Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just start the season numbering over with every new Doctor, like Ultraman or something.

I feel like it’s already common for us to just say “Smith’s first season” instead of “Season 5”, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Every RTD episode was basically guaranteed to give you at least one “holy gently caress that’s so cool/funny/clever” moment and at least one “holy gently caress that’s so dumb/awful/irritating” moment. Sometimes they occurred within seconds of each other and sometimes they were simultaneously the same moment.

I can’t wait, the concept of feeling anything while watching new episodes of Doctor Who feels like a distant dream.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
At least RTD’s lows were still interesting lows. I’ll take a miss from a big swing over playing it safe and dull any day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

I used to wonder this about Star Trek, but the franchise is about boldly going where no one has gone before, finding people already there, telling them their ways are bad and wrong, loving up their entire society in a day or two, then loving off and never following up.

That's some conservative-rear end poo poo,

Oh give me a break already. This is such a deliberately hostile misreading of the entire franchise.

Conservatives are dipshits who routinely and purposely ignore or miss entirely the subtext of the things they’re watching. That’s it, that’s the whole reason you can have conservative and libertarian Trekkies. They’re morons.

It has nothing to do with the content of the actual show that often went well out of its way to be purposely progressive for the time in which it was made.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
“Conservative dipshits like Star Trek because it secretly has conservative overtones” is such a blindingly wrong take that it honestly makes me question if you’ve actually seen more than just out of context clips of the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
How is that any loving different to what I said in my first reply?

You don’t get to post like a condescending rear end if you’re only skimming the replies you get lmao

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think it’s extremely silly to get into an elevator with a cosplayer and suddenly worry whether or not they’re a literal fascist, but that’s just me.

The 501st just like to dress up and make props. There are Rebel and Mando equivalents as well, and while you probably don’t want to ask their opinions on Star Wars itself, I’m sure 99.9% of them are just harmless dorks. It’s easy to overlook how many fans are simply in it for the visuals and surface level storytelling. Liking the design of a fictional sci-fi movie costume doesn’t make you a literal nazi.

Do you also worry about cosplayers who dress up as Daleks or Davros?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Friend-o, every time I leave the house I have to wonder if today's the day I don't come back. I have to assess the level of danger every time I enter a room or interact with a stranger.

Trans people are a huge target right now. I didn't think, "this guy's definitely a nazi." I just prepared for the possibility that he might be.

Women have to wonder how much danger we're in every time we're alone with a man. This man was dressed as a nazi and I'm trans. It makes that worse.

Exactly this, yes. Thank you.

My genuine apologies then, I hadn’t considered that perspective.

Jerusalem posted:

I remember thinking how amazing the color photos of The War Games sets were, it was the first time I really grasped that they had to use colors like this to make the black and white actually look like it should on television.

I always find this kind of thing fascinating. Every now and then a modern movie or show will do a black & white cut/conversion for a special edition or release and it rarely ever works. Presumably because it’s missing this kind of intentional garishness just to get every shade of color to look “right” in grayscale.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but just from those gifs, I love the new console room. Not just the obvious modern take on the classic 1/2 console, but also the sheer size of it and the doors leading to who knows what.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Gatwa has apparently openly said that he’d really really like Gillian Anderson to play The Rani at some point during his run, also

God that would rule

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Finally watched it.

Goddrat I did not realize how much I missed the RTD era :allears:

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Smith and Capaldi and the relatively consistent quality of the Moffat era, but RTD is just more fun. Yeah the plot’s nonsense and the resolutions come out of nowhere, but that was a solid hour of two old friends having a crazy sci-fi adventure.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is still the streaming service that somehow released Andor, so I don’t buy into the automatic doom-and-gloom when it comes to Disney messing with Who. I trust RTD to be able to draw lines in the sand when it comes to what he thinks is nonnegotiable for the show, so I’m just gonna continue to be optimistic until proven otherwise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Time and Relative Die-men-see-ons in Spaaah-ace!

I’m imagining a Matt Berry Doctor shouting “SONIC!” every single time he uses it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

So they say in the next episode, which has been completely under wraps by the production team, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi return as "Evil Doctors."

Nope

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It probably has the illusion of being extra secretive just because it’s a) the actual anniversary special and b) most likely filmed primarily in-studio and therefore less likely to be leaked by people just spotting the actors on location like most of this year’s leaks have been.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ed: actually nevermind, I’m stupid. :doh:

I mixed up the recent leaks, The Giggle is in fact the one that sounds more like a typical anniversary special, at least on paper.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 1, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Resdfru posted:

Picking a favorite doctor is hard

The show has been incredibly lucky to get such consistently great actors for the role. Even with 10 and 6, the two Doctors I like the least, it’s extremely easy to see their appeal.

And then again, I still really enjoyed at least half of Tennant’s original run and only started to sour on him towards the end. With C-Baker it’s the two-part matter of his televised episodes being kinda poor and all of his best stories locked behind a format I just can’t get into no matter how many times I’ve tried.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I liked Clara as a character, particularly her Capaldi years, but I really hated something about the character’s last few episodes and eventual fate. I can’t even really describe it with any eloquence or actual analysis, it just did not gel for me at all and did so in a way that made me actively angry watching the episodes.

It’s almost like a combination of wasted potential and just general fatigue with Moffat constantly having his cake and eating it too when it came to his characters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
As much as I like 5’s or 13’s full tardis crews, having a single companion is just easier all around. You don’t end up with episodes where half the companions don’t have anything to do or are completely forgotten until the last act, plus it lets you focus more on other guest characters that are only relevant to the current episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I never bothered to finish Flux, can someone give a quick summary of whatever the newest episode references before I watch it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Watched it, loved it.

- My only complaint was that the aliens started off really unsettling in their first scene, then immediately lost all of that scariness entirely by turning into instagram filter giants and chasing DoctorDonna down the main corridor. Luckily they regained their unsettling nature afterward.
- I hate that these specials are making me like Tennant
- Wilf :unsmith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Hefty Leftist posted:

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i've only seen criticisms that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!"

The “criticisms” you saw were all right-wing culture war horseshit. The actual problem is that the show just became dull, wasted a good Doctor(s), and then tried to course-correct at the end by introducing incredibly stupid concepts that made no sense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Chibnall did write a decent non-passive upfront female Doctor, unfortunately it was the one whose name wasn’t in the titles.

God I hope they bring her back

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
1) it’s ostensibly still a kid/family show, so showing a desiccated corpse was probably a no-go

2) space skeletons are cool

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m not sure if I want Eccleston or Capaldi to come back for a potential special more, just because I feel like there’s so much fertile ground for their Doctors interacting with other Doctors, and for entirely different reasons. Eccleston for a pseudo War Doc redemption thing and Capaldi just to see how irritated he is by his successors.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zaroff posted:

So the Celestial Toymaker is unsurprisingly being animated. Not sure on this one…

https://x.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1732762310739997167?s=46

It looks like an unfinished TellTale game :barf:

What happened to the Archer-esque style they’ve used for lost/unfinished stories before?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

That terrible accent is going to be so distracting

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, my hope for 13 after seeing her first episode and her kooky-tinkerer-educator vibe was that we’d get Doctor Who Does the Magic School Bus, with the three companions filling out the student dynamics.

And then it wasn’t that and I just kinda stopped caring after Kerblam.

:agreed:

I really thought 13 would be a Chaotic Good Mad Scientist Doc Brown type based on her first episode .

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The way that 15 talks about how he’s fine because 14 sorted himself out, I’m assuming the whole bi-generation is a regeneration out of sync with the normal timeline because of Toymaker reality-bending shenanigans. 14 will eventually regenerate into 15 like normal, but for now they’re both around and both fully The Doctor.

The behind the scenes real world reasoning for it is probably deeply cynical and depressing, but that’s how I’m handwaving it in-universe until we find out otherwise.

I loving love Gatwa already :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I had genuinely forgotten how much fun RTD Who could be

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
- Scottish
- Short-ish
- First companion is Mel (if we stretch the definition a bit)

:thunk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

The what, now?

Ever since The Idiot’s Lantern, the show has tossed in Magpie Electric logos for TVs and such as easter eggs.

Actually, looking at the wiki, it’s been in tons of stuff I didn’t catch before.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 11, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DoctorWhat posted:

"The ones who mind don't matter, and the ones who matter don't mind."

I’m stealing this btw

Confusedslight posted:

https://twitter.com/hxll_mxtt/status/1733949055670054925?s=20
Agree 100% with this tweet, watching this bit again and it's great. Ncuti is going to be fantastic.

I know it’s often a logistical thing with filming, but I do really like having an actual moment between the actors instead of the usual regeneration scene.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Imagine being negative about any of the last three specials after the tedium we just went through with Chibnall.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gaz-L posted:

Gene Wilder before he passed, RIP.

Wilder would’ve absolutely been the American Tom Baker.

In fact I definitely remember an old video or article that went through a whole What If thing picking American actors from the same eras for each of the Doctors and Wilder was one of the better picks. Anyone remember that?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Huh, I just realized this will be the first time the current Doctor will be younger than I am. Not sure how to feel about this information.

The 14 specials and the upcoming start of Gatwa’s era have kind of reinvigorated my love of the show, so this past weekend I finally decided to dive back into the classic run for the first time in years. For a long time there’ve been two McCoy stories I deliberately avoided watching; Time and the Rani & Paradise Towers. Partly because their general reputation is either pretty mixed or poor, but also because I feel bittersweet about actually completing the McCoy era since he’s arguably my favorite Doctor.

In any case, I watched Paradise Towers and… it was decent! Fine even! Half the characters were terrible, the main antagonist went completely off the rails once he was possessed, and the plot is wafer-thin, but McCoy was great as always and even Mel wasn’t too bad.

I’ll probably jump to Pertwee next since his era is my biggest blind spot for the classic show, but I just know some of those 6/7/8-parters are going to be tough to get through unless I space them out over a whole week or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Turnerizing used to be seen as incredibly disrespectful to the original creators of black and white media and I'm really curious when, exactly, this changed.

My completely unresearched guess would be that when Turner was doing it (late 80s early 90s was the heyday iirc), a large chunk of the populace still remembered and had fond memories of the original b&w versions, hence the negative response. And that’s before even getting into the artistic and preservation aspects of altering another creative’s piece of work.

Nowadays anything that a company would colorize is probably far enough removed from the general public’s memory that you wouldn’t get anywhere near the same kind of public outcry unless it was a very well-known classic on the level of Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc. You’d still get the same artistic and preservation related arguments against doing it, but the general public probably wouldn’t give much of a poo poo and the company doing it would almost certainly now have a more marketable product that’s easier for modern audiences to digest.

I think it’s pretty depressing, but I can also understand why it’s done. Especially since, as others noted, modern colorization is far more nuanced and “seamless” than it was when Turner was doing it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It honestly wouldn’t bother me to go an entire Doctor’s run without ever seeing the Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, or Angels. If you’re gonna bring something back, give me the weirder ones or one-offs. 15 vs the Autons, 15 vs The Fendahl etc.

Or just more stories where the Doctor is facing off against a force or phenomenon that isn’t a singular antagonist or enemy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

We've barely touched the potential of The Silence. The memory aliens, mind. Not the organization. They were dealt with in two episodes and there is so much potential there.

I’m sure someone could do another interesting story with them, but for me personally they’re nearly ruined by how convoluted the associated Silence poo poo became during Moffat’s run.

They’re a creepy alien with an unsettling design and power, I don’t understand why they ever had to be more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

For whatever reason, I actually kinda love these photos and don’t really get the same kind of dread others seem to get from them. The man is 88 years old and still has that mischievous twinkle in his eye. I get a genuine sense of satisfaction that Tom’s had such a long life and still clearly feels some joy for the role he’s best known for.

Pertwee, Troughton, and Hartnell all died relatively young, especially the latter two. Tom is nearing 90, which is awesome.