Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
*clutches his copy of Tomb of the Cybermen*

They'll never take this black-and-white serial away from me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

"I am the Master, and you WILL FastPass me."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Warthur posted:

Also, although Peri is basically unconscious for good chunks of Androzani, for the segment where she's with Five they have this really neat chemistry - it feels like they've been travelling together for years. Then you get the Peri and Six insultathon.

This is one of those reasons I'm iffy on the Five/Peri audios - you have Five sacrificing himself for someone he barely knows in Caves, but then you have tens of audios with them (and Erimem - The Eye of the Scorpion, The Church and the Crown, and The Kingmaker are some of my favorites) having adventures. Granted most fans wouldn't have listened to Big Finish, but it's one of those canon/not-canon things I guess.

So, if Caves to Twin is the biggest drop in quality from one episode to the next, which pair is the biggest jump in quality?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I asked a friend...

Drop in quality - Twice Upon A Time to The Woman Who Fell to Earth. Nothing against Jodie, everything against Chibnall.

Rise in quality - Inferno to Terror of the Autons. Inferno could have been told in half the time and the monster was weak.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Couldn't disagree with this more if I tried

I agree. The story was too long, but drat it, that shot of the Brig turning around with the eyepatch almost makes up for it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How about this one for an uptick?

Delta and the Bannermen to Dragonfire.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 11, 2023

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
If you want depressing to kinda cheerful, Death in Blackpool + Relative Dimensions.

And even though it's not a Christmas story, if you want madcap cheer, The One Doctor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So what I'm hearing is, we need to come up with a heist to obtain these privately owned episodes.

Doctors Eleven?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I hope he gets a pair of shoes that fit perfectly!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My YouTube suggestions somehow became flooded with "hot takes" and "we need to talk abouts" concerning the 'new' Davros and how it's a sign of how 'woke' the show has become.

Or maybe, you know, it's a hell of a lot easier on the actor and more feasible as the stage crew to have Davros walking around instead looking menacing instead of in the travelling machine with hours and hours of makeup, especially in HD?

The only things Doctor Who fans hate more than critics is the show itself.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 22, 2023

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Happy 60th birthday, Doctor Who! :toot:

I look forward to sixty more years of arguments!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
As soon as I saw Tennant leap through the hole in the brick wall in the steelworks, everything felt right.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Posted without context.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
All I'm saying is, there's precedent for the ending...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Have we ever seen the interior of the Master's TARDIS?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

HD DAD posted:

After Ruby, Gatwa’s next companion should be Matt Berry

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 30, 2023

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
drat it, you click on one "DOCTOR WHO IS WOKE AND RUINED! FANS OUTRAGED" YouTube video just to see what the idiots are saying and the next thing you know the algorithm FLOODS you with them.

I did like this comment, though.

quote:

This is the same show that had a sonic trowel, deadly Christmas trees, 3D glasses that let you see void stuff and more.

Outside of technology, we've had the moon being an egg, bees actually being aliens, a sentient universe taking the form of a talking frog... and that's just from New Who.

If you draw the absurdity line at wheelchair with projectiles I think you might be watching the wrong show.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I got major classic-era vibes from this episode - minimal actors, utilizing the same set design with different lighting, and you could easily break it into two/three episodes.

An absolutely cracker.

Also, the long hallway reminded me of the connecting hallway in Event Horizon.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
That scene in the hallway where Fourteen loses in and starts screaming while hitting the wall... it's rare to see the Doctor THAT angry, and that's a scene that'll stick with me.

There were more moments that will stick with me in the past two episodes than in all of Chibnall's run.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Anyone upset at "THAT'S NOT HOW REGENERATION" works?

I guess you could say they're... salty.

RTD didn't NEED to explain how the Toymaker got here, but he did (an episode earlier!), and I appreciate that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“Honey.”

And I was instantly on board.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Paradise Towers was good! It has a lot of problems that the show had around that time, but it is one of the McCoy stories I always enjoyed in spite of any flaws. Time and the Rani however.... oof.

My first Seven story was Ghost Light and to this day I STILL have no idea what the hell was going on!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
What did people think about the brief color inserts of the Toymaker and the First Doctor when Fourteen realized who was behind the counter?

I liked how it was something for the fans AND something for people who never knew about the Toymaker before - a brief flash of "oh, this guy's from the Doctor's past."

Wonder if it was just to showed off the found footage or something that they might use going forward for "old" villains.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wolfechu posted:

That goblin in the music video is a) called Janis Goblin, which is amazing, and b) has red nail polish. I'm just saying.

Aha! A reference to the female Gremlin in Gremlins 2: The New Batch!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Big Finish has sandwiches, but not the ones you were expecting.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Five days left until the new Doctor's adventure... this'll be the best Christmas Walford's ever had!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I visit with family at that time of year so I don't know if I'll get a chance to watch it live or even the day of, but I can't wait to see it, it's gonna be loving great.

I visit family on Christmas Day as well… which makes the drive the best time to listen to The Chimes of Midnight again!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Last Christmas also has the bit where the Doctor is aghast at us having made a movie entitled Alien

"No wonder everyone keeps invading you."

Probably one of Moffat's best jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5jSRtwk6iM

It felt for the briefest of moments that Capaldi was truly channeling Malcolm Tucker.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pinwiz11 posted:

My beloved Chefs are playing the detestible Raiders opposite the episode release so i have to wait three hours to watch it Xmas is ruined...

:v:

The Chefs? I didn't know the Chiefs were that banged up to be starting their caterers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I loved the pure manic joy Fifteen is infused with.

Learning the language of rope!