Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mini Boat has recently turned five and, having noticed the Christmas episode's trailer, was asking about it. It's on before his bedtime and will be required viewing in this house, but I thought I'd test him on another episode beforehand to see how he handles mild peril and settled on Eleventh Hour for the following reasons:

- Introduces a new Doctor and explains a lot of Doctorish things
- Opening is told from the perspective of a child
- Plenty of silly / funny moments with excessive running about
- The villain is threatening but nothing too overly horrific happens
- It's straight up one of the best episodes of nuWho

Anyway, he was transfixed. He was engaged from the second the TARDIS flew on screen, he loved the Doctor's post-regeneration diet, he thought Prisoner Zero in all its forms was really cool and not too scary and he's just requested to watch it again after school. For something that's over fifteen minutes long and not animated that's a huge achievement.

If I do have a budding Whovian on my hands what other episodes would be good for him to watch? Maybe some of 12's episodes in the school? I feel like some of the rest of 11's first season might be a bit heavy going for him but he knows the Doctor has lots of different faces so I'm okay with jumping around a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah not that Mini Boat cares but Eleventh Hour has a great supporting cast of British sitcom legends. Annette Crosbie, Nina Wadia, Olivia Coleman before she'd won every award going. Plus Patrick Moore as himself!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Warthur posted:

So I think there's hints in the show that the reason the TARDIS console is shaped like that is that it's really meant to be run by a team of operators, one on each side...

The Doctor directly states this in Journey's End when the various companions help him fly the TARDIS

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Sugar skull in Flux maybe?

Edit: oh wait that's got the same issue as Tecteun. I thought flux was much more recent lol

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 19, 2023

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

McGann posted:

Now I'm expecting some sort of Patrick Mahomes cameo. That would delight at least...7 or 8 people, I imagine!

Based on the Statefarm adverts I want Andy Reid as the Doctor with Mahomes companion

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

That was great. Mini Boat was sad that the goblins didn't get to eat a baby (he's that kind of five year old) but seemed to enjoy himself. He said the fifteenth doctor was the coolest and the entire family let out a collective groan at having to wait for May for more Gatwa

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

apres moi le deluge

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

MikeJF posted:

Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall

Mavitas, surely (whoops, beaten)

Among Newton's many, many interests were alchemy and the occult and seeing an apparently magic blue box would definitely interest him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Slyphic posted:

March feels a long ways off.

It's about to feel longer: new episodes aren't until May.