Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

"Not the one you were expecting" :vince:

Also loved his appearance in The Power of the Doctor where he's not in robes like the others and they grumble about him not playing along :)

If there's only one thing I would've changed about that scene is, after Eight said "I don't do robes", instead of Seven saying "There's always one", I would've had Six say that, then have him morph into Seven, to reveal Seven is now wearing his trademark hat. And his silly grin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

McGann's 63. It just might be harder for him.

Also, that twist at the end of The Great Cyber-War.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

McGann posted:

Let me just say as an outside observer, this did look a lot like people misread the intent of the original post. Which was better phrased above by Senator Tron.

BF CHAT

OODUNIT - quite fun. I still don't quite understand the context of the earth empire Torchwood and feel I may have missed some stories(I have listened to archive and a couple others but it's vague memory), but I like the Zachary Cross character. And I really always enjoy having a good Ood story - and James Goss is never a miss for me, so I definitely recommend it.

Time to begin planning our holiday re listens. Besides the obvious Chimes, what others make your yearly list?

I'm gonna include Who eps and BF since otherwise our lists are very boring.

Chimes, fairytale for zaltsburg, blood on Santa's claw, the dream crab episode, maybe the snowmen for kicks.

I gotta do a little digging and rememeber some more

Drop Blood on Santa's Claw and replace it with The One Doctor.

The Eighth Doctor & Lucie audio "Relative Dimensions" is Christmas themed

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Apparently two more lost episodes have been confirmed! Except they're in the hands of a private collector who refuses to let anyone see them.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/11/lost-doctor-who-episodes-found-owner-reluctant-to-hand-them-to-bbc

Sounds like one of the episodes is part of The Dalek's Master Plan, too...

It's been mentioned elsewhere that there may be up to five or six missing eps in private collections, but no one is willing to part with them

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Has anybody explained that I want to watch them?

But what do they get out of it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tim Foley and Lisa McMullin are quite good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sadly, Clements best stuff was his 2000AD stories, which BF no longer sells. (I *Heart* Judge Dredd, 99 Code Red! Pre-Emptive Revenge, Fire From Heaven).

His Eight and Lucie story "Brave New Town" is good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Children in Need scene! We’re properly back, baby!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1724004190177861829

That guy (not Tennant) is wearing a Kaled uniform

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Those two Cyberman episodes with Danny Pink actually kinda killed Doctor Who for my wife and me. They were so nihilistic, grim, and against the spirit of anarchic adventure that Who is at its best that we just kinda barely watched the following season and then dropped off entirely, even if the immediately successive Christmas special did a little bit to make up for it. Totally missed Capaldi’s last season and all of Whitaker. It used to be destination viewing! I own probably half the Classic series on DVD! We went to the Matt Smith premieres in NYC! But those episodes killed any desire for us to care stone dead.

We started back up from Eccleston a few weeks back to kinda reboot our love for the series. It’s working so far! I’m looking forward to Capaldi’s last season, which I’ve heard is very good. And also…Whitaker’s run…which I’ve heard is short.

Capaldi's last series is easily his best. His run should have started there.

It's also Moffat's best series since Smith's first.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rumor was WORLD ENOUGH AND TIME was supposed to be Capaldi's last ep, but then Chibnall wasn't going to be ready for that year's Xmas special, so Moffat extended his run by one ep so Who wouldn't lose the Xmas spot.

Then Chibnall wasn't ever able to make it for the Xmas spot during his run.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm surprised I've not seen more discussion of this but RTD has said that this is Davros going forward now as a permanent change.

Where did he say this? I'm curious

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Davros design is so iconic, I wonder if they'll tweak it to make it accoutrements to Davros instead of a result of a disability.

Like his chariot becomes a vehicle he travels in, and he can wear a headress that amplifies his vision and hearing. And he dons a metal gauntlet that allows him to shoot electricity

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Entirely plausible and easy enough to make into an allegory for current circumstances. Hell yes I Neuralink'd myself, I'm the genius inventor of Daleks, why wouldn't I. Stairs are such a normie concept, why I bet they won't even exist in 10 years.

Daleks fly away, and Davros is just left standing there. Get him a hover chariot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish did a great job establishing that Davros was evil and immoral long before the assassination attempt that put him in his life support chariot.

Also, if Davies was going to go with a pre-Genesis Davros, he should have said "eff it" and brought in Terry Molloy.

(while it's never explicitly stated, and the general consensus is that it was a Thal shelling that destroyed the Kaled Science Facility where Davros was at the time ... Davros actor Terry Molloy believes that it was the high ranking members of Kaled government who felt threatened by Davros' ambitions that secretly ordered the attack)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Unless RTD was planning to adapt that storyline to TV, it basically doesn't exist as far as your average TV viewer is concerned (or your average modern DW fan, if we're being perfectly honest).

Except that they already had Davros be the Emperor Dalek in Remembrance, so that just takes it back to "he's in a wheelchair" territory again.

I always that Remembrance was basically just Davros as a head in a Dalek casing; the Doctor even says something along the lines of "You've shrugged off the last of your human remains."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

Is the davros series that big finish did a while ago worth checking out? I think it takes place before he become the davros in genesis.

Yes, absolutely, but as Open Source Idiom pointed out, you'll also need the Sixth Doctor Audio "Davros" as well, as there's flashbacks in there that flesh out "I, Davros: Corruption".

Thankfully, BF is having a Davros sale for the next two days, so you can get downloads for the complete "I, Davros" miniseries (also included, "The Davros Mission", an original audio first released on a UK DVD Davros boxset), and "Davros" for under about 15 bucks total. That's over seven hours of Davros goodness!

https://www.bigfinish.com/search_results?search_value_selected=0&search_term=davros

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I wasn't sure whether or not to bring up Sil, but casting little people as aliens or fantasy creatures in heavy makeup, instead of just little people, is its own whole big thing. Guys like Warwick Davis certainly make bank off of it, but it was also nice when they cast him as just A Guy in that one Cyberman episode, even if it the episode wasn't very good.

Shaban has mentioned in interviews that his agent originally rejected the role for him, feeling that it was just "a monster" part, but when Shaban read the script himself, he saw the richness of the character and told his agent to get him that part, since he wouldn't ever be offered to play a character like that.

And when we did see another member of Sil's species, he was played a "normal" height (albeit shorter than average) Christopher Ryan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HD DAD posted:

gently caress, have a companion change mid-scene, with zero acknowledgement.

There's a Time War boxset that does this, I think

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

If Big Finish was the Classic Series, they'd be in the Seventh Doctor's first series by now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, RTD was always better at this. During his tenure it always felt like there was something happening, be it the show itself airing, a trailer, the Christmas special, Torchwood, Totally Doctor Who, one of those CBBC animated shows, etc etc. And the beeb was always telling you those things were happening. They even got Big Finish actively in on things, with the Eighth Doctor Adventures getting broadcast on Radio 7 I think before they got released on CD?

BBC Radio 7 aired some of the 8 and Charley Adventures (but NOT Minuet in Hell, lol), and had great success with them, so they commissioned an original series of 8 Adventures, which is how we got 8 and LUCIE BLEEDIN' MILLER!

They still air BF stuff, like 10 and the War Doctor

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CornHolio posted:

So, dumb question from somebody that hasn't followed Doctor Who for several years (I stopped halfway through . Are Ten and Donna going to be around for an entire season or more? I thought it was just going to be a single special episode.

Not that I'm complaining.

And is he the fourteenth doctor or is the next doctor the fourteenth?

3 Specials

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0Fq_ERsCPS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Another photo of the new TARDIS set with The Doctor and their companion

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Boss is Fifteen

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RTD posted on his instagram that the final scene was the only scene Bernard Cribbens shot. So he won't be in the final special. :(

He also revealed that when he asked Cribbens to make an appearance, Cribbens' response was "I'm going to need to see the script."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Since the legal rights to the TV Movie visually are up in the air, Big Finish have to create odd looking compostions for stories starring early Eight and late era Seven. They look...off. At least with Master! they can get away narratively with new Eric Roberts photos.

They've pretty much used up all the publicity photos from the TV movie a long time ago. Hell, on the Mary Shelly trilogy, they were resorted to screen captures, something they also had to do for the Jago & Litefoot stories.

And when they do use original art, like on the War Doctor Begins series, the artist had to go on twitter to post a time lapse of her painting to prove that it wasn't CGI.

But here's a painted cover for an upcoming First Doctor story

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1730527222430060576?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/ianlevine/status/1732724542202589687?s=46

Oh no, the Doctor is in danger.

In distress, one might say.

LOL. Remember when he announced he was giving up Doctor Who and was becoming a dedicated Babylon 5 fan?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

First Chibnall, now RTD; I'm really not enjoying this lack of Osgood.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He has a thing for redheads

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Toymaker dancing in the street among all the carnage was genuinely creepy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

What games would other Doctors have challenged Toymaker with?

I can’t decide if Three, Four, or Six would have gone with Russian Roulette.

Four would've suggested a game that doesn't exist.

Narsham posted:

I will be very happy if we get a The Three Masters episode at some stage. Delgado first appeared on-screen in Jan 2, 1971, so we missed the 50th, but it's an idea whose time could have come.

Here ya go:

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/masterful-limited-edition-2197

and

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-two-masters-1052

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

When Mel said she was the first redhead, needed 14 to say "Well, Turlough"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

lines posted:

The odd thing is I'm not sure an American Doctor works wholesale - I could absolutely imagine a version of the show that was American but in a sense it is so tied up - for good and ill - with various Britishisms.

I've idly thought about this over the years as a Who fan, and one thing I've come to realized is that when it comes to American sci-fi TV series, is that most of them always involve some sort of chain of command. Whether or not that's a result of America's fetishism of the military complex, who can say? Even with Star Trek, with its "mission of peace", has a clear hierarchy baked into its structure.

Whereas Doctor Who is just some person who travels. Yes, the companion will defer to The Doctor because they're a more experienced traveler, and knows more about the universe, but The Doctor has no authority over them to order them to obey their commands, and if the companion does defy them, there's no institutional punishment baked in.

They're just friends, traveling about, having a lark.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

This shouldn't bother me and doesn't matter, but I'm miffed they never explained why The Doctor's clothes changed when she regenerated into 14 in-universe.

I thought that'd be part of the mystery. But there was no mystery, really. Even 14 didn't seem too interested in why he had 10's face again.

Not this first time it happened; One's clothes changed when he regenerated into Two

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, they're gone now. I think the restaurant shut down during covid.

I'm not sure what they do now that they've finally started going back into studio to record, re:food.

Their sound engineer made most of the lunches

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I can't imagine them really believing regenerations were permanently limited and once they hit the magic number the show must cease forever. Very sorry but someone once mentioned a limit so we just can't ever make another.

They absolutely did.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The funniest thing about the regeneration limit is that the Time Lords, in The Five Doctors, flat out offer The Master a brand new regeneration cycle. So even in the classic series the limit had been tossed aside.

And The Master wasn't even in a Time Lord body!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I was going to make some indignant remark about how elevating Donna to this level does it disservice to Evelyn but god. Can you imagine those two in a room? When Donna hears about the coat she'd have a meta crisis all over again with the power to razz the Doctor.

Donna would love the coat

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ThePrydonian/status/1736886507732918751?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I knew I recognized the name of the actress who played the social worker. She's written a couple of Big Finishes:

https://www.bigfinish.com/contributors/v/Gemma-Arrowsmith-11401

Also, the actress who played Miss Flood was in the first 8th Doctor & Lucie story (and is married to Queen's Brian May):

https://www.bigfinish.com/contributors/v/Anita-Dobson-10204

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Richard Franklin passed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

lol, i did say out loud "Stop it!" when he was flirting with Granny Sunday