Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEkC6InjWQ8

(new thread, that's weird)

Hey, remember Doctor Who? You know, Doctor Who? It's back for the 60th Anniversary! Russell T Davies is back! David Tennant is back! Catherine Tate is back! Beep the Meep is...well, not back, exactly, but you know what I mean.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "why is it 2008 again?" Well, I don't know. What I DO know is that this is only for three sixty-minute episodes before we start the Ncuti Gatwa era of Doctor Who, for which they're already working on episodes to air in 2025. Hey, remember how the last showrunner waited until the season was over before starting work on the next one? Yeah, that was bad. Not as bad as the new international television deal, but we'll get to that in due time.

The three specials will air on Saturdays, starting November 25th, and a Christmas special will air...around...Christmas? It's been a while, I don't remember how to do these things.

The previous thread can be found here. Now, the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
We have a designated spoiler thread that is thankfully relevant once again. If you think it's a spoiler, don't post it in this thread!

HOWEVER, as soon HRH the K (R.I.P. Liz 2) is able to watch it on BBC One, it is no longer a spoiler. KEEP THIS IN MIND while you try to keep attention while the Doctor is buffering with a wacky look on his face.

WHERE DO I START?
These upcoming specials are as good a time as any! Maybe. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO?
Ah, the elephant in the room. In the UK, everything is normal and you can watch Doctor Who on BBC One and the iPlayer. Outside of the UK, though, it gets complicated.

BritBox is the place to watch almost every existing episode of the original series. In addition, you're in luck if you're an American, as you can watch the original run of Doctor Who on honest-to-goodness TV (Retro TV and some PBS stations)! For the current run, new episodes will not be on TV, but instead streamed on Disney+. With that being said, AS OF THIS TYPING I can still watch Doctor Who on Max here in the United States, and Australians can still watch Doctor Who on Binge and Foxtel Now. It's entirely possible this confusing situation continues onward (Max's contract with Doctor Who reportedly lasts until next series).

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU-RAYs?
Just for the bonus features alone.

THE ALL-NEW GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are literally THOUSANDS of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. In previous threads, I would pour over all the individual lines and describe them. With the great restructure of Big Finish lines, though, I have to adapt. So, here are some bullet points:

-Doctors 1-12 have their own individual lines now, although obviously the first three Doctors are not played by Hartnell, Troughton, and Pertwee. Here's a handy guide: if it's current series Doctor Who, "Adventures" means it's the actual actors, while "Chronicles" means it's not.
-The Companion Chronicles & the Early Adventures generally do not feature the Doctor, and some of them are essentially audiobooks with sound effects. Check the cast list if you want to know which is which.
-If you have ever asked "what about <random character x>?", boy are you in luck! There are so many spin-offs featuring characters both familiar and unfamiliar that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a series that makes you say "THEY got a series?" Some are good, some are bad, most are unremarkable.
-Everyone has a taste, so don't rely on other people's opinions. For example, I don't care for or about Charlotte Pollard and her spin-off, but some people do! Some crazy people enjoy the story Nekromanteia - you do you!

THE DISCORD
Here it is. The future is now!

FINALLY, let's take a look back....all the way to ten years ago! Before the Day of the Doctor came the Night of the Doctor, and this was the reaction:

DJ Ramshackle posted:

HOLY loving poo poo

"I'm a doctor, just not the one you were expecting"

And now you know...the REST of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Senor Tron posted:

Apparently 15ths first season is gonna be branded as Season 1, so look forward to that confusing naming scheme.

It's Season 40 to me :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TinTower posted:

No you can't. :negative:

Is the Beginning DVD still in print? Get that!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, so it's been confirmed that Doctor Who will NOT have anything earlier than this year's specials on Disney+.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You can still watch it on Max :ssh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Liz Shaw was just a weird choice for a companion. If your companion knows as much as the Doctor does, they can’t ask the questions the audience wants to ask!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Step down: Heaven Sent to Hell Bent.

The Caves of Androzani Part 1 would be a step down from Heaven Sent. This is my belief.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
To be fair, the crew of the USS Enterprise was right to intervene on the Nazi planet and tell them they were wrong.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
A Time Heist, if you will.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Doctor didn’t know Jenny was still alive, though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My username is taken from Mobile Suit Gundam as one of the many pseudonyms of Char Aznable, and he was affiliated with the Principality of Zeon (he later defected and became a good guy). There are plenty of Goons here with the word 'Darth' in their username. Sometimes we just like to pretend to be villains because you can be the person you're not.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Classic series Doctor Who is now on Tubi in the States and Canada.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Doctor Who also has been streaming free on Pluto for as long as I can recall - I don't mention it in the OP because FAST channels are hard to put into a box.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The only show-runners I've ever started a new show because of have been Matt Groening and Seth MacFarlane.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
All art needs boundaries. If there's nothing there to say no, you can make dumb mistakes that you don't see.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Plus, Chibnall made the Doctor a woman (and that was her sole defining characteristic).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
FINALLY had a chance to watch it. Knowing the twist in advance, I can say it was Fine, which is better than most of 13's run.

Also...how old is Rose Temple supposed to be? Because she looks older than would be possible, given Donna got married in 2009/2010.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, it wouldn't be RTD without loving with the years again. I'm still frustrated that Aliens of London takes place a year after Rose and is never followed up on again!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

thrawn527 posted:

I've only ever seen him in one thing, the Barbie movie, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in a larger role.

I can only hope his Doctor shares the same opinion on the lyricism of Stephen Malkmus as his Ken.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Don't forget that Eccleston was suffering from anorexia at that time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
While this was a good episode, I feel like none of these 60th Anniversary episodes really feel like a 60th Anniversary episode, and just feel like episodes you could have any Doctor and companion in.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The thing about Chibnall's era is, the badness wasn't always the same. There were episodes that were uniquely bad. Orphan 55 and Kerblam! are the exact opposite in terms of storytelling, and they're both crap!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think this thread (or, at least, another permutation of it) is the only place I've heard online with that criticism of In the Forest of the Night. Granted, that episode is nine years old and I could be forgetting things (although I went back to the then-current review from Radio Free Skaro and no mention of medication was discussed).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
A question to fellow Americans - have you seen ANY promotion for Doctor Who this year, either online on on TV? Because I haven’t, which could explain the viewership internationally.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
A cat would never guard you. At best, a cat would watch you get killed with a look of concern.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Boy, that sure was an RTD-penned Doctor Who episode!

In unrelated news, this thread has more pages now that the season 38 thread.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

We need an Irish and Welsh accented doctor, before moving onto Canadian and Australian and anywhere else still doing UK royalty stuff, then start working backwards through history till we have a Doctor who speaks Gaulish.

I'll say the same thing I said when someone suggested a deaf, Irish, non-binary person play the Doctor - there is NO WAY the BBC lets an Irish person be the Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

That's why it was so funny that when someone asked Moffat what they'd do when they ran out he said "we'll make something up".

Well, he did! And it made sense, which is all I ask for.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

MikeJF posted:

Honestly they didn't even need a plot where it gets resolved, they could've just dropped a single line about the Time Lords removing the limit from everyone during the war and called it a day.

I mean, they COULD have. However, the crux of the Time of the Doctor would be non-existent, and then there would be nothing memorable about it. As it stands, the episode works because you've got the Doctor saying "well, I'm out of regenerations, so I'm going to spend every day on Christmas for the rest of my life" and Clara begging the Time Lords to give the Doctor more time, like he saved them in the previous episode.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

I mean you could argue "Oh no the timelords are gone so they can't" but then RTD brought THEM back as well.

Moffat brought them back :ssh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

RTD did first, remember? Timothy Dalton as Rassilon?

:doh: I try to forget the End of Time, I really do.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

The Rutan are in all of series 3?

(this is a joke about the rumor that Martha Jones was a Rutan)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I see 121 new posts got posted so far today, but thankfully Tom Baker is still alive.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Infinitum posted:

Whoniverse sounds like Hooniverse, and honestly it's past time the Doctor put the TARDIS on its side and slapped some wheels on it

As drawn by Ed Roth.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

Also his moustache is fake because “I’ve just spent 4 years playing a teenager”. :allears:

I KNEW IT

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

PriorMarcus posted:

I've just had a thought, and I think I'm misremembering, but how does the Doctor remember Clara?

When the Toymaker says she was killed by a bird The Doctor shouldn't remember he being alive, right?

He got his memories back in Twice Upon a Time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I can't say when I'll be able to watch the Church on Ruby Road since I'll be traveling to and from family for most of the next two days, but it will probably be "eventually", if not Wednesday.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Finally got around to watching the special. It was OK, even if the goblins going back in time to kidnap baby Ruby seemed unearned as a story beat.

Stopgap thread will be up...eventually.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mrs. Flood is going to punch the walls of reality, becoming responsible for all the continuity errors in Doctor Who.

Mrs. Flood-Prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
TO

BE

CONTINUED...