Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder how long the BBC have known about the rights thing with An Unearthly Child, because while it IS the Daleks, I can't imagine the big 60th Anniversary colourised re-airing being the SECOND ever story is intentional, surely you'd want the bookend of the first ever story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I don’t know anything about British copyright law, but I’m guessing the guy at least has enough of a case to make it a headache for the BBC to fight, even if they would end up winning in the end.

It's this. They're being cautious by not uploading the first serial to iPlayer because it's gonna take longer to litigate than the next fortnight, but even with the Tories breathing down their neck, the BBC has solicitors better than one random son of a writer is gonna be able to afford.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That was some primo RTD poo poo, in mostly the positive senses of that. Just full on nonsense with the technobabble and fixing the ship undoing the cracks in the earth, but who cares because the emotions work, and basically flipping off the usual culture war shitheads by having conspicuous representation that can't be misinterpreted.

Harlock posted:

Yeah there were some references, I just meant it seems like the most peaceful regeneration that's ever happened. No amnesia, or sleepiness, or losing a step. Just a fully formed Doctor right out of the gate.

I think this is down to 3 factors:
1. Metatextual: The audience knows Tennant and RTD clearly wasn't interested in him giving a radically different performance, so there's not much point in going through the dance of 'what will the new Doctor be like'
2. Plot mechanics: The Doctor wasn't travelling with anyone, and by virtue of the narrative Sword of Damocles RTD had set up for Donna, she can't really take point on the sci-fi mystery of the episode as a companion often does in a regeneration story. Sure, Rose might've been able to, but she wasn't really the focus of the story in that way. Therefore it just makes things work smoother if the Doctor can do stuff as normal from the get-go
3. The Watsonian version: It's a pretty easy leap that because this is a form the Doctor's been in before, there's not the usual confusion or settling in process for them. He's just "Oh, this again, i know how this body and brain work, welp, better get on with it, allons-y"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Watching the Unleashed for the Star Beast and Tennant and Tate are joking that he could've done something original for Fourteen rather than play it as Ten again, like changing the accent, and now I kinda wish they'd gone with that, just to lean into that something about the whole thing is weird, like every other Doctor is Scottish for some reason

Honestly, it would've been fun if he played it as basically Ten but just using his normal accent. But on the other hand it's also amusing that he's the only Scot to play the Doctor who hasn't been allowed to use a Scottish accent. (From the little we've heard of Ncuti in the role, it sounds like he's using his normal speaking voice/accent as well)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly the modern aspect of the TARDIS actually being able to hit where the Doctor wants to go kinda wrecks the easy answer to that: The Tegan, where they get caught up in an adventure, and whoops, oh no, the Doctor can't get them back home (of course this would prevent half the season being set in modern London/Cardiff)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wouldn't be shocked if the Ood stuffy at least was some kind of foreshadowing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Ood: Hi Doctor, just wanted to let you know I hit the undo button in that space station place, an-
Doctor: Okay let's just not mention that ever again, thanks, you can go now.

lol, I was thinking more that RTD probably can't resist this ending with some kind of Ood Sigma callback. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was a bit sad that Donna immediately loved it when it was an obvious set up for the 'you redecorated?!' gag.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Melusine posted:

You can use she/her pronouns for Rose—that's what everyone in the show does, in addition to Donna explicitly calling Rose her daughter a bunch of times. I take the 'non-binary' line as RTD trying to be cute, and being well-meaning but a bit old/cis. It's speaking to an idea that transpeople transcend or are outside the gender binary, even those who are 'binary' transpeople like Rose seems to be (and Yasmin Finney is, as far as I'm aware).

It's an understanding of gender that fits with the girl power ending of Donna and Rose solving the metacrisis because women are 'better' at letting stuff go than men are.

All that said—given the state of the world, especially Britain, I'd much rather RTD come out swinging on trans issues and stumble at bit with seemingly the best of intentions than not try at all.

Yeah, it's worlds ahead of a lot of the mainstream UK media understanding of trans people, but it feels like Rusty went back to Journey's End, remembered he'd done the thing with the word 'binary' (at the time intended to mean the Doctor and Donna as an entwined pair) at the ending, and in classic RTD fashion decided to riff on it whether it actually makes much sense in relation to the rest of the story he'd written. Because (and note I'm coming at this as a dumb cis dude who tries to be educated so take with pinch of salt) Finney the actor and Rose the character both identify as women, so they're on the gender binary, just not the same side as they were assigned due to biological sex at birth, so while the idea of 3 people representing the sort of spectrum of gender identity of a Time Lord is neat, it doesn't quite track with the rest of the story and the reality of the performers involved.

But again, this is Davies Who, it's about the emotions and vibes way more than the literal text 90% of the time, and those work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

He’s the “please watch Doctor Who again” Doctor

With a hint of trying to shore up an audience heading into the actual new Doctor's run

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There are non-binary people that use she/her pronouns tbh. It's... not that strange.

This is true, and in fairness to all of Rusty's Garth Marenghi approach to subtext, the lines at the end might have been intended as putting this point across, I think it does at least highlight that English is a lovely language to get across some of these ideas, especially in how it's socially coded because using words like 'daughter' definitely prime a viewer/listener to make some assumptions rightly or wrongly.

On a related but very positive note, having reflected, I actually really like the whole sequence of the Noble women at home. It's just a very tight bit of writing in microcosm of showing contrasting aspects of a family supporting this young woman. From Donna going full mama bear on the lovely transphobic classmates deadnaming Rose in the street, to her own monologue about how an unexpected avenue of a child coming into her own is what every parent hopes for, to Sylvia being well-meaning but a bit anxious about getting things wrong and making little mistakes (notably the pronoun slip only happens AFTER Rose has left the scene so it doesn't read as a microaggression, more a legit error from someone who's trying to learn).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

eke out posted:

yeah i thought this was by far the best bit -- the grandma that's clearly trying very hard and probably thinking too much about saying the right pronouns when Rose is around but then messing up and anxiously apologizing to her daughter, that's downright subtle and realistic compared to the rest of the content.

This is the thing. Russell loves sci-fi but in a 60 minute script he really doesn't care if the McGuffins make sense, but his other work has always excelled at character focus. Honestly, I think Chibnall's problem is he's not as good at that as RTD and not as good at mystery box plotting as Moffat, so he was left with what felt like a weirdly muted halfway house that never quite nailed either of those nor found it's own way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Seeing chuds online mad about little things like a soldier being Sikh just proves how laser targeted RTD is with pissing them off and I love it

This was so just, like, contemporary Britain that it didn't even register with me as one of the things the dipshits would get up in arms about. Maybe it's just where I'm from, but the sight of a soldier or a copper in a turban and beard is just like.. unremarkable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure it's even clear they HAVE one most of the time in the new series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yes, and in the process becomes one of the most powerful cards in Magic's Commander format.

Turns out deleting the words 'at the end of turn, sacrifice this' from cards is very powerful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I will say it was a bit difficult to get a handle on the score in this episode, it played a bit like Gold's Greatest Hits at times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cleretic posted:

A general pitch of what every deck's main 'thing' is:

Fourth Doctor: A whole lot of focus on Sagas, cards that gain different effects with every turn they're on the field. (Its Sagas are all named and themed on famous multi-part stories, it's very cute.)
Tenth Doctor: Outright use of the pre-existing 'time travel' mechanic, with a lot of funkiness about playing combos out of sequence.
Thirteenth Doctor: A bunch of stuff that works with the new 'Paradox' keyword, with cards that proc their effects if another card is played form somewhere other than the hand. It loves convoluted ways to get cards in weird places and then use them.
Villains: A lot of outright destruction, as well as both board and graveyard control.

From what I've gathered from both playing and learning from friends who are more into Magic than me, the Thirteen deck is probably the most powerful of them all 'out of the box', although it's also probably the most high-skill. Meanwhile the villain deck, as I said, has a lot of individual cards that are really big deals in both its reprints and originals, but if it doesn't hit those cards specifically then it struggles to get going. (EDIT: However, all of them are pretty good, both compared to each other and other precon Commander decks.)

More specifically: The Classic Doctors deck is focused on the 'historic' mechanic which does INCLUDE Sagas, but also does stuff with artifacts and legendary creatures. And the Ten/Eleven deck actually adds a 'time travel' mechanic to mess with a few existing mechanics (suspend and vanishing) and let things happen sooner, or stop later than they otherwise would.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed their ray guns weren't even scratching the paint on Donna's hubby's cab, and then a second later the Doctor pointed out that as a plot point and not just rushed SFX.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I was "well, that's weird, they should be damaging things, at least blow up the car" but then they're revealed to be non leathal and I was "oh yea that makes sense".

The bug aliens were really neat, the practical and cgi looked solid. Though I thought through most of the special it was The Meat, not Meep.

So are we getting more Doctor/Donna adventures leading up to the new guy taking over? I had heard only about this special, but its listed as Special 1, and the ending makes it really clear there's going to be at least one more adventure.

2 more the next 2 Saturdays, then Ncuti takes over at Xmas.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness to Tennant, he's never really stopped playing the Doctor. His most recent Big Finish story came out 2 months ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not even that but it's an understandable impulse from Chibnall - just a very misguided one. It seems pretty clearly aimed at the same target as Cartmel all those years back: The Doctor's not Mysterious Enough any more, but the reasoning is different for the Timeless Child than the Other. Chibnall seems to think the issue is that we know too much about Gallifrey for the Doctor's origin to be properly mysterious so they have to be a Special Child from Somewhere Else that we don't know anything about. Except that in introducing that you have to explain way more about Gallifrey and also have to try and squeeze in why the Doctor thinks they're from Gallifrey and whoops you've just added way more lore in your attempt to obfuscate the lore. At least the Cartmel Masterplan had the element of the Doctor knowing way more than they were telling the companions/audience so there was the intrigue of 'what does he know that we don't'. The Timeless Child stuff is pointless because the show's not going to pivot to the Doctor trying to find their lost true people (partly because that's not the format and partly because that would defeat the purpose of trying to inject mystery) but that's the only logical response to the reveal so.... the show just tries to wave it's hands and hope you don't think too much about it once the episode is over.

It honestly reminds me of superhero comics. Specifically characters like the Donna Troy Wonder Girl, Power Girl or Hawkman, where every other writer tries to 'fix' their convoluted backstory but because they have to reconcile why their new version doesn't line up with previous canon it just layers on top and makes things even more muddled than just leaving it alone would.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Slyphic posted:

People keep putting words in my mouth; worship, gush.

Most of my friends are scientists of one kind or another, a couple decades in academia will do that. They don't worship interesting events in their fields, but they sure as hell one and all don't play it cool when something momentous happens. Her character's behavior just rings false for me.

The doc failing to save the universe one time doesn't tip the scales against the dozens of times they did, nor the billion smaller saves.

The cool thing wasn't the Doctor. It was the spaceship, and she was professional but engaged and excited about that. Her reaction to the Doctor was one of meeting the guy that used to do her job. She treated him like a peer, kind of like Liz Shaw did.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nonsense cameos from slightly past their prime TV presenters? RTD really is back baby!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The commentary for last week's episode is a lot of fun if only for the fact that it's clearly Phil Collinson and David Tennant: Whovians and then the other producer who is A Lady What Makes Doctor Who As Her Job.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Need a campaign going to get Jodie back to lock the door.

My first thought was maybe it locks itself when she's far enough away. I used to have a car that I thought did that. Then my dad, car person whose car it was before, told me it definitely did not do that. But the theory is sound, it can work for the TARDIS if she believes.

It's also amusing because David's the one where the idea that the Doctor can unlock the door without the key was introduced. Granted that was a Moffat script, not Rusty, but...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Resdfru posted:

I could be misremembering cause jodies run is the only one I've never watched more than once. But I remember complaining to my wife that it seemed like they were writing so many episodes where the tardis was barely in it. Like some sort of challenge to themselves to write around it or something.

Then again the tardis was barely in this last episode and I didn't really care. I'm such a hypocrite

As iconic as it is, the TARDIS only matters in so much as it's how the heroes get to The Place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As much as I like 5’s or 13’s full tardis crews, having a single companion is just easier all around. You don’t end up with episodes where half the companions don’t have anything to do or are completely forgotten until the last act, plus it lets you focus more on other guest characters that are only relevant to the current episode.

I think 2 companions is the sweet spot. Jamie and Zoe, Amy and Rory, Bill and Nardole, even Nyssa and Tegan work, because you can have a simple A/B plot structure (Doctor and Companion 1 do something, Companion 2 gets captured or goes off with the guest star). When you get above that you have problems

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

It’s 2027 and budget cuts have necessitated a new Tardis set, but it’s a barely disguised and still functional Wendy’s.

This is just the Bistromath!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zohar posted:

In the behind the scenes RTD says he played with having the first doctor involved somehow since it's an anniversary ep but decided to just stick closer to the episode's main idea, which is probably for the best

I wouldn't be shocked if they pull out a bit of reshot material from the original Toymaker story using NPH and Bradley next week in a flashback

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

That scene in the hallway where Fourteen loses in and starts screaming while hitting the wall... it's rare to see the Doctor THAT angry, and that's a scene that'll stick with me.

There were more moments that will stick with me in the past two episodes than in all of Chibnall's run.

Yeah, that scene made me go "Oh right, Tennant can act"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, there's a weird trend in the last decade+ of cinematographers and sound editors sort of looking down on traditional TV as a medium. They shoot and mix for darkened rooms on giant 4K displays or projectors, with 7.1 systems. It actually makes them seem kind of limited and bad at their jobs if they can't adapt to how the audience is going to experience the piece and achieve their goals within that brief.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 3, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

It would be crazy if Ncuti doesn't inherit this version of the TARDIS considering the sheer level of size and detail in it's design.

It looks like he is, just they're gonna add some props to the central area.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do find it interesting that Murray's been threading I Am The Doctor in these episodes, seeing as that was Matt's theme, and it wasn't used for Capaldi or Jodie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Something that annoyed me about later Capaldi was his transformation into Cool Dad Doctor. It was like he walked onto set and went "I am going to wear what I came in on, and give me sunglasses and let me play my guitar.

'annoyed me' is a weird way to spell 'was rad as gently caress'.

I think trying to make Capaldi into the second coming of Pertwee like Moffat was trying early on was jamming a square peg into a round hole. The whole 'uni lecturer who stayed up until 4am at the student union doing mushrooms and jamming on his guitar' vibe fit him way better.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

"Anyone for Dodgems?" is one of the greatest Doctor entrances ever put to screen.

"Of course the real question is: Where did he get the cup of tea?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cleretic posted:

As much as I don't like Kerblam, I think its message is positively salvageable compared to the worst of Capaldi.

The best you can do with Kerblam is to find a message against corporate overreach that's not really as angry as it should be. The best you can do with Kill the Moon and In the Forest of the Night is claim that they don't have a message because the one that's there is too awful.

Honestly, I know it's unpopular, but Peter Harness might be a worse writer for Who than Chibnall. I know people love the Zygon two parter for some reason but I kind of hate the ending? The whole monologue that amounts to the most wishy-washy 'why can't we get along' without actually thinking about any of the underlying reasons for conflict.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't they originally do a toxx to review all of Tim Allen's lovely Fox sitcom and then did another one that led to doing Who?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dabir posted:

idk what's so cool about the special weapons dalek but it just is always fun to see

it has a big gun that goes boom, op

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Small detail from last episode: I really loved the scene with the Doctor just screaming and lashing out after the Donna entity got him to lower his guard and open up about the Flux and Timeless Child stuff, both for Tennant's raw performance, but also for the, I assume very deliberate, choice to have him kick the wall 5 times. I'd bet they wanted more than 3 because rule of three would make that seem too controlled, too rote, but if they go to four, the fandom would be fuckin weirdoes, so welp, gotta go to 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Boxturret posted:

I can't decide should count!

The Master even sings along! (Genuinely my favourite detail. I assume the experience on set was Simm just singing Scissor Sisters at the top of his lungs to utter silence as he hit his marks and choreo.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 7, 2023