Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Infinitum posted:

Jodie Whittaker reading Peter Capaldi's letter to a 9year old who was sad about 12 having to regenerate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS0iFWwvDbs

That was lovely. And led me to this, which was equally lovely.

Matt berry and Peter Capaldi reading an exchange between a sultan and a cossack.

https://youtu.be/oW8OlXkjVHs?si=hN2PK_kMnw0mfeaL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

McGann posted:

Matt berry and Peter Capaldi reading an exchange between a sultan and a cossack.

Might as well post the painting of the guys writing the letter if you're going to link to the video:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

McGann posted:

I had come across that letter reading right before Christmas, and was suggested this quite perfectly on Christmas Eve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQgR1h2Rogg

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The whole point of 14 being The Doctor’s “therapy regeneration” is that by the time they’re 15 they’ve learned to deal with and/or drop some of that weariness and ennui. And 15 clearly still has some of it based on a few scenes in the last special, it just doesn’t dominate his personality in the same way it did 9-14 in particular.

4 also had a very similar manic joy and energy without the weariness in his early adventures and obviously he’s still considered by many to be the definitive portrayal of the character.

Agreed.

I just watched the 3 specials of Tennant and Tate redux and the Christmas Special last night, finally paying my mouse toll. I loved the...lightness, for lack of a better word, and joy that Gatwa has brought. It was like a huge burden has been lifted off the shoulders of the character that has been there, well pretty much since Adric died. Whittaker walked a knife's edge between the past holding her back and the future pulling her forward, so I thought this transition was particularly well done from a character dynamics perspective.

And I adored the musical scene, which is shocking since I really despite musicals in general

After it finished Pluto was streaming an episode of 4 and its easy to forget how dark and slowly paced that show once was, as much as I adore Baker as my first Doctor

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I thought the whole scene at the end with Ruby coming on board was the Doctor needed to make sure it was her choice to go and that he didn't influence her to join.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ooh, I do like that. Companions face grim fates often enough it's at the very least irresponsible to ever ask or tempt someone aboard.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought the whole scene at the end with Ruby coming on board was the Doctor needed to make sure it was her choice to go and that he didn't influence her to join.
Which does make it quite interesting that it's Mrs. Flood who influences her instead by pointing her directly to the blue box...

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
While it feels a little bit like the old Batman 66' detective scenes in the moment, I did like letting Ruby just sort of figure things out at the end and going out to find him herself.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Nikumatic posted:

While it feels a little bit like the old Batman 66' detective scenes in the moment, I did like letting Ruby just sort of figure things out at the end and going out to find him herself.

I liked this because it's the exact kind of Batman '66 stuff that David Tennant would do. Ruby as an equal to the Doctor.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I really liked her just accepting things in the moment and then once the baby was safe she's like...wait a minute what was that he said about Houdini??

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Boxturret posted:

I really liked her just accepting things in the moment and then once the baby was safe she's like...wait a minute what was that he said about Houdini??

I like that she isn't even 100% on when Houdini was alive, and still correctly flags it as weird.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cleretic posted:

I like that she isn't even 100% on when Houdini was alive, and still correctly flags it as weird.

She and the new Doctor are charisma magnets IMO and have interesting character elements to explore

Also give it up to Russell T. for giving it to TERF island

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm not worried about Disney meddling.

They have a simple goal: own 100% of all childhood nostalgia media in the entire anglosphere.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What if the real Timeless Child is the Tardis? We know it has consciousness.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Doctor should be the child of Time, Space, while also being related to Dimension because Timelords have 3 parents.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The Tardis actually feeds on the companions energy, that's why it opened the door for Rose

It's hungry

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I get why the Doctor never uses the TARDIS to land inside villains and explode them (he's laaaaame) but what's the Master's excuse?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

I get why the Doctor never uses the TARDIS to land inside villains and explode them (he's laaaaame) but what's the Master's excuse?
Landing on someone materializes the Tardis around them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Nah, that's an option you can toggle. It's a plot point in The Time Monster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just run the bad guys over with the TARDIS like he did that one time with daleks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Master's never had a TARDIS for long enough to drive any of them well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cleretic posted:

The Master's never had a TARDIS for long enough to drive any of them well.

To be fair TARDISes that aren't the Doctor's are meant to be actually usable.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

LividLiquid posted:

Nah, that's an option you can toggle. It's a plot point in The Time Monster.

they also atomize an ood by materializing a TARDIS right on top of him in the doctor's wife

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The master has had a working tardis so few times that you can only assume that he’s an even worse driver than the Doctor is.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TIP posted:

they also atomize an ood by materializing a TARDIS right on top of him in the doctor's wife

"Another Ood I've failed to save"

although I suppose that could be chalked up to it being a junk TARDIS with no outer shell or something. Still, poor Nephew.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

although I suppose that could be chalked up to it being a junk TARDIS with no outer shell or something. Still, poor Nephew.

Yeah that TARDIS wasn't dimensionally transcendental or anything so there was no inside for the ood to be shunted into.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

I mean I just assumed it was because Frances Barber is a big ol' terfy shitbag

I'd like that to be true, but Gattiss was working with her as recently as 2021 and he's good mates with Moffat, so I dunno if the production crew felt it was that big an issue. Unfortunately.

Sidebar: but I've always assumed that Moffat came up with the -- awful, diminutive -- Susan The Horse joke from A Town Called Mercy. Partly because that episode has Moffat's fingerprints all over it (it's basically a first run at Trenzalore) but also because he reused that joke exactly in the Day Of The Doctor novelisation he wrote.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So how does the master keep time traveling then?

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

ikanreed posted:

So how does the master keep time traveling then?

Patented "I'll explain later" technology, of course.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Missy had a Vortex Manipulator for when she didn't have a TARDIS.

(What other personal mass-produced space/time machines have there been on the show besides TARDISes and SIDRATs and Vortex Manipulators? The show seems to lean on Vortex Manipulators a lot these days even though those are just the lovely stuff humans came up with in the 51st century.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 29, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MikeJF posted:

Missy had a Vortex Manipulator for when she didn't have a TARDIS.

(What other personal mass-produced space/time machines have there been on the show besides TARDISes and SIDRATs and Vortex Manipulators? The show seems to lean on Vortex Manipulators a lot these days even though those are just the lovely stuff humans came up with in the 51st century.)

There's nothing explicitly said but I always just assumed the Time Lords via the Celestial Intervention Agency made sure no one developed anything that would challenge their dominance of time travel. Feels vaguely analogous to the bigger players in the Cold War developing nukes and then pulling the ladder up before anyone else could do it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

What if the real Timeless Child is the Tardis? We know it has consciousness.

I don't like this idea for much the same reason I don't like the idea of the Doctor being the Timeless Child (outside of it being contradictory to literally everything the show has ever done outside of one minor abandoned story idea by a (very good) writer): it heavily implies if not outright states that the Doctor, or in this case the TARDIS, was ALWAYS special rather than becoming that way due to exposure to experiences and ideas and new perspectives.

While none of what the show would eventually become was planned or laid out in any way (unless.... it was!?!), I always liked that the benefit of hindsight shows us that the Doctor of An Unearthly Child is still much the same as the Time Lords in spite of him leaving Gallifrey: he's arrogant, aloof, looks down on humans as barely educated savages etc, but unlike the other Time Lords he learns and grows and changes and takes on new ideas that they refuse to in their apex but utterly frozen/unchanging civilization.

Similarly the TARDIS grows and changes too - for most if not all Time Lords other than the Doctor a TARDIS is simply a conveyance, something that gets them where they want to go and can bring them back when they're done. I don't think we ever get any details but I assume it was mostly used for either more close observation of civilizations (perhaps even purely for educational purposes for Academy students) or as a means of moving agents that needed to "take care" of a potentially competing civilization before it grew too powerful. I believe (can't place a specific episode, somebody tell me if I have this wrong) the idea is that a TARDIS is regularly "reset" to its default settings, memory wiped, systems rebooted etc. I'd also assume from what we see in episodes featuring multiple "parked" TARDISes that they're considered largely interchangeable aside from newer models being built, and a Time Lord might never knowingly take the same one out on a trip more than once. For characters like the Master, to roll in the other discussion happening at the moment, any TARDIS is as good as the other, we never get the sense that he/she sees their TARDIS as anything important or vital to them beyond its use as a means of travel, and we can presume that they have switched or changed their TARDIS multiple times throughout their lives.

By contrast, the Doctor's TARDIS is already outdated when he gets it (but not an original model), he goes everywhere in it, it doubles as a home not just for himself but for Susan too and then later Ian and Barbara and then all the others that came after. The TARDIS doesn't get reset, it doesn't have a parade of different users, and for thousands of years and across countless planets its constant companion is the Doctor. As early as Edge of Destruction we see the first and original incarnation of the Doctor, played by William Hartnell, admit by the end of the episode that he was wrong when he said the TARDIS couldn't think or communicate, though he notes it is a different kind of communication more akin to a warning system. Those were early days for both of them, and I think it's telling that by The Doctor's Wife we hear dialogue suggesting that most of the TARDISes that landed on House and had their "consciousness" dumped into a humanoid body burned out/died almost instantaneously inside such a limited form. I think that makes sense, because each TARDIS would have been for the most part completely unprepared for something outside of its normal scope of operations... but not the Doctor's TARDIS. Not because it was intrinsically more special than them, but because it had the chance for growth that none of them ever got.

So for the TARDIS itself to be the Timeless Child would suggest it was the original, that all other TARDISes were themselves designed/patterned on its example, and I think that undercuts what it became through the experiences we as viewers have seen it have. Just like the Doctor having multiple unseen lives pre-Hartnell for me undercuts what made him change from that initially arrogant and callous old man who only cared about himself and his granddaughter into the charming, caring and active agent for good and hope we are currently watching Ncuti Gatwa be.

I am intrigued by what RTD is trying to salvage from the muddle that Chris Chibnall left behind, and I'm far more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on it, but I do hope the show continues to avoid one of my least favorite things: the idea that any kind of hero or main character has to have been intentionally special and "more" from birth rather than being somebody who just grew into the person who is out there making a difference because it is who they have chosen to be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I think that makes sense, because each TARDIS would have been for the most part completely unprepared for something outside of its normal scope of operations... but not the Doctor's TARDIS. Not because it was intrinsically more special than them, but because it had the chance for growth that none of them ever got.

Although The Doctor's Wife does say that the Doctor's TARDIS was already little different: the reason that she was unlocked in the first place was because she also wanted to run away and see the universe, and so when a Time Lord came along wanting to steal a TARDIS, she made herself available.

But that's not intrinsically different, it's just... her making a choice, like the Doctor did. So what you said still applies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Watched Deep Breath for the first time in years (always put on a bunch of Doctor Who around Christmas) and the Doctor's little speech at the end hit me like a truck, I'd never noticed before how Moffat used it to bookend the Capaldi/Coleman era

Deep Breath posted:

You can't see me, can you? You look at me, and you can't see me. Have you got any idea what that's like? I'm not on the phone, I'm right here! Standing in front of you!

Hell Bent posted:

There's one thing I know about her. Just one thing. If I met her again, I would absolutely know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Watched Deep Breath for the first time in years (always put on a bunch of Doctor Who around Christmas) and the Doctor's little speech at the end hit me like a truck, I'd never noticed before how Moffat used it to bookend the Capaldi/Coleman era

Ahhh gently caress man :smith:

It really did blow me away how Clara ended up feeling way more like a Capaldi-era companion than a Smith one, despite that being where she started and her playing such a big part in the 50th Anniversary.

MikeJF posted:

But that's not intrinsically different, it's just... her making a choice, like the Doctor did. So what you said still applies.

Yeah, it's that choice that is the truly important thing - they weren't born that way, they became that way, and that's a big part of what makes it work so well for me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can we talk about Chesterton’s banger of a robe in The Keys of Marinus?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Can we talk about Chesterton’s banger of a robe in The Keys of Marinus?

If Barbara wasn't smitten before then, she was after!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Say what you want about the sets of early Who, but drat if they didn't raid the theater wardrobe for the best costumes :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can't knock the fashion show they have now, but there is a real charm to the exploded closets look we are missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fil5000 posted:

There's nothing explicitly said but I always just assumed the Time Lords via the Celestial Intervention Agency made sure no one developed anything that would challenge their dominance of time travel. Feels vaguely analogous to the bigger players in the Cold War developing nukes and then pulling the ladder up before anyone else could do it.

Shada and Alien Bodies actually touch on this with the Dronidians, a "lesser" empire that attempted to seize Gallifrey-level time dominance and were put down.