Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gaz-L posted:

I wonder how long the BBC have known about the rights thing with An Unearthly Child, because while it IS the Daleks, I can't imagine the big 60th Anniversary colourised re-airing being the SECOND ever story is intentional, surely you'd want the bookend of the first ever story?

The first episode of An Unearthly Child is iconic, but the rest of the serial? The Daleks have a lot more to do with making the show what it is today than some cavemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Narsham posted:

Or just go whole hog and replace Time Lords with Disney characters. Gold Usher = Winnie the Pooh! Five Doctors Rassilon = the Genie! Hell Bent Rassilon = Bob Iger!

Abu, the Meddling Monkey

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

For sharp drop-offs, the Capaldi era had both Flatline to In the Forest of the Night and Extremis to The Pyramid at the End of the World.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Step down: Heaven Sent to Hell Bent.

Rochallor posted:

I'd just not bother and pretend that Capaldi regenerated into the Fugitive Doctor and had a bunch of neat adventures offscreen before turning into David Tennant again.

When I finally got around to watching series 12, I honestly thought after watching Fugitive of the Judoon that this was what they were building up to: Ruth was the real Thirteenth Doctor, and Thirteen was actually some fractured alternative split off by temporal paradoxes or alternate timelines or whatever made the Valeyard or the thing from The Next Doctor or something. The ending of that episode, where Ruth resolves everything in an extremely Doctor-typical way while Thirteen just stands there and whines that she can't do that, would have been perfect to set up that kind of eventual reveal.

I prefer to pretend that's what they went with.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fil5000 posted:

I remain baffled at people who like Doctor Who (and indeed Star Trek) who get angry at progressive politics. What on earth are they finding in the show to enjoy?

Kerblam

edit: also Kill the Moon and the Zygon Invasion

edit: for star trek, the last episode of the original series, which is explicitly a morality play about how women are too emotional and should know their place

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 10, 2023

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Less flippantly, these are people who have a very unusual definition of "political". For them, the political part of Aliens of London / World War Three isn't the 9/11 allegory where a group of politicians use false claims of weapons of mass destruction in the wake of a flying vehicle hitting a tower to drum up enough fear to start a war on false pretenses for their own profit, it's the part where Mickey is black.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Spare Parts is a christmas episode

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Khanstant posted:

watching Cold Blood and do they ever bring up the notion of a prophecy or legend or whatever to make people "ready to share" the planet again? I remember a recurring character of the species but can't remember if they revisited that 1,000 years later deal. and most future earths I remember didn't seem to have a shared planet one way or the other.

It's never mentioned again, and the recurring Silurian lives in the 19th century so she happened before the events of Cold Blood.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A show about a newsman who gets cancelled because he's recorded saying something that sounds bad out of context if you don't know that his best friend is a pedophile but is actually completely okay to say because his best friend is a pedophile but he can't explain this to the public because he needs to protect his best friend, the pedophile

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fil5000 posted:

Sorry, what was Chibnell's "wokery"? Finally casting a woman or doing a couple of episodes that acknowledged that some of history is about people who aren't white?

Don't forget he also gave us characters like "Guy with one scene and three lines who shows up, announces he's gay, and is brutally murdered five seconds later and never mentioned again"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Edward Mass posted:

Plus, Chibnall made the Doctor a woman (and that was her sole defining characteristic).

That's not her sole defining characteristic! She also really really really hates anything gun-shaped.