Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Something that annoyed me about later Capaldi was his transformation into Cool Dad Doctor. It was like he walked onto set and went "I am going to wear what I came in on, and give me sunglasses and let me play my guitar.

Also, about the timeless child, using She pronouns for the pre kidnapped Doctor, was that implying Jodie was actually the original form of the Doctor?

No. It was just a random child actress with no lines who regenerates into a dozen other random kids with no lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I actually really, REALLY love that the whole mystery with "Why was 14 Tennant again" turned out be just straight up "The Doctor is deeply loving traumatised and running on fumes and essentially regressed into something familiar to try and find comfort".

That was genuinely very touching and I didn't see it coming at all. You managed one hell of a job Rusty.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Tennant did such a fantastic job of of selling 14 as someone who has been run ragged and about to break too. You could really feel it over the course of these episodes just how much The Doctor had all this built up emotion that was now seeping out through the cracks.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Was also really nice to see Mel get to be a serious, competent professional on screen who wasn't just there to shriek and run around.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Infinitum posted:

"Ok, 'kid'. I love you.. get out"
https://i.imgur.com/4jS15fi.mp4

Love the trend of each Doctor really not being able to stand each other for long :v:

This bit made me go "Oh hell yes!" for the next episode. Goddamn that man has style.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Time itself got extremely melty and the rules of what are and aren't possible now have a lot more give in them. The whole point of it is that it doesn't make quite make sense because the fundamental structure of the universe has broken down and is lot a less rigid around the edges.

ie: Doctor Who isn't even bothering to pretend anymore. It's just a fantasy adventure series that runs on space magic.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Agreed.

I really hope at some point Tennant Doctor gets folded back into Gatwa Doctor. I understand how important it was for the Doctor to come face to face with themself and love themself, but the Doctor is a Person, no matter how exaggerated. They have A life, not two. We don't have two. It loses dramatic cohesion.

And also if they keep using Tennant Doctor then it is, frankly, undermining the first black Doctor. No way around it

Second.

Just because Timeless Child was poo poo doesn't mean Jo Martin wasn't the first black Doctor.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I thought it was nice that The Doctor got to give himself a hug for once. That was very sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Jodie is absolutely lovely and I really do hope that one day she can get a run of Doctor Who scripts that will truly let her shine. It feels really unfair that by far her best episode, the one where Thirteen finally felt like the Doctor she should always have been allowed to be, was her last.