Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Already seen at least one person mortally offended by it. "Vandalizing Genesis of the Daleks".

Get the gently caress out of here. I particularly liked when the Doctor even says this is messing up the timelines and canon, showing RTD knew exactly who this would upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Timby posted:

Jesus Christ, Internet. It's a four-minute comedy special for charity.

Same kind of people who thought Curse of Fatal Death was 'wasting' regenerations, I assume

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Hm. On the one hand, I like the thematic and visual connection between creator and creation. But the depiction of disability as a sign of villainy has been a concern about Davros for a while. Right now I think I like the old design better, but I'm not going to get upset about it, especially if RTD is trying to wipe things a bit clean for a more accessible show.

It's not just Davros, either. The number of disfigured and disabled villains in the series is pretty high. Sharaz Jek, Magnus Creel, the Master, hell even Morbius. And it's almost always their disfigurement is a result of their own hubris, or it's what made them evil to start with.

Probably no more so than any other media that's been going this long - it's rife in things like 2000ad too - but it still rears its head in the new series now and then. I think it's a positive change the way RTD is talking about it, and there's nothing to stop them bringing back post-accident Davros any time they feel like it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Watching the original Genesis of the Daleks on Britbox last night, but when it got to the middle of Tom's "Do I have the right?" speech, Tennant's TARDIS smashed into the Dalek breeding chamber and obliterated it

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

In fairness, I've read at least 3 or 4 attempts at constructing a chronological history of the Daleks, using only what we're shown or told in the show, and I don't think any one of them agree on much of anything. Chucking another bit of historical nonsense into a history that's basically mythic and fuzzy anyway isn't going to alter much.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's not her sole defining characteristic! She also really really really hates anything gun-shaped.

She had like half an episode of looking like she was going to be some amazing mad steampunky mechanic type, building bonkers gadgets for stuff, but that seemed to drop down to normal background levels for the Doctor pretty quickly

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, RTD was always better at this. During his tenure it always felt like there was something happening, be it the show itself airing, a trailer, the Christmas special, Torchwood, Totally Doctor Who, one of those CBBC animated shows, etc etc. And the beeb was always telling you those things were happening. They even got Big Finish actively in on things, with the Eighth Doctor Adventures getting broadcast on Radio 7 I think before they got released on CD?

It was more they made the stories with him and Susan Sheridan in FOR the radio, and then released them as audioplays. But yeah, when the RTD hype machine gets rolling, he never messes about.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Fantastic stuff. And apparently I have a new all-time favorite console room, just from that few minutes. Sorry, 12.

Adorable how excited the Doctor is over it. Or should I say how excited Tennant is. After all, he never got his own console room.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus, you know I never really thought about that but you're right, he had 9's and it stayed with him his entire run.

Writing him running about when he first goes in must have been easy; just lead David up to the set with a blindfold on.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Ohhh, so it wasn't coral, it was limescale.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Now I can't remember where I saw this, but a 'double dagger' is another name for a diesis, or ‡

The Radio Times used to use that symbol to denote a TV listing was a repeat.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Resdfru posted:

I'm super excited for him too. It also makes me sad when I think about how Whittaker and Dhawan were wasted by Chibnall. I really hope Davies finds a way to bring them back at least once.

Also, what are the odds the timeless child stuff is never mentioned again. Probably high since aside from stuff Moffat set up himself during Davies v1 every show runner just erases the board and starts over

The only trouble with dumping the Timeless Child is Jo Martin's Doctor would be left high and dry if it's retconned. And I think she's the one thing from Chibnall's run that pretty much everyone liked.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Am I the only one who shouted "Ahh, it made the noise!" when the TARDIS landed at the end and did the classic 80s era landing chime?

loving brilliant. Best console ever.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

"Oh, und Rory, her husband. He also died, ja?" *snip*

"Yeah, well. He did that a lot. He got better!"

"Well, that's alright then!"

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Well, now we know why Adric asked for sodium chloride. He wasn't being a smug little poo poo, he was trying to avoid invoking the Toymaker.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

How on EARTH did that last scene with Tennant not have Donna saying "Well, I suppose you'll take off eventually, like you always do." And 14 replies, "I don't want to go."

I mean, it'd be cringy, but exactly what I expect from RTD

E: I think that's the first time I've ever sniped a page. Have the official BBC photo of the new Doctor's package as a prize.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 10, 2023

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Apparently in the commentary RTD says as far as he's concerned, the bi-regeneration is basically like a timeline split, one where he regenerated, one where he didn't, except they're both still there.

Also, he suggests, as far as he's concerned, this bi-regeneration is so unusual and cataclysmic to the doctor's timeline that it affects all his previous selves too. There's a version of each of his incarnations out there as they'd be if they'd never regenerated.

(Tennant cuts in with: "McCoy is still in the morgue")

I dunno, that idea is a lot more palatable sounding. More of a "I'll bring back whichever Doctors I want for an episode, I don't care how old they are now!" feel to it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

lines posted:

I think I don't like this but maybe I'm too fan-brained to appreciate it? It just feels too messy to me, in a way that means it feels hard to grasp onto meaning. I guess what I'm saying is I hope bigeneration doesn't replace regeneration because I think it's probably less strong dramatically in the long run. Was fine with this time though! Was great!

I like it because it's messy. Fans get way too into the weeds sometimes.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I liked the little hints that the Toymaker is a little bit... well, racist. But only slightly. The outrageous comedy accents, the "you must be used to sunnier climes" thing. Kinda hints at his previous story.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

TL posted:

My one complaint: who the hell wears a long sleeve Henley under a long sleeve dress shirt?

You've seen how skinny he is. He needs all the layers he can.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I think the usual thread wish is Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey and Tamsin Grieg get the TARDIS. Each week, one of them gets a turn as the Doctor

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I can't find it now, but RTD said on digitalspy or radio times or somewhere that he'd anticipated fans would worry about whether Ncuti had the original or the duplicate or IF it's a duplicate, and assures us Ncuti has the same old TARDIS the doctor has always had.

And then does one of his hinty things about how we'll have 'undisputable proof of that' this season.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

That goblin in the music video is a) called Janis Goblin, which is amazing, and b) has red nail polish. I'm just saying.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

That's tragic, their lunches were mythically famous, like you'd gone to Milliways for dinner

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I remember there being all kinds of other stuff too - Chris' dad was terminally ill, Billie Piper was going through her divorce and he was her ad hoc shoulder to cry on, and then he was having problems with eating disorders and weight loss. Without even the behind the scenes problems he was having a miserable time of it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The tv movie really was ahead of it’s time

To be fair, the lovely healthcare he got killed him more than- oh, right

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Some of the fan-made stuff is incredible, though. I wish Moffat or Davies had noticed this one and gave us this kind of shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNEjx6XUbfQ

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Maybe now that they have Disney+ level budgets they can do cool effects like this

Actually, looking at his channel, it looks like they hired him some years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwevZzjptYg

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I think if Chibnall's run had been a few years later, we'd all be squinting at it suspiciously as if AI wrote it. I think it was The_Doctor or Jerusalem on here that compared the two, the initial rush of exciting ideas that gradually go nowhere as the AI forgets where the story actually started.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Nope. That's it. That's the one-paragraph summary of all those disappointing years.

It kind of applies to every episode individually, too, even the good ones are rocky in places. I don't feel we got a decently paced story with a solid conclusion until Eve of the Daleks, and that's a hell of a late entry to finding a good pace for your show.

The start of Jodie's run, I felt it had such potential, and whatever flaws there were, they'd shake themselves out over the season. Okay, well, the next season then. Ah...

I think it's actually worse than just 'poo poo Doctor Who'; it's 'tantalizingly close to being good Doctor Who', and I feel just a pass or more two through the writer's room or something and there'd be some genuine classics in her run.

Anyway, then this giant Welshman barged back into the room accompanied by Murray Gold, and all is well again

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

When we were about two thirds of the way through:

Mrs Wolfechu: So, who's the old lady going to turn out to be from the old series? (Anita Dobson)

Me: Oh, I think she's just the neighbor. If Russell wanted us to be guessing, the camera would linger on her dramatically and she'd say something mysterious.

(Ten minutes later) Oh.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I would pay good money if Mrs. Flood turned out to be Iris Wildthyme. The odds don't seem good, mind.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

It was like my third read of that before I spotted John Hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Missy had a Vortex Manipulator for when she didn't have a TARDIS.

(What other personal mass-produced space/time machines have there been on the show besides TARDISes and SIDRATs and Vortex Manipulators? The show seems to lean on Vortex Manipulators a lot these days even though those are just the lovely stuff humans came up with in the 51st century.)

Time Rings, which seem to be the time travel method of choice for the CIA. At least, I don't recall seeing anyone who's even implied to be one of them turning up to give the Doctor a mission in a TARDIS. And which seem to be a pre-programmed version of the Vortex Manipulators.