Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Me too, but I can't put my finger on what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The novelisation literally does go from Unearthly Child episode 1 to the Daleks. I had no idea about the cavemen for years.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also Twice Upon a Time is kinda bad and I'm not even sure it's a step down to go from there to The Woman Who Fell to Earth.

Yeah the step down is from The Doctor Falls to Twice Upon a Time

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without your replacement limbs, Doctorman Allen

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

gently caress the rich.

Wait. That idiom is too ambiguous.

Nobody ever gently caress anybody who's rich.

They have ways around that, Elon Musk has like ten kids and he's never hosed in his entire life

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shame the DVD set starts with Return of Doctor Mysterio and that his final episode is Twice Upon A Time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's the one where the Doctor and Nardole quietly slip out of a room where a bunch of innocent people are about to be horribly killed, isn't it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd like to believe that the War Lords canonically just decorate like it's Christmas all year round

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

lines posted:

Would be nice to see, e.g. a wheelchair-using companion at some point, or in general have more disabled representation on the show. For all Chibnall's faults and how unevenly it was done, I have dyspraxia, and while it doesn't impact me as much as it did Ryan it has had an impact on my life and it was good to see a character on screen explicitly struggle with it by name.

When he wasn't flawlessly headshotting alien robots because he'd played Call of Duty before that is

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Volume being...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a very cynical view of history. Good things happened too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

On the other hand it's kind of bleak that it's apparently easier to imagine time travelling klansmen than it is to imagine racism being behind us

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You have massively misunderstood Star Trek if you think the point of it is to show how great life is when you have replicators.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah the monks were werewolf cultists who wanted to wolf Queen Victoria so they'd rule the British Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9fibQvAz48

Dabir fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 23, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

New Who is over, we're in the Whoniverse era now

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This is some good loving doctor who!!!!!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor Who is back baby. It's good again. Aouuuuu (wolf howl)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The intro with Fourteen and Donna recapping the important bits from fifteen years ago? That was there on the BBC.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh I'm gonna cry when it happens

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't quite spinning, more sort of just hovering alongside the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg92hfbjyyA

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed their ray guns weren't even scratching the paint on Donna's hubby's cab, and then a second later the Doctor pointed out that as a plot point and not just rushed SFX.

Yeah I picked up on them being stun guns immediately because of that. Good foreshadowing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

River has the same origin story as Knuckles in the Archie Sonic comic

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That one's blocked for me too. Let's try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtHrhSTY9Wg

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's not even Davina McCall's first appearance, right? Wasn't she the host of Big Brother?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The biggest thing that I don't think ever gets properly conveyed is that River is the one who destroys the TARDIS in The Pandorica Opens.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's extra hard because you have two or three different 12s to pick from

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

oh that opening was some powerfully silly poo poo, brilliant

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

imagine tweeting this and not comparing it to Futurama's "ax" thing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chris Crap-all

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Anals of History posted:

That was the impression I got. They're here for a limited time and have fantastic chemistry - how do we max this out? A bottle episode with evil clones seemed like an inspired way to have the Doctor and Donna play off each other in different ways.

Agreed with all others that this feels like a return to form. Think I enjoyed that more than any single episode from the Chinball era. I'm happy that Doctor Who has gotten out, to some extent, from under the thumb of BBC. I'll take the worst impulses of Disney over the worst impulses of the UK government.

Someone earlier referenced Quantumania and I think that does a good job summarizing the problems with Chinball Who (or, at least, what I didn't like). Everything and everyone is a means to set up something bigger without giving us a reason to care, there's no tension when you know fundamentally where everything's going, there's no feeling of joy or release when the protagonist overcomes odds, and there's a distracting, overwhelming amount of CGI.

Case in point, I sort of feel a need to rewatch Flux because I genuinely can't recall anything from that series. There was nothing distinct that I cared about or felt like I need to care about for future reference. The moment of the Doctor reacting to the Flux fell flat for me because I forgot about half a universe getting snuffed out.

Did anyone else have trouble hearing what was being said during the episode? Partner said he could only hear about 10% of what was said during the episode. I had a couple of points where things said weren't clear but I chalked that up to two people with accents talking very quickly.

I'd love a figurine of the rusty, slow-moving suicide robot.

lol chinball

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a really convincing analysis, actually.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm guessing it's actually really boring and it goes straight to the end of the episode. but that's because I'm also very boring

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Going straight to the end of any Voyager episode improves the experience

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

God, how has this NOT happened yet? There's SO MANY companions across all of the Who expanded universe and I can't think of a single one that's "I'm coming with you to figure this thing out and then I'm off".

It would be very easy for that to be interpreted as them exploiting the Doctor for their own ends. I think people generally want the companions to be in it for the spirit of adventure, not knowing what's coming week to week just like us.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He did keep doing that, with Amy and Rory specifically. Him just being there kept dragging them into things, but they were family, he couldn't keep away unless he had no other choice.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Orphan 55 was the second season.

Also Demons of the Punjab's plot centers around benign characters saying something absolutely nobody would ever say in order to look like villains for no reason, then the Doctor goes "oh I'm so sorry, I didn't realise my racist assumption was out of date. I'll make a more up to date racist assumption if I see you again"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pyramid at the End of the World was a loving awful episode of television in isolation. 45 minutes of television driven entirely by people consistently making the dumbest decisions possible in order to contrive the ridiculous dilemma for Bill at the end.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

idk what's so cool about the special weapons dalek but it just is always fun to see

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Moffat had like three or four ideas he was really proud of and ran them on a cycle. Like that one hbomberguy video pointed out, he went back to the well of "massive compute that saves the minds of dead people" what, three times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor Who owns

Doctor Whowns