Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I thought the series number reset was because it’s being co-produced by Bad Wolf now, rather than BBC Wales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The decimation of Earth's population to the sounds of Rogue Traders and the subsequent humiliation of the Doctor accompanied by Scissor Sisters were my RTD highlights. So stupid. So mid-00s.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

quote:

Gatwa texted his mother, and then spent the next three months telling strangers in members’ club Soho House, while drunk, that he would be the next Doctor.

I love this. :3:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The Mirror’s reporting that an Eighth Doctor spinoff with Paul McGann is in the works.

It’s The Mirror, so… yeah.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Does anyone know for certain when the new ep hits D+? I read that it’s either as it airs in the UK or once it’s finished, but I don’t think I’ve seen any official confirmation.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

That was big dumb emotional fun which is 100% guaranteed to piss off hateful dickheads. I love it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Someone on Cookd & Bombd pointed out that a 'double dagger' (as in the Meep's Double Dagger Drive) is also the name of the ‡ symbol.

‡ used to be how the Radio Times would denote a repeat in their TV listings. :golfclap:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

According to this week’s Radio Times:

quote:

THE TIME ROTOR
The central column of the Doctor's ship moves up and down with the opening and closing of white "petals" within a glass tube. Behind the scenes, this is operated manually by one unlucky member of crew. "We attached the top to a pulley," says designer Phil Sims.
"Whoever's our art department assistant at the time has the joy of sitting up there and pulling on the rope."

Rope-powered tardis! :)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

https://youtu.be/QjAm6HuGnmQ?si=pZODQ_CjlxDO2GTo

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

The commentary for last week's episode is a lot of fun if only for the fact that it's clearly Phil Collinson and David Tennant: Whovians and then the other producer who is A Lady What Makes Doctor Who As Her Job.

There's something quite endearing about how seriously they take it.

From an on-set report in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine:

quote:

"Hey, there's David Tennant," says Russell, as DT enters the gazebo.
He comes bearing gossip. "I'll give you a little Doctor Who snippet I've discovered today," he says.
"What?!" Russell leans in.
"Jodie," says David, pausing for the sheer drama of it -
"Oh! Yes?"
"- never unlocked the TARDIS."
Russell gasps. "What?!! NO!"
"I went to use the lock and they said, 'Oh, she never used it."
"BUT-!" says Russell.
"Never used it!!" repeats David.
"Did she just push? Or did she mime? Has she got a phobia?"
"I don't know," says David - Jodie's a close mate, but he's clearly reeling - "but that TARDIS lock doesn't catch on anything. This," he says, holding up the TARDIS key, "is spinning in thin air, when I do that," he adds, miming turning it in the lock. "Isn't that weird? She never locked it either! Madness." Russell is astounded. "Have you heard this? Phil? Phil! David, tell Phil."
Phil enters the gazebo. David tells Phil. Phil looks shook. "She never used a key??"
Three grown men - grown fans - sit in a gazebo in Camden, in silent disbelief. Eventually, Russell speaks: "You have to lock the door. There are always monsters trying to get in."
:3:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I'm watching Rose just for the hell of it.

I completely forgot that the first thing Rose does after meeting The Doctor is search the internet for 'doctor' :dumb:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

All that Disney money and they still can’t make running on a CGI set look real. 😂

Anyway it was nice to see old Wilf and I liked the body horror stuff. A strange episode.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, however if the original 2005 run is anything to go by, Rusty looks like this by the end of a season apparently:

I would hope that a bigger budget to work with and fewer episodes to produce per series will keep him from burning out. I seem to recall from his book that most of the issues came from making 14 eps a year for £20.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Good god that was hammy as gently caress. I loved it.

People are absolutely screaming right now about the new bi Doctor but whatever. I hope they explain at some point why he doesn’t have any trousers on.

Edit: poo poo I just realised they split their clothes. I’m an idiot.

Creature fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 9, 2023

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

They explained it in the episode? Each doctor is wearing half the clothes. Fourteen got the undershirt, waistcoat and trousers, Fifteen got the dress shirt, socks and underpants.

Yeah I just realised that. I didn’t notice that Fourteen was missing clothes because I’m a moron.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Hunter Leopardson posted:

Enjoyable enough except for the cringey lipsyncing music scene. One RTDism I hoped would be left behind

Horrible events soundtracked to cheesy pop is one of my favourite RTD things :)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Loved his explanation for Clara.

"She got killed.... by a bird!"

That was a real ‘can you believe this poo poo??’ moment. 😄

Check that first shot of the Doctor in the Christmas trailer. Spinning around in a club wearing a floaty skirt. :2monocle:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

MikeJF posted:

That big unit HQ set looked far too well built, I assume it was done as part of spinoff development.

Especially the introduction of that weird robot guy. It felt very ‘here’s the gang!' to me.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

That Goblin song is absolute shite, it’s perfect.

Also I’m pretty sure Baldrick ought to receive a credit for some of those lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

This is definitely a new era of Doctor Who. 😶