Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

for the first time in years, doctor who is really back. Genuinely giddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Senor Tron posted:

Is that dude who had the "new to Doctor Who I hate that I'm being made to watch this wait I'm three series in and this is the most batshit and best thing ever" watch threads still around?

Oxxidation/Occupation, right?

I just wish I could find their actual original threads, the reviews were a fun read.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wild Blue Yonder got me excited enough to continue my rewatch of the old stuff and I while New Earth and Tooth and Claw were both very goofy and dumb plot-wise, there was some really fascinating character stuff that makes me glad that when I asked the gf whether she wanted a curated watch or if we should watch it all, good and bad, she said watch it all. New Earth turns Cassandra from a one-note villain into an interesting character (while also giving Piper and Tennant opportunities to have a ton of fun with acting when she possesses them) and Tooth and Claw is where the show really starts driving home the way the way that the Doctor and Rose recklessly hurl themselves into life-threatening history-altering adventures and seem to treat it as an amusing lark. Also Tennant and Piper are amazing together.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lmao that ruled, rusty is firing on all cylinders

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Toymaker also said "my legions are coming"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really like how this episode is both about how the Doctor's life is harmful to his companions (WELL THAT MAKES IT ALRIGHT THEN) and to himself.

Also taking the weird orientalism of the original Toymaker and changing it to the fact that he just likes appropriating the aesthetics and accents of various nationalities was fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The_Doctor posted:

The Toymaker's "Well, that's alright then!" cracked me up every time.

I love how his delivery was the exact same every time but the context made each repetition feel more and more mocking.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

HD DAD posted:

Throughout all three of these specials, I could just feel RTD absolutely not giving a poo poo and writing whatever came to mind while laughing maniacally about it.

And it was unsurprisingly wonderful.

I think RTD most definitely gave a poo poo while writing whatever came to mind and laughing maniacally about it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fez_machine posted:

I kind of hated that episode. All the worst sins of New Who.

It kind of ruled.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Random Stranger posted:

Since RTD is withholding an episode this week (:argh:) I watched The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. What a wild story that one is. It's kind of awkward and it probably should have only been a one parter, and I'm glad that the Ood became regularly reoccurring aliens so they could be something other than slaves who rebelled because the devil made them do it, but there's a lot of great moments. Nice horror set up and evil atmosphere, then some wonderful moments for both the Doctor and Rose.

There's enough echos of what RTD seems to be wanting to do not that I think it was a good time to revisit it. I could see the Beast fitting in nicely with the theme of the upcoming season...

That's legitimately one of my favourite Doctor Who stories ever. Stories which pit the Doctor against something that doesn't fit within his personal worldview are always cool, the Ood are fantastic, Rose moving into being genuinely competent and the scenes with the Doctor philosophising as he is slowly lowered into an abyss are Tennant at his best.

"Maybe that's why I keep travelling. To be proven wrong."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It doesn't even make sense that Jo is a previous Doctor because we saw Hartnell stealing the TARDIS.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m on Runaway Bride. A couple thoughts:

1. They mentioned Narys in The Star Beast. I thought they were going for a Maris-style joke like in Frasier, but I forgot she was actually in The Runaway Bride.

2. Who schedules their wedding on Christmas? Is this a British thing?

Doesn't Donna explicitly say she did it because she hates Christmas?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cleretic posted:

I respect Christmas Carol, but my favorite christmas special will always be Last Christmas.

I hope whoever cast Nick Frost as Santa is happy with their work forever, because god damnit, that's still perfect.

I... agree with Cleretic.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've been doing a rewatch of all of Who with my partner who is new to the show and it's been a delight re-experiencing the rollercoaster of glorious highs and plummeting lows of the RTD era.

I think... Love and Monsters might actually be good outside of the love life joke when rewatching it through the lens of LINDA being a representation of various facers of the Who fandom.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

do you really want a repeat of the year of specials

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Doctor can never be a himbo because one of the defining characteristics of a himbo is being dumb.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Very lukewarm on the episode. Ncuti is fun, but I'm not convinced by Ruby and the episode spent way too long re-explaining things again and again.

Cherry Sunday was perfection though.

edit: Also this feels like the kind of episode that should have happened about halfway through the season once we know and are attached to Ruby.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 25, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DoctorWhat posted:

It's a Christmas episode so it's written for an audience that's half paying attention and drunk on eggnog

I get that, but at least Christmas episodes usually fill the time with interesting/funny things instead of repeated explanations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Final verdict on the specials.

Star Beast: good
Wild Blue Yonder: great
The Giggle: great
The Church on Ruby Road: ehhhhhhh

3/4 is much better than the last season of specials.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Feeding off coincidence and misfortune is interesting, they didn't need to explain it over and over again though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I'm guessing that one of the upcoming season finales will involve repairing the universe so superstitions aren't real anymore and after that people will go back to saying gravity and nobody will comment on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah it's the same energy as him getting offended at parallels being drawn between Captain Jack's vortex manipulator and the TARDIS.