Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I admire their commitment to the Mavity joke, at least, even if I don't find it particularly funny.

As for the special, on thing I liked is that Ruby invites herself into the TARDIS. Now clearly it's what the Doctor wanted since he was waiting for her, but it's a nice twist to the "Come on in, oh don't worry it's bigger on the inside" the Doctor usually does

It seemed like the Doctor was about to go back and invite Ruby to come with him, before he had his moment of questioning if the chaos was following him and had second thoughts.

I interpreted it as he wanted her to come, but decided to see if she put the pieces together and made that real choice to come find him herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think it's entirely possible that Disney are giving bad suggestions as well but RTD is probably enough of an old hand that he can deflect/run interference when he needs to.

There's a clip of Margot Robbie talking about her work on the Barbie movie, where she was also a producer, and one of the things she did was talk with the reps from Mattel if they had a problem with a line and explain how it would work in the film and the context and so on. That's something everyone in the industry gets used to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

It really feels like while this may not always be the case, the days of the ubiquitous "do there really need to be twelve apostles? Can Judas be a rapping grandma with a cute dog" network notes are over and now in a lot of cases the network gives good notes.

Disney and Amazon are famous for giving bad notes, and there's clearly a terrible streamer-driven trend that's been going around for ages, which dictates what kind of cameras and cinematography shows should have so that channels get defined "looks" to them. You can instantly tell if a show came out on Apple or of Netflix, and it kind of sucks ngl.

There have always been producers and suits who get it and ones that don't, and I suspect the ones that don't outnumber the ones that do because it's a talent and skill that needs to be cultivated. I think the only thing that's really changed in the quality of the NDAs.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yeah, I don't think it's gone, just that it's a lot better than is used to be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

lines posted:

I do think people shouldn't work about Disney ruining the show. They don't really seem to have enough influence to really manage that - if Rusty is going to gently caress it, he'll do it without their help.

Also, Gatwa has a lovely accent. I think he's from Dundee and I don't know enough about the Dundee accent to know how representative it is, but it's a very gentle burr that's very easy to listen to. Which is good, as the Doctor, because as in this episode you're sometimes on narration duty.

He grew up in Dunfermline and Edinburgh. It's a fairly middle class sounding East Coast accent.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just watched and while I haven't read the last 1,000+ posts, I feel like i'm one of the few who didnt like this episode.
I thought the music scene with the goblins was just Abzorbaloff level of terrible.
Hoping the next episodes are better.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Got around to watching 14's 3 specials, haven't had a chance to watch the christmas special yet. Really enjoyed them, as someone that dropped off around mid 12's second season.

Really, one of my main hopes was that if they showed any news coverage they would use that one woman who was always the only american reporter across Tennant's original run, and they did in the Giggle, so 10/10.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rarity posted:

Praying that Disney don't force RTD to write something stupid like a nerd's girlfriend being turned into a paving slab :pray:

I hope there's an extended cut of the play with him "well that's alright then"-ing not just the greatest hits but the b-sides too

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I admire their commitment to the Mavity joke, at least, even if I don't find it particularly funny.

I think this is the setup for the big bad guy. Think about it, when has the Doctor himself been effected by changes in the timeline that he himself was present for? Why would he be completely unaware of that change? The Doctor is acting like Mavity is gravity's proper name. Something bigger and more powerful is messing with his timeline (obviously, it's the same being that the Toymaker was scared of).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

volts5000 posted:

I think this is the setup for the big bad guy. Think about it, when has the Doctor himself been effected by changes in the timeline that he himself was present for? Why would he be completely unaware of that change? The Doctor is acting like Mavity is gravity's proper name. Something bigger and more powerful is messing with his timeline (obviously, it's the same being that the Toymaker was scared of).

We saw him consciously change himself from using 'gravity' to 'mavity' in Wild Blue Yonder though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Doctor knows the word should be Gravity (he corrected himself about it when talking to Donna in the second special) he's just rolling with it.

Then again, back in series 5 there was a joke where Amy pointed out her village's duck pond and the Doctor said "how can it be a duck pond without any ducks" and I thought that was a cute joke about terms that are commonly understood but not necessarily descriptive, but it turned out to be a plot point and a crucial Sherlock-esque moment of revelation was punctuated with "but the duck pond didn't have any ducks!" so I'm not the guy to ask what's relevant and what isn't

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I'm guessing that one of the upcoming season finales will involve repairing the universe so superstitions aren't real anymore and after that people will go back to saying gravity and nobody will comment on it.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

MikeJF posted:

We saw him consciously change himself from using 'gravity' to 'mavity' in Wild Blue Yonder though.

It looked to me like Donna said "gravity" and the Doctor corrected her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

The Doctor: The captain of the ship. Circling round and round forever. Caught in the gravity field.
Donna: Caught in the what?
The Doctor: Mavity field.

Earlier, near the start of the episode just after they land, Donna has a line

quote:

Still, wherever we are, could be worse. We've got air, we've got light, we've got mavity.

Presumably the doctor picks up the change when she says that and just slots it in.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 27, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah I'm guessing that one of the upcoming season finales will involve repairing the universe so superstitions aren't real anymore and after that people will go back to saying gravity and nobody will comment on it.

Post credits of Season 1, we're on D+ now post-credit scenes are mandated, will have 15 pop out of the TARDIS to Newton and go "No, I said GRAVITY you tit", close it, and then swan off

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ooh another good one was Asylum Of The Daleks, where early on Oswin says she keeps herself busy making soufflés and the Doctor idly says "where do you get the milk" before being yelled at to concentrate on more important things. Then at the end it's revealed Oswin has trapped herself in a delusion to avoid the nightmare of being converted into a Dalek, and the Doctor mournfully reveals he suspected all along because "where did you get the milk for your soufflés?"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
But it is so obviously Dalek milk.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

MikeJF posted:

Earlier, near the start of the episode just after they land, Donna has a line

Presumably the doctor picks up the change when she says that and just slots it in.

He reacted pretty conspicuously when she said that so that's what I assumed as well.

Infinitum posted:

Post credits of Season 1, we're on D+ now post-credit scenes are mandated, will have 15 pop out of the TARDIS to Newton and go "No, I said GRAVITY you tit", close it, and then swan off

Maybe it turns out that that, and not the salt, was the root cause of all the supernatural stuff. Newton was also big into alchemy, maybe decoupling his genuine scientific accomplishment from the Latin root word (as well as seeing magical blue boxes piloted by obvious wizards speaking in demon tongues) just convinced him that the other superstitious guff was real and led to a whole irrational splinter-science.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Suddenly, Goblins was a fun episode. I'm really enjoying 15's theme. Waiting until May for more will be hard lol.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

That was the best Alan Menken song he never wrote. Took me a bit to zero in on the feel. First it felt like a Disney cartoon song a bit, then, no, it's more Little Shop of Horrors, what with the specific trash talking. (Sing along now: "keep the Thing, keep the It, keep the Creature, they don't mean poo poo.") But that's the same thing! The 80's Little Shop movie got Disney to get Menken to save their asses in their cartoon musicals, and if they hadn't Disney might not be around today to own everything including Doctor Who distribution. Feels like an intentional choice of that style of song to mark or take advantage of the Disney+ shift.

I kind of hope there actually wasn't a dirty pun I heard in that song and it's just that I need to get my head out of the gutter. Someone already mentioned Love and Monsters and we don't need that kind of thing.

Icing on the cake: The Master Ruby ending up sounding like Ned Flanders because yes it is actually hard to ad lib a song.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Better than Return of Doctor Mysterio, worse than Voyage of the Damned. The doctorless parts were pretty boring, best were the brief scene of running along the rooftop and the musical number. Not feeling his Doctor yet. No sense of gravitas, of timelord, or ancient wanderer. He's just coming off like the second Jack Harkness. And the companion, Ruby, ugh, she brings nothing interesting to the scenes she's in, nothing unique, and in terms of contribution to plot young contemporary London girl is the most tired and worn out choice possible.

I'm not going to judge a christmas special against a regular episode because I usually dislike them, but I'm not going to hold out for Ncuti's third episode and pretend it's a beginning like the end of this one asks.

I am disappointed how much I wish we could switch back to whatever 10/14 and Donna's fam are up to.

Or maybe Wild Blue Yonder just really skewed my expectations for the coming season, because I really liked that one but I'm just not excited by Disney Presents: Hot Young People Battle Magic Throughout Time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slyphic posted:

Not feeling his Doctor yet. No sense of gravitas, of timelord, or ancient wanderer.

Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

No sense of Mavitas.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Onomarchus posted:

I kind of hope there actually wasn't a dirty pun I heard in that song

No there was definitely a dirty pun you heard in that song

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

MikeJF posted:

Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall

Mavitas, surely (whoops, beaten)

Among Newton's many, many interests were alchemy and the occult and seeing an apparently magic blue box would definitely interest him

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Rewatched it and something that just tickled me was when The Doctor starts to sing to the Goblins, the Goblin King is super excited about. Smiles and stars bobbing around to the music.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't even know how I felt about the episode as a whole, because the main thing I was thinking about was just that god damnit how is Ncuti Gatwa so charming? Every scene he's in, he's just so charismatic in it. I feel bad for Millie Gibson, because yeah she wasn't super standout in this episode, but who could be, when you're acting alongisde that force of nature?

I will say though, as someone who was racing her phone battery home last night, I felt the potential anxiety of the gloves being at 3% charge maybe a little too hard, because all through the church action scene I was expecting them to lose power and for him to have to do the rest of it himself.

Gaz-L posted:

Did he wait? As noted he's wearing a different top under his coat when she enters the TARDIS, and i'm pretty sure you hear the vworp vworp before Ruby's scene deciding to chase him...

I think he didn't travel and come back, because of something a few other people point out, that I think might be an intentional element of Gatwa's Doctor:

He's a terrible park. Every place we see the TARDIS in this episode, it's weird and conspicuous and inconsistent, as if he's putting no effort or thought whatsoever into where he's setting down and just deciding that's good enough. I don't think this Doctor even could set the TARDIS in the same place he left it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Christmas special was fine. Plot made absolutely no goddamn sense and was more strong with asspulling plot devices than usual, but I thought 15 and Ruby were charming. Really loved the interactions within Ruby's family. RTD never really fails to deliver on the heartwarming or exciting character moments and I kinda feel like they're his biggest strength. Even the little fluff bits like the conversation between the Doctor and the cop. The excited little "...she's gonna say yes!" after the Doctor leaves was really sweet. :kimchi:

The goblin song was really dumb though imo. I know some people loved it but it didn't land for me at all.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

So i've just watched the giggle on my catch up run. In the shot at the end where the hand picks up the gold tooth. The shot makes it look like whoever is picking it up is floating off the edge of the helipad

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The singing was too much for me to be honest, lol. I get that it gave the actors a chance to show off that
they could do it, but I feel like there are better ways to set that up. I liked the rest of it, though. The concept of actual goblins on a wooden airship time traveling and eating coincidence to cause accidents, or possibly eat the accidents too, or whatever, is the kind of thing that's best in a Christmas special, but that's what this was.

RTD is also addressing the Timeless Child stuff in probably the only way to mine it for good material, which is to present it as a personal issue that's easy to identify with. I hope if they reveal the Doctor's origins that they're just horrible tyrants even worse than the Time Lords, so that it gives the Doctor the ability to just let go of the whole thing and make him identify even more with outcasts.

I'm onboard for the rest of it. They were definitely going for Labyrinth vibes and it sort of worked. Gatwa is great, the gravity gloves are fun, Ruby Sunday seems like she'll be a nice reset (it's sort of good to have a companion who looks at the "bigger on the inside" thing with awe again). Lots of stuff for speculation with the Master ring, Ruby's Mom, Ms. Flood, etc. I like the chemistry between Fifteen and Ruby, but I think it will work best if they don't do a Doctor/companion romance. I'd guess they're leaning away from it this time because the show is somehow even more unabashedly queer than it was in 2005, which is great.

It also feels like Fifteen has been around awhile doing his own thing before even meeting Ruby, instead of showing us the typical post-regeneration struggle, which I think was wise this time. It lets Fifteen start a little more confident than the other Doctors and gave Gatwa a lot to chew on.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Bicyclops posted:

It also feels like Fifteen has been around awhile doing his own thing before even meeting Ruby, instead of showing us the typical post-regeneration struggle, which I think was wise this time. It lets Fifteen start a little more confident than the other Doctors and gave Gatwa a lot to chew on.
I went back and rewatched the first part of Rose after the christmas special, and I think RTD is very deliberately trying to direct some parallels between the two. They have very similar interactions. But it seems like they're at least going in a different direction with it as 15 seems like he's going to snog his way through the male half of history in the way 13 never did.

I dunno, Gatwa just feels young in a way that Matt Smith didn't, but maybe that's also that the Eleventh Hour is the best new doctor story and this isn't. March feels a long ways off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Slyphic posted:

I dunno, Gatwa just feels young in a way that Matt Smith didn't, but maybe that's also that the Eleventh Hour is the best new doctor story and this isn't. March feels a long ways off.

Matt Smith was extremely good at "very old person in a young body" and it showed right from the start. Gatwa doesn't have that "ancient entity with a new face" vibe; he's playing the Doctor as a twenty-five year old. Which isn't a knock against him, it's a valid approach and it might be what they want for what they're treating a series reboot. Just that it's a different way to go.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Eccleston mostly read as a mid-40s veteran with PTSD, the Lonely God stuff only came in with Tennant

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

The singing was too much for me to be honest, lol. I get that it gave the actors a chance to show off that
they could do it, but I feel like there are better ways to set that up. I liked the rest of it, though. The concept of actual goblins on a wooden airship time traveling and eating coincidence to cause accidents, or possibly eat the accidents too, or whatever, is the kind of thing that's best in a Christmas special, but that's what this was.

RTD is also addressing the Timeless Child stuff in probably the only way to mine it for good material, which is to present it as a personal issue that's easy to identify with. I hope if they reveal the Doctor's origins that they're just horrible tyrants even worse than the Time Lords, so that it gives the Doctor the ability to just let go of the whole thing and make him identify even more with outcasts.

I'm onboard for the rest of it. They were definitely going for Labyrinth vibes and it sort of worked. Gatwa is great, the gravity gloves are fun, Ruby Sunday seems like she'll be a nice reset (it's sort of good to have a companion who looks at the "bigger on the inside" thing with awe again). Lots of stuff for speculation with the Master ring, Ruby's Mom, Ms. Flood, etc. I like the chemistry between Fifteen and Ruby, but I think it will work best if they don't do a Doctor/companion romance. I'd guess they're leaning away from it this time because the show is somehow even more unabashedly queer than it was in 2005, which is great.

Interestingly, in the behind the scenes both Ncuti and Mille were saying that they are not good singers or dancers and were really nervous about the singing.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Random Stranger posted:

Matt Smith was extremely good at "very old person in a young body" and it showed right from the start. Gatwa doesn't have that "ancient entity with a new face" vibe; he's playing the Doctor as a twenty-five year old. Which isn't a knock against him, it's a valid approach and it might be what they want for what they're treating a series reboot. Just that it's a different way to go.
I actually don't think vivacious 25 year old is a valid portrayal of The Doctor. The through-line is a wanderer that needs companions to feel fulfilled, that is a mix of bright faced and weary, glee and ennui.

Didn't really think of it til just this moment, I understand Ruby's motivation to enter the Tardis, obviously, ... but I don't understand 15s motivation to bring her, except maybe as a mcguffin he recognizes.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 27, 2023

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Like others have said she proved herself to be adventurous, courageous, and fun with a good heart, all the makings of a good companion. She also has an air of mystery about her with the narrative parallels to his own recent revelations about his own origins. I would imagine even with his own misgivings about his companions brought up by the toymaker, this was too much of a curiosity to ignore entirely, hence leaving the door open and allowing her to choose to enter.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I think somewhere it was said he's meant to have been off doing whatever for a hundred years, but I'm not finding where I heard that to prove it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Slyphic posted:

I actually don't think vivacious 25 year old is a valid portrayal of The Doctor. The through-line is a wanderer that needs companions to feel fulfilled, that is a mix of bright faced and weary, glee and ennui.

Didn't really think of it til just this moment, I understand Ruby's motivation to enter the Tardis, obviously, ... but I don't understand 15s motivation to bring her, except maybe as a mcguffin he recognizes.

Well he's now known her since she was a baby, and the lingering mystery of her parentage combined with her already being entangled with coincidence forces seems to be a recipe to make a companion even if he doesn't expressly say she's the most interesting word problem in the world.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Slyphic posted:

That was one of the two things in this episode which really didn't work.

The first was when the antagonists broke the timeline, even though the Doctor had previously made a big deal about the fact that they weren't capable of time travel when first describing them to his future companion. You'd think the Doctor would have something to say about that, but it was simply ignored with no explanation given. The script could have at least addressed this with a throwaway line with the Doctor either demonstrating surprise that they were wrong, or by trying to figure out what other means they might have used to pull off the stunt.

The second was that ending scene with the Doctor striking a pose on the walkway (just how long did he have to stand there?) while waiting for the new companion to walk in the door. To that point he had given no indication that he was even looking for a new companion, and Ruby was given no clear reason to seek him out after her issue was resolved. There was plenty of room to give her decision some context but instead it was just because that was where the plot needed her to be at the end of the story.

I also thought the puppet work during the music number was jank as all hell, but I'm used to accepting jank in my Doctor Who creatures, so that wasn't an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Doctor says they can surf time. He just draws a distinction between how the goblins do it vs him in the TARDIS. Presumably they could surf the timeline of coincidence back to Ruby's abandonment