Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
RTD is pure chaotic neutral Doctor Who and dear god I’ve missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want canon to collapse in on itself so hard that each episode is basically just a shitpost where anything and everything could happen. Just a veritable mess of ever-shifting timelines. The Doctor regenerates into Colin Baker, only to be Gatwa again next episode. Skaro is Earth’s second moon that has always been there. gently caress, have a companion change mid-scene, with zero acknowledgement. Doctor Who will truly be free when nothing matters.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's David Graham, the original dude.

Honestly I was surprised too ngl

It’s loving wild that, for a show so entrenched in pop culture for the last 60 years, they can just ring up the original VA for the Daleks.

e: or maybe it wasn’t him. But apparently the guy is still working.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Just once I want the Watcher to inexplicably reappear, t-posing in the background somewhere, just doing what he does, watching.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This is aggressively Russel T Davies and I welcome it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Not gonna lie, this gave me Tim and Eric vibes for a few seconds before the intro got into its groove lol.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
He’s the “please watch Doctor Who again” Doctor

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mooseontheloose posted:

yah and they're doing a real good job of it.

Oh they’re doing a fantastic job of it. This episode couldn’t have been more RTD unless he judo-chopped the camera man and directly screamed to the audience “I’m back, gayer, taller, and you cannot stop me”.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In the finale, Gatwa finds himself trapped on an intergalactic talk show being forcibly interviewed about his life. The host says they will now take a question from “The Boss”, and ominous music builds as the spotlight focuses on someone in the audience.

Chris Chibnall stands up.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
God I forgot about CyberBrig. That was just…no.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
After Ruby, Gatwa’s next companion should be Matt Berry

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I do kinda love the concept of UNIT being deployed to meet the Doctor, but no one is sure which one it’s going to be.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
12 in his ratty tee and hoodie is my favorite Doctor.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I get mad sometimes listening to the 6 audios because they’re a taste of what could have been if Colin was given stellar scripts. He’s the kind of actor that just elevates anything he’s given.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah he was upset with Keith Boak, who directed Rose and the Slitheen two-parter. Apparently he was a massive rear end in a top hat, but Eccleston may have placed some blame on RTD and crew by proxy for not doing anything about him.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Clara was a cardboard dud with Smith, but her arc of slowly becoming a reckless and sometimes untrustworthy wannabe-Doctor that eventually gets her killed was real good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s 2027 and budget cuts have necessitated a new Tardis set, but it’s a barely disguised and still functional Wendy’s.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I skipped out on Chibnall’s run halfway through series 11, but the thing I gather most about it was “events happen, no one really responds to them in a meaningful way, and it just kinda ends”. Also Chibnall tried to crowbar in his revised Cartmel Master Plan that he’s had in his head since 1989, but it was a train wreck, but also somehow impressively boring?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

Watching Unleashed they were showing some clips from RTD's first run and it kind of hit me for a loop that we were seeing stuff that was originally shot in Standard Definition.

Man, I remember when it was a Big Deal when Doctor Who went high def with Planet of the Dead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Hefty Leftist posted:

did it really get that bad at the end of moffat and through chibnall? i got tired of moffat's Very Special Characters and his endless overarching pretentious storylines that never went anywhere that wasn't dumb as hell. i'm guessing that never changed for him, but Capaldi seems like a good Doctor.

i've only seen criticisms of Chibnall that boil down to "it's gone woke!!! its all about The Message!!!" which are dumb so surely there's more nuance to why it was so bad

Actually, End Stage Moffat was really good imo. S9 and S10 with Capaldi was a high mark for the series, and made the quality drop all the more apparent when Chibnall took over.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

Since they've got so much space they should just pile up souvenirs from his various adventures over time.

*The souvenirs are companions and they’ve been absentmindedly trapped there for so long that the ever increasing population forms a small town with shops and a functioning government inside the Tardis.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I adored 12’s sympathy flashcards in Under the Lake/Before the Flood.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Random Stranger posted:

You know, I'm okay with keeping this one for last. Or, you know, not at all.

I am looking forward to the shittiest of lovely assholes getting mad when they edit it.

It's perfect Chibnall. "What is everyone had a guardian dog instead of a guardian angel!"

"So everyone walks around with dogs to protect them..."

"No! The dogs are in space!"

"So this is another planet and there are space dogs...."

"No! It's earth! Today! Wouldn't it be cool if you had a space dog watching over you right now!"

"What?"

I didn’t watch past the first half of S11, but I feel like I could just get the Chibnall Who experience by downing a bunch of Ambien.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It wasn’t just scheduling, IIRC. I remember reading stuff about Chibs falling out with people due to poor script quality, directors vowing never to work on Who again, and Jodie stepping in to play diplomat between Sacha Dhawan and production. Not to mention the Sea Devils special being an especially notable clusterfuck (still haven’t seen it).

I’ll need to dig back through and find context at some point again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, my hope for 13 after seeing her first episode and her kooky-tinkerer-educator vibe was that we’d get Doctor Who Does the Magic School Bus, with the three companions filling out the student dynamics.

And then it wasn’t that and I just kinda stopped caring after Kerblam.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Screaming UNIT balls followed by Fourteen shouting “never mind them they’re dead” got a very dark laugh out of me lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Throughout all three of these specials, I could just feel RTD absolutely not giving a poo poo and writing whatever came to mind while laughing maniacally about it.

And it was unsurprisingly wonderful.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jisforjosh posted:

We're definitely in a universe now where myth and superstition are real. Why else would UNIT place the Toy maker's box in the deepest vault in SALT

Yeah I kinda love where this might be going. RTD taking the Flux and having the Doctor essentially doing an incantation at the end of the universe, which causes all kinds of unforeseen fuckery.

It’s basically a license to do whatever (not that the show hasn’t done that anyway, but hey).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Narsham posted:

“YOU get a Season 6b! YOU get a Season 6b! Everybody gets a Season 6b!”

I want a mini series of Santa Clause Colin Baker as Six running around with Peri so bad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the bit about the fifteenth Doctor being older made no sense to me either. They're the same age!

Timey wimey

As I understood it, 15’s a bit of a paradox. He’s the next in line after 14, but he exists as he is because of the period of healing 14 is about to do.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

I'm tired and may be misreading you but if 'the bit that was left to the side' was 11, 12 and 13, then that sucks

I don’t like that read either. However in 30 years time, I get the feeling that Tennant will be held in the same regard as Tom Baker as “everyone’s Doctor”. The Smith-Capaldi-Whittaker run will probably be our version of the Davison-Baker-McCoy era, in terms of cultural memory.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know this probably wasn’t the case, but I like to think Rusty wrote all three of these specials in a procrastination-induced 24 hour span, running purely on panic and caffeine, and occasionally screaming “why did I agree to do this again” to himself.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
With a wink and a warm smile, Fifteen regenerates into a scowling Joel McHale.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Give it a decade, and they’ll be able to feed every classic fuzzy black and white episode into an AI upscaler and pop out 4k results with perfect color as if it were filmed on 35mm.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m actually taking this time to catch up on what I missed of Whittaker’s run, since I stopped after Kerblam. And I’m…enjoying it? Have I been Chibnall-brained? :(

It’s definitely got issues, but I like the slightly more…grounded feel? Like after 10 seasons of RTD and Moffat, the show decided to pop a valium and just shoot for a chill B- for most stories.

Anyway I dub the Chibnall years the Star Trek: Voyager of Doctor Who. Looking forward to retroactively writing it off after I watch Flux lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the Cybermen are always laughably terrible unless they’re the Mondas Cybermen. Then they are loving horrifying.

*Tomb of the Cybermen is an exception

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I assume we would have gotten more Tasha Lem if Moffat’s “extended arc on Trenzalore” plan didn’t get derailed due to Smith wanting to leave.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I kinda wish they’d let the outgrowing-the-Doctor arc with Amy and Rory come to its natural conclusion. Instead of nonsensical Angel time travel, just have the adventure end with them going “yeah no that seals it, we love you but we just want a quiet life - come by for tea sometime, but no more”.

Then again I also wish Moffat stuck to his guns and just let Clara die via her own overconfidence with no take-backs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“This culturally relevant person who flies just under the radar enough that nobody has realized he has to be like, 170 at this point” would make a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn’t be mad at HBC as 16.