Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LividLiquid posted:

Every story needs to have a baseline of consistency or nothing matters. It can break its own rules, but it can't just not set them up.

That's not true. There are countless storytelling modes where rigid conceptions of plot are not particularly important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A thing that I only learned recently is that the original impetus for the Cybermen wasn't about ordinary medical heart transplants. It was about a paper the author read about the prospect of using organ replacements to facilitate space travel.

Observe how many cyberpunk stories or, say, Repo! a Genetic Opera look at Oregon replacement and transplants under capitalism or under ecological collapse. Life-saving medical techniques are a boon for humanity, but the conditions of access can reproduce the deep-seated evils that define our society.

Persons who no longer can serve as productive members of a workforce or an army unaltered are forcibly altered by state power to serve those interests. Persons who have bodies that are inconvenient to the state or regime have those bodies altered - look at institutional sterilization of disabled people, the impoverished, and racial minorities.

I think World Enough and Time is interesting on this front. Partially because it's a continuation of Moffat's interest in "monstering" companions and sympathetic characters, but also because it treats Bill's cyber-conversion as a very specific and individual violation - but not one that can actually strip her of humanity, and later, she ascends past human biology entirely without becoming a "monster".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's airing on BBC 4 right now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

RUSSEL THE DAVIES YOU MAD BASTARD YOU DID IT

WE ARE SO loving BACK

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dhawan's Master has some kind of TARDIS in Power of the Doctor.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I watched it for the first time yesterday and feel the same way.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CommonShore posted:

the general direction of the thread rn has me really thinking about the things that I like in this show. I tend to think of it like a SF variety magazine, where it's mostly distinct content that's pulled together under a given editorial eye, and with a few recurring characters. Viewing it this way I have no qualms about tone and style shifts from story to story.

Now I'm not great at maintaining an encyclopedic memory of all content, so there are often episodes that I completely forget about even though I love them, so my lists aren't necessarily exaustive but it brings me to this point:

I think that my favourite episodes of the show are the ones that explore some hard(er, relative to the show's norm) SF nugget at the premise, and then the rest of the story gets twisted around the implications of that bit. And I think that this means that my favourite episodes are, from the full 60 year run, surprisingly, all Moffat stories, and maybe even all Capaldi stories. These are the ones that come to mind:

World Enough and Time (sf premise: time dilation)
Heaven Sent (sf premise: trapping a person in an extremely long span of time)
Oxygen (sf premise: total corporate control)

By contrast, a lot of stories have a SF theme but not really any SF idea in them: I enjoy those too, but the most recent one for example just had "fantasy space thing" and "magic sun hypnosis" and "technobabble dagger drive, and others fall very on the "magic" side of the Clarke quotation - I'm not implying any objective hierarchy in that criticism, it's just a different kind of writing and a different taste. I'm more of a reader of Ursula Le Guin than I am a viewer of Star Wars. Those episodes get carried by silly fun and scenery-chewing performances by the talent, which is the secondary thing that I enjoy about the show.

Where are some other stories where the SF of the show gets slightly harder? And am I the only one who would love to see Ted Chiang write for Doctor Who?

Christopher H. Bidmead's run as writer near the end of Tom Baker's era does a lot with pocket dimensions and entropy and suchlike.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

(though BF have been fairly... lax about attending to creator rights in recent years).

Oh word?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The jingling keys criticism has never made any sense to me. Maybe a stage magician distracting you with confetti while he sneaks a prop into your pocket would be more apt.

If anything Moffat's problem is that he sublimates so much of the actual narrative beneath insinuation and character interiority that if you don't buy into the character arcs his seasons become incoherent. Starting from S6-7 onwards, up until Bill showed up, tons of people absolutely could not be convinced to care about Clara or Twelve, and so the show lost their interest. If you didn't buy the toxic co-dependence between 12 and Clara as a compelling seed for television, half the episodes each year were built on a foundation of sand.

I think most of s6 and s7 suffer terribly from the underpinning character dynamics being undercooked. But Capaldi and Coleman's dynamic big time worked for me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

We know that 7B was a production disaster. Nightmare in silver was written assuming Victorian Clara, Moffat was in the middle of dealing with his dying mother which sort of hung over his entire era, the news that Smith was leaving blindsided a lot of the production which is why Time Of is an entire season of plot points shoved together, rearranged, and cut down...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

howe_sam posted:

RTD will never have the companion be anything other than a contemporary character because he views the companion as the audience surrogate, and it seems doesn't think the audience will relate to anything else.

She was a nanny for those two kids during season 7B, but I don't think it was her profession, just helping them out after their mother died? By the 50th she was a school teacher, and that stuck for the rest of her time on the show. Though why she made the change never really was elaborated on.

I think it's really important to consider that Russell is interested in maintaining a contemporary working class connection in Doctor Who. That's why Donna gives away her money.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The doctor being mostly in control of the TARDIS and the material realities of television production where actors want to move on create a circumstance where companions only leave in times of crisis or under tragic circumstances because otherwise the doctor could just take them home but also why would they want to go home?

I think one strategy to address this might be to have a companion who has an agenda and motivation beyond adventure - someone who has their own mystery to solve, so that they are an enthusiastic participant but still have a life plan beyond the adventure.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I really hated zygon inversion at the time for feeling centrist and wishy-washy but right now "the only way conflict ends is when people talk to each other" feels more radical than the status quo, where the entire global political establishment thinks it can be solved by bombing people into glass

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, like, it's been a while but Maehb's not actually sick in Forests Of The Night, she's being provided with useless medication to compensate for the trauma resulting around her sister's disappearance. So she's definitely, textually, being misdiagnosed like. The moral isn't to drop medication, it's that we need to listen to distressed kids instead of just doping them and thinking that's the solution when it blatantly isn't working.

It's one of those things where representations of psychic powers abutt against real world issues in ways that are confusing, because psychic powers aren't real but schizophrenia is, but the takeaway isn't that psychic powers are real any more than the takeaway from Dalek is that the Internet is controlled by a secret cabal of Utah based bunker soldiers. It's a SFnal device that gets you yo the story.

The problem is that spiritual, woo-woo, and pseudoscientific rhetoric is constantly deployed to undermine the utility, necessity, and availability of antipsychotics and ADHD medication in the real world.

It's not just science fictional characters in a science fictional universe who diagnose children with neurodivergence and mental health issues as being psychic or magical or indigo children. It fails to function as a metaphor because it depicts very literally a real delusion as true - and I'm not talking about Maehb's hallucinations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There's also ...and the Pirates!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

If we're talking BF, there's an excellent song about Beep The Meep in The Ratings War, and the songs from those Scorchies plays.

I was really disappointed that Rayner was advertising a recent play she produced as being a "full blown" musical about american fascism, and for it to only turn out to have one song, played over and over again, that was part of an in-universe fascist musical. It's appropriately dumb and mocking, but it's, you know, not what I wanted and not something I'm gonna sing along to. Even if the drat thing got stuck in my head.

"Behold America! The land of great and strong!
Then there'll be a blight / or a plebiscite / and then it's gone gone gone"

I was just looking into this Six arc two minutes ago. Apart from the musical fakeout, how is the Purity stuff? Worth my listening time?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Christ, don't tell me, Ben Elton wrote it, right?

It appears to be Matthew Sweet's work.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They clearly offer a laundry list of sources for trauma for Doctor Who dating back as far as Sarah Kingdom's death at the hands of Mavic Chen. This is definitely to make sure that every doctor from Hartnell through tennant the second are equally going to therapy, not that 11 through 13 are unique in their positions as worn out.

And also, it's not as if RTD is introducing the drat idea that the Doctor is exhaustes. Large parts of Capaldi's run were about this - he nearly refused to regenerate at all!

Anyway, the Doctor tells the Old Doctor that they are "doing rehab out of order". While this doesn't lock any specific sequence of events down beyond the ability of Big Finish and Bad Wolf productions to play around in the future, I think you have to be engaging in a paranoid reading to not interpret that as some form of twisted linear experience.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

How do you factor in the second TARDIS?

The metaphor isn’t a one meter ruler, it’s an inch-worm. And when you cut an worm in half, they grow into two different worms.

The second Tardis was created by hitting it with a cartoon hammer in the shadow of a reality-restructuring extra-universal anomaly. There have been plenty of Doctor Who stories in expanded media where the Tardis splits, buds, and re-fuses with itself. Just like the Doctor, the tardis is a complicated space-time event.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I'm with you on just going with it because Gatwa is already perfect, but I have to say, it really doesn't matter whether somebody intended to do damage if they did that damage.

If I accidentally shoot you in the face, I still have to take you to the hospital and you get to be mad at me even though I didn't intend to do it. I can't just throw my hands up and be like, "I didn't mean to shoot you, therefore you are not shot."

Oh, nice. Thank you.

The only people for whom Gatwa has been actually undermined by this were already bad faith bigots looking for excuses not to accepting him.

Anyway on the subject of Magpie what I was really surprised by was that there was no homage to the original opening sequence. Since there was so much fixation on television cameras and image reproduction, the feedback television loop that created the original Doctor Who opening could have fit in pretty seamlessly.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Thanks no I'm not a loving bigot and I say nothing in bad faith

I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of bad faith bigotry. What I'm saying is that a lot of people in this thread are anxious and paranoid that the bi-generation constitutes some sort of "gotcha" or justification that bigots can use to delegitimize Gatwa.

What I'm saying is, that audience was never going to be anything but hostile anyway. Bi-generation doesn't actually change how legitimate Gatwa is as the 15th Doctor. He's the star of the show, he's got a season in the can and another one in production, he's on all the promotions and merchandise, he's on the cover of DWM every month for the next two-four years minimum.

So we, here, can relax. We don't need to worry about how creeps and reactionaries will twist the events of The Giggle. "The ones who mind don't matter, and the ones who matter don't mind."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Superdickery.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh that Other Doctor stuff makes no sense. If she predated Hartnel, why is her Tardis also a police box?

This desire to just upset the status quo constantly just gets frustrating.

Anyways, I expected 15 at the end to stop and go "I'm not wearing any trousers" once the excitement wore off.

When 15 says "I'm not wearing any trousers", that's when the excitement starts

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

Well that's just loving dumb. Why can't these writers be content with what they actually write and put on screen instead of adding embellishments in random places to prove cool they are.

As long as Davies is just making suggestions on commentary tracks but not putting it in episode scripts fans and future writers can play with the ideas decide what they like and some future version of the show can choose to incorporate or disregard it. Davies gets to share the creative process which he's always loved doing (see the writer's tale) without imposing restrictive or overriding lore in absence of corresponding stories.

It's the same reason that Davies mentions a nightmare child but doesn't define it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Astroman posted:

I also love the fact that he is so hardcore against the TV show but loves Big Finish (and the fans). He could have said "gently caress it all" and never revisited the character or franchise and reasonable people would absolutely not blame him. Instead he's found a part of it he can embrace.

Big Finish is famous for its extremely healthy work environment. There's criticism of their writing and some of their staffing and hiring practices with regards new writers but I've never heard a bad word said about recording or post-production conditions at Big Finish Productions. So between that, flexible scheduling that doesn't require the production to be insured against Eccleston's history of hospitalization, and the steady pay I'm not surprised at all that Eccleston is having a very positive time there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

And lunches.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

That's so hosed up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Eccleston was essentially blacklisted from working in UK TV after leaving the show.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I kinda want to learn more about the adipose and also can the Slitheen be redeemed? Also, how are our Ood friends doing?

Well the Slitheen are just one crime family. The Raxacoricofallapatorians are fine on the whole.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mathieson's scripts were heavily rewritten to fit into season arcs and for improvements in general; Moffat's scripts were some of the only ones Rusty didn't doctor to hell and back. It could be that Mathieson fell out of love with the process, or it could be that Chibnall's clean slate approach alienated him.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Amy Pond, in that first series especially is mentally ill in a way that pushes against the bounds of sympathy. If you don't take it seriously you can skim over it, which is sort of the original intent. If you know someone like her in real life (*raises hand*), you can either appreciate it or be turned off hard.

You know how you can tell that some people's deviantart fetishes happened because they saw the wrong shrinking episode or something from a cheap cartoon at absolutely the wrong time in their lives? Amy had that with the Doctor. Combine that with the time crack-induced abandonment and she's deeply hosed up. But there's no time given to really dealing with it.

In many ways, Clara is another stab at a similar idea. Adventuring with the Doctor gives Clara a sense of power and importance and responsibility and protagonist syndrome that drives her to extremes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I can absolutely see that in the writing for Amy, and it's something I wish had been explored more with her. I think it, and Clara, fall apart a bit when you realize it's kind of the only way Moffat knows how to write women, and ironically is probably an ailment he's suffering from himself when writing those women.

It kind of loops back around from interesting but flawed into being a bit off putting

I'd say that Bill breaks out of this format pretty cleanly. You get the feeling that the year break gave the Moff a real opportunity to relax and refresh, especially after the tumultuous personal and professional stuff going on for his first five-ish years.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Bill is easily the best companion of Moffat's run. He also had Missy to fill that role that season, so all of that nonsense got put onto her instead, it's just it works with Missy because of her being the Master and because Gomez is so loving great.

Bill is great but I'm a late-period Clara stan because it feels like Moffat finally dialing in how to depict that kind of dysfunctional, maladaptive behavior explicitly and precisely.

The trouble is that doing so pretty firmly pushed the driving subject matter of Doctor Who out of the target zone of "kids and family television" and into "serious adult drama with Daleks in it", which was never gonna work for everyone and had a very real risk of working for nearly no one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I wanna make it clear that I have no animus or ill regard for forever delitization or rouge the bat vore or anything like that. The trouble with Amy comes from her adolescent psychosexual paraphilia showing up in real life and sweeping her away.

Also, like, sure Amy's parents came back. But that doesn't mean she has any real experiences of growing up with them. And all the way through Series 5, she's clearly dealing with severe abandonment issues that she can't even rationalize because the cause of the abandonment is science fantasy nightmare poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The better answer for why you can't rescue Angel victims should be "once you've been fed on, your original future is annihilated as anti-time by the feeding process."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HD DAD posted:

Then again I also wish Moffat stuck to his guns and just let Clara die via her own overconfidence with no take-backs.

The reason this doesn't happen is because there's no good reason why the Doctor deserves to cheat death and save planets but Clara doesn't. If you set up an episode like Face the Raven as a regeneration story, the Doctor would sacrifice themselves like 10 did for Wilf, and then probably regenerate and go back to travelling. But because of an accident of birth (or lack thereof), Clara doesn't get to have that privilege.

Why not? Because she's the wrong literal race? Not the vibe I think.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Harlock posted:

That's sort of the point, I think. Clara had been acting as a Doctor-lite and her hubris got her into a bad situation. She doesn't get to live/escape because she's not the genuine article and it serves as a tragic story that the recklessness of the Doctor shouldn't be emulated.

Why not? Why does the (historically, male upper-class) hero get to be reckless and have fun but the women and hangers-on get punished for the same decisions?

There's a reason Clara's face is in the opening for Dark Water. She's legitimate. The whole premise of her character is that she's so much like the Doctor, so legitimate in her claim to the position and legacy, that they can't be around each other because she can no longer check him the way his more human companions would.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 18, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Matinee posted:

The title card order thing never read to me as "Clara is legit on the same level as The Doctor", but more an expansion of a stinger gag that probably flew over the head of 90%+ of the folks watching at home. It's not a bad idea though, and it might have worked better if it had some proper build-up and wasn't just thrown aside five minutes in to the episode.

It isn't thrown aside! All of Series 9 is about it!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Donna and 6 :vince:

I was going to make some indignant remark about how elevating Donna to this level does it disservice to Evelyn but god. Can you imagine those two in a room? When Donna hears about the coat she'd have a meta crisis all over again with the power to razz the Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There's a tweet that goes "getting queerbaited by the MCU is like losing at chess to a dog". That's kind of how I feel about Thasmin stuff. The Chibnall era was so vacuous, so anemic, that the empty space was very easy for motivated but maybe not entirely honest fans to project their desires into.