Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah it's the same energy as him getting offended at parallels being drawn between Captain Jack's vortex manipulator and the TARDIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
Time Lords have long standing snobbery about any form of time travel that isn't a Tardis. That's nothing new.

I'm not a fan of most of the Who Xmas episodes - they seem to assume your watching them on Xmas day, no attention span, half asleep with a belly full of way too much Turkey and Quality Street. Which most of the audience might well be, but they tend to feel both inconsequential, no depth and weirdly breathless if your watching them 2 days later on iPlayer, which is how I always watch them. RTDs were usually particularly bad for this, and this one was no exception.

A little bit of me is worried that the reboot is a much deeper reboot than I'm hoping for. One episode is what it is, but this very much felt like a Disney show in a way I'm not hugely interested in, and if the specials were a way of ending the show to date to make way for this new rebooted show....eh. Not sure about it. I like how Who can simultaneously be the dumbest loving show on earth and weirdly clever at the same time. I hope they don't end up sanding all those edges off. Those edges are the point,. at least for me.

But, then again, if I was judging the show by that one with Kylie Minogue and the Space Titanic I'd feel exactly the same way so eh.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Slyphic posted:

March feels a long ways off.

It's about to feel longer: new episodes aren't until May.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness to RTD, I think the last 10 minutes of The Christmas Invasion are up there with his best stuff (as cruel as it is "Don't you think she looks tired?" is an elegantly cynical bit of writing). And The Runaway Bride mostly gets by on Tennant and Tate's chemistry but like, that chemistry can do a LOT of heavy lifting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Matt Smith was extremely good at "very old person in a young body" and it showed right from the start. Gatwa doesn't have that "ancient entity with a new face" vibe; he's playing the Doctor as a twenty-five year old. Which isn't a knock against him, it's a valid approach and it might be what they want for what they're treating a series reboot. Just that it's a different way to go.
I genuinely love that older actors playing the role bring a youth to it and younger actors bring an aged wisdom, but they rarely start off doing either. It usually takes some time, so I imagine he'll get there too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it’s hard to tell where they’re eventually going to go with 15’s character. There’s the baseline of “heart-on-sleeve charming rogue”, but I’m very interested in seeing how he develops from there.

You can’t count on RTD to write consistently good stories, but you can pretty much bet your house on him having compelling and emotionally resonant character arcs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

In fairness to RTD, I think the last 10 minutes of The Christmas Invasion are up there with his best stuff (as cruel as it is "Don't you think she looks tired?" is an elegantly cynical bit of writing). And The Runaway Bride mostly gets by on Tennant and Tate's chemistry but like, that chemistry can do a LOT of heavy lifting.

It sort of works for Ten. Nine's "I picked up another stupid ape!" just comes through in a different way with him, in which he's kind and wacky right up until something touches a nerve and he turns into a vengeful monster who willfully utilizes the bigotry of the era to punish his enemies. Sure, he throws Harriett Jones under the misogyny bus, but he also punishes aliens who should know better even harsher by trapping them in mirrors forever, and gets so furious at the twee romcom blogosphere of the aughts that he turns someone into a concrete block face.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Bicyclops posted:

gets so furious at the twee romcom blogosphere of the aughts that he turns someone into a concrete block face.

That's an....interesting interpretation of the events of that episode I guess.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Boxturret posted:

That's an....interesting interpretation of the events of that episode I guess.

We can redeem bad media however we want. The bad make up to age Matt Smith is bad because the doctor was trying to make himself look old. Martha is together with Mickey in a covert operation to kill him. six strangles peri because, uh... uh. That episode was lost in the BBC archive fire! Hooray!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Slyphic posted:

I actually don't think vivacious 25 year old is a valid portrayal of The Doctor. The through-line is a wanderer that needs companions to feel fulfilled, that is a mix of bright faced and weary, glee and ennui.

The whole point of 14 being The Doctor’s “therapy regeneration” is that by the time they’re 15 they’ve learned to deal with and/or drop some of that weariness and ennui. And 15 clearly still has some of it based on a few scenes in the last special, it just doesn’t dominate his personality in the same way it did 9-14 in particular.

4 also had a very similar manic joy and energy without the weariness in his early adventures and obviously he’s still considered by many to be the definitive portrayal of the character.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The whole point of 14 being The Doctor’s “therapy regeneration” is that by the time they’re 15 they’ve learned to deal with and/or drop some of that weariness and ennui. And 15 clearly still has some of it based on a few scenes in the last special, it just doesn’t dominate his personality in the same way it did 9-14 in particular.

Yeah, like, mention something that triggers a memory he struggles with and he'll show it; it's clearly there when he connects with Ruby and her mom about being adopted. (Incidentally, surprisingly elegant way of using the Timeless Child stuff, I actually had to think about where that came from.) He just doesn't really let it control him, he can put it aside pretty well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

It sort of works for Ten. Nine's "I picked up another stupid ape!" just comes through in a different way with him, in which he's kind and wacky right up until something touches a nerve and he turns into a vengeful monster who willfully utilizes the bigotry of the era to punish his enemies. Sure, he throws Harriett Jones under the misogyny bus, but he also punishes aliens who should know better even harsher by trapping them in mirrors forever, and gets so furious at the twee romcom blogosphere of the aughts that he turns someone into a concrete block face.

I also love the moment in School Reunion where he's facing off with ASH at the school swimming pool. There's a bit of Davison in his "If I don't like it, it will stop" but with more of Ten's menace. And while it didn't really come through till later, there's something great about him sighing "I'm so old... I used to have so much mercy..."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Finally got around to watching the special. It was OK, even if the goblins going back in time to kidnap baby Ruby seemed unearned as a story beat.

Stopgap thread will be up...eventually.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
FYI, Barnes & Noble has 50% off British tv right now which includes the newer Classic Who Blu-ray season sets

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Bicyclops posted:

the Nu doctors have sometimes been nice, sometimes dour, but they have rarely been kind. 15 seems like he might break that trend.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
But will he eat pears:thunk:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://youtu.be/x3ZaQqm-3oE

They're literally asking about your theroies about Mrs Flood on the official Doctor Who youtube channel so there is definitely a desire to make your theorize.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Covok posted:

https://youtu.be/x3ZaQqm-3oE

They're literally asking about your theroies about Mrs Flood on the official Doctor Who youtube channel so there is definitely a desire to make your theorize.

She is clearly Susan who is also the Rani who is also Rose who is also that one woman with the space boat from Enlightenment.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Mrs Flood is from our universe, where Doctor Who is a fictional TV show.

It's why she's so excited to see the TARDIS on Christmas Day, but also thinks it's silly that someone doesn't know what the TARDIS is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Mrs Flood is from our universe, where Doctor Who is a fictional TV show.

It's why she's so excited to see the TARDIS on Christmas Day, but also thinks it's silly that someone doesn't know what the TARDIS is.

Mrs. Flood is going to punch the walls of reality, becoming responsible for all the continuity errors in Doctor Who.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What's "Mrs Flood" an anagram of? Come on, we've watched RTD Doctor Who before, we know how he thinks! Old Forms? DSM Floor? Kind of a joke about the DSM4, the old version of the psychiatric diagnostic manual... or what's the longer version of Mrs? Missus Flood? Sodium Floss? No, we'll need to get her first name if we're going to crack this.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Was Harold Saxon an anagram of something?

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, like, mention something that triggers a memory he struggles with and he'll show it; it's clearly there when he connects with Ruby and her mom about being adopted. (Incidentally, surprisingly elegant way of using the Timeless Child stuff, I actually had to think about where that came from.) He just doesn't really let it control him, he can put it aside pretty well.

I never watched the Timeless Child stuff, so at first I thought it was a reference to "half human on my mothers side" or something then I went "Oh right. Chibnnall."

I liked how emotional he got when he realized Ruby had been erased from time, talking to her mother who had no memory. "Why are you crying?"

Why are YOU, Doctor. Hmmm?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

“Mrs. Flood, you’re an angel!”
The Doctor hugs her, turns a few steps, and then comes to a realization.
“Oh no no no, I just remembered that you turned on the machine that turns video games real.”
Mrs. Flood explodes into the flood from Halo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If I remember correctly, 'Mister Saxon' was said to be an anagram of 'Master No. Six'.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mrs. Flood is going to punch the walls of reality, becoming responsible for all the continuity errors in Doctor Who.

Mrs. Flood-Prime

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cleretic posted:

If I remember correctly, 'Mister Saxon' was said to be an anagram of 'Master No. Six'.

RTD claimed it was a pure coincidence. But he would, wouldn't he. Professor YANA wasn't a coincidence!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

2house2fly posted:

What's "Mrs Flood" an anagram of? Come on, we've watched RTD Doctor Who before, we know how he thinks! Old Forms? DSM Floor? Kind of a joke about the DSM4, the old version of the psychiatric diagnostic manual... or what's the longer version of Mrs? Missus Flood? Sodium Floss? No, we'll need to get her first name if we're going to crack this.

Oh my god...she is Mrs. Ood. She is gonn spit her brain out into hand and become an Ood like in that weird rear end episode.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Covok posted:

Oh my god...she is Mrs. Ood. She is gonn spit her brain out into hand and become an Ood like in that weird rear end episode.

Good ol' Planet of the Ood just keeps delivering the hosed up body horror

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DavidCameronsPig posted:

A little bit of me is worried that the reboot is a much deeper reboot than I'm hoping for. One episode is what it is, but this very much felt like a Disney show in a way I'm not hugely interested in, and if the specials were a way of ending the show to date to make way for this new rebooted show....eh. Not sure about it. I like how Who can simultaneously be the dumbest loving show on earth and weirdly clever at the same time. I hope they don't end up sanding all those edges off. Those edges are the point,. at least for me.

But, then again, if I was judging the show by that one with Kylie Minogue and the Space Titanic I'd feel exactly the same way so eh.

To me this episode felt like a 2005 Series 1 Eccleston episode, just with two decades of improved effects. Very much following the same soft reboot model, much like how it took until Series 2 and School Reunion for the show to start properly referencing anything from the past.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I said my theory before: Rani. Rainy. Flood.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
An excellent thread:

https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1740189040287330382?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

Non-twitter form:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

It was like my third read of that before I spotted John Hurt

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I enjoyed the Christmas special well enough. I think that Gatwa could make a very good doctor. I did like Cherry, reminded me of one of my own grandmothers the way she went on about wanting a cuppa.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I always thought he was called Harold Saxon because Harold was the last Saxon king of England.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jodie Whittaker reading Peter Capaldi's letter to a 9year old who was sad about 12 having to regenerate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS0iFWwvDbs

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Jodie is absolutely lovely and I really do hope that one day she can get a run of Doctor Who scripts that will truly let her shine. It feels really unfair that by far her best episode, the one where Thirteen finally felt like the Doctor she should always have been allowed to be, was her last.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Goblin King's death felt like a mirroring of the end of State of Decay, to continue the 4/15 parallels.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Got to the end of the Eleventh Doctor era in my watchthrough and dear god was Series 7 an unholy mess.

I feel like there must be some sort of behind the scenes story as to why Madame Kovarian simply never showed up again after The Wedding of River Song (sure, she dies in that, but explicitly that happens in an alternate timeline which gets unmade by the end of the episode), because it feels like she should really have been in the Tasha Lem role in The Time of the Doctor but no, there's just a line of dialogue as a sticking plaster over that.

Also I counted at least two incidents of the Doctor sexually assaulting someone in the second half of the season so I guess that's a thing he does now. "I sexually assault people now, Clara. Sexual assault is cool."

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Well that's all right then!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Warthur posted:

Got to the end of the Eleventh Doctor era in my watchthrough and dear god was Series 7 an unholy mess.

I feel like there must be some sort of behind the scenes story as to why Madame Kovarian simply never showed up again after The Wedding of River Song (sure, she dies in that, but explicitly that happens in an alternate timeline which gets unmade by the end of the episode), because it feels like she should really have been in the Tasha Lem role in The Time of the Doctor but no, there's just a line of dialogue as a sticking plaster over that.

Also I counted at least two incidents of the Doctor sexually assaulting someone in the second half of the season so I guess that's a thing he does now. "I sexually assault people now, Clara. Sexual assault is cool."

I mean I just assumed it was because Frances Barber is a big ol' terfy shitbag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I mean I just assumed it was because Frances Barber is a big ol' terfy shitbag
From what I can see, she didn't mask off about that until well after Time of the Doctor would have been filmed? And Gareth Roberts was writing for the show as late as Series 8.