off the brain who's lasting impression is of bad acting from the supporting cast and Six being a huge, huge rear end in a top hat to the universe in general and to Peri in specific.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Also, although Peri is basically unconscious for good chunks of Androzani, for the segment where she's with Five they have this really neat chemistry - it feels like they've been travelling together for years. Then you get the Peri and Six insultathon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So... do we think the anniversary episodes will have Donna be a millionaire?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Warthur posted:

Also, although Peri is basically unconscious for good chunks of Androzani, for the segment where she's with Five they have this really neat chemistry - it feels like they've been travelling together for years. Then you get the Peri and Six insultathon.

This is one of those reasons I'm iffy on the Five/Peri audios - you have Five sacrificing himself for someone he barely knows in Caves, but then you have tens of audios with them (and Erimem - The Eye of the Scorpion, The Church and the Crown, and The Kingmaker are some of my favorites) having adventures. Granted most fans wouldn't have listened to Big Finish, but it's one of those canon/not-canon things I guess.

So, if Caves to Twin is the biggest drop in quality from one episode to the next, which pair is the biggest jump in quality?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Literally the very next story pairing is Attack of the Cybermen to Vengeance on Varos, which is certainly a strong contender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rochallor posted:

Literally the very next story pairing is Attack of the Cybermen to Vengeance on Varos, which is certainly a strong contender.

Absolutely not